Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. KFK

KFK Witness

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #13- "How To Save A Life"

STC,

Can't tell you how many times I've screwed up post. I finally started to type reviews out in Word because A.) I need spell check, and B.) I need the time to coordinate and focus my thoughts. Of course, Word doesn't work well with this site, and I always have to edit out the junk that gets added...what can you do? :) I'm sure there's a better way, but this works for me. Good luck with the reviews, I look forward to your opinion.

Take Care,

Kelli

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I'll use notepad (wordpad) and type them on there. They copy over with all that gobblely gook when doing it with Microsoft Word.

If I do type the reviews here, I'll select all and then copy and paste.

3. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I don't have any problems using Microsoft Word... I just use the Verdana font and size 10 and it fits perfectly when you copy and past it here :)

Maybe you should try that ;)

Great stories, everyone :thumbsup: I'm going to review them once my exams are over...

4. KFK

KFK Witness

SSG and NF,

Thanks for the info on using Wordpad, and/or changing the font and size on Word. Just goes to show...you do learn something new everyday.;)

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

T.C.,

K.

5. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

Ah, I shall do that too - thanks guys! :)

Edit: And here you go, that worked really well!

I hope these are okay, I've never written reviews before, so I feel like a proper newbie...

A Little Death - I like the idea of lulling the reader into thinking the story is about one thing and then springing a surprise on them at the end, and the way you did it made me want to go and re-read it afterwards with the knowledge of what it was really about. I also liked the interractions between Nick and Greg, but I think it could have been a bit longer in order to explore Nick's emotions a bit more. It kept me interested, though, 'twas a good tale! :)

To Save A Life - Oh my god, I was actually worried about Nick for a while, there! I love the tension you brought to the life-saving scene, with Nelson's frustration at Bill, and Bill's impatience with the AED too - I was actually biting my nails while I read it. Then Nick's reaction of denial when Langston tells him what happened is just SO Nick, you nailed his character right there. And the idea of the Grim Reaper wringing his hands...brilliant. Well done! :)

This Man - I like the way you approached this. Writing it from Catherine's viewpoint made it a really interesting read, and showed how much respect, admiration, and love (yeah, love!) she has for him. The part where Nick wonders why Grissom never thought of him as a 'son' was so poignant that my heart went out to him, and the bit about some of the spark having gone from his eyes made me want to find a way to put it back. Lovely job, I really enjoyed this. :)

Saving A Life - I do love your style of writing, and the way you wrote this in the form of the therapist's journal and transcripted audio is an inspired idea - it makes him a calm, collected counterpoint to Nick's over-emotional state. The journal built my concern for him up to a crescendo, and you wrote the dialogue in the second part so well that I could actually hear Nick saying the words in my head as I read them! I will admit to having to google PTSD, though, and then feeling a bit daft when I saw what it was... But I loved this story, fab stuff! :)

Thanks to everyone for submitting their work!

And ha, I just noticed that I'm the only one on this thread whose avatar isn't Nick-related... :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. KFK

KFK Witness

Smokey, just out of curiosity, when can we post our songfic stories to the fanfic site? I know in the past, I may have posted mine too soon, so I wanted to check. Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Hope you're weathering the Mid-West heat, and all is well with you.

Take Care,

Kelli

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

We usually wait until after we reveal the authors. :) I had planned to do that on Sunday, hopefully giving everyone time to review (hint! hint! if you haven't yet) And yes, I plan to review before then. ;)

8. AmySparkles

AmySparkles Dead on Arrival

Hey, I'm AmySparkles.. I joined up here today and I just wanted to say I've read some of your stories and there great (What can I say, I've been a lurker for a while) :) I recently started writing Nick fics over on FanFic and I'd love to join in the next Nick fic song challenge.. It looks like fun.. :)

9. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yay, I'd love to read a songfic you wrote :D

The next challenge I hope I will be able to join again too. Can't wait for the holidays :)

10. SpasmThatCat

Welcome AmySparkles! :thumbsup:

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Welcome, AmySparkles! Glad you found your way here and I hope you'll join in future challenges! :)

Now my reviews, and I'll go ahead and reveal the authors at the same time. Everyone is free to post their stories elsewhere now if they like. :)

A Little Death (by Spasmthatcat) - :lol: You had me fooled for most of the way. I think this is very clever, and you wrote it very well. The ending is truly a surprise without being totally out of the blue and not fitting with what you wrote. Good job!

To Save a Life (by MyFutureCSI) - I do love a good Nick angst fic. :) It seems fitting that of all the things to happen to Nick...for him to survive...that it's something within him that actually sneaks up and almost takes him out for good. I think it's good for him to realize that's possible and to pay more attention to taking care of himself. I like that. :) Nice job!

This Man
    (by speedystokesgirl) - Wow! You really wrote what I'm sure every one of us thinks and feels about Nick. More than that, I think it's truly what Catherine feels, as you've illustrated here. And probably many other people that he works with as well. And I love the image at the end where she describe him sitting by the grave. Bravo! :)

Saving a Life
    (by KFK) - I really like the "clinical" feel to this. The journal was well written and realistic. The session with Nick also felt realistic, especially Nick's reactions to the things the doctor was saying. I have a good feeling about the outcome of the treatment! Nice work! :)

And just a reminder...all participants are asked to review each story as a courtesy since your stories were reviewed as well. :) Lurkers are welcome to review as well, and everyone is encouraged to join the next challenge!

12. SpasmThatCat

Thanks guys, that was loads of fun!

And I am kind of relieved that no-one said 'Oh my god, you killed LI'L STEVIE!!'
    ;-)

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ok, here are my reviews :)

I didn't look to see who wrote what, so without further ado:

A Little Death - Wow, you definitely had me going. You made it sound like Nick was talking about Warrick and that he couldn't have saved him. I'm sure all the went through Nick's mind, but it was about Little Stevie. Never knew Nick would be so sad about a spider. :)

He has to remember that Little Stevie was missing for years and he gave him love and care for the rest of his days. Now he just needs to find his spider.

Great story and great take on the song.

To Save A Life - Nick having a heart attack? Never, I say never! That was a great story. I'm glad his heart decided to stop at the YMCA too, otherwise he's friends would have had to process his place.

Maybe next time he'll listen to his doctor and don't worry Nick, Miss Right will come along. I'm working my way there now. ;)

I loved your take on the song.

Saving a Life - I really liked the take on this one. Having it be a therapist's point of view. He really hit the nail on the head when describing Nick. It's amazing he hasn't gone off before.

I think this story is begging for more. ;)

How everyone took this song was amazing. I was sure most, if not all, the stories would be about Warrick dying and they weren't. There was mention of him, but it wasn't the focus.

Well done, everyone!

14. SpasmThatCat

Ha ha, yeah, I did think that while I was writing it! Then again, I was trying to get across that he was feeling bad not because Li'l Stevie had snuffed it, but because Li'l Stevie had snuffed it while in his care, and he felt like he'd let Grissom down. I might have to work on that a bit! :)

15. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Aww man, what'a going on??? Two weeks and no one posted anything :(

Will there be a new challenge anytime soon??? I know you're busy with your own big project, Mom, so I'm just asking ;) I have a story idea myself and I wouldn't want to start it just to take a break because I want to write a songfic :lol: So please... can you tell me if there will be a challenge soon or if I can write my fic right away?