What should happen to Mac? *Cold Reveal spoilers*

Top41

Administrator
Administrator
Premium Member
We've now seen what happened with Mac and Dobson on the roof after Mac holstered his gun. Obviously (and I think most drew this conclusion anyway), Mac didn't push Dobson. But by holstering his gun--instead of keeping it trained on Dobson and waiting for back up--he gave Dobson the means to frame him. Dobson most likely wouldn't have come at him if Mac hadn't put away his gun, but Mac doing so allowed Dobson to scuffle with him and then set him up with the handcuffs.

So while he didn't push Dobson, Mac isn't blameless. Do you think that's why he's so opposed to an internal investigation, or does he really believe he's above the law and shouldn't be investigated? Or is that just a gut reaction to the inquiry? What do you think the consequences--if any--should and/or will be?

I think my gorgeous and sexy Mac is mad because he is a great and reputable detective who has saved countless of life and is being investigated for the murder of a rapist, that is the reason he is mad.
He is so sexy when he is mad.

Great questions, Top. And I've thought alot about the Mac situation, too.

On the one hand, yes Mac is partly to blame for what Dobson did. Did he honestly think that Dobson would simply back down and allow himself to be quietly led away? Did he think that by holstering his gun in response to Dobson's complaint that he was unarmed would earn Brownie Points with Dobson and suddenly he'd be repentent? Or that his actions would somehow earn Dobson's last minute respect - honor amongst thieves, etc.? I couldn't tell if Mac had actually anticipated Dobson coming at him and wrestling it out and Mac actually wanted it, or if he honestly (and niavely) thought that putting his gun away/making himself "equal" with Dobson would somehow spur Dobson to allow himself to be meekly led away in cuffs. I guess I'd have to watch it again to be certain, but if Mac had expected/welcomed the fight, then honestly, shame on him, he should know better; it's not worth losing his badge over certainly, but he should know better.

As far as his reaction to the inquiry, I honestly think it's more initial gut reaction than anything else. For a guy who's always espousing the benefits of going strictly by the evidence and ignoring the emotional, he certainly does go by his gut reactions alot, doesn't he? He does make an honest effort to go strictly by the book/evidence etc., but since the beginning of S1, he has allowed himself to be led by his emotions time and time again. It's partly (IMO) disbelief that anyone who knows him and his record could honestly think him capable of such an action, and he's incensed by it. He knows that despite his culpability in Dobson's fall by holstering his own gun, ultimately he's innocent of pushing Dobson - and he's outraged that anyone, especially his colleagues, would suspect differently. Never mind the fact that Mac went tooth-and-nail after Truby, in Mac's rather one-track mind, *Truby was Dirty, therefore deserved to have people not believe in him/take him down. Mac is Innocent, therefore deserves to have people believe in him/not want to take him down.* He's seeing it too black & white for his own good. I don't think he fancies himself above the law, but in this particular case, I think he fancies himself above investigation, for the simple fact that he knows he's innocent. Guilty of godawful judgement, but innocent of the crime. Making it out as a political backlash makes him feel better. I think just the opposite; let the facts speak for themselves, prove his innocence in the accused crime, and put it to rest for once and for all in the minds of both his colleages and the public. If he doesn't officially get investigated and proven innocent, then there will always be some who suspect a cover-up, or his guilt. I think eventually Mac will come to this realization too, but right now, he's allowing his emotions to rule him, despite himself.

At any rate, great storyline!

^I agree completely. I think Mac's reaction is basically, "I didn't do this, you know me, I would never do something like this." He thinks his record and integrity speak for themselves. And they do, to some extent. But then, what about Aiden who only contemplated planting evidence, but didn't actually do it? Or Danny, who was so earnest and desperate to defend himself after the subway shootout? Mac didn't really cut either of them any slack, despite the fact that both were honest and credible in the same way Mac is. At the very least, Mac is kind of getting a taste of his own medicine.

As for Dobson, I do think Mac expected a fight. He didn't put away his gun thinking Dobson would go along meekly with him. I think Dobson pissed him off to the point where he wanted a fight, especially after seeing the girl Dobson tortured. Mac's actions are understandable, and human (and made me like him more because of that), but in the eyes of the police department, wrong.

I think that Mac is pissed off because he feels that his word should be good enough for the Police Department. What he doesn't seem to realize is that his word alone isn't good enough for the general public.

