Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by happyharper13, May 19, 2009.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Re: Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Par

I think that two people can work together and be in a relationship. It's a matter of how they handle it and if they are mature enough to separate personal from professional. Given the current couples in CSI, Vartann and Cath have it easier in the sense that they are not side by side often so they can keep those boundaries more in check. Hodges has already expressed his anxiousness over the relationship affecting his job/career, so I think that's that. If he feels that way then in some level it'll be a problem for him if he decided to pursue a relationship with Wendy.

I've always found it very interesting how some people are against shows like CSI having romantic couples. I think that it's pretty natural for people who work so closely together and share so many hours to sometimes take a more personal interest and so I find it pretty realistic to see romance between characters on these types of show. I don't think it takes away from the show if it's done correctly. I guess that the biggest problem occurs because people have different opinions on what "correctly" means.

2. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I like the fact that Cath/Lou are mature enough as well. They both know the stresses of the job and know how much it can take out of a person. Cath is the supervisor now and she has a lot of responsibilities. I think Lou can be sympathetic to that and know that she is also a mother.
    So in their case, it can work because they are technically not on the same job or would even have the same shift.

To me this relationship wouldn't have an adverse effect on the show. Because of the fact that Vartann is guest character and yea, isn't on the show that much.

Hodges and Wendy are a bit different.
    They work I think the same shift. The Crime cadet mentioned in Field Mice how they spend a good amount of time with each other. They do work in the same place and report to the same boss.

He did though offer to have his record tarnished for stuff Wendy did. That to me says he's at least willing to give that up to be with her. I could also see him giving up the grave shift if it meant being with Wendy. I don't think Hodges would risk them having a relationship being on the same shift. Although Cath did see agreeable to it. "Let me know how it turns out" she offered.
    As for them having a good working relationship... I see lots of snarking from both of them. We learned that Wendy can give as good as she gets, and then some. If they were to pursue something I see lots of jabs at each other (like the Twilight Chat room remark) and a lot of bickering. Right now their back and forth adds some fun and lightness to the show. I'm also going with NO it won't have a negative effect either.

3. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I agree with you totally on relationships being okay in CSI as long as they are done correctly. I understand that everyone has different meanings of what is "correct" for a relationship in the CSI universe also. But, GSR was the first real relationship in CSI and I can't help but treat it as the standard for all future relationships in CSI. GSR was slow and conservative. A lot of the current ships on CSI are either happening really fast(Catherine and Lou, I'm looking at you.) or just being really open about their relationships right in the middle of the lab(Wedges). I know that GSR is it's own thing but I just think to make Catherine and Lou/Wedges legit ships would be tarnishing the way CSI does thing in the romantic department. Does that make any sense?

Seriously though, does anyone else feel like Catherine and Lou's relationship is being overly rushed?

4. electra

electra Pathologist

Hiphugger17,you have an excellent point.I admit that one of the things I liked about CSI was mainly the focus on the cases and the team chemistry.But eventually I wanted to know more about all characters and that included their love life.My problem with GSR was that Grissom was such an amazing character that IMO we lost some of his connection with the rest of the team.I am not against romance but it has to be done well.

I agree with AFIS becouse IMO Catherine and Vartan came out of the blue.But they have known each other for a long time so spark can happen anytime.

5. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

No, I don't feel it's been rushed. In "Better of Dead", the two were slightly flirtatious but in a subtle, charming way. Nothing over the top. In "The Panty Sniffer", Catherine seemed surprised by the kiss Vartann gave her. It almost seemed as though he hadn't kissed her that way before. Yes, it could have been that she was just surprised given that they were on a stakeout - but she still appeared more than a just little off guard.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I don't feel it's been rushed because I get the feeling that they are on very early stages in their relationship. The fact that Cath didn't yet know that he had a son made me think that they hadn't developed at the time a full blown romance. At the same time the way their conversation took on a more personal note lets me know that there's an interest and that they have begun to explore what they are feeling. I guess it would've felt rushed if in either episode they would've presented them as an official, committed couple. But they way it's been done I feel they are at very early stages and we are witnessing that progression to a more serious, committed relationship. But that's just my take on it :).

7. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Maybe I think Cath/Vartann are rushed because it just started happening this season. There just wasn't the gradual build-up like in GSR. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned? :)

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Well I can see that it did come out of nowhere because we haven't seen them flirt with each other before Better Off Dead. Or at least flirt 'like that' before then.

And the episodes this season that they have been together in have been few and far between.
    In The Panty Sniffer (still shudder at that title name :eek: ) we I think, were lead to believe that they have spent more time together since Better Off Dead. Especially the remark Catherine made "You never talked about your son." It assumes that they have talked but not in depth or his son never came up.
    I also agree that they are in the beginning stage or in the beginning of their relationship. It hasn't really had time to build up like Gil and Sara.
    Plus, I don't think CSI will be around, let alone the actors themselves to have an 8 year build up to a relationship. ;)

9. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Re: The Great Ship Debate -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

If that made you laugh just imagine Sara as a virgin with Grissom...another highly implausible thought.

10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I highly doubt that Grissom was a virgin:rolleyes: he told Cath about a girl he loved in college, so, and at his age late 40's when he and Sara first met in San Francisco. And she had a brief fling with Hank, so that's a given. I think after they met though they were faithful and true to one another, my thoughts~

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Hank! That was his name! I was trying to think of his name the other day cause I saw the actor on a commercial. :lol: I couldn't remember his name for the life of me. I kept thinking it started with a "B" for some oddball reason. Yet I remembered the name of his character in ONE Buffy episode. :lol: Go figure.

Anyway, also Sara once told Grissom about when she joined the mile-high club (long before meeting Grissom). :lol:

12. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Well, since we're on the topic of CSI virginity status I think it's safe to say that no characters on CSI are still virgins. I'm pretty sure all of the CSIs are quite capable of attracting the opposite sex. Besides, Henry. Henry looks like he's still a virgin and that oddly enough makes him even cuter. :)

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Hank the Skank which is what the hard-core GSR fans called him GRRRR, he was a scum-bag, he cheated on his live-in-girlfriend with Sara, in "Crash & Burn" is when they broke up, Sara was sooo classy " I didn't tell her is that's what you're thinking":bolian: Hank: "I'm sorry" Sara: Me too", and Cath was waiting for her in the car and she asked "Got any plans" Sara says "Nope", Cath goes "Wanna go for a beer" Sara says "Drive" and "Wild Horses" was playing in the backgound a tear-jerker haunting episode, and BTW Grissom named his dog HANK:scream:

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  14. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Naming your dog after the love of your life's ex doesn't exactly prove they're meant to be together. It just proves that Grissom has a strong stalker impulse.:lol:

15. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Hodges?

Lol. :lol: How do we know it's Grissom who named him?