Episode 8x13 - 'Die By The Sword' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Jan 16, 2010.

1. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

I doubt Nat's injury has anything to do with a new man in her life. She seems determined to avoid the subject at all costs. I don't blame her; it's not like battered women go around telling everyone that they were abused. Her remark about "damaged goods" is a pretty good description. She doesn't want to dredge that up again.

I thought it was a good touch to ahve it be an injury as opposed to a condition like Grissom's, and as far as TPTB keeping it a "secret", they've been notorious for winding up hype for the show with false leads and over the top proclamations. We can't help that we seem to be smarter than their marketing team, now can we? ;)

And o.m.g! H was wearing PURPLE?? That's a first for me. Looked good on him. :drool:
    (How long do you think H has been practicing that maneuver with the Hummer?)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I wonder how Nat got this injury? From Nick? Or maybe from a suspect? It's great how the finally have a story about Nat.

3. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

A pretty decent episode that was pretty gross at times.

Random thoughts:

--Can anyone explain to me why when someone is escaping from someone who is trying to kill them, instead of running into the open where others could be around they run to a place with no escape?!

--The man cut in two--yuck.

--Ahh Mr. Wolfe, I enjoyed every scene you were in. You looked good (except for that damned hair) and came off very professional. I enjoyed the touch of humor ("Oh look a shoe that smells like fish. Oh, look there's a fish in it" I think Calleigh was as amused as I was). I don't mind the use of JT's dead on cometic timing as long as they don't make him look like a doofus when they are doing it.
    Ryan's confronting Natalia about her hearing was spot on. Ryan told it like it was without being harsh about it; if you don't go to the doctor, someone could die. It bothered me briefly when he told Walter about it (kind of made it look as if he was blabbing it all over the lab) but I decided with Walter being his friend, he needed to confy it in someone.

--Gosh, I miss Natalia when she's not there. ELR's acting was excellent, and I am glad Natalia took Ryan and Walter's advise and saw a doctor (I really believed she would; Natalia wouldn't deliberately put anyone's life in danger if she could help it).
    Looks as if Nick is affecting her life from the grave. I got the impression that it was Nick's abuse that caused this (glad they didn't go down the same road as Gil). There was no way for the doctor to know if it was present or prior abuse so that is why he gave her the pamphlet.

--Mike Travers again!

--I can't decide if Scully was a slimeball or not. Looks as if he developed a bit of a conscious at the end.

--Horatio shooting from the hummer and hitting his target. What a stud.

--Was worried about Frank when he was in the car wreck. Loved his slamdown of Kenny. More Frank.

--Good team interaction again. Loved seeing Frank with Ryan and Natalia and more brainstorming (Ryan and Calleigh). Jesse with Calleigh and Walter.

--Found the headsets Ryan and Calleigh were wearing interesting and a good idea.

--Was a little worried with Walter sticking his hands in the dumpster looking for the needles until I remembered I was thinking of different kind of needles.

--I thought the actor who played Kenny was a nice looking kid. I felt sorry for Kenny but glad he was willing to give the Mom a chance.

I did like the episode. I loved the continuation of the concept of team they are trying to convey; not putting the same people together all the time and brainstorming to solve a case.:thumbsup:

4. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

I was wondering the same thing about Natalia. Was the pre-existing injury from Nick or someone else??? If it was from Nick, why would she be contemplating taking the pamphlet? Nick is dead (unless she has some kind of PTS from his abuse). So could she be being abused by someone else? This had me wondering. It would be interesting to see how/if this develops into anything and if her hearing loss will affect her work. It would be great to see Eva have a meaty storyline though. I really think she is a good actress.

