Your Blood Type?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Oct 16, 2009.

?

What is Your Blood Type?

1. A+

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. A-

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. B+

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. B-

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. AB+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. AB-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 0+

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. 0-

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. AnnaDelko

AnnaDelko Police Officer

I'm A- .
    I'm not old enough to donate organs or give blood. However, I plan to when I turn 18 .

2. heartcore

heartcore Prime Suspect

A+.
    I do have a organ donor card, and I want to start donating blood soon!
    I really like the feeling that I can help someone!
    Thats why I wanted to have a donor card as well!

3. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

How do you find out which your blood type is? I have no idea about mine, and it feels like a good thing to know. I don't donate blood, but I will try to check out if I can do it.

About organ donations, I am registered as a organ donator. They can take whatever they need from me, and the "useless" parts can be used in research to develop better treatments for various diseases.

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Usually when you donate blood that is when you find out what your blood type is. At least that's how it was for me. As for donating blood there is usually an age requirement. I think here in Canada it is 18. You'll need to check with the blood donor agency in the country where you live.

5. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Oh okay. Thanks for the help. I went to the blood donor agency's website (well, the swedish one, as I live here) and sent an application. They will contact me as soon as possible. So I might be a blood donor soon.

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I asked my doctor what my blood type was, and he looked and told me. Course it was the same as my fathers lol. Which meant during all his surgeries if they needed blood (as they were recycling his own) they had me on standby. I am like okay no problem, except the limits they had on me which sucked but it was for dad so... :lol:

Also if you want to know the next time your doctor orders blood workup on you, ask them if they could include typing, that you want to keep that info on you in case your in an accident, it saves time for the medical team. They can get it quick in the ER sure, but for your peace of mind you would like to know. They usually don't have a problem with that, and justifying it to insurance they can do so by claiming it is required to further help their patient. ;)

AnnaDelko did I miss something? you say your not old enough to consent to organ donation, if your parents agree you can have a paper signed either at your doctors office or when you get a photo ID (in the U.S), course this is depending on the country you are in.

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Cool, but still you will get your hemoglobin checked (you probably had application where they asked about medical conditions, travels etc.)

Oh, here it's been in the news that law about organ donating would change. You wouldn't need a card, everyone would be an organ donor except if you have especially denied it.

I think it would be cool.

8. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

No, I just needed to leave contact information so the nearest blood donor agency could contact me within a few days. I will leave information on medical conditions etc when I go there to sample and be interviewed at first visit.

By the way, where is "here"? Which country?

I don't even have a organ donor-card even if I am registered as a donor here in Sweden. But it doesn't automatically mean that they will "take" any one my organs when I die, as the relatives still can affect and decide about the organ donations. Well, at least it's what I have been told, I have no idea if it's true.

9. Stee

Stee Lab Technician

I'm B+ and I was quite surprised because until now I thought it's a more common bloodtype, but I guess I was wrong as I was the first to vote on this one :)

I always give blood when I have the opportunity - which means when the Red Cross comes to our school twice a year I always do, and I think I'll continue this after leaving school as well, because I have no illness that could exclude me from the blood donors.

As for being an organ donor I think it's the practice that if you die, but your organs still could be used you'll automatically become a donor, except if you state it otherwise in an official document. It's a very nice thing, although I know that our country unfortunately lacks in organ donors.:(

10. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I think many countries lack in organ donors, as there's a huge black market. Where people gladly sell some of their organs and get a lot of money for it. The people who sell and buy organs can also earn a lot of money doing this kind of "business". We would never have a black market like this, if only more people were willing to donate their organs when they're dead

11. HoratioStalker

HoratioStalker CSI Level One

I'm O+. The Red Cross used to love me until my iron count fell too much and deferred me from donating again. I started when I was 18 at a blood drive at college. As for organ donation, I know I won't need my parts when I'm gone, but I'm just squeamish. Isn't that stupid and selfish?

As for the food parts, I do tend to gravitate towards proteins (meat and cheese) over veggies or sweets. I have heard of the study and it seems to have some merit. My sister does the same as me and she's an O as well. :)

12. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ah yes, I just though because our Blood Service has online test, but those are pretty much the same questions that you have to answer once you go to donate blood (and you answer to those even before your hb is checked)

"here" is east from you ;) *waves from the other side of Bottniska Viken* ;)

13. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Wow, you used the swedish name for it. Awesome!

Back on topic, there are different systems in various countries then. Got the paper where I have to fill in medical conditions, and some information. Sadly, I cannot leave blood. I didn't read everything on the website, so I thought I was safe and could be a blood donor. But now when I read the information which they sent by mail, I realized that I was soo wrong :(

14. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I think you have to be pretty unhealthy in order not to be allowed to donate blood. Even smokers are allowed (hm :p).

Some questions I know by heart:
    have you been in prison in last last 3 months?
    Have you ever taken drugs with an unsterile needle?
    Have you been outside of Europe in the last year?
    Madam, are you pregnant?
    Have you lost weight? (Sadly I always have to answer 'no' on this one :p)
    Are you taking any particular drugs (aka Lariam, the anti malaria drug)
    Are you feeling healthy?
    Have you had a tattoo/piercing placed in the last 6 months?
    Do you have any chestpain, breathing difficulties etc?
    Have you had surgery in the last 6 months?
    Have you ever received blood?
    Are you on any meds?
    Have you had different sexual partners in the last 3 months?
    Have you spent longer than 3 months in England before 1989? (I think..)
    Etc.
    (I fill that in about every two weeks, I should know them all by now :lol:)

15. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Hmm, I got a similar question about visits in the UK. If I had spent more than 6 months in the UK between 1980-1996.

I cannot give blood as I have a chronic disease, which demands medicines. And becuase I have allergies. I talked to the agency about it, and asked if I maybe could give blood anyways. And gave them information about the medicines etc. But I am not allowed to donor blood. Which sucks