Horatio/DC #15: 'Back To Basics'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I truly felt like the old Horatio was back last night! The compassionate, totally engaged Horatio that I remember from seasons 1, 2 and 3. God, I've missed him!

Eric thanking Horatio for all the calls made it clear that he kept in close touch with Eric after he left the team. He very warmly reminded Eric that he was still family and was totally supportive, inclusive and encouraging of Eric's position.

That said, while I do enjoy Horatio and Eric's relationship, I do have to say that I'm not a fan of what they are doing by bringing Eric back like this. The character's time is over. Let him go already.

I really enjoy Horatio and his interaction with everyone on his team this season - except one. I'm still struggling with Horatio/Calleigh interaction and seeing Calleigh in a positive light. I'm afraid that will never change. I will admit that their scenes together are not as painful as last season, but the chemisty of the past is dead and I no longer enjoy watching them together.

On a more positive note, we got to see Horatio chasing down a suspect, in court, working a crime scene (I couldn't help but smile when I saw Horatio at the crime scene holding up his flashlight :thumbsup:) and in the lab. We saw him working with his whole team - not just guiding them from a distance but working with them. I really enjoy watching him work with Ryan, Natalia and Walter especially.

And we got to see Horatio comforting a victim.

As a Horatio fan I can't complain at all about this episode as it relates to him. This is the Horatio I've been so desperately waiting for! :thumbsup:

And I got to see Frank and even a little bit of Natalia. Yep. A good feeling after watching this one. I'm really enjoying this show for the first time in 3 /2 seasons. It's a really nice feeling. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Exactly why I loved him in this epi! In itself I was a bit bored (sorry, Eric dear, but you bore me now ;)) but it was awesome to see Horatio just all over the place, & HANDS-ON! I love the man, but it was really getting tiresome just watching him give orders & interogate suspects.

The ending? Awhh...*happy sigh* if it wasn't like suicide I would sooooo marry this man! :lol:
    His compassion never feels phony or forced -- when he pulled that woman near him with his hand on the back of her head....guhh ...love him. :adore:

3. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I totally I agree with the both of ya!!! H was definately all over the place... He even worked the computer! :)

I do agree that his relationship with Cal had taken a major blow over the past few seasons. It seems like the only common factor between them relationshipwise is that they both love Eric.

The writers are trying hard to revamp this friendship. You could see tptb made an effort on the premier when it was Cal's first day in Miami.

I feel the reason why things went downhill was coz of the selfish storylines in the previous seasons plus the idea that H & Cal were two different teams working one case but hardly any interactions between them! Of course, there were refrences but hardly any scenes where the two of them actually are in the same room? :confused:

This season's been different. There's much more direction & clarity from H's side & Cal's been doing more of backseat driving. Actually, I should rather put it this way: everyone including H's getting a fair distribution of screentime & though I do love all the teamwork... I did realize how much I missed H over this long haul!

4. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Yeah. Eric's return held nothing for me either.

Days later I'm still very pleased with Horatio in this episode. I'm so hoping that his journey back to the totally engaged Horatio continues.

I don't think he ever lost his compassion and caring, especially for the victims, but the harsh, cold approach of the last three years have made it very difficult to see that side of him.

As I've said before, I understand that they were trying to portray him as someone who was devasted by the violent loss of someone he loved, but the writers inability to convince me of this supposedly deep love Horatio and Marisol shared left me unable to buy the darkness that Horatio sunk into after Marisol's death. I'm glad he's apparently done mourning.

David is very gifted when it comes to portraying compassion and empathy. Better than pretty much anyone on TV right now and certainly better than anyone else on the show, imo. (Although I think Natalia could give him a run for his money. ;))

And he does that a lot on film when he gives hugs (hand on the back of the head). He did it with Suzie at the hospital as well and in several other films and TV shows I've watched with him. I LOVE how he does that. It just seems to add so much to the hug - more comforting?? I'm not sure how to describe it, but I love it! :thumbsup:

It really was a delight to watch him in this episode, wasn't it? :thumbsup:

I think you're right about the writers, and others, finally making an effort with Horatio and Calleigh. But after 3 1/2 seasons, the damage is done for me.

