Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I was thinking of how dead on my step-brother was regarding E/C. Last season he stated TPTB had painted themselves in a corner with this romance. He didn't see where it could go because it wasn't a great storyline. There was nothing that could be done with it except let it sit on a backburner and perhaps die,or to keep throwing drama at it.It's too bad TPTB chose the drama route.

2. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

What scares me is how hell-bent they are on sacrificing every other storyline they have on the E/C altar. Looks to me like they threw away just about every other good recurring character for those E/C moments. Somebody mentioned (and I agree) that in the very last minutes, why couldn't have they forked over the money to have Dave Benton and Michael Travers faint? Maybe even Maxine Valera if she's not completely gone by now. I mean, aren't they part of the team? Sort of?

Wasn't Maxine Valera there since S1? Anybody know? But no, I suspect they had to get that drama in.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think Maxine's been there since Season 2, but now that I think about, they only really did a close-up of the random girl in the green shirt. Other than the main characters, she was the only one who got a closeup, so that makes me think she's the one who will die. Unless that last scene was Calleigh's "Swan Song", which I highly doubt, but that's probably what they want fans to think.

4. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I believe Valera's first episode was Season 2, episode 1 "Blood Brothers," which also introduced us to the great Clavo Cruz.

As far as I'm concerned, the real Calleigh died in that Hummer in "Going Under" (S5) and what we've been subjected to for the last few seasons is an evil twin. :shifty:

5. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

That is a very good analogy of this nomance. And I have nothing more to add then an "I agree!" :thumbsup:
    They definitely did... In all of the Eric scenes they had last season, would it of killed them to sacrifice just ONE of his scenes so we can see Valera? She's been there almost as long as AR has been there, so I think she deserves some screen time. And why did the cameras focus on the lady in the green shirt falling... It would have been much more effective if it was one of the recurring characters falling... We didn't even see Dave, Travers or Valera collapsing to the ground and last time I checked they work there too. I think it's more important to show them then some random person who works there that we've never seen before...
    :guffaw: :guffaw: How true is that?! The writers should incorporate that into the story, finally something ORIGINAL from that show... HAHA! Unfortunately the odds of the real Calleigh coming back to save the show are next to none... Too bad the writers don't read this thread... :rolleyes: They'd get a TON of ideas and things they need to change from us.

6. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

So true. It would be actually cool to learn that Calleigh actually died in that car-crash and she has been imagining everything :lol:. At least that would be the only way possible for me to cope with this crap :p

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It was the abduction. Calleigh never returned from that point on. Somewhere in Miami they'll find her still tied-up & gagged sitting in that warehouse waiting to be found. I bet Cooper had her swapped to get back at Horatio and Eric -- "this person is now what you have to put up with for firing me" :lol:

8. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Cooper is not that smart ... but Ron Saris is. :devil: Perhaps he had a hand in it ...

9. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Well heck, since we're talking conspiracy theories....

Rick Stetler had Delko fired in "Shattered" and then paid him off with the stolen cars and drugs to disappear in Brazil, along with Yelina. Since S4 he's been keeping some guy who LOOKS like him on the payroll.

Ditto for Calleigh. Peter Elliott realized his love for her after Monica West got arrested and proposed to her. They're now on some classified mission somewhere in Uruguay.

10. slower

slower Lab Technician

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:This sort of reminds me of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". They both grew out of pods, with altered personalities. I want the old Eric and Calleigh back. They were competent CSIs, with character. We knew who they were and the were interesting. Now I don't even recognize them anymore.

11. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Can you explain why you think Calleigh's character died in Going Under? That was the episode where Jake was introduced, but can't see how her character changed drastically from there. Up to that point, she had already had at least two or three very bad relationships. I think she changed when Delko was shot and her character stiffened up and withdrew from there.

12. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Actually we are not implying she literally died during Going Under 'cause it's pretty clear she survived it and oh well she wasn't that bad right after it.
    In all honesty while I do think that Eric Delko died (figuratively) during "Man Down" ( I so wish he would have died in there instead of constantly being pouting because that's all his character has to do right now), I don't think Calleigh Duquesne died during s5 'cause I actually enjoyed her during that season 'cause, hey she was so happy whenever I saw her interacting with Jake.

The problem with Calleigh began right after "Stand Your Ground", in my honest opinion. I still cannot belive she was brave enough :)rolleyes:) to accuse Jake of being the alcoholic one when she was the one who drank way too much, she was the one who created that mess...there were many other ways to escape from that inferno instead of shooting as if she had been in the farwest...but oh nooo Calleigh Duquesne was Miss Perfect and she couldn't face such thing, Jake was the one who drank too much and lead her to shoot her in the middle of the street.....that was insane in my opinion.

But, then again, I could try and understand her POV (though, I will never forgive her accusations against Jake....NEVER). What made me completely lose respect for her character, and I'm quite sure that the old Calleigh would have never done, was the whole cheat sheet stuff when she covered Eric. Ok she's a good person, she cares about the others...but my god she has a brain!!! Calleigh Duquesne would have used her brain!! Nope, this Calleigh had to remake her proficencies tests because she had to cover all Eric' shit 'cause that's what the guy had been making ever since his first bullet in the brain.

These things made me wish she would have died some time in the past. The fact most of us believe she "died" sometime between s5 and s5 lead us to speculate on a possible death during Going Under ;)

Hope this post made sense :p

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  13. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting take on Stand Your Ground. Hadn't really considered that POV.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

It made perfect sense, Flo!

Calleigh's action's in "Stand Your Ground" were completely unprofessional and reckless. And you're right. It's entirely possible it was due to her drinking before the incident. She paid the bill. Are you telling me she paid the bill and didn't know how many drinks she paid for? I don't buy it. Too convenient. She knew how many drinks they had and I wouldn't doubt for a minute that she shared in drinking too much.

Her recklessness behavior in that episode is no different than Horatio's reckless behavior at times - except Horatio's reckless behavior is never fueld by alcohol and Horatio never gets a free pass from viewers.

In that opening sequence Calleigh was presented as larger than life, fearless (stupidly so - probably fueled by the alcohol) and comic book:

*a gun pointed directly at her head and she opts to go for her gun - not very intelligent - and not very successful! She's lucky THEY didn't pick up her gun - go with it - and use it to kill someone innocent! Similar to Eric's badge being used to kill someone when it was taken while he was "toothing." They downplayed that because the individual who was killed by the dude using Eric's badge was a criminal, but he was still killed because they guy was able to get the upper hand using Eric's badge. Eric was responsible for that death.

*standing in the middle of the street in pants so tight I'm surprised she could breathe and boots with 6" heels shooting at an oncoming vehicle :rolleyes: - get your sorry ass out of the street (and don't tell me she didn't have time to move - she stood there FOREVER just looking at the on-coming vehicle - again, was the alcohol slowing her reflexes? (yeah, I know it was in slow motion - she still had time to move her butt out of the middle of the street)! :scream:

I think that it had been building up for sometime that "someone" wanted to complete with the guys for action scenes and stunts and with the lead for position. I think this episode was designed to take that desire forward. But is was a badly orchestrated attempt. Rather than make Calleigh look fearless, and in control and capable it made her look weak and incompetent and incapable.

Bad decision all around and a huge addition to the destruction of that character.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

There was an Italian show back some years ago when something similar happend to its protagonist (anothe woman ;)), but oh boy the situation was handled in such better way from everybody.

The protagonist was following a thief when suddendly the man turned around and tried to shoot her. She instantly pulled the trigger and BANG she hit a little guy who happened to run in that mess at the wrong time.

I felt for her throughout the episode, why? Rather simple, she hadn't drunk before the incident and above all, she wasn't the one who created the mess, she wasn't the one who wanted to kill somebody (for god's sake Calleigh aimed at their heads!!!) ....she unfortunately hit a little boy because her was in the wrong place at the wrong time....that's it. I can justify her behaviour but not Calleigh's one :rolleyes:

Theresa no problem. I'm actually glad you found interesting 'cause that is what irked me most of the episode ;)