Episode 8x13 - 'Die By The Sword' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Futon Critic

CSI: MIAMI
    Air Date: Monday, January 18, 2010
    Time Slot: 10:00 PM-11:00 PM EST on CBS
    Episode Title: (#813) "Die By The Sword"

THE BIZARRE CASE OF A MAN CHOPPED IN HALF BAFFLES THE CSIs, WHILE NATALIA'S INJURY PUTS HER AND RYAN IN JEOPARDY, ON "CSI: MIAMI," MONDAY, JAN. 18

"Die By The Sword" - The bizarre case of a man chopped in half baffles the CSIs, while Natalia's injury puts her and Ryan in jeopardy, on CSI: MIAMI, Monday, Jan. 18 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS
    Horatio Caine............................. David Caruso
    Calleigh Duquesne....................... Emily Procter
    Eric Delko............................. Adam Rodriguez
    Jesse Cardoza............................ Eddie Cibrian
    Ryan Wolfe............................... Jonathan Togo
    Det. Frank Tripp................................ Rex Linn
    Natalia Boa Vista........................... Eva La Rue
    Walter Simmons............................ Omar Miller

RECURRING CAST
    Tom Loman...................... Christian Clemenson
    Michael Travers............... Christopher Redman
    Det. John "Sully" Sullivan............... Brad Leland

GUEST CAST
    Kenny Turner......................... Booboo Stewart
    Russell Turner........................ Brian McGovern
    Takashi Yamada........................... Roger Yuan
    Aiko Okanagi.................................. Lewis Tan
    Susan Lee.............................. Michelle Krusiec
    Doctor Marshall.......................... John Newton

WRITTEN BY: Melissa Scrivner

DIRECTED BY: Matt Earl Beesley
    RATING: To Be Announced

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

3. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

CAN'T WAIT!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!! I just... CAN'T WAIT!!! Gosh! Haven't been this excited since Avatar :p

4. Michya

Michya Lab Technician

Looking forward to see how they are going to play out Natalia's issue! It has been quite a long while since we've even seen Natalia too.

5. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I agree with you, it's time with have a story about Nat. Hopefully it's a complete story.

Isn't Eric suppose to be in this epi?

6. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

^^^ I don't think Eric will be in episode 8x13, but, from the spoilers I've read, he'll be in the episode after that, 8x14.

It'll be a refreshing change to see Natalia getting some screen time. IMO, we haven't been enough of her so far in Season 8.

7. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

Kudos to Ryan for confonting Natalia about her hearing problems. She could have got herself killed, or got someone on her team killed. She needed a wake up call. I am glad the writers finally addressed what was going on with Natalia and that she took Ryan's advice. I have to wonder though, the doctor said she had a preexisiting injury that could've been caused by her abusive late ex husband? Or is there a relationship we know nothing about?

As for the case itself, chilling at least the beginning being cut in half by a sword -creepy! I've got to say I was more interested in Natalia's storyline than the actual case.

8. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

I just have one thing to say about the opening scene....ewwww! :scream:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

From beginning to end, fabulous episode! Loved the case, loved Natalia's as well.

A few thoughts:
    Sully reminds me of a very bloated Dennis Hopper. Not sure if he's a good guy or bad guy, but I did enjoy that last scene with him & Horatio frantic to find out where Kenny is.

Loved Horatio firing his gun through the open window of his Hummer....pure awesomeness. :p

Kenny pulled on my heart-strings....I constantly was thinking of Kyle. Nice ending with him & his Mother.

So Walter knows about Natalia? I thought it was a secret...:wtf: I liked seeing him give her the Doc's card though, it was sweet of him to at least be thinking of her. Good teamspirit there.

Now about Natalia....if her pre-existing fracture was caused by her abusive marriage, why would TPTB keep that a "secret"...the viewers already know about it. When it comes to TPTB, I'm half expecting them to be fooling us into thinking that this was from Nick & then later they drop the bomb & it's from a more recent incident, one we were completely unaware of.
    Another abusive boyfriend? Doubtful. If it isn't from Nick, then I'm going to guess that she was attacked (or possibly worse, raped? esshk I hope not!) here in the last year or so & was too embarassed to say anything; or lack of evidence, maybe even lack of knowledge if she'd been intoxicated or drugged, forced her to keep it tight-lipped. So many possibilites, & I'm psyched to find out what it is she's hiding!!