And you're also right about this season being different. The focus seems to be back on the "TEAM" as opposed to only certain characters. Sadly the main reason I began watching CSI Miami was because of David Caruso and Emily Procter.

But in the last 3 1/2 seasons I've learned to appreciate Caruso's postive interaction with the other actors on the show and to truly appreciate the "TEAM". I think that is what drives the show and should continue to be the focus of the writer's efforts.

I know I've missed my Horatio! I'm so glad to see him back! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It was difficult to buy, but I always looked at it as Horatio missing/grieving the "what could have been" rather than him solely mourning her & the time they spent together. Imagine starting a relationship, getting married, making plans for children, thinking you're on the right track finally, & then all of that be taken away quickly -- it's enough to make the grieving process that much more difficult & I could see where it would make one lose hope. So for me, it was never so much that he had this enormously deep love for her; his "happy family fantasy bubble" just bursted when she died.

Agree with you, & Roscoe as well. I can appreciate that there's an attempt, but as Delynn said, the damage seems to be done for me as well.
    It will take more than them simply sharing a few scenes here & there for me to get that "lead duo" vibe again. And quite honestly, I'd love more to see him bond with the others (Ryan & Natalia especially) & create a better established relationship with them. I mean, we've seen his bromance with Eric, we know it's there, & we still see the affect Speed left on him as well -- it wouldn't hurt TPTB to let Horatio have that same fondness/family love for his other "kids".

6. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I just love the way you say his "kids". I share the same feelings you have about H when it comes to his team. He is indeed a "father" to these strangers whom he has welcomed to his "family". I do agree that perhaps he hasn't embraced them as close as we would like to see but when I saw the look on H's face when he saw two of his own in that burning house (Count Me Out) I can't Begin to tell you how much it makes me believe in the wonders of fatherly love.

As weird as it may sound but these intense moments are what brings people closer together like true families. H loves his "family" be it his blood or not, every victim is someone he cares about. But what the heck, don't we know about this already?! The problem is that the writers have not been consistent with H's relationships with anyone on the whole.

I do agree that the writers should make a real consistent effort to show H's relationship with his team on a much greater personal level. We know that H's relationship with Cal is purely professional but I do think it's time we see some kind of depth to their relationship, just like in the first few seasons especially after Speedle passed.

Which brings me to another idea that's been naggin me for awhile now; so here goes: if H has to leave (God forbid, not ready to let him go), do you think you could tolerate a bonehead manouver and watch him being replaced by a stranger like in CSI (no offense to the producers of CSI) or would you rather see one of the team come up to the stand and take his place?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

This is in all honesty, I do not think that anyone, new or old, could replace this character -therefore, I wouldn't want either. If worse came to worse & H had to go, I'd rather see the show end alltogether.
    Sure Jesse has a few similar traits, & Calleigh at times can be seen as a superior figure ( though not much anymore, imho), still I have a very hard time even imagining either one being placed alongside Laurence Fishburne & Gary Sinise as the leads for this franchise.....just don't see that happenin'.

I absolutely agree, which is why we need to see much more of it! :thumbsup:

8. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I share the same feeling about this. H is a special character. He is so unique often times it isn't about the forenics, it's about this man & his team! Which is why it deviates greatly from CSI (not that it's a bad thing ;)). However, I don't know if I'd like such a show to end :confused:.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Good heavens! I meant to post my feeling about this forever ago and got distracted. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention RudyTreks! :)

I think that Horatio would be very tough, if not impossible, to replace. He, of all the leads, is most closely identified with his show. When people see Caruso, they think CSI Miami.

If they had to replace him, I think it would not only have to be a very talented actor/actress, but someone with strong screen presence to fill in that huge place Caruso has carved out for the lead on this CSI.

I don't know that I ever thought Calleigh was capable of taking over command of the Crime Lab. I certainly don't think she is now - after the changes I've seen happen to that character in the last couple of years. As second-in-command, she is adequate when she is focused. But I think her focus has been elsewhere in the last couple of years. And like, MJ, I don't think she has anywhere near the strong screen presence of Horatio, Mac Taylor, Catherine or Ray Langston.

