The International Thread

Where In The World Are You?

• Total voters
Actually, there is a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet that symbolizes the "sh-ch" sound heard in the word "barszcz." That writing system isn't used in Polish though. I'm studying to speak Russian as a little thing to do. :)

Last edited:
IrinaAthena, I understand you're talking about writing in Cyrillic alphabet?

Ironically? This writing system is not in use in Czech Republic, Slovakia, and other Slavic countries like in Balkans (Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia etc.). It's still the same group of languages with Russian or Ukrainian.

Difference between alphabets come out from the religion - Poland is Roman Catholic country so we have Latin alphabet, Russia is Orthodox - that's the reason they have Cyrillic one. Here's no irony, only very long history (please, I don't want to talk about history... I forget almost all about Great Schism:p).

Actually, there is a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet that symbolizes the "sh-ch" sound heard in the word "barszcz." Ironically, that writing system isn't used in Polish. I'm studying to speak Russian as a little thing to do
me too! it's the upside down 'm' with a little tail on a right, as far as i remember :D

Ironically
yeah, it's more of a historical issue, just like Deirdre said. Russians basically wanted to 'russian-ize' Poles for decades, and for us it's also a matter of our own independency to write everything in our own alphabet. it's quite a delicate subject, really :)

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the little bits of explanation about that ;). And the "sh-ch" symbol does look exactly like what Azdix described it as.

Edit: I almost forgot. Does anyone celebrate St. Nicholas Day? It's been a tradition in my family and I was just wondering. :)

Last edited:
I am sorrry but borsch (borssi in Finnish) has caused some nightmares to me :p I guess it wasn't too well prepaired :(

Hi!
It's been a while since I last posted. How are you all? I'm one of the Spaniards.

Btw, season 4 finished yesterday in Spain. I can't wait for season 5 to start, but it will take a long time since that.

Cheers!

May i say something? Ther is not such a thing as North American or South America

Yes, we refer to ourselves in that way to distiguish where we were born

but the continent is just one: American Continent ;)

Also the right continent is Oceania, not Australasia (which is used too). Oceania includes everything: Australia, N. Zeland, nearby islands, Polinesia, Micronesia and Macronesia islands

Usually Australasia is used as a term to refer to a region with characteristics in common (as animals or vegetation). That region includes Australia and New Zeland because they are different to everywhere else

Debbs :)

First post in this thread.
I'm not new here.....LOL:lol:

I browsed through this thread.........Its cute:p whoever put me on the
Canadian list. And yes, If you ask me I will deny it. Go Make Beliefs!

Its really awsome to see so many international folk here. So many from U.K, Canada and U.S. smaller pockets of others.

I actually have Eastern European background, and I speak 4 different
languages. I can understand others too, so if you spoke in your language I
can understand you. Seriosly. I am planning on learning more languages,
since its very helpful, especially with my future job.

May i say something? Ther is not such a thing as North American or South America

Also the right continent is Oceania, not Australasia (which is used too). Oceania includes everything: Australia, N. Zeland, nearby islands, Polinesia, Micronesia and Macronesia islands

Usually Australasia is used as a term to refer to a region with characteristics in common (as animals or vegetation). That region includes Australia and New Zeland because they are different to everywhere else

I've probably never heard of term Australasia, but Oceania I have :)

I guess the poll shouldn't be taken too seriously, I guess giving "two" Americas it gives more options and better picture where people are from.

But let this be new info for those, who didn't know this :D

I've probably never heard of term Australasia, but Oceania I have :)

Me too, DaWacko. I think we're using in Europe Australia and Oceania. I even checked with my book to be sure 'cause I really have never heard Australasia (but probably it won't sound good in Polish and this can be a reason for not using it here):)

Wow, maybe this thread again will be alive:D

In my schooling we were taught that there was North America and South America. Two distinct continents. According to Wikipedia, yes I know :) North America and South America are listed as two different continents. The land mass maybe one huge continuous form called Americas but to make it easier since the US is sometimes referred to as America it's called North and South.

I think the same can be applied to Australia and Oceania. Australia is part of Oceania but for whatever reasons it referred to as Australia.

There ends my geography lesson for the morning :)

waffle-1.jpg
:devil:

Woot,Liesbetje! You have no idea how long I've been under 'Belgium' alone :p
Glad you found your way to Misc. :cool:

^^ Now that is not nice to show someone who hasn't had breakfast yet :lol: I remember having Belgium Waffles when I was there in 1978. Oh man were they good :)

Back