What do you think about CSI and Crime?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by lollie, Jan 4, 2008.

1. lollie

lollie Civilian

Hi im doing my A level media studies piece on CSI and how it may or may not have changed peoples views on crime. Do you think that by watching show like this you are more aware of crime, or that it has affected your views on crime in any way?
    thanks

2. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

No. In what way would it change my views?

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Just reading the daily newspaper or watching the local or national news stories makes me aware of crimes. Also working late night shifts and twice having guns shown to me in robberies also makes me aware of them. The CSI shows gives me some insight into how major cases are being handled, even though some shortcuts are made in the shows to tell a story in about 45 minutes. But I have been watching crime solving shows with police and private detectives since the early 60's and have learned a thing or two along the way. What these shows might be doing is to teach criminals to try to avoid being caught. But since they are stupid enough to commit the crimes in the first place, they are probably stupid enough to slip up along the way. Just my opinion.

4. lollie

lollie Civilian

I just mean by watching shows like CSI do you think that you are more aware of crime, have higher expectantions of the police, detective and forensic service's? Do you think shows like these gove people ideas, or do you believe it is purely entertainment? Just your opinion.

5. CSISneaky

CSISneaky Police Officer

I don't think it gives people ideas coz most of the time the crims get caught so they won't wanna try lol. Its purely entertainment i think for the majority. Also for me its made me more aware of how we leave fingerprints and DNA etc. everywhere all the time and we don't even realise, kinda shocking :lol:
    :)

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I've read interviews and such by law enforcement, DA's, etc. They think it does help criminals somewhat. They may be able to get away with some crimes they wouldn't have before, but at the same time makes the criminal screw up too.

They also think that juries are now expecting a lot of forensic evidence and that just doesn't happen all the time.

So I think with CSI and Court TV (TruTV) the general public has more expectations the we did before. The shows make it seem it's really easy to catch the criminal, so I think some people have higher expectations of the law. I don't, because I know it takes a lot to convict someone. They don't confess as easily as they do on tv. And the defense attornies will do anything to get their client off, including suppressing evidence.

But I watch CSI for the entertainment and I learn a little too. People also (because not all do) need to remember that CSI and other crime shows are just a show and these shows do use creative licenses.

7. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I've always been aware of crime as it's everywhere on the news. However, I've always been aware that CSI and other shows of the likes are just television. I used to watch a lot of detective shows when I was little, but I never thought any of it was real life. I'm realistic. And I have an aunt two uncles who are policemen.

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

since this deals more with the real life aspect of crime and forensics, im going to move this to the forensics forum.

9. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I’m a psychology student and I can tell you now that, in varying levels, TV does influence our perception of crime.

Its not just CSI; the news, books, video games all numb the horror and magnitude of crime. It glorifies it in a way which makes us stop ‘feeling’ in a way. People read books about abuse victims, and watch shows about murders and they stop feeling empathy for the victims because they are over exposed to it. When was the last time you watched an episode of CSI and felt true empathy for the victim?

I know it’s only a TV show, but it’s designed to reflect real life (in a way) with regards to the fact crimes like this actually do occur. It can take away from that.

However, I also think crime shows can positively affect people. When the shows show the ‘correct way’ to handle thing at a scene, it can be beneficial to the viewers. Like how not to panic if cornered by an assailant, how to make sure someone knows something is wrong if you’re being attacked. Little things like that can be picked up and learnt subconsciously though repeated viewing of shows. Even if you’re not aware you know them, your brain would be able to pick out things to help you if ever placed into a situation like that.

It also reinforces belief in police departments and the justice system. If we are continually bombarded with images of people reposting rapes, and officers solving murders, we begin to believe if it ever happened to us, someone would most certainly help.

Truthfully, I’m here to say yes, TV (CSI, with regards to your original question) does affect my, and others, perception of crime.

Hope that helped you somewhat.