Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byline

byline CSI Level One

I think Ray's main flaw is his inability to bond with the team as a whole, and that's something that really has to be shown, not told. Ray and Doc Robbins obviously have a close bond, and I think Ray and Nick are bonding, as well. With everyone else, he seems to have an "arm's length" relationship, though I don't think that's been portrayed as well in the writing as it could have been.

One of the reasons I always loved "Law & Order" is because it rarely focused on the characters' private lives, and even when it did, it was usually more of a passing reference, rarely delving directly into it. There's a fine line between conflict and soap opera, and I think sometimes TV writers place too high a premium on conflict and overdo it. And, of course, we as viewers all have a different tolerance for how far interpersonal conflicts should go. Obviously my preference is that they be fleeting, at most. I'm far more interested in the cases, and how the main characters respond to those cases, than I am in their interpersonal conflicts. After all, it's what first drew me to the series and held my interest. That, and the fact that William Petersen was starring, were what I found so engaging about "CSI" in its earliest seasons.

I like seeing seeing Catherine and Sara getting along and working together waaay better than seeing them bickering. I hated it when the writers wrote Sara as being neurotic about Grissom and jealous toward Sofia, and was so happy to see them getting along later on. So, obviously, "controversy" (especially when it feels contrived, created just for the sake of creating more "conflict" amongst the main characters) doesn't work for me. But that's just my personal taste.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I can't believe it, but I totally agree with you PC:eek: He [Hodges] never thinks he's wrong, and some of the time he is. I also wonder if I'm watching the same show as others. Ray is constantly pointing out his own flaws, about his dad, and things he's done wrong in his prior position, and how he strives to understand the team and his own faults. He's the furthest man I've seen from the word Perfectionism In "Doctor Who" how he tore down all his 'crackpot' clippings, realiazing they might not be right a 'perfectionist' would never think or do anything like that, cause' they always think their right:confused: He's so humble, and a man who think's he's perfect is not a humble man~

3. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Holy crap!!

:guffaw:

It's a good day when me and one of my nemeses agree on something.

(P.S. It's a compliment when I call someone a nemesis. ;) )

4. Desertwind

It is? in my dictionary, it says nemesis..cause of one's downfall that's not true and very harsh,[the Websters definition I mean] nobody is really ever right or wrong on any board, just different ideas, theories, opinions and the old adage "perception is reality" not really:confused: and BTW on your icon, Greg/Wendy:confused: I hardly ever saw them even talking, See right there I thought everyone was going for the Hodges/Wendy romance. You saw something I never did..:shifty: and "you're a trip", and that's a good thing:rommie:

5. PraetorCorvinus

Latest tweet from Dustin Lee Abraham. Nothing spoiler-y, but still something:
    DLA's twitpic

6. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

And my thought is that we all try to connect with them psychically through the pic and get them to write some GOOD stuff! :lol:

7. PraetorCorvinus

But you can only use this power for good. No giving the writers brain aneurysms. Unless they decide that next season's special musical guest is Miley Cyrus... Or that there's even a special musical guest...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

It's kind of nerve racking to know that they're writing the scripts as we discuss it online. I wonder if they read what we post? Hopefully they do so maybe some good change will occur.

As, I'm writing this some cat is walking by my windowsill.:eek: Maybe, that's a good omen for season 11! How can next season not be good?

9. Washington Pride

Washington Pride Rookie

I agree with you AFIS. How can season nine not be a winner? I am glad that everyone seems to be off the doom and gloom that had settled on this site. Heck even PraetorCorvinus and Desertwind and getting along :)

10. Desertwind

Exactly Gsriscool only fun things from now on. And Preator and I are good, just don't see eye to eye on some issues. and on that thought, Miley Cyrus your kidding right? that'll be the day:rolleyes:TPTB are still the best in the industry and S/11 will rock and be sensational and riveting as always~can't wait;)

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Ugh..don't mention that name right now..that girl is ticking me off right now!!!!:scream: If she's ever on CSI..I'll hurl!

I'm hoping they're thinking CSI:Glee..yeah..Nick singing again..woohoo!:bolian::thumbsup:

12. electra

electra Pathologist

^ When Nick was singing? My guess when Mandy asked him but I can not remember well.

Agree with Byline that I hated the bickering between Sara and Catherine.I like them as friends.I liked how she talked to Catherine at the premiere.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

He sang twice (technically three) on the show. Once when Mandy asked him to and in Grave Danger he was singing on the way to the crime scene and in the second part he was singing while underground (he was trying to keep himself calm).

14. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Oh, I completely agree about the Sara vs. Sofia vs. Catherine ill-contrived conflicts. I hated those.
    I don't necessarily want conflict between the main characters, just something to make it interesting. Since Ray is so mellow and 'likable', we need a new Lab Director to ruffle things up a bit, and Catherine needs to lock horns with someone; she's always been good at that.
    I feel the writers are doing a better job with some of the crime storylines, but I still would like to see some well written (meaning non-cliche) workplace drama that would bring out some of the spunk in our CSI's. Grissom was often up against the bureaucracy as supervisor.

A CSI:Glee? EEK! Don't even think about it!
    I think Bones and Fringe both tried something different by doing the musical/dream stuff. And they were both awful, IMO.
    Maybe if it's limited to a dvr extra, it would be fun to see.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  15. byline

byline CSI Level One

But even that feels "old hat" to me. Maybe it's because of the plethora of crime shows on TV, but how many times have we seen that played out? If it were done imaginatively, then yes, that would be great. But it seems to me that so many of these things have already been done so many times before. Nothing new under the sun, and all that.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.