Zuiker 'Tiptoes' Away From 'CSI'

CSI Files

Captain
The <I>CSI</I> franchise has taken a back seat as creator <font color=yellow>Anthony Zuiker</font> works on new projects.<p>With his first "Digi-Novel", <I>Level 26: Dark Origins</I>, coming out September 8, Zuiker is concentrating on new ventures and leaving the forensic drama he created in capable hands. "I've been on the <I>CSI</I> franchise for almost a decade," he explained to <A class="link" HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/index.jsp">The Hollywood Reporter</a>. "So, I've tiptoed off. I still have a toe in the water."<p>"I am developing new shows now, so that's my top priority," Zuiker continued. "I talk to the showrunners almost every day. I read the scripts, I give feedback, but for the most part the showrunners are so autonomous that they keep the shows up and running. On the major decisions, I'm involved but without discrediting all the work of the showrunners and the other producers; they're the ones doing the heavy lifting." Right now, the showrunners for all three series are "working on a unified story line," Zuiker shared. As CSI Files previously <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/070809_01.shtml">reported</a>, the franchise will have it's first three-series crossover during the upcoming season.<p>Zuiker is not planning to add a fourth series to the hit franchise. "I think we're done," he said. "In terms of just doing the same formula but picking a fourth city, I think that wouldn't be the wisest choice. We're always trying to find different ways to kill people every week on our shows, so to have another show battling ways to kill people with the same formula would be irresponsible."<p>Two members of the franchise, <I>CSI: Miami</I> and <I>CSI: New York</I>, will go up against <font color=yellow>Jay Leno</font>'s new primetime series starting this fall. "Jay Leno is great," Zuiker said. "Do I love the fact that he's five days a week and five slots have been taken away from television? I understand why NBC would do it, but I don't necessarily agree personally. I think that five creators like myself have five great shows, and now five great slots have been gobbled up by one slot. I'm not so fearful of NBC doing that, I'm more fearful of CBS doing that."<p>Flagship series <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> won't be going up against Leno this season, but the show has struggled a bit with the loss of leading man <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> (Gil Grissom) and the addition of newcomer <font color=yellow>Laurence Fishburne</font> (Dr Ray Langston). "Well, William Petersen is a very tough loss, but the show must go on, so to speak," Zuiker explained. "Obviously, great shows have survived, like <I>ER</I> after <font color=yellow>George Clooney</font>, which went on to be a great success. But I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."<p>The original interview is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/features/interviews_profiles/e3i7495acaf0e8bd0e48b9ae9c87ba2f8df">The Hollywood Reporter</a>.<center></center>

Can't blame the man for branching out to new and different things after so long with the franchise - especially since there are plenty of people who are keeping all three CSI shows running smoothly. :)

"...I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."
As much as I think it's cool that they got a big name actor like Fishburne to join the show, I kind of wish they'd cast a nobody for the role. Then they would probably adjust by giving him less to do and putting him as second fiddle in scenes with the others until the character was established - rather than having to really focus on him more when the audience is still trying to suss him out.

.I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."]

To me this shows how Zuiker has no respect for the other cast members.

.I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."]

Or their fans.

Amen to that! So much for Marg, George, Eric, Paul, and Robert who have been there since the beginning. Nice way to say, 'Hey, we appreciate you're work, but you don't have what it takes to keep the show going. Don't expect your contracts to be renewed.' :rolleyes:

Let's see, Catherine is the supervisor and we hardly see her (though that could be Marg asking for less screen time), now they're making Nick a supervisor so I guess that means he'll disappear into that black hole. Only Paul, Eric and Robert left to go.

The <I>CSI</I> franchise has taken a back seat as creator <font color=yellow>Anthony Zuiker</font> works on new projects.<p>With his first "Digi-Novel", <I>Level 26: Dark Origins</I>, coming out September 8, Zuiker is concentrating on new ventures and leaving the forensic drama he created in capable hands. "I've been on the <I>CSI</I> franchise for almost a decade," he explained to <A class="link" HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/index.jsp">The Hollywood Reporter</a>. "So, I've tiptoed off. I still have a toe in the water."<p>"I am developing new shows now, so that's my top priority," Zuiker continued. "I talk to the showrunners almost every day. I read the scripts, I give feedback, but for the most part the showrunners are so autonomous that they keep the shows up and running. On the major decisions, I'm involved but without discrediting all the work of the showrunners and the other producers; they're the ones doing the heavy lifting." Right now, the showrunners for all three series are "working on a unified story line," Zuiker shared. As CSI Files previously <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/070809_01.shtml">reported</a>, the franchise will have it's first three-series crossover during the upcoming season.<p>Zuiker is not planning to add a fourth series to the hit franchise. "I think we're done," he said. "In terms of just doing the same formula but picking a fourth city, I think that wouldn't be the wisest choice. We're always trying to find different ways to kill people every week on our shows, so to have another show battling ways to kill people with the same formula would be irresponsible."<p>Two members of the franchise, <I>CSI: Miami</I> and <I>CSI: New York</I>, will go up against <font color=yellow>Jay Leno</font>'s new primetime series starting this fall. "Jay Leno is great," Zuiker said. "Do I love the fact that he's five days a week and five slots have been taken away from television? I understand why NBC would do it, but I don't necessarily agree personally. I think that five creators like myself have five great shows, and now five great slots have been gobbled up by one slot. I'm not so fearful of NBC doing that, I'm more fearful of CBS doing that."<p>Flagship series <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> won't be going up against Leno this season, but the show has struggled a bit with the loss of leading man <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> (Gil Grissom) and the addition of newcomer <font color=yellow>Laurence Fishburne</font> (Dr Ray Langston). "Well, William Petersen is a very tough loss, but the show must go on, so to speak," Zuiker explained. "Obviously, great shows have survived, like <I>ER</I> after <font color=yellow>George Clooney</font>, which went on to be a great success. But I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."<p>The original interview is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/features/interviews_profiles/e3i7495acaf0e8bd0e48b9ae9c87ba2f8df">The Hollywood Reporter</a>.<center></center>

Can't blame the man for branching out to new and different things after so long with the franchise - especially since there are plenty of people who are keeping all three CSI shows running smoothly. :)

"...I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."
As much as I think it's cool that they got a big name actor like Fishburne to join the show, I kind of wish they'd cast a nobody for the role. Then they would probably adjust by giving him less to do and putting him as second fiddle in scenes with the others until the character was established - rather than having to really focus on him more when the audience is still trying to suss him out.

Or their fans.

Or their fans.

Amen to that! So much for Marg, George, Eric, Paul, and Robert who have been there since the beginning. Nice way to say, 'Hey, we appreciate you're work, but you don't have what it takes to keep the show going. Don't expect your contracts to be renewed.' :rolleyes:

Let's see, Catherine is the supervisor and we hardly see her (though that could be Marg asking for less screen time), now they're making Nick a supervisor so I guess that means he'll disappear into that black hole. Only Paul, Eric and Robert left to go.

honestly they either have no respect for nick, greg:adore:, al, brass or anyone zuiker and tptb are all wrapped up in their new toy(fish):brickwall::angryrazz: and have compltetly forgotten the others don't even exist:(
marg i don't think we see enough of her:( b/c she's getting a divorce and then fish of course:brickwall::angryrazz:

the next thing ya know all of the original cast(or whatever is left soon) will honest to god get fed up and leave

apparently any of these comments we make don't work or their deaf and blind or they don't care about what we the fans and fanatics think
so how are we supposed to send the message b/c at this point i think by the time they see how we feel it's going to be too late to get the message to their giant/thick skulls

Last edited:
CSI:

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching [removed link] ,each episode is always new and fresh. Each character in [removed link] is very well developed,each character's background and current issues are presented in a dramatic way.great scripts, great plots' great murders, great charactors and great crimes . I am really addicted to this show........

Last edited by a moderator:
Back