What Makes A Good Boss/Employee/Employer

Jacquie

Ward Girl
So I got to wondering what in your opinion makes a good boss, employee or employer.

I think all of us start our work life out as an employee. Then we get to that next magical step the boss. Then over time we may be fortunate to own our own business.

These opinions may be what you hope for in a future boss, employee or employer or they may be what you see in yourself. What makes you a good employee, boss or employer.

Lets keep the rants about our bosses, employees, or employers out of this thread. If you have a rant please go to the rant thread.

There are several qualities I appreciate in a boss-
Having clear expectations of their subordinates positions and duties, and providing the tools they need to complete those (everything from training to supervision to post-it notes)
Good boundaries. I like being friendly with my bosses without feeling obligated to be their friend (that sounds awful but I think you know what I mean)
Fair and accurate performance reviews. I can't address my weak areas if you don't help me identify them, but I like a good pat on the back too.

Employee: On time, professional, polite, willing to take suggestions to become better at the job.

Boss: Can give praise as well a CONSTRUCTIVE critiism, professional, fair.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of now but I might come up with more later.

Last edited:
Employee: Professional, on time, polite, willing to take criticism but also knowing when they are doing a satisfactory job and to rule out nitpicking, able to communicate with others (settling disputes, for example).

Boss: GOOD manager, able to be professional, fair and a GOOD motivator, but also willing to give consequences to actions/discipline when needed. Wanna be a good boss? DON'T be like mine.

BOSS A good listener, and seeing all sides of all issues, and giving people more than one chance when reprimanded~

EMPLOYEE A good listener, and being on time, doing you job correctly, and courteous to everyone, especially customers, [I'm in retail sales]~

EMPLOYER Loyality to your company, never bad mouth them, or complain~

An employee should be reliable, friendly, trustworthy, and a good communicator. They should also be able to handle constructive critism as already mentioned.

A boss should be friendly, trustworthy, understanding, a motivator, and someone who sets a good example for their employees. They should also be a good communicator and listener.

I'm in a school system that cares about it's employees so much. Every workshop I go to, I am very welcomed and people call me by my first name. The last one I went to, the presenter patted my back and gave me a very welcoming hello. Since it's a pretty small system people know each other better and are friendly.

My boss is amazing. I absolutely love where I am working because I feel safe, cared for and listened to. I feel like I can go to my boss when I have a problem and we'll work together to fix it. Where I work I am very supported. Rules are set and expected to be followed. I'm not saying I'm perfect, because I have done things wrong. Where I work, my boss will sit you down and tell you what you did wrong and in a nice way, make sure it gets fixed.

As an employee I am expected to dress professionally, turn things in on time, be at work early or right on time, make sure I am doing what I am supposed to be doing when it comes to teaching, keep in contact with parents as well as many other things.

The biggest thing you can do as an employee, employer or boss is to show respect and follow rules. Things will fall into place after that.

I'll judge by my previous experience with a bad boss.

I prefer a boss who can be respectful, flexible and geniune.

I like working for someone who gives me constructive feedback and not personal attacks on me as a person.

That's what makes a good boss. Respect, honesty, constructive and helpful.

I like a boss who is fair, cares about your performance, gives feedback; good or bad, and knows how to enjoy work.

A good employee should be reliable, not lazy, on time to work, respects peers and management and accepts changes.

When it comes to employer, I think of the company I am working for and what benefits they have like health insurance, 401 k plan, and other benefits.

I'm lucky to have all that with my current employer.

I'm only 26 and I've only had one supervisor, but from what I understand this isn't how to do things....

I work for a government agency and I won't say what department, but I'll tell you what's NOT good in a supervisor, because unfortunately, mine has/does all of these:
1. Micromanaging - let us do our jobs. You can harp when we're not, but when we're closing 30-50 cases per person in an office with only 10 when we should have closer to 14, chill.

2. Know your job and more importantly, know how to do ours - In my agency my supervisor used to be one of 'us' lowly field personnel who did all the grunt work of the agency, but since coming out of the field 20 years ago, she's lost touch with what's required to do our job, how to enforce what we enforce, and doesn't know how to do her job as a supervisor. Passing off your duties as a supervisor to the acting supervisor when you're out of town does not constitute good managing. Leaving all the difficult and convoluted reports to your 'stand-ins' and only reviewing reports that are quick and easy, commonly only taking 15 minutes to read and review is irresponsible, cowardly, and unfair. Do your job.

3. Not being assertive and make decisions - Be decisive. Don't be afraid to make a decision and have to check every little thing with your boss because you're afraid of your own shadow. You're paid to make the tough calls for a reason.

4. Lack of spine - We as your employees come in, do the work, assignments and paperwork, and we're expected to produce. We go to bat for you. Conversely you should do the same for us.

5. Lack of standards across the board - Don't tell one person one thing and when someone else asks the same question, give a different answer. Be consist. When it comes to annual evaluations, don't just tell me what I'm doing right and wrong, tell me what I need to do in order to improve my rating. Cite specific examples and be open to suggestions from me and other employees regarding your performance. Listen to us when several people tell you something you're doing is wrong or completely out of left field. It shouldn't go in one ear and out the other.

Wow, if you haven't figured out, most of this was venting, but it's valid to the discussion. I've worked one 'office' job so far in my career, hopefully only one, but I've learned real quick what a supervisor is NOT and everything I mentioned above, my boss has done/not done or said/not said.

Boss: Good listener, understanding, helpful, knowledgable

Employee- hardworking, willing to go the extra inch

employer- fair

Well since we are an employer and a boss this is what we look for in an employee and not necessarily in the order that is listed.

-don't lie in an interview because if we hire you we will find out very quickly if you do

-don't be late for work. If you shift is schedule to start at 3 that means be in the store before 3 and be ready to be on the floor at 3.

-if you aren't sure of how to do something ask. We've never fired someone who ask how to do something but we have fired people if you don't ask. This seems to happen to young men more than to young women.

-listen to how we want something done. If you can come up with a better way of doing something we will listen but remember this is our business.

-the ability to work on your own without a lot of supervision.

A boss should not be cruel and unappreciative. I found that as an employee my boss had this mentality of "I pay you, so I can say or do whatever." It really bothered many of the employees and they couldn't handle the harsh regime and left. Everytime I do something, I never hear a thank you. It's like my work is never acknowledged, it bothers me.

Back