With You In Your Dreams (NY, with a little Miami)

racefh853629

Pathologist
I don't own any of the characters other than Hailey and Neil, and I don't own anything else you recognize. The story takes place during season 1 (NY) and season 3 (Miami). This chapter is the only one set in Miami, as the rest are in NY. It's first person POV from Hailey's perspective. I hope you guys enjoy the story. :)

*~*~*~*

Prologue

I close my eyes as I feel the palm of his hand press against the small of my back. “Five more minutes,” I whisper through the tears.

“No rush,” he replies softly. I sniffle back more tears as I shiver, despite the warm Florida weather. His arm moves to around my waist, pulling me gently into his chest. I feel a sob climb throughout my body before finally escaping. All the words I wish I had said, the things I wish I had done and the ones I wish I had done differently, all come out in horrid, guilty sobs. He holds me closer, and I sink my head into his chest.

We stay this way for what feels like forever before I finally pull away, sniffling. I feel more exhausted than I ever imagined possible. I turn my head to him, and he gives me a sad, comforting smile. I nod, looking back to the casket one final time. I pull one of the flowers from the wreath before placing my hand on the smooth metal of the casket. Tears sting my eyes again as I take a deep breath and prepare my final goodbye.

“Oh, Timmy,” I whisper, my words catching on the tears waiting to fall. “I love you, bro, but… Nothing. It’s not important anymore.” I sniffle harshly. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do without my favorite big brother. I know you and Neil never made amends, but… I don’t know, I thought he’d be here. Mom said he wasn’t answering his phone. Well, anyway. I suppose none of that matters anymore.” I sniffle again as the tears flow freely down my cheeks. “I still can’t believe you’re gone. You’re my hero, my Superman. I don’t know what I’m going to do without you. I’m not sure how I’m going to last.” I pause, a sob escaping my lips. I run my hand over the smooth metal again, sniffling. “I love you, Timmy. Rest in peace.” I back away slightly, tears falling steadily down my face. “Goodbye, Timmy.” I turn away, crying hard as I walk back to my boyfriend.

He wraps his arm around me, pulling me close. He kisses my temple, and I rest my head against his chest. I start to walk away, and he comes with me. We climb into the limo with Mom and Dad, driving back to Tim’s place, where we are holding the after-funeral get-together. We walk inside to be greeted by the caterers.

“I can’t believe Neil’s not here,” Mom remarks. I sigh.

“I know,” I tell her. “I guess he felt too guilty about everything that he just didn’t come.”

“Still, though. It’s his twin brother. He should’ve been here.”

“It’s Neil, Mom. You shouldn’t be surprised.” Tim’s coworkers arrive before we can finish the argument.

“I’m so sorry again for your loss, Mrs. Speedle,” Horatio says.

“Same to you, Lieutenant Caine,” Mom replies, hugging him. I turn to him, extending my hand.

“Nice to see you again, Horatio,” I say as he shakes my hand. “You remember my boyfriend, Detective Danny Messer?”

“Yes, I do,” Horatio says, shaking Danny’s hand. “How are you?”

“I’m okay,” he says softly. Calleigh steps forward and hugs me.

“Hang in there, sweetie,” she tells me. I sniffle.

“You too, Cal,” I say. She steps aside as Delko walks up.

“I’m so sorry, Hailey,” he says, hugging me tightly.

“I’m sorry too, Delko.” Alexx hugs both of us.

“Hang in there, baby,” she instructs me as she lets go of both of us.

“Never be afraid to call on us,” Horatio says.

“I appreciate that, guys,” I say. “2-way street.”

“Noted.” After a while of mingling, I excuse myself to go sit outside on the porch swing. Danny joins me a moment later, pushing the swing slightly as he sits down.

“Hey,” he says softly, resting his arm behind me.

“Hi,” I reply, moving closer to his chest. He says nothing, letting me get comfortable against him. I close my eyes, inhaling his scent and thanking God I have him. “How much time do I get?” He sighs.

“You know Mac’ll let you take as much as you need.” I nod slowly.

“I don’t even wanna get up in the morning.” He nods sadly, pulling me close. “I mean, I knew there’d come a day when Timmy wasn’t here anymore. I just… never imagined it’d be this soon.” He nods his understanding.

“I’m sorry, babe.” I nod.

“Thanks.” I sigh, sniffling. “And Mom won’t stop obsessing about the fact that Neil’s not here.”

“Tim and Neil had a falling out, right?”

“Yeah, years ago. After Neil got kicked out of school. Tim told him that he was throwing his life away, and Neil said that it didn’t matter. Neil was always kinda an outsider, and Tim was the good son. They were identical in looks, probably are still close, but when it comes to personality, they’re polar opposites. Tim was more quiet, more reserved, just a sweet guy. He has had so many girlfriends, and treated all of them with such dignity and respect. I loved him so much for that, and he was always so good to me. He was the only one in my family that fully supported my decision to become a CSI. Mom and Dad grew into the idea, though.

“But Neil… He was always the troublemaker,” I continue. “He was always the bully, always so bad in school, always causing fights. Tim was always cleaning up his messes until finally, he was just so sick of it that he told Neil off. When Tim refused to help anymore, Neil disappeared. He kept an active cell phone for Mom and Mom alone to call, just in case, but he apparently never answers, and no one knows for sure where he is. Rumor has it he’s in the City, but no one really knows.”

“I’m sorry,” he says.

“Don’t be. It’s okay.”

“I… really don’t know what to say.” I shrug.

“There’s not really much you can say. I know your own family has had its falling out, but… Sorry. I have no idea what I’m talking about.” He chuckles softly before kissing my temple.

“It’s okay. It’s tough losing family.” Flack walks out of the house, sitting on the other side of me on the swing.

“Hey, guys,” he says softly.

“Hey, Flack,” Danny replies. Flack takes my hand in his in a friendly gesture, and I squeeze it softly.

“How you holdin’ up?” I shrug.

“I just… I can’t believe he’s gone,” I say quietly. Flack nods, quiet. “I loved him so much.”

“Yeah," he says. "It’s tough.” I look over at him, and he gives me a sad smile. “But, you know we’re all here for you.”

“Yeah, I know.” The three of us fall silent, sitting on the swing. Every so often, Flack gives it a little push, and we swing gently.

“You talk to Mac much?” Flack asks after a moment.

