CSI: NY Moves to Friday Night at 9pm Next Season

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 19, 2010.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

CBS just announced their fall schedule, which reveals that CSI: NY is moving to Friday nights at 9pm in the fall. It's paired with a new show called Blue Bloods.

What are your thoughts on the move? Are you worried about the show? Or do you think NY will fare better on a less competitive night?

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

We all know that CSI:NY will score lower ratings compared to this season but it will surely dominate it's new timeslot as there isn't really big competition on Friday nights.

3. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I truly hope it will do well in it's new time slot... but I fear for it's future.

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

The thing is that I know for sure I will be watching CSI NY on the internet now because I'm never home on Fridays. I don't even know what's on TV on a Friday night. I'm not really sure if ratings take into consideration DVR and much less sure internet and there will probably be an increase in those next season. At least that's my opinion.

5. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

This doesn't really affect me in the UK but I've heard both positive and negative feedback from people it will affect. I hope it does well in it's new spot.

6. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I'm worried about the show because it won't get the exposure it really deserves. How many people who watch CSI: NY go out every Friday night? With DVR, Internet, and on-demand viewing, I think the ratings will go down. However, expectations will be less so the ratings might be acceptable for Friday nights.

For CBS, I believe you won't find any other show that will perform well on Wednesday 10pm. "The Defenders" sounds awful.

I'm glad for CSI. At least it stays on Thursday 9pm!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Is this 9pm eastern or central? If it's eastern that means it'll be on 8pm Fridays my time and that probably means I'll have to give it up or I'll have to record in another room and watch later. They're moving Supernatural to 8pm central Fridays and I don't have DVR, so...

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

^It's 9pm eastern.

9. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Not surprised by the news but also not as disheartened as I'd thought I might be. Just too many new pickups for that kind of shake up not to happen, and matched against the other announced schedules, you can see the chess game being played.

Something curious to consider in the mix is also summarized in an article here, Fight Is On For Friday Nights. Could be that this is CBS's move in relation to what could be an attempt to recoup viewers lost to cable, when in the past Friday seemed an expendable night. Seems it isn't anymore. Well, I'm hoping it's viewed as more than a night for "cast offs."

I think NY is also supposed to be the anchor in the evening, but hope it doesn't suffer too much for the move. I think Wed was too ripe for picking not to have had the slots given to a new show with CM as a lead in. As for the CM spin off, I was a wee bit surprised to hear it was picked up, but not surprised at a mid-season start, I think it needs a lot of re-tooling.

Was more surprised to see Miami move, and CSI stay in it's Thursday slot, but paired with Mentalist I think CBS was trying to keep some points of consistency too. Their staple really does seem to be the crime genre. Either way, glad to see NY back for at least one more.

What happens to NY after Sinise's contract is up, mind you, who knows. It's a big year for new shows, esp. dramas, and it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

It may not be as doomNgloom as seems, but I just hope it doesn't become a show that now perpetually gets bounced around until no one knows when it's on anymore. I suspect that, depending on how some of the new shows do and how some of the carry-overs fare in new slots, and with mid-season stuff to consider, there could be more shuffling in CBS' schedule to come.

Very interestink.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

HMMM I've said it before, it could be the death of NY! We'll have to wait and see I guess. Although Friday's at 10 could have been worse. But at least it's not competing with Friday Night Lights.

Side note: Big Bang Theory moving to Thursdays, YEA!!!!

11. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Mentioned already in another thread...
    where I live (netherlands) fridaynight is a kind of prime time... many viewers.... especially around 20:30 ....
    people go out around 22h...

It's interesting to see the difference :)

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I live in the UK, so it won't really affect me. Here, there are worse nights than Friday (Sunday night for e.g.) but I guess weeknights are always better because more people are in.
    Here NY is on Sat night, and it seems to do well for itself.

Contract issues with the actors could be interesting, especially if it's not just Gary's contract that ends in 2011. I thought Melina's contract was coming up in the not-too-distant future, as well. I know Marg Helgenberger's contract for Vegas is coming up soon too.
    So we will have to see.

I just hope the writing gets back up to par in s7. I know timeslots are important, but so is good, strong writing.

13. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm with the UK people on it doesnt bother me hugely but find it funny how in US Fridays are bad night when in the UK it normally has the big shows and its normally a big night for tv Fri/Sat. NY has always hate bad rep tho with Five for me because especially in the past few seasons its been moved time slots continuously from 9pm usual to 9.40 or 10 even so there is never any consistent timing tho recently its fared better but frustrating.

I hope it gives it a chance to come back because if its not up against as many big hitters it maybe has more of a chance. I read some of the EW comments and some people said they would actually tune in now on a Fridays because of NY and apparently the new show after is Tom Selleck? An possibly if the new show does well then people will tune in early and watch NY.

I was actually more surprised over Miami because of how dominant its been in its Monday slot and moved to a Sunday which seems odd same with moving Big Bang CBS seem to have had a major shake up.

I saw the CM spinoff coming though surprised over the mid season start but I'm definitely intrigued by that one.

But then CBS seemed to have just shaken everything up.
    I hope it benefits NY and is a good sign but then if contract agreements are coming up could shake it up again depending on everyone and I watched something when Marg from LV said hers was up this year and she still hadn't been asked to resign yet which is interesting.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

They may be able to squeeze an 8th season out of it, but generally speaking Friday nights is where shows that are past their prime go to die. Considering how the last two seasons have gone it wouldn't surprise me a bit if next season is it. As far as I'm concerned they'd be putting it out of its misery to axe it.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

that is interesting - i think they have a point that weekend scheduling generally is something of a chicken and egg situation - do you put stuff on that no one will watch because you assume they're all out, or do people go out because there's nothing on?

how do thursdays usually compare with mondays in the states? tbh being in the uk the ins and outs of us scheduling go a bit over my head, i just need to know when stuff's on so i can arrange to see it somehow. is thursday seen as better or worse than monday? i <3 bbt, so i hope it sticks around for a while :D

absolutely!!!

exactly, friday night 9pm is pretty highly fought over in the uk isn't it, generally? it's either big new shows (ashes to ashes being the current holder on bbc1, which is a big show and has been hugely popular), and there've definitely been a lot of grumbles when other shows have moved *from* that slot in the past (i'm thinking of stuff like hignfy moving to thursdays which i think people thought would kill it, although thankfully it hasn't!). strange how things work differently in different places i guess.

absolutely! five are pretty good at that generally, it gets really annoying - their other channels (fiver and fiveusa) are better for consistency but having a non-static slot really makes a show suffer. if you don't have something like sky+ series link to ensure it's always taped, you find yourself missing bits of it:scream:

that's a good point - even if friday audiences in the us are generally smaller, it'll at least give it a chance to get a hefty audience share, if it's up against other things that aren't so popular.

i agree with the latter point - i think if it's going to end, they need to end it, not just let it drag on. the actors' contract arrangements will probably feed into that too; if their contracts are due up at the end of s7 anyway, it might make it a good juncture to just say enough is enough and go out with a bang, instead of hanging around and fizzling out with a whimper.