Horatio/DC #15: 'Back To Basics'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ I agree. I think DC did a terrific job in the episode. He did well with the emotional stuff with Delko and he also did very well with the flashback. He captured the old Horatio, and he played off well with that annoying detective.

2. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

A&E's now got their hands on season 7 and I watched the one where he gets shot but right before that there was a bit where Horatio laughs. I don't know about you guys but if I were a villain and saw Horatio laughing, I'd be worried...

This kind of reminded me of how Captain Janeway became admiral before Picard in Star Trek. My theory in regards to why Rick got promoted over Horatio is that he is more of a by the book man whereas Horatio can be a maverick. Also keep in mind that H's labs been dragged through mud with his various team members and that can be a factor too.

3. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Back from vacation! Wow! We have a title to the thread. Wonderful. :thumbsup:

Okay. Finally got a chance to watch the season premier and catch last night's episode as well. David did an amazing job in both, but especialy the premier! :) I'd like to think those who keep saying he can't act would see this episode and get off his back - but I'm a little cynical in that area so I doubt they'll still cut him any slack.

I'm truly seeing the old Horatio coming back to us. That cold, distant persona is fading and the caring, compassionate man is starting to re-emerge.

Last night's episode only served to make me more sure I'm going to enjoy season 8 so very much more than I have the last three seasons (too be honest, I've been pretty miserable and it was only the introduction of Kyle that made me stay) when I've been barely hanging in there. This is what I've been holding on for. The promise that Horatio would return to the character I liked so much in the first three seasons.

I'm feeling really good about season 8 and excited to see what David does with Horatio this year. It's an amazing start! :thumbsup:

4. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

This is an interview with Ann Donahue that Futon Critic posted on their website on September 21, 2009. I thought it was nice for Caruso fans to see Ann Donahue remark on how important David is to the show.

Here is the portion of her interview with her remarks about David:

JH: Have you thought about what would happen if David Caruso left and Horatio was no longer the center of the show?

AD: Oh no. Never. The show rises and falls on David's back and I will say with modesty that it's sometimes the number one show in the world and I think that has to do with David. People adore him. I cannot imagine the show without him and I wouldn't want to.

It's a rare acknowledgement and really nice to see. :thumbsup:

You can read the entire interview, which regards season 8 as a whole, here: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20090921_csimiami

5. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Love this bit. I'd put it as a sig.

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

What an excellent suggestion, CSI-AJ! Thank you. I had to trucate the quote to make it work (with the 250 character limit), but it lent itself very well to the edit!

Thanks again. It was really nice to see this quote. I won't mind carrying as a sig for a while! :)

7. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

Horatio is really starting to get back to the way he was. Hopefully they'll continue to push his character in that direction.:)

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree completely, Bgnogan! Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! :thumbsup:

I've been crossing my fingers hoping that they keep bringing Horatio back to himself as well. I think after hearing a couple of interviews with David Caruso and Eva La Rue, and both of them indicating that they plan to get "back to basics" this season (hence, the name of our Horatio thread), that we'll get the Horatio that a lot of fans loved back.

It's been looking good starting about the middle of last season and progressing nicely through this season so far. :)

I do wish now that they could find him a companion/girlfriend who is equal to him (not a damsel in distress or a cold, selfish prima dona). Someone who is NOT a major character on this show and therefore the relationship could remain in the background. Her introduction into his life could be an episode, but then she would need to step back as someone who is an occasional participant in Horatio's life and not a central story.

I absolutely love the Horatio/Natalia friendship. Their scenes together are a total delight for me. Horatio seems lighter and warmer when Natalia is around. She just radiates unselfish caring and warmth with everyone and Horatio just seems to soften a little when he is around Natalia. I don't think Natalia knows what it is to put herself before others. Horatio needs that kind of female in his life, but not a subordinate who works on his team. That's a no, no! Their friendship needs to remain just that!

And I'm really sorry Ducainers. I used to think that Horatio and Calleigh had a chemistry that couldn't be matched on television. IMO, no more. The chemistry is dead and has been for the last three, possibly even four, seasons. Romance isn't even a possibility when it's painfully clear that they aren't even friends any longer. They've both gone down completely different character development paths that has destroyed the caring and respect that used to be and it's beyond repair - at least for me.

I think it just part of Horatio's personality to care for everyone, and that still includes Calleigh if for no other reason than she is a member of his team (although even Horatio's caring is "different" somehow), I don't think Calleigh cares at all about Horatio. I was apparently in the minority with my read on Calleigh's reaction to Horatio's "death". While she seemed momentarily upset (more shocked, IMO), I thought she recovered quite nicely and was very quick to point out that "Horatio had enemies" and move on. She accepted his death immediately and simply got back to business.

Unlike Eric, who truly broke my heart with his reaction. You could tell he truly cared about Horatio and he was struggling with the thought that he was dead.

For some time now I've been wishing TPTB would just eliminate Horatio/Calleigh interaction altogether. Their persona when they are around each other is tense and cold and it's really not enjoyable to watch (for me, anyway). (Although it has improved slightly this season.) And eliminating their interaction isn't impossible. They did it for almost three seasons! (Unfortunately the prevailing storyline during that time still had me struggling. Tough to please, aren't I? :()

And, just where the heck is Kyle!??? I really like what he did for Horatio and was hoping that we would see some father/son bonding this season. Instead, like Suzie, Madison and Ray Jr., it looks like Kyle will just disappear. Never to be seen or mentioned again. :(

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I wouldn't mind H finding someone. All I ask is that she's mature, possibly older or more his age, & has a good head on her shoulders - must be emotionally stable, no fruitloops!
    I also have to add that I'd like for it to be next season if they play a romantic storyline for him again. Maybe the "new woman" could come into his life this season but just as a friend, or ex-colleague (making a few visits here & there) - someone he genuinly likes & respects, but someone he won't fall in love with after only a few episodes. Maybe stretch it out a little, & give the audience a glimpse of thier foundation first.

Agreed. What I'd like to see with Natalia & H is a close-knit relationship, but more like brother/sister. I wouldn't totally vomit if they were a couple (I've seen worse pairings), but I'd much rather see them develop further as more family-like.

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

This is an absolutely delightful video with David Caruso and Lawrence Fishburne.

Whoever is interviewing them tells Lawrence Fishburne that they've been asked by the network to have him do his impression of Horatio. Before he does, David does his impression of Lawrence.

It's really very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrdFYpryCa4

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Oh my God, I love David even more after watching that :lol: Those laughs - "make it sexy" :guffaw::guffaw: That is awesome, thanks for the clip Delynn.

12. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

Yeah don't you just love it when grown men are having fun at work like a couple of teenagers? cracking me up to see them laugh that much-too bad CSI 'work' is murder most of time and they have to act 'serious' ...these guys are cute when they smile! I could see them doing other work together that's for sure..

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I truly enjoyed Monday's night's episode, "Bone Voyage". I was so looking forward to seeing David and Lawrence Fishburne working together and I wasn't disappointed at all. They both did an amazing job.

My favorite scene had to be Horatio and Brenda Tanner, Ashley's mom. It was just heartbreaking and both David and Dendrie Taylor were perfect. Watching tha scene as a mom and a grandmother, my heart just broke for Ashley's mom. What horribly devasting news to receive. It was comforting to see Horatio there for her in that moment.

What has always made Horatio so special is his compassion and caring for the victims and their families. It's good to see Horatio finding his way back to himself.

As an aside, it appears that David made the Forbes list for top earning men in primetime! Well deserved in my opinion. A good part of the reason that CSI Miami is so popular world wide is David's portrayal of Horatio Caine.

14. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

;)
    I have to agree with your thoughts on "Bone Voyage". Between Horatio/Ray, Horatio with vic's Mom and the Walter/Ryan scenes, it was a great episode. I notice Kristine Huntley didn't think much of it, but I find her reviews have become tiring over time.
    A lot more action in tonight's CSI NY part of it, but it blended well with CSI Miami's Monday show. I'm looking forward to LV tomorrow.

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

To be honest, I'm not a fan of Ms. Huntley's reviews and I rarely agree with her opinions - as I stated in another thread.

Despite assurances by another poster that Ms. Huntley has "always loved" David/Horatio, I just don't "feel the love" most of the time and don't get an overwhelming sense of love when re-reading her past reviews.

But just my opinion! ;) I know that others think her reviews are excellent. Good for them!!