Things that annoy you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Nick3167, Mar 10, 2010.

?

things that annoy you

1. Spiders

47.6%
  2. millipedes

28.6%
  3. snakes

9.5%
  4. rats

14.3%
  1. MelinaStellaFan

MelinaStellaFan Hit and Run

what annoys me spiders n bees

2. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Spiders don't bother me unless it's something poisonous. But I really don't like Silverfish, which I guess are a millipede.

As I said in the other thread, I'm having to move, so I've been slowly but surely moving things to a storage unit. When I moved the first batch of boxes into it, and was just kinda looking around at the floor area, I noticed a smallish package of something in the corner near the door. I bent down to see what is was, saw that it said something about "Rat Poison" on it. So I turned it over to be sure that's what it really was, and there was a big *Silverfish* attached to the other side. Ick! I didn't like the idea that there might be a problem with rats in what I thought was a nice facility, but I think the Silverfish bothered me more! Luckily, I haven't seen any more Silverfish after that. And I haven't seen any rats or mice at all.

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i don't like silver fish, there's something creepy about them!

you mean there's such a thing as cursing too much?! surely not....:eek: i swear like a sailor and a trooper combined (possibly related to my dad being a priest!). i think swear words are some of the best in the english (and most other) language! it's not a sign of limited vocab (ha, that's something that annoys me, people who assume swearing means you're thick - it's not the case), and a well placed swear can be great for emphasis or frustration. although i admit i am probably a tad gratuitous, partly because i love the sound of certain words (particularly the two generally considered the "worst"), and partly from habit. the way i see it is that if it's good enough for shakespeare, chaucer and pepys, it's sure as hell good enough for me :D

oh i don't think i'd mind mud so much, it's the raw sewage bit that bothers me!

4. hotspot

hotspot Hit and Run

Oooh, yeah silver fish are creepy.

I just don't like curses, I was always told not to say them. And now I don't like it when I hear curses, it's like kryptonite to me. Although I don't mind the two b words.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

fair enough, i guess they're something you love or hate, like marmite :)

6. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

I am a LOT on message boards and stuff like this, and one of the things that annoys me the most in this is people who spell like this:

hi im *name* n i lyk to fsh n go wach movies wat do u do 2mrw im gona go nd get 2 bed nw thx

That's just plain annoying. :shifty: I can't read what they are typing!

7. *Stardust*

*Stardust* Prime Suspect

YES, EXACTLY!!!!! I hate that!!! Another thing that drives me crazy is people using no punctuation marks whatsoever and really bad grammar. I'm not a native English speaker but it worries me when my grammar's better than theirs.

8. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Some of that is laziness and some of it is thanks to the good old education system. I can't speak for other countries but in some parts of Canada the teaching system doesn't care. It starts in elementary school and continues through University.

Now as to what annoys me......I can't stand anything buzzing around my ears particularly bees, wasp, and skeeters or mosquitoes if you prefer.

I also find people that park illegally in our parking lot annoying.

On the things in the poll...

Rats make an excellent pet and I've no problem with them
    Spiders don't bother me
    Millipedes not a problem
    Snakes as long as they keep their distance I'm fine with them

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

And some of that is also due to the wonderful :rolleyes: world of text messaging :rolleyes:

10. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I don't care for insects overall, but spiders are the worst. Maybe its 'cause I'm a pretty bad arachnophobe.

Case in point: I was at work (which consists of a large warehouse) and out of the entire building, a daddy-long-legs spider dropped down right on me. At first I thought it was a piece of fuzz or hair that was tickling my forehead. Nope. I was so freaked I actually vomited. Not one of my prouder moments...

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

it's almost entirely down to texting and net-speak. i wouldn't be at all surprised if it was considered as a whole new dialect within a pretty short space of time - there wasn't a new dialect officially classified for about 50 years, but that changed a few years ago, and the new one was very much a "youth" dialect. the speed of communication these days means dialect changes incredibly fast. the weird thing is, i don't like text speak, just because it's irritating and looks silly, but i had to do a short essay for my linguistics degree on grammar, and i defended text speak to the death! i also don't much like the new official dialect but i did 2,000 words defending that! my brain's obviously been fried by linguistics ;)

12. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

You all have been awesome in this thread posting things I never even thought of keep it up I love it and thanks for contributing.

O.K. I found a new annoyance besides bugs and creepy crawlies

PEOPLE who think it is ok to shout into there phones at a table in a restaurant and when asked by the server to take it outside or at least to the front of the restaurant the tell the server to "f!@#off"

I personally ( if my sister and fiancee weren't with me) would have clocked her

Also, when people think it is ok to cross the street when they do not have the right of way and walk in front of my car

13. gregfan3

gregfan3 Police Officer

I am with you about the overall insect thing...what would Grissom think of us?!?:lol: I just don't want them on me or in my apartment, thank you very much! I am sorry that happened to you at your workplace, that must have been awful:(!

What annoys me?
    -When people are rude and obnoxious/inconsiderate/think the world revolves solely around them/drive like there is nobody else on the road, and always assume the right of way/prejudice/judgemental/intolerant...
    -The lack of screen time our Greg has been getting recently...it both annoys me and makes me sad...I need more Greg, please! :)

Rant over, I feel better, thank you!
    :lol:

14. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Heh, I remember when you could only put that 160 characters to text and prices were higher so you had to be creative... and believe me it's so much harder in Finnish.

I've given up, now you can text and it just counts those as 2nd or 3rd message or so. I still get shortwords from my English friend.

I hate (mostly teens or complete nerds) who use English word in Finnish form. Not all, I know complete nerds and they can type normally and actually in our IRCchannel no one uses netspeak :p

Anyways, on of those words is (I learnt it from my friend's little sister) is "neveri" which comes from word never (ei koskaan) - erm why oh why?

And GOD I hate people who actually say LOL or OMG (as abbervation) - especially when speaking in Finnish.

But sometimes I wonder how it's any different from academic world? I hate some academic texts that have been tried to make 'more sophisticated' by using forms twisted from original (usually English) word instead of using Finnish word.

I had once hard time to understand term 'eksplokoi" and after 10mins of wtf-ing I realised it means "explain" - and why the teacher couldn't use Finnish term 'selitä' ? (I've never seen anywhere else it to be used)

To original question I answered spiders. Even rats are not fun. I accidentally saw one last summer, I lifted hayseedsack and there it was!

I am truly annoyed people not answering important emails.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

it isn't really, it's all about tailoring your language to the context. the sad thing is when people (and i suspect this is true of some modern teenagers) only know one variation of their language - it's fair enough if teens want to use text speak on the net or amongst themselves, that's fine, but they need to know how to write formal english too for exams, jobs, that kind of thing. there have been cases of schools here banning text speak because so many people were using it in essays etc.

although in some ways textspeak makes a lot of sense - if the point of language is to get an idea across in as efficient and concise a way as possible, then l8r is probably more efficient than later, at least in terms of effort expended on writing it!

i don't like textspeak much (although i use it sometimes!) but as an evolution of language it's quite fascinating.