The International Thread

Where In The World Are You?

• Total voters
Hello. I see people from Poland :]

I'm not good at english, so i can do a lot mistakes. But Deirdre invite me to this topic. So here I am :p

Adzix niezły avatarek :D

Welcome Anagda! Witaj! It's really good to see you here! I hope you won't be shy and write a lot here;) Nobody cares about mistakes...

Wow, four Polish girls:devil:

Great to see you Anagda and don't worry about your English you can always ask for help :)
Deirdre, do you have some more friends to invite here? Maybe we could beat the Brits :lol:

Oh, I must ask you one thing DaWacko. I just love Finnish scrumble eggs. Polish is salty, but this dish which I ate in Finland was... sweet. And I can't make it in home. I want to know this secret. It's not only about sugar 'cause even consistency is different - Finnish scrumble eggs are thicker than Polish.

Hmm... scrumbled eggs should be salta... of course there's lots of different ways to make those.

Well, I must admit than apart from dumplings and pancakes I’m not fond of traditional Polish cuisine – it’s all about meat and fat and I hate it :lol:

Well, BIGOS is probably the best known Polish dish but I guess that BARSZCZ is equally important :) In English it’s borsch or borscht and it’s essentially made from beetroot, but often some other ingredients are added. During Christmas Eve feast, barszcz is often the first course and it’s served with USZKA (English translation: little ears :lol:) those are small dumplings with mushroom or sauerkraut filling. Btw, bigos is also eaten during Christmas but as there’s meat in it, it’s usually the Second Day.

Thought some pictures would be nice:

bigos:

bigos.jpg

and barszcz with uszka :):

barszcz.jpg

Well, unfortunately we have also FLACZKI (tripe), it’s a kind of soup with…. hmm, certain elements from animals’ stomachs (yuk!) I’ll spare you the picture :p

VODKA is not a dish, but I feel it needs to be mentioned :thumbsup:

hmm...animal stomachs...anything particular? in the Philippines we make sure that every part of an animal is well consumed (yes, even the chicken's butt can be eaten!). we inherited the dishes from the spanish friars during the spanish colonization.

One of the most noted dish is called "Sisig" - whole pig's face / head, minced, seasoned, fried to crisp (or not, depends on our taste), served on a sizzling plate with raw egg, or mayonaise, or just vinegar with soy sauce. just go through on-line cookbooks on how the dish looks like.

friendly warning though: don't eat too much if you're prone to high blood pressures or heartburn. this has to be eaten moderately.

Oh, I must ask you one thing DaWacko. I just love Finnish scrumble eggs. Polish is salty, but this dish which I ate in Finland was... sweet. And I can't make it in home. I want to know this secret. It's not only about sugar 'cause even consistency is different - Finnish scrumble eggs are thicker than Polish.

Hmm... scrumbled eggs should be salta... of course there's lots of different ways to make those.

In Poland they're salty... I want to know those sweeter kinds. Everytime when I was in Finland I took scrumbled eggs cause were so delicious. Many different ways? I want know them...

Lol, sorry DaWacko, the most easier way will be go to Finland again:lol: But not this year... It's sad, I miss Finland and Norway. Must be back there next year.

I live in the US, but my dad's side is Polish and Ukrainian, so for holidays, we eat a lot of the foods mentioned.

Pierogi- For Christmas Eve dinner, we make potato and cheese, cabbage, mushroom, and leckvar (sp?) pierogies. In fact, we have a day a few weeks before then called "Pierogi Day" where the family gets together just for cooking them. :lol:

Fried fish- Again, our Babo makes this for Christmas Eve. I think she uses haddock.

Halupki- I absolutely love halupki. It's a cabbage casserole filled with pork and rice in tomato sauce. My Babo makes this all the time.

Kielbasa- Just sliced sausage. It's always good with paska bread (from potatoes.) More of an Easter thing.

Halushki- Never tried it. Basically, it's noodles with sauerkraut, similar to beef stroganoff.

Potato pancakes- Hashbrowns.

I also recently tried sbiten', a pretty spicy Russian drink for the winter. It's... spicy. I found another recipe where chili peppers were optional. :wtf:

Anyways, I just felt like popping in with some other traditional Polish dishes. Yum!

talkinf about food
does anyone know Borsch (no idea how to spell it)
-> http://www.cookuk.co.uk/ethnic/russian/borsch.htm
well there are a lot ways to cook it never tastes the same

I also don't know how to say it in English. In Polish is barszcz and it was mentioned somewhere. This one with "ears":lol: We have here two kinds - red and white. My favourite is white with slices of sausage and eggs.

Hi IrinaAthena! Another fan of dumplings (pierogi) I see:D

'barszcz' sounds like 'bar-sh-ch' where 'ch' is prounounced as in 'choke'. in English you spell it 'borscht' :)

and also borscht - at least just the beetroot soup with selfmade tortellini - is delicious for christmas :)

Tortellini in this soup are "uszka" (little ears). I think no one in Poland call them from Italian. I don't know how it is in other houses but my grandma always makes "uszka" with cabbage and mushrooms inside. So they are smaller version of pierogi.

but you said dumplings - pierogi you mean this right? http://www.elwu.republika.pl/szablony/elwu/pierogi.jpg

Polish ones, right. I wrote about other kinds two pages ago.

yeah pierogi is something else, i meant pilmeni - with meat - thats why i called them tortellini, we eat that on christmas eve

and pierogi and wareniki (sweet pierogi) - i know that without meat - maybe i'm just confusing something

i was born in ukraine and my dad is from armenia, and i love russian and armenian plates

Back