Natalia seemed to have a much harder exterior in this episode, there was a certain edgy-ness that wasn't there before. Eva did fabulous conveying all the emotions; scared, hurt, confused, angry....wonderful job!

My first A+ for the season :thumbsup:

10. kljmiami

kljmiami Dead on Arrival

When I watched this scene I thought the doctor said that Natalia's inner ear injury might have been caused years ago and gone undetected until the explosion caused a serious and palpable problem. It sounds to me like the abuse she suffered with Nick is at least partly to blame for her current symptoms. Of couse, I have guessed at CSI Miami's plots before only to be proven dead wrong:rolleyes:. So I guess like everyone I am interested to hear what has happened to Natalia. I am really glad to see her as the focus of a story arc. About time!!

11. slower

slower Lab Technician

IDK, I thought he said it was a more recent incident and that is why he gave her the pamphlet (sp?) on violence.

12. Michya

Michya Lab Technician

Decent episode though I didn't like how they pinpoint right away the Japanese Mafia members so fast.

Now on Natalia, to me her pre-existing injury seems to come from the past abuse because she responded fairly quickly about not having any recent head trauma. Until the doctor told her about the violence part, then it seem to dawn on her. Who knows? The doctor didn't say she needed any surgery, so I wonder if her condition will get worse. I am really interested to know what is going on!

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree. I thought this was an outstanding episode and I can see why David was so excited about it.

Natalia FINALLY got to step forward and WOW! was Eva ever up to the task. She did an amazing job last night. I'm so excited to see where this goes with her character.

Sully was a complete and total jerk! His little turn around at the end was too late for me. I don't know how Horatio kept from punching his lights out!

That was pretty sweet! ;)

The patching it up with "mom" was a little fast, but they only have a certain amount of time. I liked Horatio's interaction with Kenny, a lot. Booboo Stewart did an outstanding job.

I personally was glad that the head bad guy was killed and not left to come back later and haunt Horatio. I suppose his minions could attempt to get revenge if they wanted to somehow continue this storyline (please, NO!), but his death means we won't see the vicious circle of one of Horatio's enemies showing up a year or so later to complicate things. That was getting really old (although they could bring Joe LeBrock back and I wouldn't complain)

I was sort of surprised that Ryan told Walter, but with the friendship we've seen develope between Ryan and Walter, it made sense. I liked the fact that Ryan apparently didn't tell Walter to hide from Natalia that he knew. I think Ryan learned his lesson with the eye injury and he's simply trying to push Natalia to address the issue sooner rather than later.

You have to give her she did address it as soon as Ryan and Walter stepped in ot help.

And talk about TEAM! They hit a home run last night. It was a tight, well written, very well performed episode. A full team, all working together. Everyone got some time - including FRANK! It can be done if they try! :thumbsup:

I got the distinct impression that the doctor was telling her that the injury was more recent than Nick.

I hope they don't go with an abusive relationship. I'm hoping that Natalia learned better then that with her relationship with Nick. Although we do have to remember that despite the abuse she suffered with Nick, she continued to have a relationship with him until his death.

Maybe I'm wrong, but haven't we seen indications in the past that Natalia works with battered women and children? If so, I wonder if an altercation with one of the batterers while she was trying to protect his victim is the problem. Although I don't know why she wouldn't call the police if she were attacked - unless she didn't think she was really hurt or the woman begged her not to.

I'm hoping that whatever the reason is, it is presented in a way that doesn't destroy the progress we've seen with Natalia since her introduction.

Like you, MJ, I can't wait to see what Natalia is hiding!

Eva was outstanding. I can't wait to see what she does with this storyline. I hope they do her justice.

14. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

This episode was great! I have to say, though. In the promo they kind of botched the suspense because they showed that Nat and Ryan were both okay after the guy snuck up on em.

I actually hope it's from none of these. I'm just not a big fan of overplaying the domestic abuse or attack & rape thing. I think those storylines are way too typical for female characters, they get tiring.

15. slower

slower Lab Technician

IMHO, the reason David was excited about this epi., was he actually got to do something besides playing second fiddle to.....

It will be interesting to see how Natalia's story plays out.