The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

It's commonly used here too, but it's not really correct. It's like everyone would believe that Scandinavia and the nordic countries are the same, or British Isles, United Kingdom and Great Britain are all the same. Oh, some people already do. But it won't make me accept it. :shifty:

Yes, Sweden played in EC and WC. Not next year though. But we never succeed. I can't recall when we did reach the quarter finals the last time, nor went really far in the tournament. Not since WC 1994.

Speaking of juniors, I think Sweden have quite many talented and good juniors. The problem is that they barely get the chance to play for our national team. As the coach usually want the older and more experimenced players to play the games. Escpecially important games. Whenever it's training/friendly games some juniors may be used as the "better" players often tend to decline as they would like to play for their clubs instead for the national teams.

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well I didn't say that it is exactly correct, I just said in our norms it is accepted to use that version ;)
    And yes..someone calling UK as England and claim that Finland is in Scandinavia annoys me. And in Finnish, I am called that most of people and media call Estonia Viro instead of Eesti. Erm..to the point.

If I remember right, our U20 team has done well too. And of course our women. I know Swedish women have been top forlong and they are a kickass team, but somehow it was funny to see when our women succeed in their EC few years ago and there were lots of news and how women did what men have been trying to do for decades and then they just.. belittle it :lol: :lol: Too bad it doesn't get the respect it should get.

And oh, about leagues. I feel so bad that I haven't been following Premiere League this year. And our own league, team of this city where I study, was last in our national league and was dropped on level down :(

3. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

The swedish U21 have been great for a long time. Okay, maybe not great. But many awesome players have played for U21, and still do. They just don't get any attention.

Well, as the swedish football season starts in april and ends in early november, I have to watch other leagues too if I don't want to get withdrawal symptons. So I actually watch Premier League and La Liga, even if I don't support any teams. I just watch the games and try to enjoy them.

Too bad that your local team was dropped down :(

4. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

football you mean what they call here Gridiron. or what i call NFL

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I don't know what Gridiron is but Football in this thread is what us North American's call Soccer :)

6. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

u mean like chelsea FC

7. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Yes, exactly. We are talking about that kind of football. But not only clubs/teams like Chelsea FC as we also talk about national teams here.

8. Ducky

Three days until World Cup start!!

Meh I'm going to miss first 3 days games :( Thankfully Netherland's first game is on Monday :D

So who is you favourite? Who wins? Teams that you hate?

I cannot stand Brazil. I just can't. Or France.

So my faves or Netherlands and Germany and.... North Korea! Okay, not... :p And I guess I'll also cheer for Denmark, only Nordic Country out there.

Speaking of France, in ESC they said France's entry is theme of team France in WC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4acm3gcWhAE

Kind of catchy and footballish :p ..and kind of ...French :lol:

9. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

ah.. so here is the worldchampion thread....:cool:
    Being from the Netherlands... my favourite is of course the netherlands ;)
    (and Robben will play.. unfortunately though not next monday against denmark)

as all dutch people (okay most of them, well say 50%) at the beginning of a tournament.. I'm hopelessly optimistic about our chances... so right now I'm almost sure we will be the next worldchampion ;)

10. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

^ When was Robben cleared as ok to play?

Much as I'm looking forward to the World Cup, it's a shame so many players are injured!

I am really, really looking forward to it though. I love my football so I cannot wait for the tournament to start.

Obviously I want England to win and I shall both blindly believe and hope that they will right up until the dying seconds of the penalty shootout that we will clearly end up in. ;)

11. Ducky

^^As long as they are let to play in their orange shirts.

I still blame that last time when Netherlands lost to Portugal, it was because they had to play in white shirts.

12. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

I am sooooooo (with that many o's) excited!

Just getting ready for South Africa vs Mexico!

13. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

LOL----he appeared in a comercial for motoroil in a supermarket.....I thought to myself. "OH someone must have been "employer of the month" since he gets to photo there?":lol::lol::lol:

Needless to say: boyfriend thought that was extremely funny.

But - yes - Ronaldo - Ronaldiho and Christian Ronaldo....Called the guys by their name...

So 1-1 Mexico - South Africa....Well played by both countries.

Experts and media say "Holland (or Netherlands)"

I guees players:
    1. also has bad periodes in their normal clubs but bounce back. Not a possibillity during the World cup or WM.
    2. are so unacustomed to each other that they perform very well as the national team as they do othervise.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  14. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

South Korea 2-0 Greece
    The first winner of this World Cup! :D:D:D

15. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Robben has been cleared yesterday.. but will be spared for the match against Denmark.. (unless they will need him .... )

It's the Us for england this evening... very curious...:)

no argument here :D