The other two cops, they know how it's looking to the public...it's not just media pressure that's making them want an inquiry into the incident.

If this was a civilian incident, two men running onto a roof, one ending up dead on the ground, Mac would be the first one to insist on evidence to corroborate the survivors story.

I'm guessing that the grieving father at the end might have changed Mac's mind a bit. Maybe now he realizes that the public need answers and that he can't just rely on his reputation and his word.

I strongly disliked “Cold Reveal,” because I felt it put Mac too far over the line. I could see Mac being angry that there is an investigation, angry that anyone is questioning him without regard to his track record, and angry at himself for letting Dobson get to him. But I would expect Mac to at least be able to see why an investigation was necessary and to understand the politics of the situation even if he didn't agree with it. He went from being a flawed character I rooted for to an egotistical prick I wanted to see taken down.

That bothers me. I think it's good to have depth to the main character and have the audience not always like him. The danger in going too far is having an audience who can no longer respect the character and see the greater good beyond his flaws. It doesn't make sense for this show to make Mac a character the audience can't respect despite his flaws, and that's what this episode made me start to feel. I hope the encounter with the father at the end will reel Mac back in a bit. He can still be indignant, angry, and sanctimonious and clash with higher ups; but for me he needs to also be the Mac that is aware of and understands "the game" even if he doesn't agree with or always play along with it.

As for what should happen to Mac, that depends. If the story continues where Mac is oblivious to why people are questioning him and investigating Dobson's death then I'd like to see Mac get demoted. If he's not demoted, I'd like to see it bring back the tension between Mac and Danny. How is Danny supposed to look up to and respect the boss who took him off the promotional grid in OTJ if Mac doesn't accept that he isn't above reproach in the Dobson case? I'd also like to see Flack lose respect and willingness to be a team player. If they end up reeling Mac back in, then I'd like to see Mac and Flack end up with a stronger bond/mutual respect even though they are vastly different in their approach and opinions of things. I'd also like to see Mac put Danny back on the promotional grid since he should now understand more why Danny did what he did in OTJ. And it would be a bonus to have Mac look back at what happened with Aiden, and maybe see a little more grey area even though he wouldn’t change his decision.

ETA: I'd also like to see Mac take another look at Dobson's victims and go over the cases again in an attempt to find the missing women's bodies.

I think Mac is acting from his gut. He's opposed to the investigation on principle. He has a long record of distinguished service and likely finds it offensive that anyone would question his conduct.

His actions are hypocritical in light of how he treated both Aidan and Danny when they found themselves professionally challenged. Plus, there is his willingness to go after Truby. He does believe cops who have done wrong should be punished, yet is oddly resistent to investigation of his own conduct. However, I like this story line and think it adds another dimension to the character. The righteous guy who always walks the straight and narrow and can do no wrong is boring. Flawed heroes are infinitely more engaging.

I think that Mac is pissed off because he feels that his word should be good enough for the Police Department. What he doesn't seem to realize is that his word alone isn't good enough for the general public.

Exactly! I do think Mac will ultimately realize that his colleagues believe in him, but there's simply no reason for the general public to do so, and that's the crux of the matter. I think he came to that realization, during the episode with the father at the end. Mac was shaken pretty bad, and not just from having a gun in his face. It hit him hard, realizing that the father actually believed he was fully culpable in Dobson's death, and held him responsible for it - and for robbing him of his chance at closure.

And I do see how a viewer can feel like they took Mac too far and come dangerously close to crossing the line of future likability. I feel that way about how the Vegas CSI handled Grissom; a Boss having a Secret Affair with a Subordinate? IMO, that's morally reprehensible and professionally pathetic. They robbed him of every ounce of integrity & crossed the line Big Time with his character, and forever lowered him in my eyes. He wins the Sleazball Boss of the Year Award.

I don't feel that way about Mac, however. Yes, he acted selfishly and self-righteously. But once again, I see it as an "in-the-moment" gut reaction, and I think that might be a part of what he gets out of the entire affair - realizing how much he actually does follow his gut reactions, despite his insistence that he doesn't. If anything, it'll make him more open to people like Danny, who is rather obviously ruled by his emotions. And hopefully it will strengthen the bonds beteen he and Flack, since Mac will surely be more empathetic to the uncomfortable situtation he put Flack in with Truby, after experiencing it himself. I see this storyline as the beginning of a huge growing experience with Mac, and if anything, we'll see his character examining his emotions alot more in the future.

Back