The Vampire Diaries

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sandersidle, Sep 22, 2009.

1. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Does anyone else watch this new show? It premiered on CW (for me, CTV) about 2 weeks ago. It's on Thursday at 8pm. The next episode airing is the third.

From the CW site:

Four months after the tragic car accident that killed their parents, 17-year-old Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev, "DeGrassi: The Next Generation") and her 15-year-old brother, Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen, "Everwood"), are still adjusting to their new reality. Elena has always been the star student; beautiful, popular and involved with school and friends, but now she finds herself struggling to hide her grief from the world. Elena and Jeremy are now living with their cool-but-overwhelmed Aunt Jenna (Sara Canning, "Smallville"), who is doing her best to be a surrogate parent.
    Elena manages to find some comfort with her familiar social circle – best friend Bonnie (Katerina Graham, "17 Again"), frenemy Caroline (Candice Accola, "Juno"), and former boyfriend Matt (Zach Roerig, "Friday Night Lights"), but Jeremy is on a more dangerous path, hanging out with the stoners and using drugs to hide his pain. Jeremy is also trying to figure out why Matt's sister, Vicki (Kayla Ewell, "The Bold and The Beautiful"), is suddenly rejecting him and hanging out with Jeremy's rival, Tyler (Michael Trevino, "Cane").

As the school year begins at Mystic Falls High, Elena and her friends are fascinated by a handsome and mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley, "Fallen"). Stefan and Elena are immediately drawn to one another, although Elena is puzzled by Stefan's increasingly bizarre behavior when he appears suddenly at the cemetery where her parents are buried. What she doesn't realize is that Stefan is hiding a dark, deadly secret of his own – the fact that he's a vampire. At a bonfire party the next night, Elena and Stefan are just getting to know each other when chaos erupts after Vicki is attacked and left bleeding from a savage bite to the neck.

Fearing that he knows who is responsible for the attack, Stefan returns home and finds his older brother, Damon (Ian Somerhalder, "Lost"), whom he hasn't seen for 15 years. Damon is also a vampire, and the two brothers have a long and bitter history. Damon ridicules Stefan for rejecting their legacy of violence and brutality, but he understands his brother's obsession with Elena, since she looks exactly like a woman Stefan loved more than a century ago; a woman that Damon tried to make his own. Now these two vampire brothers – one good, one evil – are at war for Elena's soul and for the souls of her friends, family and all the residents of Mystic Falls, Virginia.

Based on the series of books by L. J. Smith, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Alloy Entertainment and Bonanza Productions Inc in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson ("Scream," "Dawson's Creek"), Julie Plec ("Kyle XY," "Wasteland"), Leslie Morgenstein ("Gossip Girl," "Private") and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "Privileged"). Marcos Siega ("Dexter") directed the pilot.

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I've been watching it so far, but the jury's still out on whether I like it or not... Still, I'll give it a chance before I go one way or the other. The leads are fine, the acting's fine; I just want to see if the stories and the dialogue are decent or not overall.

I know they're trying to capitalize on this whole Twilight phenomenon, despite the fact that these books are (I believe) older than the Twilight series.

3. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Yep, they were published in 1991, I believe.

I actually enjoy this show more than the Twilight movie. I think the acting is better, and some parts I actually find pretty scary. I love anything horror so it's kind of the perfect show for me. :D I'm really excited for the new episode tomorrow!

4. BabaOReilly

Yeah, I wasn't very fond of the Twilight Movie, and I picked up the novel and put it back down within about half an hour. Somehow this series seems a little more sophisticated, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

5. BabaOReilly

Anybody still watching this? I've managed to stick with it, and I don't mind it so far at all. They've been able to keep me interested in what will happen next week every time. Not bad.

I like Ian Somerhalder as the dick older brother too. He makes it work. :lol:

6. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I'm still watching, Baba... though I'm not as excited about it as a lot of other shows I watch. So far it seems like a fairly typical "pretty people with petty problems and crazy mysteries" show... only with vampires and witches.

I also like Ian Somerhalder, *AKA* Pretty Boy from LOST, as Damon. Good lookin' villain/anti-hero with deep-seated pain that he can't confront, so he acts out and smirks a lot. Ah yes. It's like he's the Sawyer of this show. :lol: Sawyer, vampire edition. :D

7. BabaOReilly

Excellent description! Couldn't have said it better myself. And yes, while I enjoy this show, I wouldn't be traumatized if I missed an episode... yet.

8. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Just watched an epi 'cause I had nothing better to do...and yep it's all this awful teeny-drama, even worse than Twilight 'cause it's a whole show :shifty:...

And then I watched another epi...and there was Bonnie, bratty little brother Jeremy, not an a**hole ex Matt, "hyperintelligent and tactful" Caroline and I-call-a-17 y-old-uncle Zack...and omg I started to like them :brickwall: ,help plz.

Aaaand then there were Stefan and Damon ...I don't even need my slash goggles for these two :p

Only prob: Elena , really nothing against the actress, but I.CAN'T.stand this chara *shudders* :angryrazz:

So now I'm stuck with a whiny annoying teeny schmoop show just 'cause of 2 bothers and a few sidekicks :lol:

(If someone really loves this show please no offence, that's just my normal reaction to this kind of show all in good humor ;) ...For ex. I hated Dawsons Creek for it's staged dialogues and the eternal "we're soulmates but still not happy together", but I still watched nearly every epi for the sidekick charas ;) )

9. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I wasn't going to watch this until I found out Ian Somerhalder was on it (from LOST, sorta like Flash Forward and Dominic Monaghen) so I watched and I really like it. Great eye candy!

10. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

xeri, the way I've described it is the very typical "pretty people with petty problems" show... plus vampires. Sound about right? :)

FallenForFall, that's why I started watching too! I sooooo missed Pretty Boy (Ian/Boone) after he died (even though he was basically useless to the Losties, 'cept for his bromance with Crazy Pants [O'Quinn/Locke]).

I haven't seen the last 2 episodes of Vampire Diaries and I'm actually just fine with that. The fact that I haven't seen the most recent episode of Supernatural, though, has me almost crawling out of my skin. UGH, must watch!!

11. BabaOReilly

I was surprised that they killed off Vicky- I definitely did not see that one coming!

12. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

@Spoooky: ohh yep that too ...your description reminds me of The O.C. ;) , but what also always annoys me is that it's all about shipping with these shows (watched O.C. till I couldn't stand the Marissa thing anymore,even with the brothers *g* ; but liked the last season ...)

Mostly you can't get me into these shows - nothing interesting for me just watching shows about other peoples life. But some of these shows get me at my weak point when I start liking some charas.

@BabaOReilly: have to agree and I'm a bit miffed .

Liked the whole bored Damon and Vicky thing (plus Depeche Mode and I was happy :lol:). And can I just say that I loved how Vicky handled Elena ( "Perky little bi*ch" :p ).
    And now after Damon did something "good" and it's all better for poor Jeremy ,Elena can again be the lonesome suffering hero ,oh joy *grumbles* ;)