The University Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by _Hush_, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Hey, I'm currently in my Final 3rd year of University.
    I'm at Brighton University, UK to be exact and studying Digital Media Development which is for those who got what the **** its computing and media combined kind of with the chance to learn Flash and 3d animation and web design.

I was lucky when i joined the fee's havent gone up so i pay £1500 odd a year instead of the £3000 odd people now have to pay.

I actually commute tho from home as its only liek 1hr away and by train its not stressful and is quite a nice trip as only in 3 days a week well more this yea rto get work done.

I have to say 1st year i wanted to quite felt it wasnt for me and i wanted out but i'm soo happy i have stayed yes at this point in time would like to curl up and cry with the amount of work i have to do but its worth it in the end and i will have a BSc when i come out of it.

The workload is scary but what i found scariest was the fact you have to do it all by yourself and i don't really get set homework so ist up to you to do stuff which for me is unbelievably hard still is... 1st year its quiet, 2nd year picks up and now final year i'm tearing my hair out.

I'm sat here at the moment and should be working on my internet game which is shooting spiders and butterflys well a fairy has to shoot them... but i'm strugling, very easily distracted.

2. Alien_from_mars

Alien_from_mars Prime Suspect

I am at Uni! First year, first I was living off campus, but now living on campus (as I had to travel four hours a day) and I am enjoying it to the max! Made loads of new friends, loving my course (criminology and social work), loving the uni life basically.
    I hate not having money but it teaches you to spend wisely, well, I hope it does when I get my next installment and I dont go crazy with it like I did in freshers week.
    But yea, I have alot of work on at the moment but no worries, its just fun being away from home and having the independence and choices to make of your own!

3. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Jeeez, who would have thought it would be so easy? I just told my mother that I plan on leaving Uni (however, I didn't tell her that I've skipped all my classes since december :p) and she just told me "do what you think is the right decision for you."

Wow. I feel a whole lot better now, I just hope that I won't regret anything.

4. CSISneaky

CSISneaky Police Officer

Im in my first year at uni, studying criminal justice and policing and loving it :D Anyone else doing or have done this course?

5. somethingsdont

somethingsdont Lab Technician

I'm in my first year at Montreal's McGill University, majoring in software engineering. I have a pretty heavy course load; I'm taking 6 classes this semester:
    - advanced calculus
    - applied linear algebra
    - intro to computer engineering
    - programming languages and paradigms
    - fundamentals of electrical engineering
    - engineering professional practice

Yes, I'm stupid, but I took 6 last semester and it turned out alright. My program will optimally take 3.5 years (my province has a weird education system) but I hope to finish it in 3, which I think I'll be able to do if I take 2 or 3 summer courses in each of the next two summers.

Despite the amount of work and ridiculous scheduling, I am enjoying it for the most part. And that's saying a lot since I get up at 6 every morning to get to school for my 8:30 class. I still live at home, so it takes me about an hour and a half to commute, but I just take a nap on the train or get some work done. You get used to it.

If there's one piece of advice I can offer, it's to choose a major that interests you, not the one your parents want you to take or one that you think will get you a lot of money. I find that if you don't care about a certain subject, it's a struggle to just stay awake in class. I took a biology course last semester as a general science elective and it was so difficult to pay attention. I received a pretty low grade, too. Lesson learned: I would never try to major in bio. Don't be afraid of dropping in on random lectures to check out what they're about if you've got the time. I think education is about more than just specifically what your program requires of you, anyway.

Don't worry about choosing the *absolute* perfect major and definitely don't worry if you have no idea what you want to do. There's time, and most occupations really aren't as restricted as they may seem. Everything leads somewhere.

On the other hand, I don't think post-secondary school is for everyone, and it's really a waste of time if you know you're not going to put in the effort, because in high school, you had the teachers kicking your butt, but that discipline is missing from university studies. If you can't motivate yourself (which also goes back to my last point about being interested in what you're learning), you might be overwhelmed come finals.

