Grade "Dead Reckoning"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 14, 2009.

?

How would you grade Dead Reckoning?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. A

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. B+

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. B-

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Wolfe:D

Wolfe:D Victim

this episode was awesome :) i loved it when lindsay tackled that bee-yotch :)
    lol and the thing with the food, sid :p
    i cried at the end :)

2. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I actually find the concept of this episode to be very interesting, the idea that what was believed to be some massive crime spree ends up only being a red herring for one worker's incompetence is something that hasn't happened in the CSI franchise often, normally all we see is the team save the day and take down the bad guy, so it's nice to see that for once, all their big ideas of how the killer did this and that being shot down with the revealing that it was just one girl's mistake with product protocol that caused this. It just makes the team more human, not as infalliable as they seem to be.

However, as great as the concept of this episode is, some of their execution of this idea was quite flawed and sometimes seemed disjointed. And I'd much prefer if Mac doesn't go follow in the footsteps of Super Ray and Super H of NY's sister shows and become some omnipresent being who just happens to figure out everything by thinking. We already got enough of that going around with Super Ray and Super H solving everything by osmosis, though Horatio Caine's character has recently been toned down. Here's hoping that the original CSI will learn to tone it down Ray and that NY will learn not to make that same mistake with Mac.

I just think that this case was done too fast at the end, in the beginning they slowed it down to make sure things were logical and it just seemed like that they realize that somehow at the very end they ran out of time to logically run the case out and just decided to let Mac have some miraculous epiphany and solve the case all together. It would have worked out better had they balanced it more. It just seemed like a rush job.

More storyline-wise, the moment Flack froze was something to watch. While I do agree with Lindsay that Flack did froze and the lady with the knife could have killed him, I don't think she would have done it "easily" as Lindsay said. Sure she could have hurt him or possibly kill him, but I don't think it would have been that easily done. That was a bad choice of words for the writers in their dialogue, but Lindsay's sentiments and meaning wasn't wrong. And as for Lindsay tackling the lady, she had the element of surprise and subduing the woman would have been easy and not reckless but for Flack, reacting could have been dangerous as the woman would have seen it coming at her and reacted much more quickly than Lindsay tackling her from behind. Also, I think when Lindsay said that Flack could have been killed by the girl with the knife, she wasn't really wrong either. Yes the lady was small but she was also desperate to get away, and believe when I say that desperation can be a very powerful ad dangerous thing to be messed with. With all her rage and anger and desperation, she very well could have overpowered Flack or unsettled him enough to cause him harm. And especially with Flack in that state of mind second, trapped by his memories, guessing his every move, he would have reacted a second slower or hesitated in attacking back, and that moment's hesistation could have given the girl an opening. So in that sense, Lindsay was right in saying that Flack was in danger, as unlikely as a petite woman can overpower a man like Flack, desperation and rage could give her that sharp edge to kick Flack off his game. And let's not forget the quote "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", petite in size is hardly a good judgement of someone's true strength.

I remember someone on here said that Flack had done the same thing in "Snow Day" where he came to a stand-off with a guy with a machine gun, but he did end up having to shoot the guy in the end, that wasn't him freezing, that was Flack not wanting to pull the trigger unless he had to. Also, the look in Flack's eyes gave him away to the fact that he couldn't react, he was hesistating, second guessing himself, and really, he could have just as easily shot her in the leg or somewhere non-fatal to stop her and nobody would have batted an eye and it wouldn't be called murder, but the point is that Flack COULDN'T pull the trigger, even if he wanted to, something was holding him back, that's why they say that he froze. It wasn't a conscious effort on Flack's part to buy time or give the suspect a chance to not attack, it was Flack's mind stuck back in time and him not reacting or doing anything than just staring and point that gun.

As for the whole Danny situation, well everyone's already said it, it was just unrealistic, though the ending was rather cute, I just can't say harsh things about babies.:p

Despite some of the flaws in the storyline and writing though, our cast, both the main, supporting, and guest cast all did very well. Special highlight to Eddie Cahill, Anna Belknap, and Mia Kirshner. Once again, NY is saved by the great talents of its cast who played their parts perfectly, and as much as I don't like the newbie Haylen, the actress herself was decent enough to not wreck any scenes too badly.

