What is everyones favorite genre?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hatal, May 21, 2011.

1. Hatal

Hatal Victim

It may seem like a weird question, but it just popped into my head recently after a conversation with my friend. He recommended me a fantasy book which I was reluctant to read it at first since, well, it is a fantasy book...Generally i dont like fantasy stories, shows, movies or anything like that...I prefer guns when it comes to action, swords just feel so cheesy to me.

So, it had me thinking, the main genre I love is Sci-fi (was upset when SG:U got canceled), I'll generally watch anything sci-fi and enjoy it no matter how bad or cheesy it is...Which got me thinking, what is your main genre and do you ever deviate from it? The book my friend recommended to me is called Drylor The First Artifact and it is actually the first fantasy thing I actually enjoy, it just feels new to me not some wanna-be-Tolkein author.

So, yeah, I'm curious what genre everyone enjoys the most and have you ever had something like Drylor was for me that was a refreshing change in a genre you don't normally like?

2. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I like Mysteries and Crime.

(I think this should actually be in the Media thread)

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well kind of tricky where it belongs. Books here, tv and movies to Gen T&media. I thought this is more about books. And I don't think Beesy or shazza gets mad if we keep this one.

And I'd have to with crime as well,tho I read very little other than Donald Duck comics and exambooks

4. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

I like Crime, Horrors and Gore stuff mainly zombies and vampires

5. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

My fav genres are sci-fi, fantasy, drama, mystery, crime, adventure

6. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Science Fiction especially anything from Anne McCaffrey, what our library classifies as thriller (Clive Cussler, James Patterson, Jack Higgins), and I'll read any nonfiction about astronomy and space.

Susan

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  7. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

What I like sort of depends on the medium. For reading, I like sci-fi and fantasy (and the occasional trashy romance for mind-numbing fun :)). TV, I like a lot of crime shows and some comedy. Movies, more action/adventure. Pretty much the only thing I don't like is dark/thriller stuff - I don't mind gore (it's usually pointless, but doesn't bother me), but I don't like the psychological terror aspect.

8. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

For books, I love horror. As a kid I would read the R. L. Stein books for teens (I read a handful of Goosebumps books, but quickly moved on to the next level up finding the others too short and simple, I'm a very fast reader, and I'd finish the Goosebumps books in an hour tops). From there I went on to a variety of other horror type authors, and eventually settled onto Stephen King's work when I was 14. His horror I find very different than most other I've read... sure there's a few that are typical pulp horror fiction... but the rest not so much. I enjoy the psychological horror aspect of his novels... that I find few other authors have managed to truly capture.

I also really enjoy medical stories. I was the weird kid buying books at the school book fair called "Is My Sister Dying?" (a girl who's older sister's kidneys are failing, and she needs a transplant) or "Baby Alecia Is Dying" (a teen who volunteers somewhere and one of the patients is an infant/toddler who has HIV and later AIDS) and a few books about people going through the undiagnosed symptoms of bipolar or other mental disorders. Now I don't so much look for the fictional aspect in medical books... I actually just buy books about various medical conditions/practices/research. Most recently I bought one called "The Other Brain".

I also enjoy science fiction to an extent. If, and only if, it is within the realm of scientifically possible. I've enjoyed reading the Star Trek books my husband has, because for the most part, they are accurate (some stuff might be off, but it's usually off only because the book was published at a time when information known didn't exclude that possibility).

I also just enjoy science non fiction. I'm a geek, what can I say?

I do NOT like fantasy/historical fiction/romance/comedy/action.

Also, my taste in books tends to parallel my taste in TV and even video games. If I took a snapshot of my video game library and put it next to my fiction library... there'd be a lot of similar themes. Again, I love psychological thrillers most of all (This is why I love Silent Hill much more than I do Resident Evil... in Silent Hill, it's not about the startle factor of having a zombie/monster jump out at you... it's about the build up of fear from the remnants of the massacre on the ground in front of you while there is silence and just fog surrounding you). That's not to say I don't love your average horror game... even your average gore game (Heck... I pre-ordered the special edition of GTA4).

But the long and short of it is... I love psychological thrillers. I love stuff that makes you think and analyse and re-analyse everything you thought you understood.

9. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

For reading, I like crime, mistery and noir; Movie and TV, I don't have a favorite genre, I like a bit of everything.

10. Raveyn Zayra

Raveyn Zayra Witness

I mainly read sci-fi and fantasy, but if something that isn't in those two genres interests me I'll usually read it.

11. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

I also forgot about Comedy *smacks head * how could i forget comedy and even adult humor as well jeez and i lay the blame with HC for giving me an overload that i forget comedy darn it