Talk LIMS #8: Final Results!

Re: Talk LIMS #8: Challenge One UP! (Sign Ups Open)

I can't wait to see them all either! :D But, as usual, I'm nervous as heck about it. :lol:

Re: Talk LIMS #8: Challenge One UP! (Sign Ups Open)

Mine is in, looking forward to seeing the entries! :D

Re: Talk LIMS #8: Round One

Round 1 Voting

Voting Rules:
~ Absolutely anyone may vote! You don't have to be an 'expert' ;)
~ Vote for the Top 3 of least quality, and the Top 2 of best quality.
~ Votes for least quality Must have a reason, or they will not be counted. Reasons for best quality are strongly encouraged ;)

(the following examples may have been "borrowed" from other sources)

Good Examples:
34: Text is oddly placed
50: Icon is over sharpened
62: Image is too blurry

Poor Examples:
96: I don't like the colour (personal preference)
52: Tiny text/decorative brushes are unreadable (it's supposed to be that way)

Nick01.jpg
Nick02.png
Nick03.png
Nick04.png
Nick05.png

Nick06.png
Nick07.jpg
Nick08.jpg
Nick09.jpg
Nick10.png

Nick11.jpg
Nick12.jpg
Nick13.png
Nick14.jpg
Nick15.png

Nick16.jpg
Nick17.jpg
Nick18.png
Nick19.png
Nick20.jpg

Nick21.png
Nick22.jpg
Nick23.jpg
Nick24.png
Nick25.png

If there are any problems, please let me know!

Least:
07: Because of the way the picture is framed and the way there are colours over top of it, it's really hard to tell what it is. It's also hard to see the camera, which is essentially what the icon is referring to with "paparazzo".

17: The colouring is good and everything, but the way that Nick is erased around/cut doesn't look very well done. You can tell it's a separate background.

09: Looks a little too oversharpened.

Best:

Re: Talk LIMS #8: Challenge One - Voting!

First of all, I'd like to say that all icons are fantastic! but I have to follow the rules so...

least:

17: Same reason as the poster above (be careful with the cut...)

22: Although It's a good idea to focus on the camera, the text is a little difficult to read (specially the first line, I think you should have added text shadow, or exterior glow, or used a different color... so it doesn't merge with the image)

05: Nice idea... I like the brushes you used... but the image is a little blurry

best:

(I would give the reasons... but they're mostly personal preferences)

Least

21: Way washed out, also seems oversharpened.
05: Really blurry/out of focus.
18: Nick's head and is stretched considerably (maybe becaue of the way it was sized/cropped/saved?).

Best

07: Attractive colouring and placement of text. It's quite unique.
22: The overall style blends everything together well.

Least:

04 - While I'm partial for cloud textures, the white outline left after cutting Nick from the base image is a little unnatural looking. The icon is also a little over sharpened and the text a little too bold with the drop shadow, there's more ways to make text pop besides using drop shadows/glows. Gets a little boring when there's not much done to the text other than a shadow added.

10 - Nick blends in way too much with the texture, kind of hard seeing the text too.

17 - The coloring is nice, but the way that Nick is cut out of the icon makes it look bad. That's something that takes a lot of practice to get the hang up, I'd suggest using smudging as well as the cut/paste technique.

Best:

Least
05 - doesn't look like much has been done to the icon
17 - Nick's head looks weird
14 - same as #5

Best
01 great coloring, nice placement of text
10 original colors, the icon has a nice feel to it

Least

7. Icon is very busy and hard to tell what the subject is.

9. Icon is oversharpened.

17. The background texture is cut awkwardly around Nick.

Best

Least:

5 - love the brush, but the image is just too blurry.
7 - very busy - too much going on, and the subject isn't easy to recognise.
21 - too much contrast.

Best:

Least:

17 - The cut isn't very well done... I know it's very hard work and I've great respect for you to try it... I personally don't have the equipment to even try it...

22 - I like that you focus on the camara... but the whole icon seems a little blurry, which might have been your intention. That makes it really hard to read the text.

07 - I guess you wanted to focus on the camara here... at least that's what I guess from reading the text. It is really hard to tell what it is because the icon is very dark.

Best:

02 - I like how you focused on Nick in your icon ( he is coloured the backround isn't) Very well done :thumbsup:

20- I like the crop, the texture, the colours and the fonts :D 'Ghostlike' Nick makes your icon a little mysterious. Amazing :bolian:

Back