Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Alright until a name is officially announced for this show that is the name this thread will be called by to discuss the spin-off from CM.

I know we don't know much about it but I am sure that more will come out as soon as they figure out where their going with it, and also if they have that knowledge they get all their stuff in a row and make the announcements officially.

Cast:
    Sam Cooper - Forest Whitaker
    Mick Rawson - Matt Ryan
    Prophet - Michael Kelly
    Gina LaSalle - Beau Garrett
    Director Beth Griffith -?

Director: Richard Shepard

More to come stay tuned!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. Destiny

Re: Criminal Minds "The Spin-off"

I posted this on the regular CM thread, but that was before this one was created.

Source: EW

Scoop: Forest Whitaker to headline 'Criminal Minds' spin-off!

Oscar winner Forest Whitaker is nearing a deal to headline CBS’ in-the-works spin-off of Criminal Minds, sources confirm to me semi-exclusively.

Whitaker would play Cooper, the new team’s fiercely loyal and intensely private leader. A former star profiler in the BAU, Coop’s been off the grid for the last eight years — leaving only a trail of rumors in his wake.

Minds 2.0 will follow the NCIS/NCIS: LA model in that the new team will be introduced in an episode of Minds this spring before being launched into their own show next fall. Seasoned industry professionals like myself refer to it as a “planted” spin-off.

This is Whitaker’s first regular TV gig since his mesmerizing turn as Michael Chiklis’ arch-nemesis, Jon Kavanaugh, on The Shield.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

He was the host on the new Twilight Zone series too, but I'm not sure if that was before or after "The Shield". Though TZ didn't last too long.

4. Destiny

TZ 44 episodes, 2002-2003
    Shield 13 episodes, 2006-2007
    Inbetween that he was in 6 episodes, 2006-2007 of ER as Curtis Ames.

Other knowns:

Birth Name: Forest Steven Whitaker
    D.O.B: July 15, 1961
    Born In: Longview, Texas
    Height: 6'2

Spouse: Keisha Whitaker (4 May 1996 - present) They met on the set of "Blown Away (1994)"

Children: 4 -
    (Son) Ocean Whitaker (b. 1990 from previous relationship),
    Keisha's daughter Autumn (b. 1991),
    (Daughter) Sonnet Noel Whitaker (b. 1996)
    (Daughter) True Whitaker (b. 1998),

On his children's names - I want those names to be their destiny, for my daughters to be honest and my son to be expansive.

Parents: Forest Whitaker Jr. & Laura Francis (smith) Whitaker
    Grandfather: Novelist Forest Whitaker, Sr
    Siblings: Brother of actors Kenn Whitaker and Damon Whitaker, and sister Deborah.
    Brother-in-law: to Jeffrey Nash and Kidada Jones.
    Other Stuff: Holds a Black belt in Karate, & Is a vegetarian, Practices Yoga

Has no official website.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  5. Bryn Elizabeth

Bryn Elizabeth Rookie

Ahhh, Destiny. You and your actor trivia.

I still think I would rather have had a woman in charge, like we originally thought. *references Hetty from NCIS:LA* Why? Because women with guns kick ass. Case made.

We better have enjoyable eyecandy and possibly an OTP. Because, occasionally, the lack of shipping in regular CM upsets the normal balance of my life.

6. Destiny

Source: TV Guide Online

Beau Garrett Cast in Criminal Minds Spin-Off

Beau Garrett has been cast as the female lead in CBS' new Criminal Minds spin-off, TVGuide.com has confirmed.

Forest Whitaker to star in Criminal Minds spin-off.

Garrett, 27, will play Gina, a tough new FBI recruit, opposite Oscar winner Forest Whitaker on the series, which is set to launch during a spring episode of Criminal Minds. The unnamed spin-off will follow a new group of profilers working outside the FBI.

Garrett most recently guest-starred on House and appeared in 2007's Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer. She will also be seen in the upcoming Tron Legacy.

7. GregNickRyanFan

I saw Silver Surfer, but I do not know this actress (but then I don't remember a lot about that movie anyway lol). I'm surprised they've casted someone who's not super well known for the female lead.

8. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Yeah, and if they're going to do this, then they should cast David Lee Smith in the show. Hmmmph. He'd be more well-known than she is. But instead, I heard they were thinking of casting a "He who shall not be named" type. Urgh. I'm not even going to say who, because I'm hoping it will.not.happen.

9. GregNickRyanFan

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but now I'm a little worried. :lol: Please tell me its not some reality star who can't act. :lol:

10. Destiny

Beau Garrett: (Pics included)
    She was first hired by GUESS in the late 1990s. She is currently a spokesmodel for Revlon cosmetics, along with Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Connelly and Jessica Alba, and has also modeled for Double D Ranch and CosmoGirl. She is signed to Vision Model Management L.A.
    and is the cousin of actor Kyle Chandler.

