"Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 15, 2008.

1. forza juve

forza juve Hit and Run

I loved the pairing of Hodges and Nick in this episode. I know some people say it would have been better if it had been Nick and Warrick having a laugh. I actualy thought those scenes were better because it was Hodges and Nick. You would never expect these two to have a laugh together. It made it all the funnier.

Do americans really do this thing called mailbox baseball?

2. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

I'm afraid we really do play mailbox baseball. I live in a semi-rural area, with a lot of individal mailboxes. Friday, I was out driving and noticed that the mailboxes were all set back from the road edge a good 3-4 feet, which would make mailbox baseball hard to play.:)

Sometimes it's hard to figure out the title but this week was an easy one for me: "Woulda" refers to Natalie, who would have committed suicide if Grissom hadn't found the miniature; "Coulda" refers to the farmer who had so many other options to protect his mailbox; "Shoulda" refers to the p.i.'s daughter, who should have handed over the gun once the police showed up.

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I take the title in a broader sense, I think. Each plot had a series of circumstances that resulted in tragedy because of the choices that were made. WCS to me means that they are second-guessing themselves about the choices they made, and if they had done things differently, the outcome may not have been so tragic.
    In the mailbox case, he clearly didn't realize that his choice of putting cement in the mailbox would result in death. So he shoulda done something different.
    In the 2nd case, the daughter should not have been following the guy who killed her father and then gone to his house with a gun, that ultimately ended in the death of 2 people, actually 3 if you count her.
    And in the Natalie plot, Grissom may be thinking that he shoulda solved the MK case sooner so Sara wouldn't be abducted and, thereby changing their lives forever; or he, plain and simple, shoulda gone with Sara when she left the second time. The "not making a decision was a decision' thing.
    The somewhat of a cliffhanger in the end was very unsatisfying to me, like in LOAtR. This is Grissom's final arc; I would like more answers than questions at this stage.

4. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

jtd94- I agree with your title explanation.

I think the cliffhanger ending was only to let us know that Natalie is not cured, she is still the crazy psychopath we know and love. LOL Whether or not they revisit her suicide plan is another story, will we even know the outcome. Will Grissom (as out of character as it might be) not say anything and let her do it, then feel so guilty that he questions his job and his life/morality? Maybe it helps lead to his departure.

5. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

What does LOAtR stand for?

Lol. Sad but true. I think it's more of a rural thing though. I'm American and grew up in an urban area. People, especially bored, distractable teens (to paraphrase Nick) generally took out their anger and boredom through violence against other people, rather than against mailboxes, as well as through drugs and gangs and stuff. Plus, our mail is dropped through the door slots.

Also, I have to say that I can't quite imagine Warrick being on that case with Nick, even if he was alive. It seemed like an angle that required a jock-type and a nerd-type -- one person who grew up playing mailbox baseball and another who grew up messing around with beryllium iodide. I love Nick and Warrick, but I can't imagine them doing the latter as teens. I thought Greg would have been the more logical "geek" counterpart, more so than Hodges. Greg's the chemist -- hence the chemical compounds -- plus he was a child prodigy. Also, as sad as it is, I just didn't imagine Hodges having a 'best friend' as a teen. He's in a lab full of fellow science nerds, and he still manages to piss everyone off, so I really doubt how well he would have done in the friends department as a teen. And I don't mean to pick on Hodges or offend Hodges fans in any way; it just seems like this would be the case.

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Leave Out All the Rest, it was the 905 episode. ;)

7. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

As a several-times victim of mailbox bashing, I hate that Nick, who is supposed be upholding the law, took pleasure in it. I empathized with the mailbox owner, although I don't agree with what he did.

8. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Agree with your first statement. I also agree with the last statement of the reviewer (article, to the right), Kristine Huntley, who said Jackmin should have the right to do what he wants on his property; the boys took their chances when they set out to vandalize his mailbox. I think, technically, your mailbox isn't really yours; it "belongs" to the US Postal Service in terms of what you can and can't do with it. Perhaps Jackmin should be charged with defacing federal property and fined appropriately?

9. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I disagree with you two. I don't see Nick took the pleasure to see the guy get under arrest. Nick said, he charge him, neglient, not homicide. The guy neglient to called the cop that night, but I don't think the guy will go to jail for homicide, because he didn't do it. When the guy hit the mail box and broke his arm and the guy hit the driver then hit the tree that killed them instantly. The Judge will make the guy paid the fine and that's it. I do agree one thing, Mail box belong to the Post Office and it federal to hit the mail box.

10. Misscrankypants

Misscrankypants Hit and Run

Cathrine's over the sholder "recess is over" is one of the coolest lines ever

Upon rewatching I noticed the speed limit sign at the said 25 mph. In the styx? Because here in MI if your not in a suburb or downtown the min is usally like 35. Do they really expect people to drive that slow?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  11. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

It's 25 because the guys property is on a hairpin curve (one of the shots showed the curve) Given it's NV, I'd guess it's at least 50 once out of the curve.