I like Jesse - a lot! I just don't think he's been there long enough for fans to accept him taking over for Horatio. I know that he's been introduced in a way to indicate a history with Horatio and a history as a qualified CSI. But that history in the CSI Miami world doesn't equate to history with the fans that the other characters have right now. The times that Jesse has appeared authoritative or acting in a capacity one might equate to Horatio when he is on the scene, has not always been well received. (I am one that took exception to Jesse telling Horatio to "check the truck". That scene could have been much better written, IMHO.) While they didn't come on as strong with Jesse as they did with Langston, we did see a significant amount of screen time devoted to him after his introduction.

That said, a few more years under his belt and I might be able to buy Horatio turning it over to Jesse.

For me, if Caruso/Horatio is not on the show I will most probably move on - depending on who they get to replace him. I'd probably watch long enough to see where they go with it, but Caruso/Horatio is what drew me to CSI Miami and he's what kept me hanging in there when I had reached saturation level with a storyline I detested in the last 3 1/2 years.

I'm glad I hung in there long enough to see the focus come back to the team and to see Horatio come back to himself. I'm almost happy enough to say it was worth suffering through the past 3 1/2 years - almost! ;)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  10. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

11. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Loved the clip! I have to admit that the DVDs from seasons 5, 6 and 7 are rarely, if ever, viewed unless they are specifically Horatio centric episodes. When A&E airs CSI Miami, when they reach those three seasons, I rarely bother to watch.

I miss the old Horatio, too. But I'm holding out hope that the positive changes we've been seeing with Horatio continue. I'm enjoying Horatio more this season than I have for a long time.

I don't know that we'll ever see the Horatio from seasons 1 and 2 again. Too much has happened to the character to expect him to go back at this point. And that really does make me sad. That was the Horatio that I truly enjoyed and that initially drew me to CSI Miami.

I do think that the hard, cold, detached person that Horatio became in seasons 5, 6 and part of season 7 is fading and the engaged, caring, compassionate Horatio is finding his way out of the darkness.

It's really nice to see him again! :thumbsup:

12. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

Horatio is an entirely different person now from "H" of seasons 1-3. But the sensitive "H" drought could be over. This season we're finally seeing a re-emergence of some of the traits from the past; when we see him at all. Horatio scenes have been minimized, causing major concerns. He may appear in many scenes, but they're often limited in scope or relevance to the storyline.

It's not the CSI Miami that enticed me in the beginning. There's nothing Eric, Calleigh or Jesse can do to fill those gaps. Only Horatio has that ability. Where is the complete "H"?

13. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I'm just glad that my H isn't dead! I didn't mean that literally but with the way things were going on in the seasons after 3, H looked like he could lose it any minute!
    The H we see this year is a much more compassionate H. This H is far more wiser & considerate than the H in seasons 1-3.

H's character has grown alot in these 7, 8 years we've enjoyed! He's gone from a Kick-ass H to Super-H to a now Compassionate H.

That's how I feel his character has progressed. Awesome guy... truly awesome!

Have a great New Year ahead! God Bless!

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Everyone changes in 8 years, I wouldn't ever have expected him to stay exactly the same. Having said that, there were Horatio moments that I could've done without, & unfortunatly by the time 'Resurrection' aired I was so fed up with the show (& the storylines) that I seriously wanted H to just become vegetable dip for awhile -- that's how badly I loathed the show at that time, & sadly, had become highly annoyed with his character. *dodges bullets* It was everything though, not just H's development. ;)

Not sure of the moment I saw the initial turn-around with Horatio, but I'm glad it finally came! Perhaps it wasn't Horatio at all, but me, who just managed to view things differently & with an open mind. After the abundance of e/c & the actors who portray them, I came to have a much greater appreciation for David Caruso in what he brings to Horatio & the show (Eva & Jon as well). I guess in a way all that S6&7 garbage served a purpose afterall. :p

Agree on the first half, though I always thought H was pretty considerate in those early years as well...much more than in S5-7.

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Work, snow storms and appointments may slow me down tomorrow, so just in case:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID!!!

:beer: :beer:

And an old Irish birthday wish:

These things I warmly wish to you -
    Someone to love
    Some work to do
    A bit o' sun
    A bit o' cheer
    And a guardian angel always near.

Have a wonderful day, David. :)