Anyway, I want to work in video game development when I graduate, but I would be qualified for the majority of jobs in the field of computer science. I'm not sure if I want to go on to do a Master's and then a PhD yet. Seems kinda redundant if I already have to skills to do what I want to do. If I do, I'll probably do a Master's in management.

It kind of blows my mind that in two or three years, I'll officially be an engineer. Plus, I get a pretty Iron Ring for my pinky, heh.

Wow, this was pretty long.

6. nessy

nessy Witness

I graduated from uni 3 years ago now. I did a BA(Hons.) History and Sports Studies here in the U.K. Loved it though it was hard work and involved a very scary 150 mile move from home. I still live in my uni town now as i've made my own life here and have a job, place to live and a new set of good friends. I still have my old set of friends though and I go home every holiday from work to see my family and my friends at home.

7. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I'm in University for the forth time. Yes, I'm that indecisive.

I started at University of Toronto for a couple of years, decided my program wasn't for me. It's fun and a hobby, but I'm not prepared to make a professional go of writing. Then I took at stab at Ryerson U, where I thought I'd found my niche but alas the program direction turned out to be disappointing not to mention the administration was perhaps the most counter productive I have ever dealt with.

Finally, and presently I'm in a more business oriented stream at OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design) that I not only enjoy but actually have a good chance at making a living in; advertising.

Personally, I can't wait until my program allows me entrance into various internships and co-op programs where I can get field experience and start a career in advertising and visual media.

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh I just found better minor for me instead of Enviromental Politics (because that mostly concernts only Arctic areas)! I am sooo happy - it's a project of all universities of Finland and you have to apply for that :eek: It's...umm...Agricultural Politics :D
    If I only knew how to get it to be your major, I'd change.

It's bit weird because you cannot apply to it straight away, you need to be IN some uni and then you can do it.

9. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I know how you feel, Roxi, I've changed my major and minors a few times. Come this Fall I'll be going to my third college. It's hard but it's eaier to know that I will be done in two years form the I start.

Also the conter productivness of adminstartion..I know that too well. Some time they need to step back and realize that we are people too and have to take on more than one job to pay to be able to advance ourselves.

10. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I want to change, I really do, because, and I am also indecisive, but I'm just to scared to leave, becuase I think it's been a waste of 2 years.

But I've had exams the last two weeks, and they are a joke, seriously, I got to my exam today and the stupid invigilators had forgotten to put some sheets of names up and there was chaos. I pay £3070 a year, and they can't even put a sheet of paper up properly?!

MiaCharlize, it's great your mum wants you to do what is right for you, i think my mum would have a fit if I told her i was leaving, I've told her I hate it, but I think she thinks i'm just moaning!

Commuting to uni is what i find hard, becuase I miss most of the social life, i mean i go out at uni sometimes, but my 2 best friends at uni commute too, so I don't know what my point is here...

11. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

^ I understand about the whole commuting part i struggle with it now more than I did tis an hour and hlaf trip, 1st year i coped i had friends still at home and 2nd year as we were now in our degree whereas year 1 was foundation kinda thing i had new friends and wanted to do stuff... Tho this year its frustrating i can't go out i missed my mates 21st but that was because of work.

I think i slowly got used to it tho being in my final year this year and commuting has an advantage as i dont have as much of a distraction although i do with tv.

Bonus i have is 2 of my best mates went to the uni i do and they live down there so i have friends to stay with which is really nice when you need it.

Uni is evil at the moment although i dont have exams i have 2 pieces of coursework due and my final project to work on.

12. Tristianna

Tristianna Police Officer

The commuting to school is hard on my sister and I. We both have recently started classes back up for winter term. We have to be here by 8AM. Seeing as we carpool with mom, we are here at 7AM. We have a 12 hour day full of classes and never leave campus till 8PM. Its long, but we will be graduating soon, so it will be worth it.