These Are a Few of my Favourite Things...

Finch

Funnier in Enochian
Super Moderator
Since we do have quite a bit of heavy discussion concerning the show, (which is awesome) I wanted to start a topic to lighten it up a bit and balance things out.

What are your favourite things about CSI:Miami? Or perhaps you have a favourite moment that really made you think? You can say as many as you'd like and please develop your thoughts. :D I know, for some it might be hard (lol) but that's the challenge!

One of my favourite things about the show is (at times) the cinematography. Although a bit bright, they [those involved with the show] seem to really make cinematography quite the art form on this show. The wide-angles, composition and vibrancy really does make the city 'pop' and creates that escapism feel. So kudos to them on that, even if I don't always like why they show Miami this way and could stand to tone it down sometimes. But I can appreciate how they achieve the look and feel of the show.

Another thing I like about the show is how different in style it is from the other CSIs and other shows, at least in my view. I can surf any channel and recognize that it's CSI:Miami.

With this, I'll add my favourite moment. The end scene from 'Witness to Murder' had to be one of the most emotional scenes for the show and probably the most well-played out. It didn't need to be flashy, action-packed or full of complicated words. Horatio giving Eugene his badge and saying he was proud of him was so simple and un-patronizing to the audience. It was what it was and it gave resolution to a memorable character.

So, what are your thoughts? Or did I just totally kill this topic the moment I said 'favourite things' and 'CSI:Miami' in the same sentence? :p

Last edited:
This show had/has many good qualities.

"Back in the day..."
In the early days of CSI:Miami (think 1-3) the show was full of snarky one liners and the writing was really witty.

The storylines were also amazing. They had deep and touching moments (like the one Geni has already mentioned) and were very believable.

The Present
Right now, my favorite things about CSI:Miami are the relatonships between the co-workers (Not in a shippery sense :p). That and the character development of the main characters.

You have Horatio, who's not only the boss of the lab, but also the backbone. He's the.. the. Toto to my Dorothy :lol:.

Then there is Calleigh, this past season she's really let go of the hard and edgy Calleigh we saw in season 4/5 and really tried to be more light hearted and friendly. Her blooming relationship with Eric might have helped with that.

Eric, our playboy of the group has really turned a new leaf ever since his shooting, and he's really trying hard to grow up and be a man.

Ryan, the one who replaced a beloved member of our group, has changed a lot this season. He opened the season as a former CSI fighting to get his job back. Then we got him back and he was quieter, not as friendly, closed off. Then we come to the end of the season to see that, something's up with or former New Kid On The Block.

Natalia has changed too. She's a full-fledged CSI now, with all the powers that entails, and she's passed her firearms test, and gets to carry.

I also agree with Geni about the Cinematography. At first I was like "WAIT A SECOND" when they went from the darker tones to the beach flavored colors, but now I like it. It makes making icons easier.

I have very few bones to pick with the show. I'm not a disgruntled fan at all. Pretty much the opposite. :) The only thing that worries me is anything really bad happening to my favorite characters. I want a happy ending with this show when it is the finale of the series itself.

Hurricane Anthony was one of the first episodes I saw of CSI:M., in fact it might have even been the first one. I really liked the compassion H showed toward the guy who fell backward and was impaled on the fence. It was like he knew the guy was not going to make it and he just tried to keep him as comfortable as possible by talking to him.

I like H holding his gun. Yeah, I also like the real badass Dirty Harry H. I like H in the labcoat. I'd like H holding his gun while wearing the labcoat. :drool:

I like Rick Stetler in a nice suit and a nice tie, like what he wore in Ambush and Down to the Wire. This man looks gooood in a tie. :drool:

Last edited:
I have to admit, I love seeing Rick Stetler walking into a scene. You just know that something is going to happen when he's in the scene. Especially with Horatio, Ryan, or Calleigh. But ESPECIALLY with Horatio. He did steal his girl, afterall.

