Episode 8x14 - "In the Wind" - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

*GROAN* Oh God, just when I thought we wouldn't have to put up with the on-again, off-again E/C soap opera! :scream:

I agree about Eric and Jesse. After all, what do you say about someone who "replaced" you, especially after you had your second gunshot wound to the head? I think on a deeper level though, Eric understood, having been through his fair share of things.

Nice to see more of Frank and Natalia.

Loved watching H chat with Kyle. CBS just won points with me as a veteran. :adore:

2. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

This was a good episode. I thought it was interesting having Delko work with the guy who replaced him and the handshake was a good sight to see. Old
    Man Horatio would have been most happy to see that....

I enjoyed Eric in this episode. I tuned out with his character because he came off a little hardbutted but this season we saw a little more of Happy Eric which I liked.

I liked the old lady and was seriously bummed when she got killed....

In regards to the bit in Eric's bedroom in the beginning. To do my best Moe impression "WHAAAAAAA?????":eek:

So far this is turning out to be a great season..

3. CSI_Natalia

CSI_Natalia Prime Suspect

I like Calleigh and Delko more for the fact that it lets us see into the CSI's live's than for the fact that it's C&D....

The more I think about it..the more I realize that I really loved this episode but also the more upset I get at tptb for not utilizing Natalia more...

I give it an A , would've been A+ if Natalia was considered as imp. as Calleigh, Jesse, Delko...etc..

also the more I watch the more I love Ryan and his comic relief (I just watched the 2nd half of season 7 for the first time, the past few days (new to the show but almost all caught up already), and I really love his character!

4. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I don't see how they are using too much Jesse as some on here have said. I mean, people complain that he's too boring and one dimensional, yet gets all jumped up when they actually put in some background story on the new guy. What is wrong with actually learning something about a new character? I mean, isn't that what a show should do? We actually learn something about a character instead of having them being cardboard cutouts? Besides, Jesse was around when the case happened, so why not add a bit more to the character, show that he's not Mr. Perfect, but just like anyone else who was young and inexperienced. It gives more to his character, make him more human and three dimensional.

Anyways, I love this episode, LOVE the weather technique! That was COOL!

And can I just say how BRILLIANT is Anthony Michael Hall! I simply adore the man! He made a seemingly boring villain into someone who I actually felt for. In the last scene with the son and you see his eyes start to tear up, I actually felt sorry for the guy! Oh and btw, the kid who played the son was pretty awesome too!

Nice to see Eric back! Could do less with the steamy romance, but then again, I was never one for the whole romance stuff on my crime dramas...it gets kinda weird...but anyways, good to see Eric around, and it was kinda sweet to see Eric and Jesse finally working hand in hand on screen! Love the handshake! Nice to see those two acting like actual adults than being snippy and mad at each other! Speed must be happy to see his two friends being friends now as well!:)

I still find Walter funny! And Ryan was simply adorable, I wanna hug him! Natty was being cute with the whole hearing aid thing, good for her!

And damn! Kyle is so grown up! I can't even believe that the kid is 18! He's got such a baby face! Evan did wonders with that scene! And David Caruso is always at his best when it comes to kids!

Overall, this was a brilliant episode for me! Love it!

5. slower

slower Lab Technician

You asked "What is wrong about with learning about a new person". Nothing!!! The problem I have is we don't know that much about Ryan. All we know is he has a safe cracking uncle and a neice.Yes is was looking good last night, but he had three scenes (and two hey Ryans from Calleigh on the phone). When is it going to end, and tptb strikes a good balance between cast members. We cannot forget that Jon, Eva, and Rex have been with the show longer than Eddie and Omar and deserve to have that screentime that Eddie takes up.

When I say Jesse is boring; I mean Eddie. He is a poor actor. I know he has been around the business for awhile and some like him and that's OK, I have never been a fan. He only rubs me the wrong way, due to the amount of time they are wasting on just him, with Ryan, Nat, and Frank on the backburner.

6. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Yes, the part where they did the test with the wind machines was one of my favorite parts, too! The whole way they figured out what it could have been that the guy heard when he was a kid--the train noise--is the kind of thing that should be happening in this show. It was really fascinating. It was what a CSI show should be about.

And I also was glad that Eric and Jesse shook hands at the end of the ep, too. I want them to get along so they can work well together in future episodes! :)

Haha, when I first tried to post this (and failed) I thought I was on the last page, but I was only on the second page of the thread, so I'll add after reading your comments, slower, that I don't think any show, can have the perfect balance of screentime for everybody on every episode. If Ryan and Natalia and Frank had been in it more this last time, we wouldn't have gotten to see some of the good things that we did see in the ep because they would've run out of time. But I know what you're thinking...

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree that it's difficult to balance screentime when you have so many in the cast, but NCIS and Criminal Minds are two off the top of my head who manage to do it very, very well. All it takes is an effort.

That said, CSI Miami has improved tremendously this season in giving me a feeling that we are watching a "TEAM." I'm hoping that they continue in that manner.

I finally watched "In the Wind" last night. With the exception of the E/C "moments", which always leave me wanting to hurl (the fast forward button was my best friend last night), I loved it!

Anthony Michael Hall is simply amazing. I knew he would be. I've been a fan of his for a long time now. I was looking forward to seeing Hall and Caruso interact and I wasn't disappointed. They were both wonderful. So was the young man who played the son. Very nice job.

Is it me or does CSI Miami seem to be finding a better caliber of guest actors lately?

Ryan, Walter and Natalia are wonderful together. They act like her worried big brothers and I really like that. It's nice to see most of the team caring about each other rather than self-involved to the exclusion of everyone else. We even got a little Frank! Always a good thing but we can always use more! :thumbsup:

I really, really hope that Natalia's story doesn't end with an easy out of just throwing a hearing aid at her and clearing her for return to work. We still don't know HOW the injury happened. Why bring it up if you're not going to follow through.

A running theme with this show is introducing interesting storylines and then dropping them without notice. (Nothing like insulting the intelligence of your audience!) And yet we've been assaulted with a storyline that is completely flat and boring to A LOT of the audience for over 3 seasons. Way to keep your finger on the pulse of the audience, PTB! :rolleyes:

I found it interesting that the ratings surge that I keep hearing will happen with E/C episodes was non-existent with the return of Eric and the clips of E/C in bed being used for PR.

Eric and Jesse's interaction reminded me of Eric and Ryan. Eric was his usual judgmental, holier than thou, self. Eric needs to be reminded regularly that he's made more than his share of mistakes through the years. It was nice to see them shake hands, but I doubt that the hand shake will define whatever relationship Eric and Jesse have in the end. The few moments that Eric and Ryan got along never lasted.

I didn't feel that Jesse was overused at all in this episode. I'll admit that while I really like Jesse, I was becoming concerned for a while. It seems to me they have pulled back a little with Jesse and he is settling into the team now.

I enjoyed Horatio in this episode. I've enjoyed watching him a great deal in season 8. He continues to return to his core values and it's great to see. He interacts and is fully engaged with his team now. And it was heartbreaking to see him talking to Kyle. Excellent job by both David and Evan! I do hope there are plans to continue that relationship.

8. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Thought this was a pretty good episode but brought up old frustrations.

The good:

Loved Anthony Michael Hall! I have been enjoying his acting lately and he didn't disappoint. He was creepy but but for awhile one wondered if he was actually innocent.

Seeing Natalia, Ryan and Walter together made me smile. They were pretty funny together and worked well together.

KYLE!! It was good to see him. He really brings out the humanity in Horatio and you can tell he is proud of him.

Now the bad:

Saw H, Jesse, Cal and Eric before work but no Ryan, and Nat. Guess they don't count.

The writer sure wrote this eppie to get Jesse into as many scenes as possible. Jesse also seemingly doesn't have many flaws. All Jesse all the time. It is so frustrating when your favorite has been on the show longer, we know very little about him and he is barely in the show....

Enjoyed Ryan's brief cameo appearance on the show. I have all but resigned myself to the fact that there will probably be no story lines for Ryan good or bad this season. What with the writers producing scripts to bring Jesse front and center and Adam's remaining episode commitments (heck, maybe Jon Togo's legal woes have given the writers the excuse they were looking for to overlook Ryan when producing their scripts), Ryan will probably remain a secondary background character with few scenes no storylines or character development. TPTB seemingly don't treat the long term actors on this show very well (look what they did to Adam). I hope this isn't true, but it isn't looking good.

Also enjoyed Natalia brief cameo as well. I was glad to see her hearing aid. Guess this brings her season 8 story line to an end.

Eric and Calleigh:rolleyes:. No comment.

I hope this isn't a trend shoving certain characters into the background for a chose few; I hope they go back to the shared screen time, and the team concept they were becoming successful with.

9. slower

slower Lab Technician

FLAT out don't agree, with what you said about the balance. It is bunk. LESS EDDIE!!!!! Would have helped.

10. CSI_Natalia

CSI_Natalia Prime Suspect

I'm getting tired of Natalia not being shown as a regular (i.e. whenever they show before or after work clips natalia is NEVER included).

-- IMO people don't like Jesse because they feel like he replaced Delko. I think it's more of an emotional reaction...similar to Delko's own feelings toward Jesse.

11. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I don't agree with this either. It is the sum total of the entire season, not just this episode. There a couple of characters getting, at times, the majority of the screen time while others (mainly Ryan, Natalia and Frank) regulated to the background with token screen time. It was pointed out other shows (NCIS being one) has quite a cast and manages to balance out the screentime. It does take effort, and IMHO the CSI:Miami writers aren't making the effort.

I agree. They also don't show Ryan off the clock either.

I don't dislike Jesse. I just wish they would soft pedal it with him. I want to like a character, not forced to like him.

12. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

:eek: WHOA NELLIE!! :eek: That was "The Geek"? (Sixteen Candles) Wow! Anthony Michael Hall is fantastic in everything he does! I didn't even recognize him! I knew he was coming up in an epi, but I guess I missed that. Gotta go back and watch him again!

13. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

Anthony Michael Hall has come a long way since "Farmer Ted" aka The Geek! He was amazing, in a creepy sort of way! Does anyone remember AMH when he was in Edward Scissorhands? That was the first time I saw him grownup.

14. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I absolutely hated his character in Edward Scissorhands. I thought he was at his best in Weird Science and Into the Sun.

Usually actors who play slimeballs are the most talented, I always say.

15. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I loved Anthony Michael Hall when he was the lead on the Dead Zone! He was brilliant and completely leading man quality!!!

As for the whole Jesse screentime thing, I'm not even gonna bother with it anymore, I'm tired of having to argue and defend my position, clearly different people have different feelings about it and this is a free country so we're allowed. It's no use arguing it back and forth when it's only gonna end up getting someone offended. So whatever. I've made my statement, everyone knows I like Jesse, he's the reason I came back to watching Miami again after a 5 year hiatus, and I liked that they are giving him background to show that he is a flawed person, and besides, I enjoy Eddie Cibrian. So there, that's my opinion and it's not gonna change.

I'm hoping to see Kyle back again, I love the Horatio/Kyle scenes! Evan and David are brilliant!:cool: