Grade "Lat 40 47'N/Long 73 58'W"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 7, 2009.

?

How would you grade Lat 40 47'N/Long 73 58'W?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. B

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

Danny: You see Lucy lately, huh? She's standing up in her crib, cruising around the apartment. She's gonna start walking soon, Lindsay.

Lindsay: Danny, please tell me you're not competing with our 10-month-old daughter.

You have to give it to the show, at least it's consistent.:rolleyes:

2. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

Third episode of the season, and much better than the first two. The case was easy to follow (considering we know who did it ;)).

I'm not familiar with Ulrich's other movies, but he was very convincing as the Compass killer. So far I like what I see, and am glad we're not done seeing him. The way his scenes are done suggest he's not entirely there, giving a slight boost to the 'creepy' factor.

Now, on to the team:

Mac: *sigh* I realize that the man takes his job seriously, but this sanctimonious, 'I must right every wrong', I am Superman attitude is starting to grate just a tad. And remind me again why exactly he hired Haylen? Okay, she's well qualified, but you've met her twice. Considering Mac's past with pushy people (Peyton, Drew Bedford, Ella McBride), don't you think he would do just a little more research before hiring someone?

Stella: Loved her scenes with Flack and the card player. They play off each other so well, attitude and attitude. Love it. Her comment about Don's stubble was the first sighting of 'Mother Hen Stella' we've seen since the shooting. It was nice, and almost seemed like she was prompting Mac to talk to Don. Still upset about the lack of interaction between her and Adam. Three episodes in and we still have had nothing with them after they decided to never do it again.

Flack: Stella's comment aside, I love new scruffy, casual Flack. It's a subtle way to say that everything isn't fine with him. Which is much better than showing him drinking with strange women in a bar. His exchange with Angell's dad was great, as was the scene where Flack is sitting outside their house. The flashback is one of my favourite F/A scene, and reminded me just how much chemistry the two of them had. If the spoilers are to be believed, it is the beginning of a downward spiral. And so far, the set is being done beautifully.

Danny and Lindsay: They've pretty much become one entity now, though I was happy about their scenes with other team members. Danny working out at the beginning was believable, as was his reasons for walking again. It's not just because he wants to walk again, he's doing this for Lucy too. The quip about chasing the boys away was classic Danny. But if he's chasing them away, how is he ever going to dance at her wedding? :)

Lindsay is continuing to surprise me this season. She's stepped up to the plate and instead of scolding Danny for working out because it may hinder his physical therapy, she accepts his reasoning, and lets him be. I don't know if it's being a new mom or what, but this is the best season she's ever had. :thumbsup:

Hawkes: His scene with Adam was priceless, and I love his comment of 'This is going to be good'. There's not much to say about Hawkes, he's consistently excellent in every episode. I may be wrong, but I could swear that those were Danny's glasses from season three or four. So that's who stole his glasses! Sheldon, give them back!! :lol:

Adam: His reaction when Hawkes told him Mac had hired Haylen was priceless! It was like 'oh crap, oh crap, freak out!'. The 'battle' with Haylen showed exactly how much Adam brings to the lab. There weren't many scenes for him this time around, but the awesomeness of each made up for it.

Sid: Yay, Sid's back! And not only back, had a part in the story besides explaining the autopsy findings. Sid, like Hawkes, is flawless in every episode, so nothing to comment on there. But wouldn't he know that the vic was a widow? Yeah, I know he's not part of the field team, but surely someone would mention that the vic lost her husband so finding someone to I.D. the body may prove difficult.

Haylen: Okay, episode one I was still on the fence with her. Her method of pointing out the print was a little bothersome, but I could let it go. Now however, she's full-blown annoying. She's not determined, she's extremely pushy, whiny, and just...words cannot describe. :scream: If your "dream" job isn't currently avalable for a legitimate reason like money, you don't find a way for the state to pay so you can still have it. (Tiny rant: the lab is part of the NYPD. So wouldn't Haylen's pay and the lab's budget come out of the same account?) All-in-all I agree with Adam "Evil, job-stealing blonde".

Okay, two tiny nitpicks because the obsessed nerd in me notices these things. In 'Pay Up' when Dunbrook gives Mac the paper with Jess's pic on the front, it says her birthday is in February. That didn't look like February in New York. But it made for a good scene with Flack and Angell Sr., so I'll let it go.

Lucy is ten months old?? :wtf: Um...if the episodes are in real time, 'Greater Good' took place two weeks before 'Pay Up'. 'Epilogue' was a month later. Now we're two weeks after that. So...at the most she should be around two months. *sigh* The Black Hole of Continuinty claims another Messer.

Overall, grade A. Can't wait for next week. :cool:

3. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Well crap! There goes my time jump theory. I forgot about the date on the newspaper. Oh well (throws hands up in air)

4. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

For further complication of the CSI time line!

Cliff (Jess's father) suggested it was her birthday they were getting together to celebrate and according to the coverage of her death last season she was born February 9, 1981. So apparently this episode takes place during the warmest February in the history of NY.

ETA: oops sorry for the info repost. I'm a little slow here I guess. ^_^

5. babygyrl

babygyrl Civilian

Here's another time jump theory buster: When Mac recieves the package with the second compass, the security screened date was 10/7. :rolleyes:

6. Wolverine_Eagle

Wolverine_Eagle Prime Suspect

I loved the episode... besides the whole confusion about the date etc. I actually enjoyed the D/L scenes tonight... especially with Danny "working out" and Flack's Scruffiness.... LOVE IT >.< and of course the case was 'thrilling' so i can't wait for them to continue the arc.

7. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

^My comment about the episodes being in "real-time" was a guess, but considering in the past seasons the episodes match the current real life season (give or take), it's a good assumption to make.

Good job catching the screen date babygirl!

8. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Argh :scream: Okay, Angell died on May 20, 2009 (so says the newspaper date in "Pay Up", which does match up with the security screen date that Mac saw in 6.03), so if the time-jump was between GfD and "Pay Up", that would mean "Grounds for Deception" took place in 2008, almost exactly a year from 6.03.

Does that match with everything we've seen?:confused:

9. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I don't think the writers think it's important for the show to be Timex-timeline perfect. It just bugs us fans that keep up with the details and are not going to swallow just anything they feed us as the audience.

And I guess it wouldn't be such a bone of contention if the jump wasn't such a huge leap. Aging children is not an uncommon occurance in televisionland but the fact that they made the effort to mention it and then referenced Haylen's last episode appearance as being a couple of weeks ago is just sloppy.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I too thought Lucy would be younger than ten months. Watch, by the end of the season she's going to be starting kindergarten. :lol:

"Danny please tell me you're not competing with our ten month old daughter." Hehe.

"I already read the first three resumes you sent me." - Mac
    Gosh Haylen is pushy. I really wanted to like her, but she's grating on my nerves. :lol: It's all she wanted to do since the neighbors poisoned her cat when she was a kid? Oops! She called Mac "sir". He doesn't like that. :lol:

Flack: Time to fold! :lol:

Suspect: I'm tickled sideways that the b*st*rd is dead. :lol:

I thought Jess' dad was named Victor or Vincent... at least thats what the casting call said for the season finale. Now his name is Cliff? Apparently Jess isn't the only Angell to go through a name change. :lol:

Hawkes: This is gonna be good. :lol:

Let me guess, the woman the killer is seeing is all in his head and someone who died years ago?

Adam: You haven't seen a hot, but evil job stealing blonde have you? :lol:

Does the fact that Adam mentions that she's hot mean he likes her? :lol:

Mostly I found the episode a bit boring. I gave it a C+ though because it had some cute/funny lines.

11. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

^ It also wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't give us exact dates to work with. The date Jess died, the screen date. Which, if they're to be believed, means that four months, not one, passed between the bar shooting and the shooters being caught.

That time jump I can allow for the sake of t.v., but Lucy is too much.

Okay, shutting up now and letting others post :lol:.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Forgot to mention that this episode's title is ridiculously long. :lol:

13. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Yeah; I guess that's why I figured Lindsay said "weeks" instead of months (I just watched the episode again, though, with closed-captions on and it's "months" :p; I guess I wasn't paying enough attention before). It's just weird, is all.

LOL; from now on I'm just referring to it as "Lat/Long". :)

Hm, am I really the only one who thought Haylen was mostly okay in this episode? :alienblush: I didn't see her as pushy so much as dead-set on getting the job (and it was kind of refreshing to see Mac get impatient, rather than indulgent with her at the crime scene -- even if he was indulgent later) and she didn't seem to be looking down on Adam or anything.

