Veterans Day

Calihan

Captain
For veterans day I thought that there should be a thread for veterans and to honor them.

This is a fact I learned the other day that I think you all should keep in mind.

25% of veterans are homeless.

Yes, and the majority arn't getting the appropriate medical and psychological help they need.

It's sad.

it is remembrance day here in canada, which is celebrated by all the allies from WW1..we wear poppies as a symbol of remembrance. This is a famous poem written by a canadian during WW1

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
— John McCrae

Rememberance Day is a very important holiday for me. Because of my devotion to history, the things I read about soldiers in WWI & WWII are absolutely heartwrenching. I think of the families who were left to carry on, and the bravery of those men and women who fell in the line off duty. They did it for us, so we wouldn't have to fight anymore. So we could have our freedom.

I'm proud to wear my poppy today, to honor the veterans and those who couldn't make it home.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

- Laurence Bunyon, For The Fallen

When I was going to school in Toronto, Remembrance Day was a holiday. We would go down to Old City Hall for the service at 11am. In elementary school Remembrance Day really didn't mean much to me but in high school I took history and Remembrance Day became more meaningful. Schools here no longer have the day off but I get the feeling that the children haven't forgotten the Day particularly with Canada's involvement in Afghanistan. I think we need to thank all those men and women who gave their lives so we can live freely today no matter what war or conflict they lost theirs lives in.

Veterans come in all ages too. We tend to think of a Veteran as someone who is our parent age or who served in One of the two World Wars.

Veterans serve this country every day.

Here is to you, to all of you who defend our country!

God bless all are Veterans, they so deserve it, and to all our soilders over there, the same, and may you all come home soon ;)

Calihan said:
25% of veterans are homeless.

Meaning US veterans.

My grandpas were veterans both. The one who lived with us was even prisoner in Siberia for 6 months. In my town veteranbook, there is his story (almost every town has own veteran book where is soldiers (also those who died) from 1918 war and Winter War & Continious War (sp?)

Here veterans have got quite good services, except perhaps those who didn't get any injuries. In fact I live 50m from building, where is veterans and possible their wives and where's activities for them. Swimming, groups and stuff.
So I saw 'em walking around there now and them

Back