Worried about a friend.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I need some help with a friend of mine. I go to a small private school for people with aspergers syndrome. One of my good friends recently has been worring me, the other day he said he doesn't like the coca-cola company because they don't put cocaine in coke anymore. He's actually said a lot recently that when he's older he wants to do drugs, and to some extent thinks nothing will happen to him. To make matters worse his parents say, they'd support him if he did drugs even though they wouldn't agree with his decision. I am suspecting that he is dead serious, and no body except for me and another friend do or say anything to discourge this behavior. I really don't want him to become a drug addict or die young. Any advice about what me and my friends should do.

2. lantiscod

lantiscod Pathologist

Have you ever asked him why he wanna be a drug addict? If he anwsers, the reason would lead you both to a deep talk, then you might figure what he really wanna do...with drug?

3. SidLer

SidLer Coroner

I'm sorry to hear that needmorecsi. You and your friends can try to engage in a heart-to-heart conversation with him. Try to find out why he feels the need to do drugs, and if there is an underlying reason why he feels that way. If the situation is taking an emotional toll on you, confide in an adult whom you do trust, like your favorite teacher or an acquaintance. But most importantly, be there for him and don't shun him. He needs you. Hope that helps. :)

4. Calihan

Calihan Captain

He says he wants to do drugs because he's going to be a famous musican, and other musicans have done drugs. No one says to him how drugs can screwq with you're body, and no one tells hime the slim chance of him ever becoming famous.

5. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

With a morbid sense of humour I'd tell him tha the has to be a famous musician before he did drugs, you can't do them if you don't become a famous musician. But on a more serious side...

There are loads of famous musicians who do not do drugs. Why on earth would his parents say "we'll support you financially if you're going to pee away all your money on drugs, even though we think what you're doing is dead wrong, but you're our son and we're your doting parents."

Maybe you have to be a little cruel to be kind? Tell him that the chances of him ever becoming famous are slim to nil, there's a million people out there trying the same thing, and what happens if he doesn't become famous? He'll be some nobody who's living in his parents basement, unsuccessful with no septum in his nose and is addicted to coke, or acid, or some other narcotic. He'll become dependant on it, become violent, become a major !@#, not have any friends, not have any money, you get where I'm coming from right? He'll turn to selling drugs, he'll be spotted by the cops one day and he'll start freaking out, maybe while he's got some acid stickers or w/e in his possession. It'll be hot out and he'll start running from the cops, and because he'll be dumb from all the coke/acid/whatever he's been doing, he'll put the stickers down his shirt and they'll absorb onto his skin and when he wakes up in the hospital he'll think he's orange juice, and that in no way is a joke.

AND! Coca-cola is extracted from the same plant as cocaine, and, it is inevitable that small amounts of cocaine made its way into the drink. However, this was in the 1800s, and was in no way intended to make the drink addictive or "better." The drink is named after the two key incredients, the Coca leaves and Kola nuts. And "coke" is just the short form of coca-cola.

Coca leaves contain small amounts of cocaine, and people in the Andean region of South America have a long tradition of chewing them for their effects as a mild stimulant, appetite suppressant, and altitude sickness remedy. To make cocaine powder, a much stronger stimulant, coca leaves undergo elaborate processing that involves washes by kerosene and several chemicals.

Coca-Cola used syrup from the coca leaves that probably introduced trace amounts of the active substance into the drink. But concern about cocaine addiction grew in the early 20th century, and in the United States, the Harrison Act of 1914 banned the use of the drug in non-prescription products.

When technology improved enough to make it possible, Coca-Cola started using "spent" coca leaves, which go through a cocaine extraction process, rather than fresh leaves, for flavor.

It gives a whole new meaning to "I'd like to buy the world a Coke." I prefer Pepsi.