"Unshockable" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Maybe he need Horatio to show how to put on and take of his glasses. :p

Well, first things first. As for Nick's comment that just because he's from Texas doesn't mean he likes Country music - could be he's way of saying don't use stereotypes. Now just because Nick was singing a country song in Grave Danger does not mean he is a fan of country music. I'm not a fan of country music, but there are some country songs I like very much.

Nick could simply like all types of music.

Was loving Catherine in this episode. The scene with the RF guy in the hospital :guffaw: and the CIA guy when she was on the phone with him, I was thinking 'you go girl!'. :lol:

I liked the episode, even if the CIA story didn't make sense to me, at times.

Ray being the boss again when he told Sara that Catherine wanted COD. Sounded like he was reprimanding her or something. Ok, I'm not a Sara fan (going to have to defend her though), but even I know she knows what she's doing, so lay off Ray.

More about Ray's father. :shifty:

Doc Robbins not letting Nick cut into the guitar. :guffaw: I love Robbins.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, though the Rascal Flatts story more because of all the :guffaw: moments.

2. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I honestly didn't care for this episode. I could blame it on the hype not living up to the reality, but since I went in with low expectations and still came out disappointed...

My thoughts echo many of the ones already expressed by some previous folks here. I found the CIA case more interesting, but not by much. I did love the scene of Nick and Greg at the psycho-fangirl's place. The way they talked to her, so patronizing, I loved it! :guffaw:
    You stole what I was going to say, Speedy! :lol: On the flip-side, he doesn't come out and say he dislikes country music directly either. I think it could be taken that he isn't as much of a fan as someone from Texas is assumed to be. Like Speedy, he may only like a few songs or bands. Probably likes "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk". He did claim to be an ass man once. :lol:

And somehow, after Nick said it, I knew it would be a hot topic here.

Barely any Brass and no Wendy or SuperDave. :(

Overall, this episode felt... off. The whole CIA, German Consulate case felt convoluted. It seemed to be a story that I'd find on Miami or possibly New York, not so much Vegas.

And yeah, I really appreciate Taylor Swift more now (although to be fair, I thought she did a great job to begin with). Maybe if RF were not playing themselves. Whenever people play themselves, it seems like a vanity project. Almost as though that is how they see themselves. Feels phony. Does that make sense?

I'll give the episode a C-. Would have gotten a lower grade, but Greg and Doc Robbins saved it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

watched the first few minutes and decided i'm not a masochist, so i turned it off. lol

4. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

unshockible i give it an 8.3 out of 10

i got bored with jay getting shocked, i mean i had already figured it out, they needed more suspects b/c you know gary and joe don didn't do it so...

all 3 of rascal flatts were fairly good actors

i wish they had shown what the doctors or whoever do to get jay's momory back, that i was interested in seeing not really who did it since i already knew

the cia storyline was pretty interesting :thumbsup: , at first i wasn't even sure if they were real cia agents and fakes just covering it up, i am curious to know what else the cia guy knows about the team, even ray a little bit

more on ray's dad (i don't really care much) although the conversation in the locker room with sara was interesting and now i'll probbly call henry H from now on :lol:

sara mentioning grissom :) and their honeymoon, how romantic :lol:

greg and nick going to see the nutsy fan girl :lol: she needs therapy help

no wendy or super dave :( and good grief brass needs more screentime or something, maybe a storyline where ellie could return or something, or even his ex wife

i wonder what sort of personal files hodges has on his computer though:lol:

its good seeing catherine being the boss unlike some episodes like last season when we weren't sure who was in charge

good seeing doc out of the morgue sometimes and not a scene with ray finally :thumbsup:

at the end my mom was saying "they're going to kill him" :lol: when jay was rapping at the end

not a lot a greg:(:( so hopefully next week (which does looks good and interesting :thumbsup:) makes up for that

5. byline

byline CSI Level One

This was one of the few "CSI" episodes where neither my husband nor I cared what happened to the victims (though I remember feeling that way about several episodes from Season 5). It had potential, but in the end it just wasn't a very engaging story. PC expressed many of my thoughts exactly. It felt like a "CSI: Miami" plot, and also the band playing themselves felt hokey and not at all convincing. That was a lesson "Miami Vice" learned the hard way: If you're gonna hire musicians to act, make sure they can actually act!

6. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

is it just me or did the show become so schematic that every episode sounds and looks the same and there is nothing fresh to engage the audience anymore? i mean, when i watch it, all i can think is 'gosh i heard them say the same things like 500 times before'. it got so boring. CSI was really cool for about 8 or 9 years but TPTB are murdering the show itself when they hire terrible actors just b/c they are famous for something else, and when they make the same episodes over and over and only change a few variables.

the formula for CSI had run its course, at least to me. the only scenes i can still watch are with Jorja but if i have to go through the whole episode to see them, i'd rather youtube them. saves me plenty of my life.

7. PraetorCorvinus

I'm interested to know which aspects you find schematic. I'll probably agree with you on several, though I'd still like to hear which ones you specifically are referring to.

8. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

almost every case looks like this:
    - there is a murder somewhere
    - CSIs arrive and collect evidence, Brass/Vartann/whoever talks to witnesses/potential suspects
    - Doc Robbins does an autopsy and shares his info
    - first theories that turn out to be wrong
    - twist

and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with a scheme like this, CSI almost always followed it, but in the beginning it wasn't that obvious b/c the show was newer. and there was just *something* there that made you want to watch it. now, it seems so automatic: murder. evidence collection. autopsy. twist. executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer. stay tuned for scenes from our next episode.

the soul of the show is gone. what we are getting is mindless entertainment b/c it doesn't teach us anything anymore. all there was to teach laymen about forensics that was televisable was already shown. it's almost like CSI is a Pamela Adler (victim from Too Tough To Die) who was kept alive in a vegetative state for years b/c there was still this one person who took care of her, even though there was no hope for her revival. maybe i took it to an extreme but this is the closest to what it looks like to me, that i can come up.

9. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Adzix, I'm agreeing with you. CSI has run it's course so to speak.

I mean when they keep on having 'special guest stars' week after week, well it's time to hang it up...
    I think what is keeping me watching is Marg and the potential Catherine/Tony romance. If/when they go a head with that, then I'll be satisfied.
    Other than that, the show has become something that I'll watch... if it interests me other than "I HAVE TO WATCH CSI".

Okay, enough about why I watch, here's what I thought..

It was boring. Boring, boring boring. The only thing that was interesting was yeah, the Sara, Ray, CIA case. And even that was too predictable. I called it was the son the moment I saw him.
    What threw me was the loop in what the CIA agent said about Ray's father.
    Twice Ray has mentioned that his father served in KOREA not Vietnam. He even said it to Mac during the cross-over episode. :confused: Why would the CIA agent say that Ray's father was in Vietnam? Unless it's a plot twist about Ray and his father. Perhaps he's been lying to everyone around him, not wanting his DNA processed because he knows something he shouldn't??
    That to me was the only interesting storyline in the whole episode.

The Rascall Flatts storyline was ..okay. Boring but okay. I also saw the ending, of course someone in the band is going to sabatouge a star, of course. That's the price you pay for being a ..Star. ;)
    And yea, I'm not a huge Nick fan, I'm a sucker for his more sensitive side, but he does like Country music. Another loop hole the writers seemed to have overlooked. :eek:

Well next week looks better. I'm interested in seeing Nathan Kress from iCarly on CSI. My girls will freak because they love iCarly (and it's set in Seattlel)

Overall this episode was boring... *yawn*

10. PraetorCorvinus

Adzix, I'm not going to say the show has grown stale (yet) but I do agree that it has lost a little something.

Looking at your rundown, I'd say the part that is really missing is the 'lesson-learned'. Perhaps it came with the loss of Grissom, but there was a sense that we learned something about humanity and its nature that came through his musings. I agree that, for the most part, the show has taken on a more formulaic mode of entertainment.

And the inclusion of big name guest stars just for the hell of it is usually the sign of a decline. Although, I still feel that the show isn't on it's last legs. There's still potential.

11. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

I never thought Nick liked country music. If he actually did, the whole thing with the guitar would've been a bigger deal to him, like it was for Doc. Nick always seemed like an all over type of guy -- maybe he knew a couple country songs, but definitely not like some people (cough, fanfiction writers) make him out to be.

The only way the show still has potential is in the maiming of hot ORIGINAL characters. AKA Greg.

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

There's a big difference between someone liking music and someone being a musician. I'm sure Nick likes a variety of music, but he doesn't seem to know anything about making music. As we saw in a previous episode, Doc Robbins (and RDH, for that matter) is a musician. He plays in a band, therefore he knows his musical instruments very well.

As for the episode:
    * I swear that was the longest and most boring intro to a CSI episode in the 9+ seasons. If it weren't for the little Cath & Greg moments at the hospital, I would have called that whole intro "crap". Even the "rowdy" audience seemed pathetic. I hope the RF guys don't give up their 'night jobs', because they've proven they can't act. At least not yet.
    * The Sara/Ray case was much more interesting.
    * The CIA guy still had me wondering all the way through if he really was CIA or if he was just doing a real good bluff.
    * I felt the whole arc of the German consulate guys was way too hokey.
    * This episode actually had nice "Supervisor Catherine" moments - especially with the call from the CIA guy. However, I was expecting a Conrad Ecklie appearance/showdown when we got to that point. Where has he been anyway? I miss him. Yes. I'll say it again: I miss Conrad Ecklie. So there!
    * Ray's father/backstory -- I fast-forwarded through that part, so have no clue (and don't care to know). Enough already. That's become just as drawn out as the Dr Jekyll story will be.

13. PraetorCorvinus

You want Greg maimed? :wtf: Why?! I'm going to assume its for the purpose of an angsty-character-driven episode and/or story arc similar to "Fannysmackin'"? Meh.

I'd prefer something like what House has done this season: an episode centered around one character. A day in the life sort of thing. An ep following Greg or Wendy around would be awesome!

Back to the episode, the CIA guy reminded me of Horatio. He had the stance. And sunglasses. :lol:

Kaylyne, that was indeed a long opening for CSI. Except for Greg of course.

14. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

I would go for something with Greg being taken hostage with a bunch of other people (bank? been done but whatever). Then Greg could show that he's grown as an investigator and a person -- he'd take the lead and try to save everyone else, thus finally proving he's not a labrat anymore.

15. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

and did anyone remember that the guy who played Travis was also in Down the Drain back in season 5 as the belligerent father who owned the house & garage with all the explosives?