“Not yet,” I reply. “He called me last night, though, to see how I was doing. He couldn’t talk much because him, Stella, and Aiden were kinda busy, but he wanted to touch base with me.” Flack nods.

“Aiden called me last night,” Danny says. “After you fell asleep. She’s worried ‘bout you.”

“Who isn’t?” He shrugs, contemplating that thought. “I don’t blame you guys. But I do love you guys.”

“We love you too, babe.” He kisses my temple, and Flack squeezes my hand. I sigh softly, sitting quietly with the two of them as Tim’s team comes outside.

“We... are heading out,” Horatio says, putting on his sunglasses. “Take care, guys.” I stand, hugging the team one by one.

“You too,” I say. “Give me a call if you need anything.”

“You too, hon,” Calleigh says. They shake hands with Danny and Flack before leaving. After they have gone, we sit down on the swing again, falling silent. Flack rests his arm on the back of the swing while Danny holds onto my shoulders. I rest my head against his shoulder again, closing my eyes. Slowly but surely, everyone leaves, and Mom and Dad come outside.

“I was wondering where exactly you’d disappeared to,” Mom says.

“Just needed fresh air,” I reply, giving her a small smile.

“We’re heading out. If you want, you’re welcome to stay here.”

“We have a plane to catch in a few hours, so we have to get back to the hotel.” She nods. “Flack drove here, though, so I think we’re gonna catch a ride with him.”

“Okay.” Dad hugs me tightly.

“You’re the only one left,” he whispers to me softly.

“Don’t say that, Daddy,” I reply, matching his tone. “Neil’s still out there.”

“Neil turned his back on this family. We still have you, our wonderful daughter, and I don’t want to lose you. Be careful.”

“I always am, Daddy. And you know Danny, Aiden, Flack, Stella, and Mac’ll take good care of me as well.”

“I love you.” I sniffle.

“I love you too, Daddy.” He lets go of me finally, and Mom hugs me.

“Be good, and be careful,” she tells me.

“I always am,” I reply. They leave the three of us alone at Tim’s house. I turn, looking inside briefly before sniffling and feeling tears start to well up. “Let’s go, guys,” I whisper. Danny nods his understanding, wrapping his arm around me and leading me to the car as Flack follows. We head to the hotel, silently packing our things before checking out and heading to the airport to make the journey back to New York, and back home.

Awww! :eek: :(

I love how you've opened it so far. I was kind of wondering why she was crying and then once I found out, well now I need more. :p

Tim was the good son. They were identical in looks, probably are still close, but when it comes to personality, they’re polar opposites. Tim was more quiet, more reserved, just a sweet guy. He has had so many girlfriends, and treated all of them with such dignity and respect.

But Neil… He was always the troublemaker,” I continue. “He was always the bully, always so bad in school, always causing fights. Tim was always cleaning up his messes until finally, he was just so sick of it that he told Neil off. When Tim refused to help anymore, Neil disappeared.

Oh I like it. :) I'm interested in getting to know this Neil fellow, he sounds...erratic. :devil: :lol:

Great job so far, the Hailey character also seems really cool. I can't wait to see what you do with her.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story. Here's the next chapter. :)

*~*~*~*

Chapter 1

I sigh, tentatively knocking on the door. “Come in,” Mac calls, not looking up from the file on his desk to see me through the glass door. I step inside quietly, and Mac finally looks up to me. “Hey, Hailey,” he says, walking around his desk.

“Hey,” I say, stepping forward. He hugs me gently, and I sigh deeply.

“How’re you holding up?” I shrug as he starts to let go of me. I sniffle softly, and he hugs me closer.

“I'm sorry, I swear, I’m doing better,” I tell him, tears stinging my eyes and voice.

“You don’t have to apologize.” I close my eyes, still holding onto Mac. He rubs my back softly, and I take a deep breath, stopping the tears. I pull away from him, and he watches me. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m getting there.” I give him the strongest smile I can muster, and he smiles back slightly.

“Good. You know, you don’t have to come back this soon.”

“Yeah, I know, but there’s only so long you can sit at home, alone, before you start to get bored.” He nods sadly, knowing in some senses where I’m coming from but not knowing in others. He keeps his hand on my shoulder, still studying me.

“We’re all here for you, Hailey. Don’t forget that, okay?” I nod, swallowing back the lump in my throat.

“I won’t.” He nods, and I sigh softly. “So, what’s on the schedule today?”

“You sure you’re ready to work?”

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be, Mac.” He nods, moving back behind his desk.

“You’ll be working with Aiden today.” I nod. “She’ll fill you in when you see her. Hang in there, okay?”

“Will do. Thanks.” He nods, and I leave his office, finding Stella waiting for me as soon as I walk out.

“Hey, sweetie,” she says, hugging me. I hug her back tightly.

“Hey, Stel,” I reply.

“How’re you doing?”

“I’m up and down. I thought I was doing good, and ended up crying on Mac’s shoulder.”

“It’s tough. Just hang in there, okay?” I nod as she walks into Mac’s office. I walk down the hallway, finding Aiden waiting for me at the break room.

“Hey, kid,” she said, throwing her arm around my shoulders. I give her a small smile. “How you doin’?”

“Hangin’ in there,” I tell her. She nods, walking with me into the lab.

“So, our vic is in his 30s, single gunshot wound to the chest.” I nod. “I already got the scene done, so it’s just runnin’ the samples and putting together the pieces.” I nod again as we sit down and begin to process the samples. As we’re working, Danny comes in.

“Ladies,” he says. “What you got?”

“Gunshot vic,” Aiden says. “You?”

“Guy beaten to death on 43rd.”

“Mugged?” I ask.

“Probably,” Danny replies. He gives me a small smile, and I return it warmly.

“Hey, don’t start flirting in front of me,” Aiden quips. The two of us chuckle softly.

“Anyway, I got more important things to do than be hangin’ around you, Aiden. Hailey, I’ll see you for lunch?”

“We’ll see,” I say. “Depends on how the day goes.”

“Understandable,” he says. “Catch you later, babe.”

“Later.” He walks further into the lab, and Aiden shakes his head.

“I’m still not sure what you see in him,” she remarks. I chuckle.

“You know, some days, I don’t either,” I admit. “And then he makes me dinner or buys me flowers or comes through for me on something, and I remember why I love him.”

“You’re a sap, you know that?” I chuckle.

“Yeah, true. That’s something that I get from my dad.” She chuckles.

“Got an IBIS hit on that bullet. It was used two years ago in a robbery, suspect never caught.”

“Where?”

“Down on East 65th,” she reads off the computer. “Clerk was shot in the shoulder. That’s where the bullet came from.”

“Alright,” I say. “That one sounds slightly familiar. So what do we know about it?”

“I dunno. Let’s pull the file.” I chuckle.

“It’s probably on Mac’s desk.”

“Yeah, probably.” Before we go anywhere, the GCMS beeps, and I smile. I pull up the results on the screen.

“Trace on the shirt is hair dye.”

“Hair dye? Got a make on that?”

“Clairol Nice and Easy.”

“So, our shooter dyed her hair?”

“Does our vic have a girlfriend?” Aiden shakes her head.

“Nah. He just broke up with his girlfriend.”

“Dye’s fresh, so either he dyed his hair with Clairol, or he was murdered while someone he knew was.”

“Let’s find out.”

Sorry about the slow updates... I've been kinda busy lately, but I hope I can update more regularly soon. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story! Here's the next chapter. :)

*~*~*~*

Chapter 2

The lights were off, I remember about the room. That’s the only thing I remember. Mostly because I couldn’t see anything else. There wasn’t any windows, either. And as something flickered in the corner, I realized there was a fireplace. I tried to get up, but all that happened was that I rattled the chains shackling me to the wall.

It’s no use, Hailey,” Tim said. “We’re stuck here.”

We?” I asked. “As in you and me? Tim and Hailey?”

No, as in Goofy and Santa Claus.”

I’m sorry, Tim, but my head’s a little fuzzy. Not to mention, you’re dead.”

Hey. I’m not dead, Hailey.”

I went to your funeral, big brother.” He sighed.

You have to believe me, Hailey, I’m not dead.” I shrugged.

Whatever. Look, we need to get out of here. Who knows what’ll happen if we don’t.”

“It’s…”

*~*~*~*

A pounding on the door wakes me up before Tim can finish, and I make my way down the hall. “I’m coming,” I grumble sleepily.

“Hey, Kiddo,” Flack says as I open the door with groggy eyes. I groan.

“Danny,” I call out, stepping aside to let Flack in.

“Wah?” Danny replies, half awake, from the bedroom.

“Don’s here for you, and he’s annoyingly awake.” Flack laughs.

“Thanks, Peaches,” he says. I roll my eyes.

“Too early in the morning,” I tell him.

“It’s noon.”

“Went to bed at 4.”

“It’s noon.”

“Didn’t sleep all week.” His face morphs into a somber frown.

“Still not sleeping?” I chuckle.

“Got more in common with Mac than anyone thought possible, huh?” He shakes his head. “Danny makes me sleep when he’s here, so it’s not that bad.” Flack nods.

“Good, good.” Danny walks down the hallway, dressed to go play basketball. He kisses me gently.

“Have fun, boys,” I tell them. They smile.

“Oh, we will,” Danny says. “I’m so gonna bust your ass, Flack.”

“In your dreams, Messer.” I shake my head.

“Don’t kill him,” I say.

“Who you sayin’ that to?” Danny asks.

“Either of you. That’s too much paperwork, and we don’t have the time to find and train new replacements for you guys.” They laugh.

“Alright, fair enough.” Danny picks up his overnight bag, the one that rarely leaves my place. “I’ll come by later, okay? We’ll do dinner.” I nod.

“Sounds good. Have fun, babe.”

“Have a good day.” He kisses me again, and Flack chuckles.

“You two wanna get a room?” he asks. “‘Cuz I can always come back.” I laugh.

“Get out of here,” I say to him.

“We’re going. Bye, Hailey.”

“Bye, Flack.” They leave, and I head back to my room, determined to get some rest. Just as I start to drift off, my phone rings. “Screw you,” I say to it as I grab it. Stella. Well, now I feel a little bad for that comment… “Speedle,” I answer.

“Hey, Hailey,” Stella says.

“Hey, Stel. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to go out, do a little shopping today.”

“That sounds fine.” I really wasn’t going to sleep anyway. “Got somewhere in mind?”

“Yeah, I do, but I’m not telling.” I laugh.

“That usually spells trouble for me.” Stella chuckles.

“It’s not that bad.”

“Alright, fine. Just give me some time to take a shower, okay? Danny and I were just woken up by a certain homicide detective who, if he does it again, will be no longer.” She laughs.

“Yeah, well, Don and Danny have that standing Saturday appointment.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean he has to wake me up too.”

“Okay, if you say so. I’ll be over in about 45?”

“Sounds good, Stella.”

“Great. I’ll see you then.”

“Bye.” We hang up, and I jump straight into the shower. I get out a short time later, get dressed, dry my hair, and put on some light makeup just as Stella shows up.

“Hey, girl,” she says, walking in.

“Let yourself in, why don’t you?” I joke.

“Ha-ha, you’re hilarious. Glad to see you’re somewhat returning to normal.” I shrug.

“It’s been a month. Feels like it’s been three years, but it’s been a month. Just feels like it’s time to kind of return to life. I mean, I still miss Tim, and I always will, but I need to start putting my life back together.” She nods.

“Good for you. I don’t know I’d be back so fast if it were my brother. You were back in a week.” I shrug.

“To each their own. For me, the best way to get over something is to work through it.” She nods.

“You’re a lot more like Mac than I thought,” she comments. I laugh.

“That’s what I was telling Flack earlier.”

“Must be true.” I nod, grabbing my keys and my pocket book. “I’ll drive.”

“I was hoping you’d say that.”

“And we’ll get coffee before.”

“Bless you!” She laughs.

“Not hard to please, huh?”

“Don’t tell Danny that.” She nods.

“Deal, but I gotta tell ya, sweetie, I think he already knows.” I laugh.

“Yeah, probably. So, where are we off to?”

“I figured we’d get some coffee, then go to the mall.” I nod.

“Sounds like a plan.” We walk down to her car, getting in. She drives to my favorite local coffee shop, and afterward, heads to the mall.

“So, you’re doing okay?” Stella asks as we walk inside. I sip my coffee.

“I like to think so,” I reply quietly. She watches me closely.

“Because, it’s okay if you’re not.”

“Okay, Danny.” She laughs.

“You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I do.” We walk into a store, and immediately start looking at shirts. “I don’t know,” I say, fingering the material of one. “It’s hard. I grew up with two older brothers. Try being the little sister of twins, huh?”

“Must’ve been tough,” she says, picking a pair of jeans off the rack.

“Oh, it was. Neil was always the bad seed. Got caught shoplifting when he was 6. Got in his first playground fistfight at 8. Got caught cheating in school, was disrespectful to my parents, Tim, me, his teachers, the administration, the shrink… everyone. Didn’t really have many friends except those who were just like him. Got into drugs and alcohol by the time he was 12. My parents gave up on him really quickly after that. But Tim… Tim never really did. He was always cleaning up Neil’s messes. Always taking care of him. Even I don’t know how he did it, because I gave up too. Tim, bless his heart, did the best he could. It wore him out, though.

“That’s why he moved to Miami,” I continue, picking up a pair of black dress pants. “He couldn’t keep cleaning up after Neil. Eventually, Neil’s actions were going to bite Tim in the ass if he stayed in up here.”

“You weren’t afraid of that, though?” Stella asks, tilting her head as she grabs a shirt off another rack.

“Nah. Neil and I don’t have the same DNA, but he and Tim do. Could you imagine explaining to Mac why DNA in a case has a full match to an internal control sample? Over and over again?” She shakes her head.

“They were identical, huh?”

“In every way. You put the two of them of them next to each other, and the only way you’d ever know the difference was by the fact that Tim always dressed a lot cleaner than Neil. Tim was always more sharper dressed. I guess, though, that Tim’s relationship with Neil was the reason he was so… lax about everything in Miami. He had gotten so sick of doing everything for Neil, cleaning up after him, fixing his mistakes, that after a while, he just stopped caring. Stopped taking as good care of himself. He still dressed nicely, but his hair grew out, he stopped shaving… it worked for him, but in comparison to where he was, it was a little gross. I really couldn’t blame him, though.”

“Yeah.”

“Tim always took care of me, though. Always made sure I was going to the right school, hanging out with the right crowd, dating the right guys. He used to scare the crap out of every boyfriend I had. Especially after he became a CSI. Loved throwing out the line about how his job had taught him all about finding the evidence, so he knew how exactly to cover it up.” I chuckle, and Stella smiles. “He liked Danny, a lot. He likened Danny to a teddy bear. Generally a little squishy, soft on the inside, but can take a helluva beating.” Stella chuckles at the description.

“Yeah, that does sound like him.”

“Tim’s usually right on in his judgment of character. Well, was usually right. But, like I said, he just seemed to stop caring as much. Little things would bother him. He spent a lot of his time brooding, being moody and dark. No one down there thought things were different, you know? I mean, he was happy. He was living a new life. But then Neil got into trouble up here…”

“Yeah, I remember that,” she says. “Mac called you into his office, asked you about Neil. What ended up happening with that?”

“Neil got out of jail a few months ago. He was booked on assault, charges were eventually dropped because the victim dropped them. Neil hadn’t been able to post bail, and Tim wasn’t about to help him. I wanted to keep out of it, and was supported by Mac in that decision. Neil never blamed me for staying out of it, but was pissed that Tim didn’t back him up.” She shakes her head as we make our way into the dressing room.

“So that’s why Neil didn’t show up at the funeral, huh?”

“I don’t know, in all honesty. Despite how much Neil felt abandoned, no one ever stopped talking to him. They just stopped cleaning up his messes. The only one he was ever angry with over that was Tim. He felt Tim owed it to him as his twin to look after him. Tim stopped caring. I thought Neil would let it go when he found out Tim was dead, but apparently, he didn’t.”

“Some rivers run deep.” I walk out in a peach V-neck with the black pants I picked up, and Stella comes out in gray pants with a light blue cardigan. “That looks good on you,” she says. I smile.

“I’ve never been a fan of you wearing gray, but even I can make exceptions,” I say, smiling. She laughs.

“Noted.” We head back into the changing stalls, and Stella sighs. “So, where’s Neil now?”

“I’m not sure. I talked to my mom last night, and she says she still hasn’t heard from him, but that’s not unusual. The only time we usually hear from Neil is when he’s in trouble. Haven’t heard anything since before Tim’s death, though.”

“So, you have no idea if he even knows.”

“I’m sure he knows. I’m also sure he probably doesn’t care. Neil never really cared about anyone but himself. Tim cared about everyone other than himself.”

“So, as much as they were alike, they were complete opposites.”

“Yep.” We finish up in that store and head into a shoe store. “You know, this could be severely detrimental to both our bank accounts.” She laughs.

“Yeah, but we both know that neither of us really care.” I shrug.

“You have a point.” We continue talking as we shop, spending time together as friends outside of work.

“So, what’re you up to tonight?” she asks. I shrug.

“I don’t know yet,” I say. “Probably just dinner in with Danny.”

“Who’s cooking?”

“Probably him because I’ll make him.” She chuckles.

“Got him that controlled, huh?”

“He’s been willing to do most anything I’ve asked ever since I met him in the academy.”

“He loves you.”

“Yeah, I know. He has since we met in the academy.”

“You were behind him, though.”

“Yeah, by a couple months. We literally ran into each other, started talking, been together ever since.” She chuckles.

“And you both ended up drafted on Mac’s team.”

“Yeah. Don’t know how that happened.” Stella smiles.

“I mentioned you to Mac. Thought you’d be damn good at this job, that you’d get along well with the team. He agreed, and that’s how you got hired here. Danny, it’s because he was top of his class.”

“I was fifth. You still thought I was good enough?”

“Yeah. You were smart, tough, not willing to take crap from anyone, and you can speak two languages.”

“That matters?”

“When you get Spanish, Chinese, and anything in between, knowing more than one is a good thing. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that you have a brother in law enforcement, even if it is in another state.”

“Tim always did come in handy,” I joke. She smiles.

“Yeah,” she says.

“I miss that kid so much. Miss calling him after a rough shift or tough case. Miss him bitching about his bad cases and the few times his coworkers did something to piss him off. I really miss just hearing his voice. When I was a kid and couldn’t sleep, I’d go in his room. I’d wake him up, and he never once yelled at me for it. He would talk to me until I fell back asleep.”

“He sounds like an amazing big brother.”

“He was.” I frown slightly, thinking about him.

“He’s always with you, hon, in your heart and memories.” And in my dreams, but I forgo telling her about that one.

“Yeah, I know.” We continue shopping for a little while before she takes me home for the night.

Aww a great character development chapter for Neil, even though he hasn't shown up yet. This guy sounds like quite the character, no pun intended of course. ;)

I can see that Tim's death really affected Hailey--wonder what those dreams mean. Hopefully we'll find out. I'm sure there has to be some meaning to the shackles and dark room with the fireplace. Maybe it was somewhere Hailey previously was? Or maybe it's just a random figment of her dreams or it holds a deeper psychological meaning. Hmm much contemplation on that one.

Oh! Loved the banter between Danny & Flack. :D That's one of my favourite things about CSI:NY, hee. You capture their friendship really well.

Great chapter. :D

I'm so sorry to have neglected this for so long, but I've been wicked busy with school and work. Hopefully once I fall into a rhythm, I'll be better about updating.

At any rate, I appreciate all the reviews. Here's the next chapter.

*~*~*~*

Chapter 3

I looked around, keeping my eyes peeled for a glimmer of anything that could tell me where I was. Nothing. Not even a mark on the wall. Everything was bland, smoky gray, and I sighed. What the hell was going on?

The door I didn’t realize was in the wall opened, and Tim walked in. The white of his shirt played a slight contrast to the smoke that poured in behind him. “Tim?” I asked.

Yes,” he replied. He closed the door behind him, and leaned against the wall in his characteristic style. I watched him intently.

What the hell’s happening?”

Hey, mouth, sis.”

Sorry. What the eff is happening here?” He laughed, something that hasn’t been heard in years.

Better. Listen, sis, I need your help.”

How am I supposed to help you? You’re dead.”

I’m not dead.”

Tim, seriously, you died.”

No, I didn’t.”

What are you talking about?” He looked over at the door as flames licked at it from the other side.

I don’t have much time before the fire gets you in here. Get out while you can, and remember, I’m not dead. I need your help.”

How?” Before he could answer, the door burst into flames. He rushed over to me.

Get out of here.”

Tim…”

Save yourself, get out of here.”

But…”

Remember you saw me. Remember what I said. Help me later. Get out now.”

Tim…” He forced open the window that just appeared, and pushed me toward it.

I love you, Hailey. Now, go.”

“I love you too, Tim.” I climbed slowly through the window…

*~*~*~*

I wake up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. It takes me a minute to regain my bearings and control before I realize that I’m in the break room at work. I sigh, shaking my head. I fell asleep at work. “You have a good nap?” I hear from the door. I freeze, wincing.

“Mac, I’m so sorry,” I say. He walks in, shaking his head. “It’ll never happen again… although I probably…”

“Hailey, relax. Your shift ended long before you fell asleep.” I sigh.

“Still, I’m really sorry.” He sits down across from me, concern etched in his features. “You’re not gonna fire me, are you?” He shakes his head.

“No.” He sighs, and I watch him curiously. “So, I assume you’re not doing all that well if you’ve taken to falling asleep in the lab.” I sigh.

“No, I’m not,” I admit for the first time. Something about Mac just makes me have to tell the truth. Why, I don’t understand, though.

“Have you talked to anyone about this?” I shook my head. “Why not?”

“Because I don’t want anyone to worry.”

“They’re going to worry whether you want them to or not, Hailey.”

“Yeah, I know. I just… I want my life to be normal again. I want everything to be okay again. And it’s not. I fall asleep and all I see is him. He haunts me in my dreams. I try to analyze evidence and all I think about is his case and what the Miami team went through trying to find his killer. I think of all the things I wanted to say to him, and all the things I never got to say to him, and it kills me. It honestly kills me. I have so many regrets, Mac.” I put my head down on my arms, determined not to let him see me cry again. I realize that the movement was futile when he reaches out across the table and rubs my arm.

“I know it hurts,” he says softly. I stay still, sniffling. “You always think about the things you never got to say. About how much you miss them. Where you’d be if they were still here. But for two siblings who lived on two opposite ends of the east coast, you guys were as close as you could be.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean anything, Mac,” I say as I look up. “He doesn’t know about a lot of the things that happened up here. And I’m sure he hasn’t told me a lot about what happened down there.”

“That’s the nature of a sibling relationship, I’m afraid.”

“And Neil… God, Neil… I still hate him.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because he screwed everything up! If Tim didn’t have to always be cleaning up his messes, he would’ve stayed in New York, and he wouldn’t have left for Miami. If he didn’t leave, he wouldn’t have been in that jewelry store to be shot!” I cry even harder, and Mac frowns from across the table.

“I think that’s unfair,” he says softly.

“I don’t care!” I shout in response. “He couldn’t even be bothered to go to his twin brother’s funeral!” I bury my face in my hands, shaking with sobs. Mac moves next to me, hugging me toward him. I cry against his shoulder, and he holds me there for what feels like a while before I calm down. “I’m sorry,” I whisper hoarsely.

“It’s okay,” he replies quietly.

“I just… I had a really weird dream, and so I keep thinking about him.” He furrows his brow.

“What kind of dream?”

“Tim was there, telling me that he wasn’t dead and that he needed my help. But, I trust his team. They wouldn’t mess up. There’s no way he’s still alive.” He nods, sighing softly. “I think I just really want him to be alive.”

“Yeah. And that’s understandable.” I frown, nodding.

“I miss him. Miss hearing from him every few days, his concerns that I’m still alive, him calling and threatening Danny every time we got into a fight.” He smiles at that, and I sigh. “It really was funny, though. Especially after the first time Tim’s gun misfired. Danny bantered back that if Tim shot him, he’d still be alive because Tim can’t clean a gun.” Mac shakes his head, laughing softly.

“Your brother was a character, huh?”

“Yeah,” I say, biting the corner of my lip. “Tim was always fun. He was the bitter, sarcastic one who would protect me from everything. He hated that I became a cop.”

“Yeah, I know,” Mac says. “He called me when the NYPD got your application.” My eyebrows shot up. “He never told you, did he?”

“Of course not. Did you think he would?” Mac shakes his head. “What’d he say?”

“He said that you had applied for PD as a detective, but that he would appreciate if you ended up at CSI.”

“Why?”

“He felt you’d be safer there. Not that you couldn’t hold your own, that wasn’t his issue. He just didn’t want you put in that position.”

“Why?”

“He said something about you being the hope for the future.” I bit my lip, tears welling up in my eyes again. “That, and he thought you liked science better than chasing suspects down.” I shake my head.

“He had no idea how wrong he was.” Mac nods, smiling slightly. “So, you hired me because he made a phone call?”

“No. I took a glance at you because he made a phone call. I hired you because you were qualified for the job.” I nod, sniffling. “You’re a great CSI, and I knew you would be after I saw your application and talked to you.” I nod again before biting my lip.

“I don’t think he ever wanted me to really be serious about this, though. I told him once that I was going to be a cop, and he told me that was the dumbest choice I could ever make. I did it anyway, though. He never liked it, but when he found out I became a CSI, we had more we could talk about, you know?”

“Yeah.”

“Of course, his expertise was always trace, and mine’s more of psychological profiling, but still, we had things we could talk about. He would explain some test he ran on some piece of evidence and how it nailed the guy, and I would talk about how I profiled a murderer or something. We had a common ground to walk on, you know?”

“Yeah.”

“Neil and I never had that. And I doubt we ever will. Tim and I were a lot alike. So much so that our parents thought we were the twins.” I sigh, looking down. “I’m sorry, I talk too much.” Mac shakes his head.

“It’s alright,” he says. “Some people get through things by talking about them.” I nod, sighing.

“I’m not a talker,” I explain. He nods. “I usually don’t talk about my problems. I prefer no one know what’s going on. But, sometimes, I just need to get it out, and bless his heart, but Danny isn’t always the best person to talk to.” He chuckles. “He can get emotional sometimes, and it’s better if he doesn’t know how bad it really is. But, he knows I’m not really sleeping and that I only really do when he’s there.”

“Yeah. Most of us can see that.” I shrug.

“I go to sleep and I dream of him. Which sounds really weird, but it’s true. I know it’s all part of the grieving process and that this is relatively normal, but I honestly think it’s something that should be happening if I were his girlfriend rather than his younger sister.”

“You guys were close. I’m not surprised at all.” I shrug again, sighing.

“Doesn’t really matter. I should probably go home before Danny worries about where I am.” Mac chuckles before pointing through the window.

“I think he already is.” I turn around and find Danny standing there, watching us. I smile softly and turn back to Mac.

“Thanks for the talk.”

“Anytime. You know my door’s always open.” I nod, smiling.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He waves, and I walk out of the break room. Danny wordlessly slings his arm around my shoulders, and I glance back and wave to Mac before leaving with Danny for the night.

Thia is a wonderful story! I love how you seamlessly blended the two shows in the prologue. Its so sad that she lost her brother. Neil's already lost to her and now Tim's gone. You can see the linggering effects that its having on her. I can't wait to read more!

I'm glad you guys are enjoying this story. :) I'm having fun writing it. :)

Here's the next chapter!

*~*~*~*

Chapter 4

Danny walks into the living room, putting a plate down in front of me as I sit on the couch. Aiden smirks, sitting down with her own plate as Danny takes a seat next to me. “You make a great chicken parm, Aiden,” I remark. She smiles.

“Thanks, Hailey,” she replies. Danny smiles, complimenting Aiden as well as he pours us all wine. “You guys actually have a comfortable routine with each other now, huh?”

“Something like that.” She smirks.

“Not really?”

“He can get in the way sometimes,” I joke. She laughs while Danny looks offended. “Aww, come on, babe,” I say. “You know I’m only playing.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he replies. “I hate these chick nights. Where’s Flack when you need him?”

“Out with his new girlfriend,” Aiden replies.

“Fifty bucks says they don’t make it to Monday,” I throw out there.

“No bet.”

“Why not?”

“Because we all know that’s true.” I laugh.

“Touché.”

“Stop pickin’ on the poor guy, huh?” Danny says. “God, put the two of you together, and all you do is pick on everyone.”

“That’s because we can,” I say.

“We’re girls,” Aiden adds. I turn to her and give her an approving smirk, and the two of us nod. Danny shakes his head, sighing.

“I shoulda gone out tonight,” he remarks.

“You love my cooking.”

“Yeah, I do, but I still shoulda gone out tonight.”

“You love me,” I say.

“Yeah, I do, but I still shoulda…” he begins. I put my hand over his mouth.

“No buts.” I let go of his mouth.

“You’re in a good mood today, my dear.” I shrug.

“Girly days can do that for me.”

“So, I take it you girls had fun, then.”

“Of course,” Aiden says. I smirk.

“Lots of fun,” I add. Her and I look at one another before cracking up. All we did today was go for a drive and talk.

“I don’t even want to know,” Danny says as someone knocks on our door. He gets up, and I smile at Aiden.

“He’s so well trained,” she quips. I nod, and he rolls his eyes.

“Whatever, Burn.” He opens the door to reveal Flack standing there.

“Date didn’t go well?” Aiden asks, looking at me. I laugh.

“Oh, it was great,” Flack says, walking in. “Right up until the point where her husband walked in.”

“Oh… ouch,” I say.

“Have some chicken parm and tell us all about it,” Aiden says.

“Yeah,” Danny says. “Grab a plate, a chair, and a glass.”

“Wine?” Flack asks.

“Until dinner’s done, yes,” I reply, giving him a mock stern face. He shrugs.

“Fair enough.” He grabs a plate, sitting in the other chair in the living room. Danny pours him a glass of wine, and Flack furrows his brow. “So, fancy dinner, but not at the dining table?” he asks.

“Stop asking questions,” I say.

“Fancy, but comfortable, dinner,” Aiden says matter-of-factly. I smile, nodding.

“Whose idea was this?” Flack asks.

“Hailey’s,” Danny replies.

“Got a problem with that?” I ask. Flack shakes his head. “Alright then.”

“Not something I’m used to, though,” Flack replies. I shrug.

“Me neither. That’s why I thought this would be fun.” We go back to eating dinner, and I turn to Flack. “So, she’s married?” I ask.

“Yep,” he replies.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. She wasn’t that good looking. Or that good in bed.” I laugh.

“Nice to know you have standards.”

“I do.” As we finish dinner, Flack begins to clear away the dishes.

“You don’t have to do that,” I tell him.

“It’s fine,” he says. “I came late and was uninvited, so I should do something.”

“I’ll help,” Danny offers, standing and walking into the kitchen. While the two of them clean up from dinner, Aiden and I sit on the couch.

“So, have you talked to your parents recently?” she asks. I shake my head. “Why not?”

“Because I really don’t know what to say to them,” I tell her.

“What do you mean?”

“Do I tell them I’m okay? Do I tell them I’m a mess, even though I’m not?”

“Go visit them.”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Because we weren’t that close before Tim died. It’d be a little weird if I became their little girl again now.”

“I don’t know about that,” she said with a shrug. I rolled my eyes.

“Aiden, seriously,” I say. “They aren’t going to want to see me.”

“You don’t know that.”

“They love me, yes. But I’m grown up. They hate being reminded of that. They hate being reminded that their twin boys are old, that I have a life of my own now. And they hate that when I leave them, they have to be afraid that’ll be the last time they see me alive.”

“Are you sure they really hate that and that you’re not just projecting that on them?” I glare at her. “Hey, it’s just a question. Put away the daggers.”

“Sorry. I just hate people insinuating that I’m projecting my feelings onto everything. I’ve had that hanging over me ever since I became a cop.”

“You’re a woman in law enforcement. Of course every guy’s going to think your feelings go into everything.”

“Ain’t that the truth.” We fall silent for a moment, and I sigh.

“How’re you really doing?” she asks quietly.

“I’m fine,” I reply. She watched me intently, and I shook my head. “Stop trying to overanalyze the situation. I’m really doing okay.”

“Danny said you broke down in front of Mac the other day.”

“Danny really oughta keep his mouth shut.”

“Is that true?”

“I was tired and had a bad dream. Mac woke me up, and I cried. It’s not breaking down, Aiden.”

“Okay, okay. Jeez. I’m sorry.” I sigh.

“I’m sorry.”

“For someone who’s fine, you’re awfully defensive.” I shrug.

“Hazard of growing up Speedle,” I tell her. “You get really defensive.”

“I can imagine,” she says. “I met your brother.”

“Which one?”

“Neil.”

“Oh, right.”

“I arrested him, more appropriately.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m well versed on his arrest record.”

“Where is he now, anyway?”

“I don’t know. Lost track of him after he got out of prison last time. Don’t really care to keep track of him.”

“Why not? He could go homicidal on your ass.” I shook my head.

“Neil doesn’t hate me,” I tell her. “He has no reason to want to kill me. I’m the little sister. I’m not supposed to bail him out of anything or anything.”

“But Tim is?” she asks.

“In Neil’s mind, he was.” She nodded, frowning.

“I’m sorry, sweetie.” I shrug.

“I’m used to it,” I tell her. “I grew up with it.”

“Must’ve been hell.”

“No worse than Danny or Flack’s families.” The two boys walk back into the room, sitting down with us. Danny throws his arm around my shoulders, and I smile, resting my head against his shoulder.

“So, Flack,” Aiden says. I chuckle.

“What, Burn?” he asks.

“About your ex…”

“Oh, do we have to go through this?”

“Where’d you meet her?”

“A club. She wasn’t wearing her ring. Trust me, I looked.”

“When you meet someone at a club, you don’t ask if they’re in a relationship before you take them home?” I ask as my cell phone rings.

“No, I don’t,” he says regretfully.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Well, hello there,” Calleigh replies. I smile softly, standing up.

“Hey Cal. How’re you?”

“I’m doing okay,” she answers as I walk out of the room. “I wanted to see how you’re doing.”

“I’m…” I close the door to my bedroom behind me, locking it. “I’m living.”

“I figured you were about there.” I can hear the frown in her voice as she talks. “Is there anything I can do?”

“I wish, Calleigh. In all honesty, there isn’t much anyone can do.” I hear her sigh softly, which causes me to frown. “I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize. I know you and Tim were real close.”

“Yeah, we were.” I sigh softly. “Honestly, Cal, something doesn’t feel right,” I admit.

“What do you mean?” she asks.

“I can’t get rid of the feeling in my gut that says Tim’s still alive.”

“Hailey, he’s not. I saw the body.”

“I know. I don’t doubt you guys and your detective work. But still… something just doesn’t feel right.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean.”

“I keep having these weird dreams, and in every one, he’s telling me he’s still alive.” Calleigh sighs.

“Hon, I don’t know what to tell you. I know what I saw. I know it was him.”

“Yeah, I know.” I sigh. “I saw the body too. I know it was Tim.” Or was it? I never could tell the difference between Neil and Tim. And it became especially bad when they stopped living near each other. You could tell close up when they were side-by-side who was who, but because Neil wasn’t there… No, it had to be Tim. They wouldn’t make…

“You okay?” Calleigh asks, snapping my thoughts.

“Huh?” I ask.

“You got really quiet all of a sudden.”

“Sorry, I was thinking.”

“Fair enough. Do you want me to let you go?”

“It’s okay.”

“How’s Danny doing?”

“Very well, actually. I’ll tell him you asked.”

“Okay. He’s a good one.”

“Yeah, he definitely is.” We talk for a few more minutes about the happenings on the streets of New York and Miami before we exchange goodbyes and promises to talk later. After hanging up, I stay in my room for a few moments, thinking. Could the dreams be telling me the truth? Could it be Neil and not Tim that was buried in Miami? And, if that’s the case, where’s Tim now?

The easiest way to solve this mystery is to find Neil.

But, it can’t be Neil. It has to be Tim. Just because Neil’s been MIA for a while now doesn’t mean anything. Granted, I haven’t heard back from him after he missed Tim’s funeral services, but I doubt anyone has. And just because he hasn’t been arrested yet this year also doesn’t mean anything. But… no. I can’t keep thinking this. Tim’s dead and Neil’s alive. I just have to find him.

GPS his cell. If he has it on him and turned on, it’ll work to find him. Hopefully.

Danny knocks on the door before picking it and poking his head in. “You okay?” he asks softly.

“Yeah, fine,” I say. “I’m just… thinking.”

“About?”

“Stuff.” He nods.

“Well, Flack and Aiden were wondering where you disappeared off to.” I stand up from the bed.

“Calleigh called,” I explain as I walk out of the room and down the hall with him.

“What’d she want?” he replies.

“Just to see how I was doing.”

“That’s sweet of her.”

“Yeah.” We rejoin the two of them in the living room, talking away most of the night.

Thanks for your reviews... and your patience. Gotta love school and writer's block... anyway, here's the next chapter. :)

*~*~*~*

Chapter 5

My phone rings in the middle of the night, and I groan. I slip out of Danny’s arms enough to be able to reach it. “Speedle,” I say quietly, still trying to wake up enough to hold a conversation.

“Hailey,” Mac says.

“What’s up, boss?”

“I need you to come down to the precinct.”

“Okay. Do I need to bring Danny with me?” He mumbles something about not wanting to go, and I shake my head.