Horatio in a lab coat. Check. Ryan in a lab coat. Check. Calleigh firing a gun. Check. Eric in Scuba Gear. Check and Check.

These are few more of my favorite things. :lol:

I have to admit, I love seeing Rick Stetler walking into a scene. You just know that something is going to happen when he's in the scene. Especially with Horatio, Ryan, or Calleigh. But ESPECIALLY with Horatio. He did steal his girl, afterall.

Did he steal Yelina? Horatio kinda snoozed and loozed, which allowed Rick to get involved with Yelina. OK, I have to get slashy-shippy for a sec here, but when Rick first shows up in Blood Brothers, he walks up to H and he's kind of like trying to impress him by telling him that he just made a lateral move up in the dept. and H responds by being really rude to him. Then Rick does this big sigh, looks at Yelina, and decides to get back at H by pretending to be interested in dating her. This is what I see when I watch that scene. Rick may or may not ever have really been interested in Yelina. Horatio's the one he's really interested in.

Horatio in a lab coat. Check. Ryan in a lab coat. Check. Calleigh firing a gun. Check. Eric in Scuba Gear. Check and Check.

And those are all good!

Did he steal Yelina? Horatio kinda snoozed and loozed, which allowed Rick to get involved with Yelina. OK, I have to get slashy-shippy for a sec here, but when Rick first shows up in Blood Brothers, he walks up to H and he's kind of like trying to impress him by telling him that he just made a lateral move up in the dept. and H responds by being really rude to him. Then Rick does this big sigh, looks at Yelina, and decides to get back at H by pretending to be interested in dating her. This is what I see when I watch that scene. Rick may or may not ever have really been interested in Yelina. Horatio's the one he's really interested in.

And those are all good!

The entire episode of “Witness to Murder” is my ultimate favourite moment of CSI Miami. It was an episode that gave us so much depth to the Horatio Caine character. Compassion, empathy, sensitivity, drive, passion, and so on. For me this episode helped me understand the deeper more personal nature of the Horatio Caine character far more than any other episode.

“Body Count” was another favourite moment of mine in CSI Miami, because it again showed me so much depth to the Caine character, but this time from a professional POV. The ending of this episode told me that, despite Horatio’s personal desire to let go of Otis and let him fall to his death, the job and all that entails, as well as his own reasons for doing the job that he does, forced him to allow the system to ultimately inflict whatever punishment it deemed justifiable onto Otis.

“Blood Brothers” is another favourite moment of mine, because throughout this episode Horatio was taunted by a criminal who had freely admitted his guilt but because of red-tape Horatio was unable to bring this criminal to justice, and yet, instead of initiating some way in which he could take out the Cruz brothers without anyone being witness to it, Horatio instead let territorial laws bring at least one of them to justice.

“Hurricane Anthony” was another favourite CSI moment, because we saw apologetic Horatio. In this episode Horatio immediately jumped on the Brother as being a suspect and like a dog gnawing on a bone, he would not let go until he was proven otherwise. The best moment for me in the entire episode was right at the end, because at the end of the episode Horatio was man enough to admit his mistake, to offer up an apology to the Brother and hope that there were no hard feelings.

And my last favourite moment of CSI Miami was “Under Suspicion” because in this episode Horatio had to rely on the same justice system he had sworn to uphold to prove his innocence in a murder case. This episode showed me just how deeply Horatio believed in the justice system, how much he believed in his team, and most importantly how he believed that the ultimate truth would set him free.

So, anyway, all of these are my favourite moments of CSI Miami, but they are also the ones that upset me the most when I think of how CSI Miami is today *sniffle*

:)

Oh Gosh, this is difficult and challenging... What I like about CSI:Miami?

