Your Blood Type?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Oct 16, 2009.

?

What is Your Blood Type?

1. A+

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. A-

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. B+

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. B-

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. AB+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. AB-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 0+

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. 0-

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Yes, there is old one, but since it was created back in the old board, the poll wasn't working anymore. So let's do new one.

I am A+ and I knew that already before I started donating blood and I've done that now three times.

Do you donate blood?
    If you can for some reason, would you donate it if you could?

Do you have organ donor card?
    Are you registered as a possible bone marrow donor?

For the last two, I've been planning to get the card and bone marrow, they only have tests in south.

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

My blood type isn't on the poll because it's very rare. I'm either RH- or RH+...go figure my parents had one of each and the doctors aren't sure which I am yet.

I cannot donate blood because of having the rare type, sad I know. I really want to but get turned away every time.

I do have the organ donor sticker on my driver's license. My outlook on it is if it is my time to go someone else can use what I've been given. :)

3. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I'm O- which is universal donor unfortunatly I had and hepatite when I was 12 and can't donate blood

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i have no idea what blood type i am. i can't donate because of some of the medication i take long term. i would if i could, i think. i would also donate organs after i die (let's face it i won't need them!) but i doubt they could use many - my heart's been screwed since i was born and is full of plastic, my liver and kidneys have been messed around by aforementioned medication (i love that trade off: you can be sane but you'll get a broken body and permanently feel like crap...), my lungs are those of a 15-year heavy smoker, and the rest - well, if it works, they can have it. but i'd be surprised!

5. tootes

tootes Rookie

Im A+ (well atleast thats what my mum said she 'thinks' i am.. pretty sure she was a bit confussed about why i asked her tbf)

Ok, odd question coming up.. but does any one know if you can donate blood if you have Diabetes ? I've asked the doctor but he allways tells me to 'wait until im a bit older to ask again' Why i can't know the answer now i don't know.. :/

Anyhoo' thanks in advance to anyone who can help me x

As for having a donor card.. again don't know if i'd be able to get one, but if i could i deffinately would, if there are people dying who could be saved, then i want to do what i can to help them.

6. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I don't know what type I am but both my parents are O so i think im pretty sure i'm an O.

Although i'm not old enough to donate organs or give blood I plan to when I turn 18,and if something happens to me before then my family knows i'd like to donate my organs cause you never know:p

7. Ducky

Erm - what's the rare blood type? I thought everything falls under ABO, then there is subcategories and 30 different groups - rhesus is one of those
    And all people are either RH+ or RH-

As for diabetes, if you take medication for it, you cannot donate blood (because your safety) but if it's treated by diet, then it's ok

Wikipedia says this btw

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. 915

915 CSI Level One

I'm O- which means I'm universal donor, but I'm kinda afraid of needles so I haven't worked up the courage to actually donate blood yet. I want to though, but I am an organ donor cause that way somebody can get some use out of them even after I'm gone.

9. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

My mom is RH- and my dad was RH+ those are their blood types. They do not have any extra letters. RH can be a category by itself, hence why it is rare.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/blood/Rh_system.htm

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  10. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm A+. I've donated blood many times but I'm currently unable to due to being pregnant. I have an organ donor card and my family are aware that I'd like to donate my organs if such a choice needed to be made. I'm not on the list of bone marrow donors but have considered it in the past and looked at the possibility of doing it. I've also recently looked at donating cord blood after giving birth, but in the UK it is only offered by a small number of hospitals so it won't be possible.

11. Ducky

Erm.. that still didn't explain it. It told how what Rhesus is and how it is problem with pregnancies.

Like me being A+ means I am A Rhesus+
    So I can say I am Rh+

They are all own groups, just all about different antigens. Or rhesus is just subcategory for the ABO system. First they check your antigens (ABO), then rhesus (Rh, you have it or you don't)

ABO
    Rhesus
    Kell
    Duffy

I guess this explains it well
    http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/e13basic.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhesus_blood_group_system

12. Memifer

Memifer Victim

I've no idea what I am....but everyone is a letter either A, B, AB, or O

Then we have a rhesus satus (the + or - after the letter)

In pregnancy if one parent is Rh- and the other is Rh+ then because of the possibility of say the mother being Rh- and the baby being Rh+ then the mother will need injections to prevent rejecting this baby if there is a bleed, or other subsequent babies

Lesson over :)

13. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm A+. I haven't donated blood in years. I do have my organ donor card filled out though. In my opinion I think everyone should be required to fill out their organ donor card.

I am also confuzzled on the RH+ or RH- blood type. I always thought you had to belong in the ABO categories.

14. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Nice poll... even though seeing blood makes me sick, talking about it is okay :)

I'm 0+... I know my mom and my sister are both B+... guess I have at least something from my father then (along with some other things I don't like to admit :lol:)

I'm scared to death for needles and seeing blood makes me either pass out or sick :( That's one cause why I haven't donated any blood till now... I was once with a friend there though... but just seeing the equipment sent me right to the floor... I'm a sissy I know :(

15. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I'm fairly certain that I'm an A plus! I don't know about the RH + or -, though. I haven't donated blood yet because, although I can stand needles, I don't think I can stand a needle as large as is required for blood donation. Butterfly needles, though, I'm cool with those.

I'm an organ donor, though... because, heck, what do I need my organs for after I'm dead? Nothing, that's what. But someone out there might need my heart or kidney or eyeballs, etc, and they're welcome to them once I'm gone.