**Here's a thought (although I'm probably going out on a limb here)...
    It was speculated that Stetler was abusive towards Yelina. I know Stetler has this "rule" about getting involved with co-workers, but perhaps Natalia and Stetler are dating and HE is abusing her. It would make since that someone who was abused will get involved in another abusive relationship. That would be an interesting twist and a way to get a storyline for Stetler as well. I'm probabaly reaching here...either that or I just really don't like Stetler ! :devil: It's just a thought, people!****

5. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

It just occurred to me that maybe Ryan told ppl about Natalia so they would help keep her out of the field. Her being so stubborn, I wouldn't have put it past her to lie so she could continue working. If i'm right, then Ryan really did it for her own good, whether she sees it that way or not. A smart move.

6. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

This ep is one of the most awesome Miami episodes ever! Every detail put into every scene was superb!!!

I absolutely loved DC in this one! He came through so well I realised I hadn't enjoyed his performance enough this season until I saw this one.

Cal, Ry, Walt, Frank, Jessie... everyone was great! Was sad when I saw Natalia having to go through all of that... CT scans & stuff, she had to go through all that alone :(

The storyline was great! But who would want to kill their own son?! the ugly reality of some things seems so awful to bear. I felt so disgusted by the 'slicing' & the part when they find that Mob boss wanted his son's liver... are humans that horrible or is that Maria (the writer) just did an awesome job writing such a great masterpiece?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Concerning the liver transplant, I think they can now do transplants or cloning of organ cells with just a piece of a donor liver. Maybe someone who's more savvy about these things could fill us in. You're right, RoscoeTrek; I can't imagine him wanting to kill his son for organs, but then again he is a mafia boss and probably used to getting what he wants. Just speculation.

I agree; this was one of the best this season. Had some good lines. I'm gonna have to remember Dr. Loman's "I'm just a few clowns shy of a circus...."

They addressed Natalia's hearing problem head-on and in scientific detail rather than just in passing like they would have in seasons past. I'm willing to bet Nick had something to do with the possible hand slap. Of course, given her history personally and with the lab, I can understand Natalia's defensiveness. She started out as the FBI mole, something she never wanted to do. Then there was her dislocated shoulder in S6. Anyone who's gone through the kind of abuse she went through with Nick is bound to be insecure and defensive.

Yeah, now that you mention it, RoscoeTrek, I find it hard to believe that nobody would be there with Natalia, unless she just didn't want anyone there.

I don't think Sully really wanted to accept that this guy was bad news until Horatio confronted him with the kidnapped boy. Guess it's true what they say--follow the money.

That mafia boss was a lousy shot, but I guess nobody hits Super H.

Hope they don't forget about Natalia's storyline. Eva LaRue carried it well, but I never expected any less of her.

8. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Yes, despite my recent postings, I did watch the episode last night. I watched it because I wanted to see what happened with Natalia's storyline. I thought it was an excellent episode, one of the best Miami eps I've seen in a long time. It was definitely like the earlier episodes that got me hooked on the show. So even though I haven't warmed to the new cast, it still really got my attention.

squinn1201, I know you don't like Rick Stetler. :lol: But I don't think you were reaching by thinking it could be him that Nat got hurt by. I wondered the same thing because of what we've been led to believe about his hitting Yelina. BUT, it was **Jesse** who she was waiting for a few episodes ago. :devil: He stood her up then, but that doesn't mean they didn't end up getting together. And maybe he's the baddie who's been abusing her.

RoscoeTrek, I, too felt sorry for Natalia when she was going through the scan. She looked scared. I would've been, too.

redanemone, I also totally saw what Ryan did as being for Natalia's own good, and to protect her, and that's why he told Walter.

I LOVED Horatio in this episode because it had him doing and saying all the things that made me fall in love with this character when I first started watching reruns on A&E two and a half years ago and got hooked on the show. Somehow the new writer was able to capture this. Great job. :thumbsup:

But getting back to Natalia's storyline (wow, yes, finally she has one, yay), Natalia has always liked the bad boys. As far as I remember, she was sleeping with Nick the same day he was murdered. That does say something about her. She has a certain weakness in this area. So maybe even out of loneliness as well, she found herself drawn to another bad boy. She might not have even been aware that he was bad at first, but is having the same problems staying away from him (whoever the "him" is)even after he started acting violent.