But of course, the honors this time are very much given to Eddie, Anna, and Mia. Mia Kirshner's turn as the cold, calm, and unremorseful wife of the deceased cheating husband who killed her husband is quite chilling, her mannerisms were in perfect alignment with her beautiful and exquisite eyes. I just have to say, I adore Mia Kirshner, she plays the cold calculating types very well, there is something very chilling and dark about the way she can act. If you love her role in this episode, then you should check out her role as the most elusive assassin Mandy on 24, she's even more scarier on 24 than on here.

Out of all the main cast, it always seemed that Anna's dramatic scenes have always been lacking something that triggers people's feelings, but tonight, she brought her A game. That one ending scene was PERFECTLY delivered, she conveyed Lindsay's sheer happiness and joy in that one look AND her crying didn't look fake, it looked as real as anything!! I'm very proud of Anna in this episode, and in this season, she has certainly stepped up her game. Good for her!

And the man of the hour? Eddie Cahill of course! While this may not his tour-de-force episode, in every moment he's in the episode, he sutbly played the emotions just so perfect and right! Every little twitch, every movement, every word, every look in the eye all added together to make the most brilliant combination! There is no doubt in my mind that Eddie is just full of pure talent and it is so great that the writers have finally given Eddie the type of writing that is fitting for a actor of his acting caliber!! An actor doesn't have to break down in tears or hysterics to prove that he or she is some Oscar worthy actor, it is often the smaller moments, what some people may considered insignificant details, or moments of silent anger and grief that truly shows the mark of a brilliant actor! One look into Eddie Cahill's eyes and you know the roller-coasting emotions that are running through Flack's head right now, you can see the turmoil, the anger, the barely contained rage, and utter confusion and sadness at what his life has become. When an actor can make you feel that way, see into the soul of a character so clearly with just a simple look in the eye, that's when you know they've got true talent, and that's what Eddie showed! I've always said, one single look into an actor's eyes should be able to convey more meaning than thousands of pages of spoken dialogue. Eddie Cahill has really set the acting bar on NY! BRAVO EDDIE!!!

Overall, I'd say this episode would be around a B+ or an A-, there were a couple of storyline issues and mistakes, but given the powerhouse cast, the episode wasn't a complete and utter failure as it could have been if done by a lesser acting cast!:thumbsup:

3. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Okay I watched this episode last night and I have to say I really enjoyed it. There were quite a few issues with it, as many people have mentioned, but I tend to agree with a previous poster (on the DNA evidence thing) that it didn't seem at all like Mac was processing the scene, and it came across to me that Flack bought her back so that Mac could ask her questions in the apartment that might explain some of what they were seeing. Admittedly it's a little bit of belief suspension but overall I didn't feel it was that badly handled.

Danny and Lindsey. Well personally I don't subscribe to what people are saying about them in this particular episode. I like their chemistry and I personally don't feel it was pushed in my face. The scene at the end was a really touching scene...

Flack, well I also agree with what many people were saying, the woman with the knife was no threat to him at all. That didn't come across as even remotely up there with any kind of significant threat level he's usually exposed to. Nice to see Lindsey out in the field and tackling the bad (girl).

Nice photography and music in this episode too, I especially liked the sequences at the beginning...

Oh and Sid.. we love Sid.. Sometimes I think I only watch CSI:NY for Sid!

Yeah I liked it, felt much better then the previous episode. I didn't feel let down, although when I saw Mac looking at the lab tech, my first thought was... someone in the lab has contaminated the swabs.. but then that wouldn't make sense, because the matches are inter-state.

B+

4. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I enjoyed the episode, I liked the angry Hawkes with Danny a good and efficient kick in the uss ,maybe too efficient, I hope we're not gonna see Danny walking normaly next week:eek: stand up is one thing but walking is another one.

I missed Adam I'm still thinking this Haylen addition wasn't necessary. I still can't stand her and her voice is just too irritating.

