8x07 - 'Bone Voyage' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Nov 6, 2009.

1. gottaluvcsi

gottaluvcsi Police Officer

Personally speaking it was not my favourite but the Ryan, Walter, Jesse scene would have had me laughing if I was not ill! Walter and Tom having some obsession over Ray was interesting but...cute but everything in my opinion has just seemed so predictable.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That mother's heartbreak made tears come to my eyes.

I like that music when they found the car.

"Dumb as a spoon." :lol: That look that the guy gave Walter was funny.

"Let's go, Heff." :lol:

Loved Nat's sarcastic "awesome" when the suspect told her she was "smokin' hot" or whatever it was he said.

"Dave that is our first break. You are a rock star." hehe.

Loved in-charge Ryan. :D

W: Found a piece of skull.
    R: Walter, that is a turtle shell. :lol:

I don't think they were making jokes at all. I saw nothing wrong with that scene. Walter truly thought that was a piece of skull. Ryan knew it wasn't and told him that. They were definitely NOT making light of the situation of the missing girl.

"Circle gets the square." for some reason that made me chuckle.

That was a long handshake between Ray and H. :lol:

"Think like a bear." :lol: Walter telling Ray its an honor to meet him was cute, but Loman's fanboy moment over Langston was a little over the top. I found it quite nauseating. A little too much rather than subtle and nice like Walter's comment. Loman acted like a young girl backstage at a Jonas brothers concert. :lol: The writers went a little too far with that scene IMHO.

H referred to Ryan by his first name. :) Nice! That's been a while.

Loved Natalia's "Yes!" when they narrowed the possibilities to one. Very cute!

Zetas? Is that a fraternity or a gang? :lol:

Ryan, Walter and the bear. :lol: "Make yourself small and non-threatening!" "I can't make myself small and non-threatening!" :lol:
    "You can't outrun a bear." "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you." :lol: Loved Ryan grabbing a hold of Walter's arm like it would protect him to do so. :lol: Walter screaming. Jesse shoots the bear and says, "It's alright. You're safe now, girls." :lol:

Why is Natalia always stuck doing Valera's job?

Good lord that's a nasty looking bathroom.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Very cool of Horatio and Mac to send gifts to the Vegas team, how thoughtful, and sweet. I enjoyed the continunity of that, and texting Dr. Langston to let him know what was going on:bolian:

4. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Now there you see I have to say... I am embarrassed by Travers. Even his name ! He even sounds like a butler! hehe.

What is it with American TV shows that they have to have the token Brit in there with a clipped BBC presenter accent? Why not make him wear a cardigan (oh wait they did!) and be really bizarre because that's what we all are in the UK. Cardigan wearing, clipped accented, pipe smoking eccentrics :guffaw:

It is good to see him back and toned down a little. I'd prefer Valara back though tbh. Maybe because I'm British I find his accent far too annoying :lol:

5. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

:lol:your post made me laugh...you are right! But you forgot to mention that he should have a break every day at 5 o'clock for a tea and scones and keep repeating 'indeed' with exagerrated British accent. There is something about Americans imagination about English people(just to mention Emily, Ross's wife in 'Friends') that they accent is always so exagarrated. Ok, I'm not British, but live in the UK for more than 5 years and nobody here speaks like that...;)

6. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I've read several comments here and in other sites of people that found it very funny so yeah, I think it was supposed to be funny, whether you think they were joking or not. And that's what bothered me--a funny scene in such a serious situation. I don't remember any other episode with a similar situation where two characters had a funny bit of dialogue. In any of the three shows.

Walter has been established as a funny character --I won't say what I really think of him :censored:--, so every time he opens his mouth, people expect he's gonna say something funny. I'm aware that it's working, but it was unnecessary that Walter had this scene in that moment. People were bound to found it funny --we can argue if it was, but the fact is that most of what Walter says, people think it's funny-- and it wasn't the time or the moment for that kind of humor.

Anyway, some may think that I'm very biased because I don't like this type of humor. I actually hate the sitcom-type of humor, I find it very unfunny. But my boyfriend loves sitcoms and he gave me a WTF look both with the shell and the bear moments, so I know I'm not imagining things. :shifty:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Funny moments in serious situation is not something that's uncommon or wrong. Sometimes humor may be what gets one through the horrors of a situation. And Miami wouldn't be a first show to employ that technique.

But even then, in this case it wasn't even done on purpose so that Ryan and Walter could have a laugh. If anything, it would be used to highlight Walter's inexperience in the field that he would mistaken turtle shells for human skull. And it wasn't as if the characters were laughing about how they found turtle shells, in fact, they weren't even laughing at all.

I guess I just don't see what's wrong with a light-hearted moment in the investigation of a dark gruesome crime. I mean, do we really want our characters to appear all depressed and serious all the time just so that it would fit the situation? And besides, every crime should be taken seriously and is horrifying and disgusting, so if were to follow the logic that humor shouldn't be in serious situations, then Miami should just forget about humor all together since after all, all crimes should be considered serious and heinous, why should one crime be considered different from another, they are all crimes after all and people's lives are effected.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I totally agree with you. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the turtle shell scene. They were NOT joking about anything in the scene. It was meant to be funny that Walter thought a turtle shell was a piece of skull because Walter is supposed to be smart. That's all the funny there was there. It wasn't as if they were standing there saying, "Nah, I bet the girl's skull isn't that big cause she probably had a small brain" or something like that. Was it a little odd to throw in the episode? Sure. But it wasn't to make fun of the situation of the girl missing.

The bear thing while funny was a bit out of place. But yeah I agree we don't want our characters all depressed and stuff all the time. There has to be some light hearted stuff in their somewhere. If these shows had not one lighthearted moment in them most people would probably stop watching because they'd be too depressed. But also, this was a crossover ep. Everything they did in this episode was designed to get more viewers. To get those who regularly only watch NY or LV (or both), but not Miami to be pulled into Miami. I guess the writers felt that if they saw some humor, they may come back for more episodes. That's all it was about. It wasn't about devaluing the fact that a poor young innocent girl lost her life in a horrible and cruel way. It was about getting more viewers.

Honestly I don't think the turtle shell scene was bad at all. I think it was quite harmless. And I wouldn't compare the bear thing to sitcom humor. More like movie humor cause it reminded me of scenes from Strange Wilderness and some other movie which I cannot think of the name of at the moment. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  9. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Admittedly, I haven't seen many episodes in the past few years, but I watched this one because of the crossover. I liked it. I still think Emily Procter and Jonathan Togo are terrible actors, though. I would probably watch more regularly if it wasn't for them.

10. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

Colonel Worf, This thread is for discussion of the Bone Voyage episode. If you disliked something about the episode, then criticism is always welcome as long as it's constructive. Simply saying that "so and so is a terrible actor" is not constructive.

11. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I said I liked the episode but I'm not a consistent watcher because of the acting. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

12. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I personally find Emily Procter to be a wonderful actress, she's got great talent and I've loved her ever since seeing her on the West Wing, in which she is absolutely brilliant. She can play very different ranges and knows her character very well.

Jonathan Togo has shined in his episodes as well, bringing both wit and sarcasm to Ryan when needed, a sense of brooding darkness when it's called, and certainly can bring the drama when they ask of him. His character has grown very well over the years too and Jonathan is a big reason for that.

Just a note, a comment like yours will surely draw fire from many of Miami longtime viewers, so you should probably watch how you phrase your words. And I really don't think 8 years is a "few years" at all, Miami is now the number one most watched show in the world, so obviously this cast is doing something right.

13. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I agree with these assessments; both actors are quite talented and bring a wide range to their respective characters. I really felt Calleigh's pain when the witness being protected died in "Wrecking Crew" through Emily's acting abilities and one doesn't have to look any farther than "Wolfe in Sheep's Clothing" to see Jon Togo's range. Plus Jon did appear in "Mystic River" with Sean Penn and Tim Robbins and I don't think Clint Eastwood would have put in his movie if he thought Jon Togo couldn't act.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but one should be respectful when expressing them.

14. slower

slower Lab Technician

I agree. I have watched Miami for years and the one character that keeps me coming back for more is Ryan and it is all due to Jon Togo's talents in making this character breath. I seriously doubt anyone else could have come close to doing what he has done with Ryan, no I don't doubt, I know they couldn't.

15. SnowScorpio

SnowScorpio Victim

Glad to see another cross-line between diff CSI projects. Seems they haven't done so for quite a long time.