14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

BTW, did anybody else raise their hackles a bit at Hawkes calling Haylen a "hottie" and then Adam referring to her as "cute" (I believe he said cute)? When Hawkes brought her up, he was referring to a colleague, not some chick he saw at a club (and then Adam was referring to a colleague later on, of course) - maybe it's just me, but I wasn't at peace with that taste. It felt disrespectful IMO. I can't see Hawkes referring to Stella as a "hottie" - not if he values his family jewels, at least. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Or maybe they're just trying to remind us that Haylen is attractive and that her new colleagues will be waiting in line to jump her bones :rolleyes: - as if we need to be told such things after we've already seen D/L, Flack/Angell, Mac/Peyton, Adam/Stella, etc when we're watching CSI: No Uglies.

Anyway, I just think they could have described Haylen in better terms. (Such as 'Haylen' or perhaps 'that newbie what be after my jeorb', etc. There are plenty of ways to describe her without bringing her physical appearance into it.)

[/mini rant done] *le sigh* Sorry. As you were. :)

15. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Some serious time warp whiplash going on here :lol:

I guess "months" could also to help allay Danny's eventual miraculous recovery and Flack's Chronic Screw Ups. :p

So. Stella & Monroe had pen pals (and it was mebbe a fun nod to Melina to have Stella's residing in Ohio), while Mac continues to have a villainous fan club. More criminals sending him clues in the post, helpful and considerate that they are, just in case the CSI's aren't capable of collecting them at the scene. Or mebbe he forgot to leave the one, and wanted to make sure they got it. Better late than never and all. I'm glossing to make a point. I suppose the fact that there was a scene of the perp asking "do you know where to find me, do you even know where to look" means it's really all about his disfunction and is not truly about Mac; later Stella also summarized that the compass had been send to "them," the labs, as opposed to Mac, that may also suggest its not gonna be another Mac/Perp Match Made In Heaven. ...One can live in hope. Cos I really really hope.

Onto eppie proper. Just skimming.

The opening sequence was hugely visually impressive, from the overheads to the apartment to the crime scene. I was already liking this show better than last week by the time the first commercials hit. Continued in the processing montages after the break too. Nice. Later also noticed a nice contrast between a manic ambience with the serial vs the crime scene and ongoing processing.

Immediately noticed a suddenly stubbly Flack, and later conversely that Messer's beard had thinned out. Those clever wardrobe and make up people :p, letting us know Flack's sliding while Messer's got new determination and fire. and yah, no stretch of the imagination to suspect possible DLL foreshadowing, Messer & Lucy taking steps together :rolleyes::lol: Perhaps that Uplifting Element hinted at way back when. Hoo. Ah. So original. But. Not a bad DL scene all the same, ya know, if we really gotta keep having 'em atall. Sigh. It may be I've developed a certain tolerance due repeated and prolonged exposure, but I'm sure it's taking a toll somehow. Their other more casual exchanges were worse.

Yay Sid returns. :bolian:

Mixed feelings on Haylen. Doesnt' matter if I like her or not. Hoping she's gonna be good for the show. Undecided on both points still. Her first appearance: The "all you have to do" grated. She's not necessarily out of line, but she is vaguely irksome. Nobody "has to do" anything, but her oh so overwhelmingly charismatic and personable approach to matters has been oh so duly noted... :shifty::p. I'll come back to her inna bit.

After the 3 card monte chase, we got a decent suspect and a grumpy Flack and a sharp Stella. Upon opening his mail later Mac was mad fierce scowling too :lol:. ...Wierd vibes man. Weird :lol:. The episode had become a little disjointed, and I was waiting on it to knit itself into gear proper once the case was underway. It did seem to take awhile.

I noticed for the longest time that Sheldon seemed to be the only one actually doing any lab work, and thought at the time at least he'd be happy to see Haylen, if no one else was. (Gee, no, Adam wasn't a deliberate non-presence early in the ep for any particular reason at all). Oh right. Monroe was there too. She did a lot of purposeful frowning in this episode. It's an expression she seems to feel is useful in conveying many and varied things in many varied situations :lol:. Apparently it never gets old. Whaddaya do. I guess it's also That Look, the one Messer was teasing her about :lol: Many and varied things, at least to her. "...I do not think it means, what you think it means..." :p Sorry. Late. Tired.

Was a really great scene with Cliff Angell and Flack in the precinct. It's the kind of scene I was hoping we'd get, and I'll thank the writers for that. Flack had a great episode and Eddie was solid, as always.

Mac and Hawkes had another fun sequence, if short; regarding the first compass with the marred engraving "guess he didn't want us to find out" / "...no. But I wouldn't let that stop you..." And then of course Hawkes was left to his own, again, to do the processing :lol:. Better sequences for that too this week. And yet, quickly becoming a pet peeve, still moments of pairing sound fx to camera cuts especially leading to breaks. Hugely freakin annoying.