I found the last scene touching Lindsay shows emotions and yeah Anna did it well - but the cherry on the top of the cake was Carmine's smile:drool::drool::drool:

I give a A for the smile

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

:lol:

it's just a shame sid wasn't there to explain all about the corn ;):lol:

i think this is what happened in epilogue as well - obviously in both cases there were actual killers, but this case showed them getting all worked up about the wives, the guy in the apartment, and going off down that route, only to find it was something relatively small that no one had even thought about (until mac stood on that spot!) - in epilogue, it showed them getting all worked up, to the point of obsession, over the idea of someone with a huge vendetta against one/all of them, and failing to realise that it might not be that, it might be something much more mundane (not that kids shooting places up for kicks is mundane, but you know what i mean). i wonder if it'll be a theme this season - they are infallible and sometimes the obvious doesn't quite get through to them, at least not until they've gone through all kinds of other more complex theories. i guess that would fit with flack's problems, stella being a bit cold, mac being more contained than we've seen him since s1, etc, that they're not superhuman and sometimes they miss things because they're so worked up about other possibiities and/or lost in their own worlds and not "using" (in a good sense, like bouncing off each other) each other as well as usual.

6. v*a*l*y

v*a*l*y Victim

I liked this episode and of course, the last scene was awesome
    I give an A :thumbsup:

7. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

Good point. There almost wasn't anything he could do to keep from freezing. I remember in 'Stealing Home', Stella had a similar reaction. The previous episode she had been forced to shoot her boyfriend, and it carried over. Luckily for her, she wasn't facing down a dangerous suspect with a knife, but instead was down at the shooting range for a GSR test. But the moment of hesitation was the same.

I'm not saying that Stella and Flack's situations are the same. After all, there's a difference between shooting your boyfriend in self-defense, and shooting your girlfriend's killer in cold blood. But after something like that, I imagine it's almost impossible to even handle a gun without remembering, much less having to shoot someone/something.

Stella got lucky because she wasn't facing down a suspect, and no one was there to witness the "freeze". But their reactions were very similar, and a nice bit of continuity.

Judging from the fact that no one knows why he froze, I'm guessing that no one knows that Flack shot the guy in cold blood. Except Danny, because he's the one who came after them. And based on his expression after Flack told him where the last perp was, I'm almost certain Danny knows. But he's not going to say anything. All of them have their secrets, and Danny isn't going to say anything unless Flack is in danger.

Maybe now that he knows that Flack is still haunted (I'm sure Lindsay told him) the truth will come out. And hopefully we'll actually get to see them in a scene together!

8. melgeo

melgeo Victim

As a dancer and movement analyst, the part that irritated me the most was that he was able to turn around to face Lindsay so easily while holding the baby. The shifts of weight involved in turning are complicated. He could barely move in a forward path the day before. And I wondered how he was able to work on stool while using his hands without falling over. If he's only able to bear weight in his upper body what is holding him up? Next week he'll be on the street tackling suspects again. I would have preferred him to be impotent and surly all season than this nonsense. At least it would have in character.

I know it's tv, but suspension of disbelief is not equivalent to brain dead. If everyone noticed it, it doesn't work. Don't tell me they couldn't afford to hire a PT on-set consultant. This is the show that hired a wheel chair bound actor in season one. I suppose it's more about moving the character forward than accuracy, but when the plots are so mind numbing, continuity is all I have to hope for. ::sigh:::

9. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

I bet next week we'll have a scene where Danny walks into the lab. One by one everyone will start to notice him. And one by one they'll all start to clap until the whole lab is full of cheers and applause. And this will all be done in slow motion.

10. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I've been thinking about Danny since the season started and I wonder if Carmine wants out of the show, because I can't wrap my head around what's going on and that would be the only explanation.

Why give him such a powerful and emotional storyline, only to drop it immediately afterwards? I know Danny has had some moments, but they felt like an afterthought, like the writers remembered that he was in the wheelchair and wrote some scenes to remind us, like "isn't Danny supposed to be doing therapy or something? shouldn't he had a scene where the audience sees that he's struggling?".