Okay now this is speculation so take it as that, because nothing is set in stone.. there is a rumor that Rob Lowe could play Whitakers second in command, the problem is that CBS denies it, and ABC knows nothing of it, and Lowes camp is hinting at it. True or False, we will have to wait for the next announcement.

Also speculation: while British actor Matt Ryan is close to landing a lead role on CBS' "Criminal Minds" spinoff.

As to the no names, alot of actors are no names at some point, until they find that right show/movie that brings them out into the light. Until then every actor/actress (even on the orginial) would be an unknown. But then you find some who have been fans of that person, and others going this person new? I was that way I didn't know who MGG was, actually any of them until the orginial came one, I knew of Mandy, Thomas, and Joe, not the rest of them.

As to what they are looking for and again subject to change..
    [COOPER] 45-50.. all ethnicities. The team leader, he's fierce in his loyalty and mysterious in his daily life. A former star profiler in the BAU, he's been off the radar for the last eight years - leaving only a trail of rumors and legend in his wake. He runs a team that exists outside of FBI bureaucracy and is intensely loyal to him.

[GINA] 28-32, all ethnicities. She's strong, intelligent. Raised in a tough neighborhood in Baltimore, she managed to avoid the streets. Got straight-A's. Was the first person in her family to ever go to college. Recruited from school to the FBI, she finished at the top of her class at Quantico but was destined to work deep cover in the same streets she'd managed to escape. Her father died before he could learn that she hadn't wasted her life. After she quit the FBI, Cooper talked her back by inviting her onto his team.

[MICK] 30, all ethnicities. Formerly of the British Special Forces, though he was discharged for reasons that remain classified. Expert sniper. Survivalist. He was educated at Cambridge but his demeanor is more charmingly rakish than posh. He's as adept verbally as he is physically and he knows it sptv050769. Part puppy, part guard dog.

[PROPHET] 30s, African American. A former gang-banger from L.A. He did seven years in prison for drug trafficking but found Jesus in jail. He's street-smart, connected but also incredibly dexterous at quoting scripture. He feels this unit is his chance at redemption - a way to direct his street skills toward a noble end.

11. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Destiny, I'm wondering if you maybe misunderstood me when I posted "He who shall Not Be Named". I didn't mean that it was an unknown person, like MGG was before he was cast as Reid. In the CSI:Miami section fans have called characters and actors they don't like, "He/She who will not be named". So basically I'm just saying that I don't like Rob Lowe at all. I don't want to say any more than that or I will say mean things.

12. GregNickRyanFan

So there's only gonna be one main female character on this show? Bummer. CM has three. Why is the spinoff only gonna have one?

It matters not if the more minor roles are played by virtual unknowns, but in my mind the male and female lead characters (especially in a spin-off) should be fairly well known. Like Thomas, Mandy, Joe and Paget... I think maybe this is why very few fans are that upset over Elle leaving... because the actress wasn't that well known... where as people had probably heard of Paget before. I'm not saying they all have to be household names, but still... I mean look at the pattern of other spin-off shows: CSI Miami- first the leads were David Caruso and Kim Delaney, both very well known. Emily (who was not that well known before Miami) only moved to lead female when Kim left and they decided not to cast anyone else. CSI NY: Gary Sinise and Melina K (I'm not even gonna try to spell her last name lol), who are very well known. the NCIS spinoff- okay here the two leads are both male, but LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell are fairly big names.

As for the CM spin-off, if she was the secondary or third female cast member (like Garcia) that would be one thing, but for the female lead... I'd much rather see someone I've actually heard of in the role. Plus I don't really think that girl looks the part. And especially if they're only gonna have one main female, it should definitely be someone well known.

I looked up Matt Ryan, but there are like twenty different ones and I have no idea which one it is that's being considered for CM. :lol: But the character of Mick sounds a lot like Agent Booth on Bones. :lol: Minus the British part. :lol:

Wait, I'm confused. Are there more characters than is listed on that character list? Cause if Rob Lowe was the second in command, then that character isn't listed cause the other guys besides Cooper are 30 years old and Lowe is probably at least 40. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  13. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Yeah, the whole thing is starting to confuse me, too. And if they're just going to do a lot of wrong casting, I wish they'd just get it over with, and start concentrating on the original show again. The previous episodes have been below par IMO. They just did one that focused a lot on Rossi, and the ep should've rocked, but it didn't, and I think it's because the TPTB are spending too much time making sure to get the casting of the spinoff *wrong* *Rrrrr* I'm in kind of a bad mood today, I'll admit it. I think I"ll do one of these=:angryrazz:

14. Destiny

HnStetlerfan, No, I didn't misunderstand I was referencing those who were speculated to be aiming for the role, I don't care for Rob Lowe and it could be he hinted just for the fact that he isn't going to be on the other show B&S.
    I doubt he is really in it, CBS is saying no he isn't, ABC isn't sure what that rumor is all about, and its someone in Lowes camp that hinted at it. So unless he became and African American, or British I doubt he will be apart of it.

