Horatio/DC #15: 'Back To Basics'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Aug 31, 2009.

1. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

She does give David/Horatio his due when it comes to children, but rarely extends beyond that. I wasn't thrilled with her review of last night's NY episode, either.
    :scream:By the way, I cringe a little whenever I see your signature because, usually when we get a firm quote like that from Ann, we find it's not true. Relying on her veracity has proven to be an error in the past. Let's hope this time she's telling it like it is.;)

2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I understand completely! I read that comment and expected to hear that David was leaving within a matter of days! :)

I don't trust most of what Ann says because she so obviously spins whatever show-related topic she is discussing to get the most mileage with the ratings. I guess it's her job.

But it's rare to hear anything very positive from TPTB about ANY of the characters/actors except Eric/Rodriguez and Calleigh/Procter since Donahue & Co. launched the E/C epic romance over three seasons ago.

When I saw that comment I just had to seize the moment! Mostly because, whether Donahue meant it or not, I think for the most part it's true. Horatio is such a huge part of CSI Miami, I'm not sure the show would survive his departure. (Much like the rating's disaster The X-Files experienced after Duchovny/Mulder's departure - although he did pop in and out until the show was cancelled.)

I know that people who watch the show and hate Horatio or David, or both, think there would be little or no impact if he left. They are fooling themselves. I don't care for Calleigh and think her storyline is played out. I'd love to see her leave. I'm not stupid to believe that her leaving won't have a major impact on the show and the audience.

The difference is that I think the show could survive the loss of Calleigh. I don't think it could survive the loss of Horatio. That said, I'm sure Calleigh's fans would violently disagree! ;)

A significant part of all of our opinions regarding most aspects of the show is heavily laced with our character/actor preferences. As the Vulcan IDIC states, "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" - it's what keeps life interesting and the message boards in business!

3. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:guffaw::guffaw:How very true!!

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^That's why I half-ass believe that she's sincere with that qoute. When Ann Donahue speaks of storylines & characters, then yes, I tend to look the other way because she says what she has to to sell the story. In this case, it was just a nice word from showrunner in regards to the lead male -- nothing to sell, push, or force, didn't even needed to be said, but she did, so, I'll take her word on this one.

Love him or hate him, David made Horatio who he is, & Horatio is the face of this show - IMO, he always will be. I am aware there are plenty of fans for the other characters/actors, & I am in the opinion that it takes ALL of them to put on a good show, but without Horatio it would not ever be the same CSI:Miami. I just think they'd lose the overall feel of the show & the team if it were to ever happen - like Donahue, I wouldn't want to imagine it either - it would be beyond suckish!

5. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Now I may mock the man to death about all his funny quirks and moments, but I will never hate him and will defend him to the end! His heart and his compassion has always endeared Horatio Caine to me, and I will never forget the moment when Speed died and Horatio's voice broke as he softly called out Speed's name, most definitely David Caruso's best acting moment on that show!

I make fun of the man, I don't deny that, but I have always loved his sense of compassion and his love for children and the families of the victims, men like Horatio Caine are truly very rare these days! And to be honest, I can't imagine anyone else other than David himself making this role as iconic as it is!

Sure I never quite got used to the dramatic acting and the whole superhero pose and the whole sunglasses deal, and I always mock that aspect, but I still love this character for his big heart and I adore David's great sense of humor and just him being generally such a sweet man! Most actors these days would have gotten all upset at being made fun of and laughed at, but David takes it all in strides and has a great sense of humor, that is a great testament to just what a wonderful kind of person David Caruso is!

So no matter what problems I may have with the character of Horatio Caine or the way David has portrayed the character, I still love this man very much and I can't imagine the show without its compassionate leader!;)

Okay, all that said and done, I found this video that's just simply hilarious! Who knew Anthony Zuiker has such great humor? LOL!:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvtxDhPjUqs

Apparently even the creator's got an imitation of Horatio Caine!:guffaw:

6. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

I've been catching up on all the CSIM episodes I've missed this season (which is just about all of them) and I noticed something. Is it just me, or does Horatio never drink?

I could be wrong but I don't think Horatio has ever had an alcoholic drink on the show. I remember in that episode where Frank is a suspect, Frank and Horatio are at a bar and Horatio orders coffee. At the time I figured Horatio just wanted to be able to drive Frank home. But at the end of "Hostile Takeover" once again Horatio orders a club soda instead of an alcoholic drink like everyone else. He claims it's because "someone has to drive" but really, is anyone there going to get trashed? They're just having drinks.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Horatio ever drinks. Perhaps he doesn't because of his father? What do you guys think?

7. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Never seen him drink either. While I don't think Horatio is a religious man, I think his father or someone else who got messed up by the bottle may have influenced him.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Good question, MaddyAnn. I don't recall him drinking either, though for some reason I've always wanted to see him knock down a few; would love to see if he ever let's loose and cuts a rug on a dancefloor! :p
    Ok, that's far-fetched and will only happen in my imagination; at least let him take off the jacket, loosen a few buttons, and have a brewsky with the rest of the gang though.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Interesting. I guess this was something I never noticed. I think I've only actually seen him drink something once. That was coffee. Then there was both of the instances that you two mentioned.

Horatio has never ordered or accepted an alcoholic drink that I can remember.

I'm not sure how much religion has to do with it. We did see a little of Horatio's connection to his religion in "From the Grave" and he seemed to be serious. But we certainly don't see evidence on a regular basis.

I think you're both right. If it is a conciously designed character trait, I would be willing to bet that it has something to do with his father.

10. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

Actually H did have some wine back in 'Under Suspicion'. Not to say that it matters but I don't think H's exactly a 'teetotaller' of sorts.

While you could think its got something to do with his dad (or even his mom), I feel its got more to do with his responsible side. Those two instances related more to his responsible trait than the idea that he's trying to remain sober.

I must say though I did have my doubts when he ordered a club soda instead of a 'normal' drink but... it turns out he was just being H.

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Actually, it could be that he does drink, but only at home -- 'Under Suspicion' just came to mind. When Ryan and Calleigh went to the crime scene where H's date took place, I'm almost positive there were 2 glasses of wine on the table. I remember one of them noting that one of the glasses had a lipstick ring.
    There was another time in season 3 (can't recalll episode title) when H was talking to Rebecca about Speedle's death (closing scene) -- Didn't we see her walking towards him carrying a drink, as if she was bringing it to him?
    Just a few possibilities there; though I admit both scenes are a bit vague and I could be completely off.

Edit: LOL, Roscoe, you typed just as I did.

I agree. I think in both those incidents it was just Horatio wanting them to get home safely. That's true-form for Horatio, taking care of his team.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  12. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

So much for my Swiss cheese memory! :lol:

Yep, wine in "Under Suspicion" and now that you mention it, MJ, I do seem to remember Rebecca bringing Horatio something that looked a lot like some kind of alcoholic drink in "After the Fall".

So maybe it is Horatio's sense of responsibility more an any actual aversion to alcohol.

13. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

I think you all are right. Now that I think on it he had a glass of wine in "Under Suspicion." If he really had an aversion to alcohol I doubt he would drink even a glass of wine. Then again, maybe it's just the writers and their lack of continuity :rolleyes:. We never did really find out what happened in New York with his parents.

I guess the Frank thing and the "Hostile Takeover" thing were just look-how-responsible-and-leader-like-Horatio-is scenes. I love H, but I'm getting tired of the rigidity of his character. It makes me not want to watch the show. Someone who cares about others is all well and good but it doesn't really interest me unless they're able to connect with those they care about. To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen a truly believable and sincere scene between Horatio and anyone since season 4.

Horatio isn't an interesting character anymore. To any writers out there who stumble upon this, I'm begging you, save the show, loosen H up and make him a believable character.

Okay, rant over.

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Hey all, I just read David's most recent tweet....

He says they just completed epi 13 & they return to the world of father & sons; also says it could be a CSI:Miami masterpiece. I'm intrigued by his excitement for some reason. :shifty:
    From what I understand, epi 13 is 'Die by the Sword' about a Mob leader & his son....surely there's bound to be some H/Kyle references plastered throughout to kick off epi 14 where we learn Kyle is in the military. I hope this has a good outcome -- I'm thrilled for a Horatio arc... yet a little worried at the same time. Here's to hoping this doesn't end with a funeral.

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Thank you, MJ!! RL has kept me very busy this week and I haven't been able to keep up as much as I would like. I appreciate the heads up.

This sounds great! It's wonderful to see David so excited about an episode. I really hope that TPTB show a little originality and keep one person in Horatio's life alive - Kyle!