I have to say, first time I saw the show I felt in love with Calleigh Duquesne character. She is beautiful, professional, she has this beautiful smile but as soon as she gets angry, you better get off her. :guffaw:Then I began to get interested in the other characters, the early Horatio Caine was fantastic, even now that I can't stand some of his acts I'm still stunned by his charm.
I love the crime, I watched CSI: LV before, crime and science really captivate me, maybe this is one of the reason I study physics now.

Miami is the most important character of the show, a city I would like to visit because it's so alive, full of different cultures...then it's so sunny, like my Italy. This is absolutely the reason why I started to prefer CSI:Miami to the others: the sun, CSI is too dark for me.

I have a lot of favorite moments: above all my favorite episodes are Under the influence and All in.
I love the moment when Calleigh is talking to Emma in the end of Backstabbers, she just kneels there, in front of the child and there is no badge, no gun that can make you feel more protected than her smile does.
I love the moment of Hurrican Antony when Eric, Speed and Cal are in the break room and Speed says Calleigh is way too cheerful, it represented everything the team was before Speed's death. I think that the final scene of The curse of a coffin is similar, the team friendly discussing after a case. I like that episode, really hilarious.

Wonderful thread, it's a really good idea!

Like HnStetlerfan I have very few complaints about the show.

The only complaint I could have is shippy and you guys can all probably guess what it's about. That they dragged out Horatio and Yelina for too long. I know shows tend to try to prolong inevitable romances but in this case dragged it out too long. Get them together already!

But I digress what I like about Miami?

The action, the guns, the shootouts, the explosions, hey I'm an action flick kinda gal.

I like the cinematography too. The opening scene of 'Rio' wasn't that beautiful? And as mentioned you can always tell it's Miami cos of the lighting. It's bright and vibrant and I like it.

I like the actors. :lol: H is just hot! :drool: Everytime he pulls out his gun my heart races. Everytime he comes on-screen my heart races. The guy is such a turn on. And the fact that he's potrayed as such a cool guy, even better. You know the sunnies the dark-coloured suits, the way he walks, talks, I know it annoyssome people but I like it. And I love that he's got this angry streak in him too. So you see I don't mind dark-H. H in the lab, H in a labcoat.

The same with Ryan. :drool: He's jsut so cute. They're my weekly eye candy, H and Ryan, I can't do without.

Favourite episodes, I have many, 'Hurricane Anthony', 'Whacked', '10-7', 'Under suspicion', 'Curse of the Coffin', 'Burned', 'Ambush', 'All In', the post-strike episodes were good.

It's still my fave show, my addiction. What can I say I love CSI:Miami.

The first CSI:Miami episode I watched was "Dispo Day".
At first I didn't like the idea of a spin-off (Yep my first love was CSI:LV) but when I watched that episode I fell in love w/ this show.

For the first time I saw the real team spirit w/ people who actually were friends also otuside the lab. (Tim & Eric went to the same club in "Tinder Box").

People were happy especially Calleigh who was always cheerful & was able to find something positive also from the worst scenarios possible:)."Hurricane Anthony" for me was the best example ever. I won't forget that dialogue w/ Tim & Eric.

When a person had a problem, the other members of the team were always there for him/her especially their boss Horatio who had such a great humanity (something that right now I miss :( ).
He was there for his family, he was there for his friends and he was there for people (especially children or that poor guy of "Witness to a Murder) who were having difficult times in their lives.
I loved touchy endings especially the one from "Wtiness to a Murder", "Under the Influence" and a lot of others throughout the seasons.

Another thing I loved was the scientific part, the forensic one. I love this stuff. Although I'm not studying science at University...I love crime shows and I love to try to find out who the killer was in a show like CSI.

Now the situation changed a lot but I still can find some things I love of the show.

-Cinematography as Geni mentioned. I think CSI:Miami has the best cinematography among the CSI:Franchise:cool:

-Acting. Although certain storylines are a litte bit awuful & unrealistc this show has very good actors especially Emily Procter & Khandi Alexander who are able to play their character in such a realistic way that also the most unrealistic situations sound & look realistic with their acting.