GNRF, before CM (orginial) I couldn't have told you who AJ, Paget, MGG, or Kirsten Vangness were lol. I knew OF Shemar from his days on Y&R soap, but I only seen that when I was sick or had nothing better to do lol. So what I am saying is that who is unknown to us, maybe well known to others.
    I actually like seeing an actor/actress who doesn't have alot of star power put into a lead type role, you either make it or your chops are cooked. :lol:

Another thing to consider, to the 3 females, 4 males on the orginial vs the three males vs one female, they could add to it after the pilot is done.
    Look at NCIS LA Louise Lombard was in charge in the pilot but when it premiered in the network lineup she was gone and CO's (Callen) was suddenly in charge, (okay Hetty is unofficially lol). ;)

Just for the record until I saw him I didn't really know who LL or Chris were either lol (Again knew about them, heard of them, but meh), nor anyone but Mark Harmon of NCIS.

I think they give the pilot idea, let it fly and then when done they turn around and fix it. Maybe Beau Garrett will work, maybe Forrest won't or vice versa, or they all could suck royally, and a whole new cast brought in, I think this is just another reason shows like to take spin-offs and cross them over to start, get a feel for the characters before seeing them out on their own. But again that also isn't fair to the spin-off, while it works in some instances, the orginials had to start out on their own.

Can't really use NCIS LA as an example, they are a spin off of NCIS, but NCIS is a spin-off of JAG, When Jag was nearing its end Mark Harmon came in, and NCIS was created next during Jags run. Now I am not saying that NCIS is over or near it but it is at season 7 and (I personally) don't know where the stars are on their contracts. They may have figured NCIS LA could go until season 3 (putting NCIS at 10 seasons) to take over the frachise.

I don't use CSI's as an example only because they released them to the point of sort of overshadowing each other, and while one brings in the audience from another, the shows got off on a bad footing by arguing too much about it. I didn't hear about the NCIS camp complaining about LA, only a couple made a mention from Criminal minds. Go one step further, L&O the orginial, spun off SVU, CI, TBJ, etc etc etc only the first three survived the rest didn't survive, past season two, and CI is holding by a thread because NBC messed with them and the cast kept switching. But another case of no one complaining about it. CSI might have had a right but at one point it did get out of hand (almost like a war) and this is why I don't like using them as an example of spin-off's unless I have to.

Which is why with Criminal minds (going back on topic sorta) in season five I can understand the wonder they are good in their ratings, and all that, but again where are the actors in their contracts as well. But apparently the powers that be want to establish something, not so much about ratings or contract but a safety net, thing about it, if the orginial did go they can cross the orginial actors over, or guest appearances.

As to Spin-off's in general I have to agree to something Chris O, and LL said during an interview (which I can find if you all want to see that but I will post it in the proper thread) and that is the hope that viewers of the orginial would like their show, and if they happen to bring in viewers who might not before (and didn't bother with later) seen the orginial then all is good. That btw wasn't a direct quote lol.

So while I was directing it at both of you I was also just reporting what was being said, I don't like too much bad rumors, but I figured that was who you were referring to [Lowe] where as others might be :wtf: huh. :D
    But also speaking in general as well. Hopefully this clears up any confusion I might have made. :p

15. GregNickRyanFan

As far as Lowes go, I prefer Chad over Rob. :lol:

I forgot about NCIS being a Jag spin-off cause I never watched Jag. :lol:

I kind of forgot that whole original pilot ep might be different than what airs deal too. Its possible that they will have Beau in the original pilot and that test audiences may not take to her and that they might recast before the final pilot episode. They did that with the original Willow on BTVS and also with the original Phoebe on Charmed.

Louise Lombard, now there is someone I wouldn't mind seeing in the lead role. :) The Gina character could be the secondary female.

As for the actors on the original, the only ones I didn't know were Kristen and MGG. I knew AJ from Final Destination 2 and Higher Ground. Although when CM first came on, it took me a while to figure out where I'd seen AJ before because Higher Ground was too long ago and on FD2 she had a different hair color. :lol: