Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electra

electra Pathologist

IMO they did not presented Grissom as infallible.He lacked social skills and it showed when he was a supervisor.WP created an awesome character with his love for bugs,witty comments and dedication to science.Even his failures were entertaining to watch,especially when it was Catherine pointing them out.

Geeno,I do not think Catherine is bitchy either.She is direct and does not hold anything back but she has always been that way.If anything she is softer now.

2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I think the past season was more like the 'Ray and Nick' show overall. They were the ones always working together on cases. I agree that we did not see Catherine as much overall. Ray has pretty much dominated the show, with a side of Nick and then the others, with the exception of a few episodes.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Watching last nights "Ghost Town", I realized that the show has gone in a new direction, and maybe by the teams standards. A better more lackadaisical atmosphere. Grissom was always miffed off at someone at one time or another, and yelling and putting his peeps on supsension. He screamed at Greg, fought with Brass and him and Cath were at each others throats alot. They were so out of sync with each other, and on many things. With Ray everyone is more peaceful and calm and even Cath is more serene. Whether it's because she's got a love life going on or whether it's because of Ray's mellow persona. He's never mad at anyone on the team and is their equal, and it permeates into them, and they like that. When she's working with him she's more like a person who's happier. And I think I'll scream if one more person says "It's the Nick and Ray show":scream: LF was hired to be the new lead, how long will it take for some fans to get that? And what works is what works. If Nick and Ray work alot together, it's because they work well together,:rolleyes: and in last nights ep. it was Nick and Sara, and Cath and Ray, I think the writers try to balance the show so more of the team are together and sometimes it seems that it's two working together more than others, but it's really not. now to me the show has gone in a new calmer, down to earth, maybe even better CSI IT'S A TEAM CONCEPT THAT WORKS:bolian:

4. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry, but when has Grissom screamed at Greg or gone after Cath's throat? The nature of your statement implies that Grissom was constantly doing said actions.

The only time Grissom has gotten angry with Greg was in "Gentle, Gentle" and it wasn't at Greg specifically. It was the nature of the case that was frustrating him and unfortunately vented on Greg who was only doing his job. How is this different from Ray lashing out at Wendy who wanted to take his DNA as part of her job?

And Cath and Grissom were far more understanding of each other than you're giving credit for. They had each other's backs far more often than when they were 'going for their throats'.

The only time I can recall Grissom and Brass fighting was in "All For Our Country" because the investigation was leading toward bad cops. An understandable confrontation given that Brass firmly (and correctly) believed that his guys weren't bad and Grissom was just going where the evidence led him.

5. Desertwind

He screamed at Greg in "Gentle Gentle" he pushed the cart out of the way on what Greg was working on, and said something to effect of "This is your only prirorty":klingon: [the dead baby] everyone was stunned and gaping in disbelief at his behavior. He also talked down to Greg many times, "Are we paying you by the word"? and "Is this going to be a short story, or a novel" and when Greg was wearing that show-girls headress Grissom was looking at him with an angry face, as Ray would have probably laughed. And when he and Cath were working together, as I perceived it she always had a furrowed brow, and was never understanding what he was doing or what he was thinking, and visa-versa. Everyone sees the scenes with the team members differently I guess. He was constantly insulting Hodges, was always arguing with Ecklie and got mad at Warrick and Nick numerous times, I guess that was his job and what they did, he thought was wrong. My point was that Ray never goes off at anybody, regardless, of the situation at hand, and he didn't yell at Wendy, just refused a DNA test. Riley was mad at him when he jumped in that hole, to retrieve the gun from that wounded guy, [what was the name of that ep.?] and chewed him out, and he just walked away and didn't feed into her rants.:shifty:and everyone can rationalize or explain what or why someone else does, it's all how another person percieves that particular scene.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. PraetorCorvinus

I still disagree with you, DW, but as you said - some scenes can and will be interpreted differently. And I really don't want to dwell on this.

However, this conversation reminded me of something that relates back to what others were talking about in regards to Grissom and whether or not he's 'flawed'.

Of all of the apparent negative traits Grissom held, I think the worst was nepotism. The clearest example to me was when he was about to chastise Greg about playing loud music in the lab again - only to discover it was Sara who put it on and thought twice about it. I believe this was a season 7 episode - they were dating at the time - but I forget which. This is also an example of why interoffice romances are frowned upon.

In some regards, playing favorites has it's benefits. Grissom obviously would defend his team against the rest of the lab and/or PD no matter what. But within the team, he has disregarded the general chain of command in favor of those he prefers. I think this is the only negative thing I can say about him. Otherwise, I'm totally behind him. :)

7. byline

byline CSI Level One

I agree that Grissom was not infallible, and that's one of the great things about this character. However, I think his personality changed, and the change was most dramatic when he was losing his hearing. He became much more introverted, less gregarious than he'd been previously (something that I can understand, by the way, having hearing loss myself). Even after he regained his hearing, his personality never completely reverted back to the fellow we came to know early on.

8. Desertwind

I as well, don't want to dwell on this, and I'm not comparing them their totally different personailties, although some traits are similar. No one adored the character Grissom more than I did, I was heartbroken and devastated when he left. I was just saying that the team is more harmonious, mellowed and happier now then they were then~and Ray considers them his new family [go read the new fan-fiction tread about him and his "new family"] and would fight for them as they've done for him!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

You said it. And he favored Sara, Warrick, and Greg. No matter what you say Grissom was unethical in have a relationship with a subordinate. Especially after he chastised Catherine and Nick for their indiscretions.

So Grissom wasn't perfect, far from it. Now the difference of Grissom going off on someone and Langston is this: Grissom was the supervisor, Langston is not.

Grissom would fight to the death for his team, Langston I'm not so sure.

As for his team, Nick was really the only one that Grissom repeatedly treated bad. Even Tarantino saw that when he said Grissom treats Nick like a bastard step-son. :lol:

Grissom and Catherine were not constantly at each other throats. :rolleyes: There is no interpretation on it, they weren't and the evidence is on the show. They were sometimes, they disagreed, the 'fought', but all the time? Ummm, no.

I wish Grissom would come back, because maybe Petersen would smack tptb upside their heads. :lol:

10. PraetorCorvinus

Speedy, the moment I wrote my response I knew it would draw you out. :lol:

While I do agree that Gris often would put Sara and Warrick above Nick, I think that at times he treated Greg either the same as Nick or lower. I see this mainly from events in Season 6 on. Thus the Tarantino quote no longer applies.

And I find it funny that Cath is never mentioned in regards to the chain of command missteps Gris took. Probably because if he tried, she'd bitch slap him. :lol:

11. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Disclaimer - I am not nor do I want to be a member of Facebook. This is supposedly posted on Liz Vassey's facebook page. I got it from the IMDB CSI board and I do not know the original source (and don't have a link)!

In other words - 2nd or 3rd hand info here!​

-----
    They're breaking up the team at the Las Vegas crime lab: According to the Ausiello Files, Liz Vassey, who plays Wendy on the hit CBS procedural 'CSI,' is reportedly exiting the show after her contract was not renewed for another season.

Though a rep for CBS declined to comment, an insider told Ausiello that "the show is going in a different creative direction in its 11th season."

Considering that 'CSI' will be back for an eleventh season this fall -- in its same timeslot on Thursdays at 9PM -- the network may be looking for ways to rejuvenate the show to get a couple more years out of it. Trimming a cast of about ten to six could save money, but for longtime fans of the show, the loss of Wendy is a sad occurrence.

As one of the lab techs, Wendy was smart and funny and itching to get out on a case. Her romance with fellow-lab worker Hodges (Wallace Langham) was sweet and endearing, although now it's looking like the two won't be getting together after all.

Meanwhile, while Vassey may be leaving, it was reported in April that CBS had extended its contract with Laurence Fishburne through the 2010-2011 season.

It'll be interesting to see exactly what the new direction for the new season will be ... and if fans will approve.
    -----

In the opening credits - LF, MH, GE, ES, WL, LV, RDH, DB & PG. I think they include Jorja as #10 but I'm not sure. We know Liz is gone but it will be interesting to see who else stays and who goes.

Susan

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Would he really fight for the team? I have my doubts on that - at this point. We saw the team rallying behind him in the last few episodes with the Jekyll case, but I'm not so sure if things were the other way around.

I also still don't think he's comfortable with calling them "his family" yet. In many cases, we still see his struggles as being the 'outsider looking in'.

Maybe with how things ended in season 10, we'll see the beginning of Season 11 have him start to be more comfortable with all of them.

13. Desertwind

Thank's blackflag interesting, lets hope things change for the better and they woo her back. and BTW killer icon of Nick:pand on Ray, he was hestitant in "Doctor Who" till Nick said "Ecklie is going to be mad at US" and he goes "US", Nick goes "Yeah were a team" and Ray smiled, & was taken aback by this revelation & he would certainly go to bat for them as they've done for him~

*Footnote* from Marg when she was on "The View" a few weeks ago. She talked about many things breast cancer, her son and CSI, then Whoopi asked her "how's the Fish doing" she threw her head back in laughter, and said "how amazing he was and he had big shoes to fill with the loss of WP", then said "He's a class act" She's not a two-faced phony and her comments were genuine and real. I have a new profound respect for her, cause' that's what I think too~

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  14. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I truly can't believe they're getting rid of Liz Vassey. I felt she was finally ready to get out of the lab and become a CSI and they get rid of her?!

15. phantomscreams

phantomscreams Hit and Run

Doubt that is true, I'm sure people are bound by NDAs and can't talk about it on a personal site like Facebook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.