-Phycological growth. Throughout the seasons especially the last two our fav. character changed a lot.
Eric is a lot more mature than he was in the first three season. He changed a lot because of both his relationship w/ Natalia and his brain injury.
Natalia was too emotional plus she was the mole. Now she's a very good CSI & also because of her gun she looks a lot stronger than she was before.
Ryan was a little immature boy. Now after he was rehired you can see he changed a lot especially when Alexx said goodbye to her family.
Calleigh was such a cute and cheerful girl who always had fun. Now she's such a mature woman. I think she was the one who had the biggest changes ever in her life. She's a completely different woman especially after her last year.

I don't have a fav. moment cause there were a lot of moments I loved & I love that I'm not able to make a list of them
As for the fav.episodes ever I'd say
-Dispo Day ( I will never forget it:lol:)
-Hurricane Anthony (the ending was amazing)
-Innocent (that ending was lovely)
-Lost Son
-Under the Influence (Ryan's arrival & the whole story of Calleigh's father was fantastic)
-Curse of the Coffin (the last episode w/ the real team spirit)
-Bang Bang Your Debt (Speedle's story)
-All In (the kidnapping part)
-Rock and a Hard Place (the whole episode was so touchy)

The entire episode of “Witness to Murder” is my ultimate favourite moment of CSI Miami. It was an episode that gave us so much depth to the Horatio Caine character. Compassion, empathy, sensitivity, drive, passion, and so on. For me this episode helped me understand the deeper more personal nature of the Horatio Caine character far more than any other episode.

Agreed. I also liked Wannabe a lot. It gave us a chance to see someone get under Speed's skin and then have them be liked by him... kinda. :lol:

OK, since I watched "Hell Night" on A&E a few nights ago, I'm going to add another favorite scene and what it is, is that part at the end when Rick comes to pick Yelina up. I was reminded that David Lee Smith doesn't only look good in a nice tie, but also in loose, yet clingy casual clothing as well. Oh. My. God. :drool: :devil: :drool:

Ok - the 1st thing that comes to my mind is Shootout. Ryan holding the baby = :drool:

Season 3 had my very favorite episodes - Under the Influence, Legal - to name a few.

Ryan holding the baby = :drool:

Here, here! Ryan is definitely my absolute favorite thing about Miami. :lol: Jake comes in second (though he's not on enough) and then Sam (whom they haven't shown in a really long time). I like Calleigh too and I like her relationship with Jake. I like how Horatio always keeps his promises too and I like the way he interacts with little kids. He makes them feel safe and comfortable whereas most adult authority figures would have made them feel nervous or whatever. He doesn't really talk down to them either which is nice. I liked how he went out of his way to help that girl and her daughter (Ray's daughter, sorry I can't remember their names).

I like when Ryan told Calleigh that being thorough on the case involving her dad was much more important to him than proving himself was.

I also liked Wannabe a lot. It gave us a chance to see someone get under Speed's skin and then have them be liked by him... kinda. :lol:

Wannabe I think is my favorite ep from seasons 1&2, and it's that storyline that did it. If you watch the rest of those seasons, they didn't do a whole lot with Tim most of the time, but he certainly has some good moments in that one. I still get all choked up when he's in the elevator with H pulling at his tie and trying not to cry...

Post Lost Son, I don't think I can pick a favorite episode or moment. Loved Ryan's "that's hot" in Legal and holding the baby in Shootout, I adore post-shooting Eric just in general (and the buzzed hair in particular!), I'm happy that Calleigh seems to have ditched the black leather (we know how badass she really is without it anyway), and was thrilled to see H back in a lab coat this year.

I have to say, too, living in a state known for it's, uh, less than careful drivers, I crack up laughing when I watch Eric drive to the hopsital in Nailed. I can't seem to keep myself from yelling "Maryland Driver!" at the TV every time it's on!

My list goes on...and on and on! But I'll stop there, at least for now :lol:

Back