Unfortunately, those scenes have been scarce and have lacked enough impact and depth. Every time Danny has doubts about his recovery, a couple of encouraging words from his wife or his friends are enough to set him back on track. That's all. Yeah, characters change and is possible that the writers are trying to tell us that being shot immediately after becoming a father and losing someone close --at least close to his best friend-- is making Danny more reflective and less impulsive. More calmed and positive.

But if you change Danny's essence, there's really nothing left for the character, he's just a father and a husband now, which isn't particularly exciting. Even Carmine seems lacking something nowadays, and I think he's the best actor in the CSI franchise by far.

What I don't understand is why the writers decided to include the wheelchair story if they aren't following up. If this was supposed to be Flack season, why include another potentially rich storyline? Let Flack take the focus, Eddie has earned it.

Danny's storyline only makes me bang my head against the wall over and over and it's distracting me from enjoying Flack's storyline.

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

This.

The Flack story line is being portrayed well both in writing and acting and it's a damn shame the crap Danny story line and the crap cases have made me not even really give a damn how good the Flack story is. The cast (minus Anna Belknap) and the audience deserve better than what TPTB is giving them.

12. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I think the franchise in general just sucks at handling personal storylines dealing with physical injury. Flack had a hole blown into his chest in the S2 finale, and he wasn't even limping the next time we saw him; Eric on Miami was shot in the head in one ep, and was back to work in the very next ep (and aside from a few mentions of the memory-loss caused by the bullet fragment, not much time was spent on the injury or the trauma); the Miami storyline where Ryan got a nail through his eye was probably the only one that was handled even halfway realistically, and I'm not sure about that because I haven't seen many of the episodes for that storyline. All things considered, Danny's wheelchair-storyline may be the second-most realistic one.

And I'm not sure the NY show exactly planned on going the route of the wheelchair storyline. But they'd already promised by May that someone else's life was "drastically changed" by the shooting.

13. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Completely agreed, but NY writers have managed to make an exception with Danny, so I had high hopes based on how they did with his last big storyline in S4. If it had been let's say Lindsay or Hawkes in the wheelchair, it's probable that the storyline had been either wrapped pretty soon or extended over the season but with less focus. Danny has always been the show's most popular character --even those who aren't regular fans remember him the most--, so if you are planning a storyline that big for him is because you are aiming high, both for the actor and the audience. If you don't, it feels like a coitus interruptus. :p

BTW, Ryan's eye injury had a decent development and a pretty satisfying conclusion. Amazing, right? :lol:

And, you are right about the "dramatically changed". They killed vibrant, emotional Danny and gave us this dull version. Mission accomplished.

Edit:

Ok, it was "drastically changed", but the outcome is still the same. They killed Danny's spirit :(

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  14. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Perhaps, but the thing about the S4 storyline is that it was definitely planned, and planned specifically for Danny. I think when TPTB advertised a "drastic change" back in May, they were fully expecting one of the actors to walk. Then when it turned out that everyone was sticking around, they still had to follow up on that promise. So the wheelchair storyline really seems like a last-minute decision that wasn't planned specifically for any character -- especially with the way its been played out lately. I think they chose Danny, though, because Carmine is a great actor and it might've had the most dramatic impact for the show without putting either Mac or Stella in the chair. They probably would have been better off putting another character like Hawkes or Lindsay into the wheelchair, because it would have made more sense to wrap up the storyline more quickly with them; whereas with Danny it doesn't mesh with what we know of his character that he's dealing with the whole wheelchair thing so -- comparatively -- smoothly.

That I definitely agree with :shifty:

ETA:

LOL, okay now I have to check out those episodes. I've only seen the one where Ryan actually got injured, and the one where Alexx was chewing him out for not using the prescription she gave him.

15. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

-LOL at Sid's observations about corn.

- I thought for sure that Mr. Carter was going to end up being a transgender serial killer and that is why his wife killed him, and it would also explain the unknown female DNA. Maybe that will happen in a different episode. :lol:

- I really don't think Flack "froze". Seriously, there were too many people around for him to shoot the woman with the knife.

- I swear that Mac has to be partially psychic to figure out that the cotton swabs were tainted. I wonder how many cases that totally messed up.

- It's a miracle! Danny can walk!

- I loved Lucy's "I got Daddy!" smile.