And it's true that if it were Stetler, at least it would give him a storyline. But I've been hoping for a storyline with him working *with* H to finally get Saris.

P.S.- I missed the very beginning and didn't see the guy get chopped in two.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

squinn1201, I know you don't like Rick Stetler. :lol: But I don't think you were reaching by thinking it could be him that Nat got hurt by. I wondered the same thing because of what we've been led to believe about his hitting Yelina. BUT, it was **Jesse** who she was waiting for a few episodes ago. :devil: He stood her up then, but that doesn't mean they didn't end up getting together. And maybe he's the baddie who's been abusing her.

That's a thought! I don't like Jesse either!!! Bring back Delko!

10. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Not bad. I didn't think much of the episode but 24 hours later I've come to the conclusion that it was pretty good..

I'm glad Ryan admonished Natalya about her recklessness. It got Speed killed and almost Calleigh a couple of times and we don't need it with another Miami person

Nice to see Frank get some time and I liked the bit with Travers and Walter trading one liners. Even the rats have to have their day too right?

As for Nat, I hope it is from her past with Nick but when Ryan was scolding her I had a thought when he told her that she could get someone killed.

What if
    Because of Togo's brush with the law, they kill Wolfe off and make it look like Nat's bad ears were responsible

However I don't think she would allow another guy to abuse her. I remember one episode where a perp grabbed her and she warned him to back off. Perhaps she learned some martial arts?

11. slower

slower Lab Technician

OH No, No, No, No, No., those are fighting words (put em up :lol:) about killing Mr. Wolfe off. There would be a lot of extremely unhappy fans around here. Positive thoughts please. :D He is the only reason I watch this show, if he's gone; i'm gone. :(

12. Divadee87

Divadee87 Hit and Run

I second that slower!!!! If there is no Ryan, there is no more need for me in here. :( :( :( Nothing ever became of that, so it presumably took care of itself. there is no need to bring that up again, and what happens in the actors personal life hardly ever affects them in their movie or tv roles unless it is drastic. those are serious fighting words... agreed, slower. only positive thoughts. :) :cool: :thumbsup:

13. slower

slower Lab Technician

Hi D, I was wondering where you went. Busy I know. BTW love the avatar. :)

If they were to let him go, it would be a dark day in Miami history. :( I would have to take drastic measures, by hunting him down, and dragging him back kicking and screaming. Hey that could be fun!!! :guffaw::devil::guffaw::devil:

No seriously he is the best actor on the show and his character has come a long way. His personal life should not interfer with that. :)

14. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Okay, I wanna know where Calleigh was for most the episode. I think she may have had a day off, but wait it was just a one day case...maybe she was sick, but she got better so fast:confused:

I like how Ryan yelled at Nat, shows he really cares for her. And yay less Jesse scenes, I think. I rate this one 3 or 4 out of 5.

15. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

I actually preferred this episode to last week's. (Honestly, the only good thing about "Show Stopper" is that there was a lot of Calleigh in it!) I found the storyline and premise of "Die by the Sword" more interesting, and it was great to see Horatio back in action again. :thumbsup: I especially liked the interaction between H and Kenny ... it reminded me a bit of his relationship with his own son, Kyle. It was also nice to see Natalia finally getting her shine. I'm intrigued to see how her "hearing loss" story arc plays out. I would've liked to see more of Calleigh (she only appeared in the 2nd half of the eppy!:rolleyes:); but she was featured so heavily in "Show Stopper" that I guess TPTB were giving her a bit of a break. And Ryan (bless his comedic heart) had me cracking up during the too-short time he was on screen. :guffaw: Jesse sort of blended into the background in this episode, IMO. Some of the scenes in "Die by the Sword" were pretty dark and emotional, but, while David Caruso was clearly up to the task (and then some!), Eddie Cibrian pretty much maintained the same expression the entire time. Oh well, maybe he'll surprise us in future episodes ...:confused: