What the Writers' Strike Means to CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Well. At least people will now have to resort to getting a life to pass the time, right? :p :p :p

2. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Yes, isn't it tragic that it takes something like a strike to drive people into doing actual real-life things. I feel like I've gotten stupider lately, and the parasite is only partly to blame.

In all seriousness, if they did put the WGA and the AMPTP into a room and didn't let them out until they hammered out an agreement, how long do you think that would go on? Without the kittens?

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

You guys keep mentioning books. Those are the thingies with actual pages, right? The ones you turn? How archaic...

:p *loves books*

Well, considering that they've been in negotiations for a while already (several weeks at least, right?) and didn't come to a compromise, it could take quite some time...

Aren't there other contracts running out next year (actors and directors, I want to say, but I could be wrong)--do you think this is a sign of things to come when those negotiations start or not?

4. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

ROTFL!!! :lol: Well, ME for sure couldn't resist. I would agree to whatever just to cuddle with the kittens... :D Ask my bfriend! When we argue he shamelessly pulls out a book of kittens to just shut me up. :lol:

Hard to tell... maybe it won't get that quick after all. I guess I was wrong assuming that, cause Fay gave a VERY good point - nowadays there are lots of reality progs on the schedule and ppl are also quite used to having reruns a lot. Maybe the suits will sit and wait as long as they get what THEY want. Hopefully, all parties come soon their mind.

I would guess, untill the end of the year might be realistic. Just before the holidays there might be a breakthrough (Christmas time... awe... and then the kitties!!! Too much love in the room to ignore! ;) :lol: )

5. Partly

Partly Hit and Run

Just because I've been surfing for news, this article says that the Teamsters are pushing their union members to honor the strike:

If the Teamsters get involved it will have in immediate effect and could shut down some productions right away, rather than having to wait for scripts to run out. Some production people (not writers, but producers and directors and the like) have also said that they would honor the strike. That also would immediately impact some productions. I'm not sure how CSI would fare.

I'm sure that this is a concern. Whatever deal the writer's work out, the other unions/guilds will be looking to capitalize on. The studio's are probably looking at this negotiation as a watershed mark. If they can get their here, they will have a better chance of keeping "what's theirs" when everyone else starts negotiating.

The one good thing about not watching so much live TV, is that I will be able to catch up on my DVDs and recorded shows that I haven't been watching...

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

This conversation hurts my brainmeat. I say we go with the kitten idea. :D

[​IMG]

7. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. :) Resistance is futile. (I hope that the writer who first came up with that line isn't involved in this strike).

Oh - because I completely focussed on the cute kittens, I didn't even notice the caption until after I posted. Here I thought I came up with the "resistance" line on my own. Whoops.

8. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

They even look like they can kick some ass. :lol: The downside to the plan is that both sides might end up being so distracted by the kittens that no agreement is reached at all. :p

9. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Fay, Kimmi, you just completely cracked me up!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Outstanding! I am so in for the major kitten-attack! ROTFL!

10. penguinpie

penguinpie Prime Suspect

I had to do a double-take at the phrase "Teamsters President James P. Hoffa". Hoffa junior apparently. Better hope he doesn't end up like his old man. :)

If the Teamsters go out, as well as other production people, that may nix the reality TV scenario. I'd rather suffer reruns than "Samaritan Kidney Swap".

Maybe if we throw in some puppies with floppy ears as well as the kittens, we could make some progress. Desperate times and all ...

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Just in case you're interested here's an article on how "the federal mediator in the WGA's contract talks has summoned negotiators to a last-ditch meeting, set for 10 a.m. Sunday (Today), in an effort to avoid a writers strike."

The location of the meeting is "being kept under wraps". This may cause some delays with the whole kitten plan.

12. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I think what suck the most about this is the show could end right in the middle of something, maybe not so much CSI, or CSI: NY but if you watch a show like Heroes or Grey’s Anatomy shows that are more character driven their last episode could end in a mini cliff hanger and we’ll never find out the ending or it will take forever to find out what happens. I just hope the networks get off their high horses and pay the writers what they deserver.

Now I don’t know if someone has already ask this but there are shows who’s writers will not take place in the strike, such as Pushing Daises, Without A Trace are those shows going to go on like normal or can their writers not work as well even if they are not striking??

13. Partly

Partly Hit and Run

All writers are striking. In order to be a writer in Hollywood, you need to belong to the Writer's Guild of America. Just as all actors in Hollywood need to belong to the Screen Actors Guild. And all directors in Hollywood need to belong to the Directors Guild of America. I don't believe it's possible to work without being a member of those unions -- I know it's not possible to do so full-time. Any writer is free not to honor the strike, however, that carries with it all sorts of problems for future relationships with both future employers and other writer's. Striking is always a very serious decision.

What interesting is that the group that the WGA is negotiating with is basically a union, too -- it's the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers (AMPTP). While they call themselves an "alliance" and the writers call themselves a 'guild', they are both union-type organizations.

14. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Awesome thread and opening post, Top! This is something that will impact CSI:NY and all scripted shows. Thanks for laying it out there for everyone. I'm sure come tomorrow a lot of people will be wondering how the strike will effect their favorite shows.

15. snowbird

snowbird Witness

Yeah, you definitely made it more understandable. From what I had been hearing I only thought it was the writers for the live shows (SNL, and late night tv).