Back to Adam. He was a noticeably late entrant into the hour, and seemed to be brought in only because Mac, in a head tilt wha?, signed Becalls's grant and brought her into the labs unnanounced. I might be mildly appeased by the stipulation Haylen's only there part-time/twice a month. That, and, while it's still huuuuuuugely predictable in the dynamic they're setting up, AJ plays his part in the matter so damned well it's hard to begrudge. Adam got some great lines and fun moments, but, bestill my heart, so did Sheldon :lol: Crime Scene Hottie? Sheldon? Really? :lol: I dunno if he said that just to poke at Adam, cos it surely isn't a way he generally refers to his NYPD colleagues. If it's a way to set up Haylen as not being given proper respect so she can then show off her own awesomosities, then so much the worse. :shifty: Unsure what to make of that. I prefer to hope it was part of poking Adam.

Better bit was "...this is gonna be good." :p I could live with Haylen around for awhile, not to see her, but to see the others responding to the circumstances. Which is really partly the point of having her here at all. An iron sigh and refusal to ponder her potential backstory and whatnot, for now I'll just enjoy the scene between the Sheldon and Adam, which was the best part of her being in the show tonight.

The bit processing the compass-by-post with Mac, Adam & Haylen tho, well :shifty::p. After establishing a huge area of ground to cover in the city, south to north, looking for the next possible victim, Flack & Co are sent to pound the pavement. Meanwhile, the others return to science, and within 90 seconds (but time is relative in NY...) know exactly where to look. Like cheating on a scavenger hunt or something. They could have saved the NYPD untold man-hours if they'd only waited a minute or two. :p I mean, if they're being budget conscious and all. Compass. Filmy surface. Mass spec. Latin thingy translation. Closed display. And it's just. that. simple, folks. See what happens when your villains care enough to send the very best.

More impressive visuals and moodiness leading to finding victim no. 2, and in processing. Odd that Flack was ducking out on a scene, he's not done that before. We find out he's hoofing it to head to Cliff's place, which I was happy to see followed up on in the hour, I thought the earlier scene mighta been it. And yes, while Stella commented to Mac this week about Don, whereas Mac had commented last week but directly to him, you'd think one or both of them might also have clued in that it was Jess' birthday. Well. Except for the fact the show regards that sort of thing as ...Fluid. :p

Was another great bit for Don sitting outside, and another nice inclusion of a past episode material. It's nice to see it being used and that it's not all just ephemeral weekly. Clueing in are we. My thanks and appreciation, writers.

I will admit that as soon as we had another late-nite Mac in his office scene, I was thinking here we go, another envelope waiting right? No, but a message from ...Sid? Wow. Uh oh. He said "I'm Sorry..." like the notes - quick run run run down to autopsy not Sid noooooooOooo - oh good. He's fine. :p. I wuz worried. I was. He's been beaned down there before :lol:

But there was left a compass that was literally unfixed, unlike the others, symbolically un-glued, if you will. And so that's where we're left hanging, as fog machines billowed nicely in the lighting and the perp vanished therein. Some curious hmms in all the retro related materials, including asbestos no less. But no real momentum, not to me, beyond knowing the apparently disturbed and troubled killer "has work to do." Kind of an ambiguous and wandering villain and storyline for one who provides direction. :p

Well. Was a better show than last week. I was far more drawn in by the visual style, especially in the beginning and was very happy to see it continue thru the whole hour. Was a good looking episode and the sound was better too. We had Sid. Yay. We had Sheldon looking very good in his glasses. (Danny who? :p Messer, if Sheldon gets to keep his I won't poke you so much about yours missing anymore :lol:) It was an uncapped ep, no pressure built up, just kind of open, felt a little aimless instead of driven. It's not one that will have me wondering about the second and third installments really. The killer's a little to random to feel ominous (whereas sometimes random would actually increase that, here, not really). Puzzling. Not menacing somehow. Creepy? Yes, at the end, kinda :lol:

A half step from a C average in terms of the case, a whole step for character elements and bits of humor. A demi shuffle back for some cheezy lines and predictable scenes. So I guess that makes it an odd dance of some sort. :lol: Call it a C+ to B-. Meh. Alright. B-. Reluctantly. Visuals and style and a few bits and pieces rest kicked it up. Getting better. Hope it continues. Waiting for an ep to really put it all together.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009