“That’s up to you. I just need you here fast.”

“Okay, okay. We’re on our way.” Danny grumbles in protest as I hang up with Mac.

“Why’d you sign me up for this?” he asks.

“Because something sounded off with Mac,” I reply. “I don’t want to face that alone.”

“Off how?” Danny stands up, starting to get dressed. I shrug as I do the same.

“I can’t explain it. It was like he was concerned, like something wasn’t fitting right.”

“He gets like that on a case.”

“This was different.”

“How so?”

“It felt more personal.” Danny shrugs, and the two of leave for the lab.

*~*~*~*

We walk through the front door to be greeted by Mac. “What’s going on?” I ask him.

“I have something you need to see for yourself,” he said. “I got called out to a homicide tonight in Jamaica, Queens. I lifted several prints from the room, including these.” He shows me the computer screen, which has a picture of Tim displayed on it, as well as his MDPD information sheet.

“Tim’s prints were there?”

“And they were fresh.” I sit against the desk while Danny rubs my shoulder.

“So, Tim’s not really dead.”

“Doesn’t look like it.”

“Then who did we…” My voice trails off as I realize why no one’s heard from Neil since before Tim’s death. “Neil.”

“Huh?” Danny asks. I look up at him.

“We didn’t bury Tim in Miami,” I say. “We buried Neil.”

“How?”

“When we have a body with an ID on it, do we take prints to confirm it? No, we usually use DNA. I’m sure Miami does the same thing. Tim and Neil were identical twins. They have the same DNA.”

“So, they run the DNA on the body against Tim’s, and it matches. They’ve covered that base of ID confirmation.”

“But it’s also Neil’s.” I turn to Mac. “We need to exhume the body.” Mac nods.

“I already called Horatio Caine,” he says. “They’re getting a court order.”

“Oh, okay,” I say, sighing. “What can we do?”

“We need to analyze that crime scene for any more traces of Tim, who’s taken him, or where they have him now,” Danny says.

“Hailey, you stay here by the phone,” Mac says. “Horatio may call up and want to talk to you. I told him you were on the way in when I spoke with him. Danny, you and I are going back to the crime scene. Flack, Aiden, and Stella are on their way in to help.”

“We’ll find him.” I nod, and Danny kisses me on the temple before walking out with Mac to go back to the crime scene. I sigh softly, bouncing my leg out of nervous habit.

What if this is true? What if Tim really is still alive? I want to hope that he is, but at the same time…

My gut says he is. I feel it. I’ve felt it for a little while. I look at the phone, thinking for a moment before picking it up and dialing a familiar number. I wait for the person to pick up the line before saying, “Mom?”

*~*~*~*

(Danny’s POV)

“So, what are we looking for?” I ask, looking over at Mac.

“Anything to show where they might’ve taken Tim,” he replies. I shrug.

“Okay. Where did you find his fingerprints in the room?” Most likely, that’s where they kept him, and we’d probably find something.

“In that corner,” he said, pointing. “So, you process over there, and I’ll look around to see if there’s anything to suggest who has him.” I nod, walking over to where Mac pointed. I sigh, squatting down to look at the floor.

I hope for Hailey’s sake that we find him, and that he’s okay. She’s already lost him once, and now she may be getting him back. Losing him again would kill her.

I try to push those thoughts out of my head to take care of the task at hand. Find the trace of Tim, and we may just find our kidnapper with it.

*~*~*~*

(Hailey’s POV)

The phone rings, and I jump on it. “Detective Speedle,” I say into it.

“Hailey, it’s Horatio,” he says.

“Hey, Horatio.”

“How are you?”

“I’m… alright, I guess. How’re you?”

“I’m good. Okay, so we have our court order, and we’re exhuming the body as we speak, okay? I don’t want you to worry. We’ll get to the bottom of this.”

“Someone wanted to kidnap Tim. We need to figure out who that is.”

“I have Calleigh and Eric looking into it.”

“I talked to my mother, because she was the first person to go into Tim’s house. She said everything was no more messy than what it usually was with him.”

“So, someone… grabbed him in his sleep.”

“That would be my guess. They could’ve broken in while he was sleeping, subdued him for good measure, and dragged him off.”

“Okay. I’ll head over to Tim’s house, see if I can’t find some evidence still of him being taken. I don’t want you to worry, okay? We’ll figure this out.”

“I know, Horatio. I know. Have Calleigh or Eric give me a call if they find something, okay?”

“I will. You and your CSIs will be kept in with everything down here.”

“Same coming from us to you.”

“Good. I, will talk to you later.”

“Later, Horatio.” We hang up as Hawkes walks into the room.

“Hey,” he says softly. “I heard about what’s going on, and I wanted to see how you’re doing.” I smile.

“Thanks, Doc,” I reply, smiling. “I’m doing alright. I’m nervous. I just hope he’s okay.”

“If your brother’s anything like you, I have no doubts that he’s fine.” I smile wider at him, and he hugs me. “I’m heading down to Autopsy. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask, okay?”

“I won’t, Sheldon. Thanks.”

“No problem. Take care.” He walks out of the room, and I smile. He’s always such a sweetheart.

I walk out of Mac’s office, taking the opportunity to walk around the lab. Graveyard’s still in their shift, and I know our shift’s on their way in, if they aren’t already here. I walk into the break room where Kim, one of the Grave CSIs and someone I went through the Academy with, is sitting with a folder and a cup of coffee. She looks up at me as I walk in, and I give her a smile.

“Hey, Hailey,” she says softly. “I haven’t seen you in a while. How’ve you been? I heard about your brother’s death, and I’m sorry.”

“Thanks, Kim,” I reply. “Right now, we’re not sure which brother that was. Mac found Tim’s fingerprints at a crime scene tonight. His fresh fingerprints.” She furrowed her eyebrows.

“No wonder the call went out for all of your team. How’re you holding up?” I shrug.

“I’m doing okay. I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much, because this means that someone kidnapped Tim in Miami, dragged him here, and has been holding him for months.”

“Yeah. He may not still be…”

“Exactly.” She frowns.

“I’m sorry.” I shrug.

“It’s okay. I’m not really thinking much about it.”

“Fair enough. Listen, if you need anything, you call me, okay? I’ll be around for a bit. I gotta go right now, though.”

“Of course. Take care, Kim.”

“You too, Hailey.” She walks out, leaving me alone once again.

Back