The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

NCAA’s Brand dies after battling pancreatic cancer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—The NCAA says Myles Brand has died after battling pancreatic cancer. He was 67.

The university president turned NCAA chief who pushed for tighter academic standards in college sports and took on Bob Knight died Wednesday.

Brand announced he had cancer in January at the NCAA convention and continued to run the organization’s day-to-day operations.

He became the first university president to run college sports’ largest governing body, and worked to change the perception that wins supersede academics in college athletics.

It’s the first time a sitting NCAA president has died.

'Laugh-In' actor Henry Gibson dies at 73
Sep 16, 6:44 PM (ET)
By DERRIK J. LANG

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Henry Gibson, the veteran comic character actor best known for his role reciting offbeat poetry on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," has died. He was 73.

Gibson's son, James, said Gibson died Monday at his home in Malibu after a brief battle with cancer.

After serving in the Air Force and studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, Gibson - born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., in 1935 - created his Henry Gibson comic persona, a pun on playwright Henrik Ibsen's name, while working as a theater actor in New York. For three seasons on "Laugh-In," he delivered satirical poems while gripping a giant flower.

After "Laugh-In," Gibson went on to appear in several films, including "The Long Goodbye" and "Nashville," which earned him a Golden Globe nomination. His most memorable roles included playing the menacing neighbor opposite Tom Hanks in "The 'Burbs," the befuddled priest in "Wedding Crashers" and voicing Wilbur the Pig in the animated "Charlotte's Web."

His recent work included playing cantankerous Judge Clarence Brown on ABC's "Boston Legal" for five seasons and providing the voice of sardonic, eye-patched reporter Bob Jenkins on Fox's "King of the Hill." In 2001, Gibson returned to the stage in New York in the Encores! New York City Center production of Rodgers and Hart's "A Connecticut Yankee."

Gibson is survived by three sons and two grandchildren.

I loved Peter, Paul & Mary's music! Their music had a high quality and something that you just don't really hear these days - music that the entire family can enjoy.

Rest in Peace, Mary

Henry Gibson that dead-pan face, on "Laugh In" so long ago, funny guy, and Mary Travers, wow who doesn't know "Peter, Paul and Mary", both so young, what a tragedy, both brought much happiness to all, may they both RIP~

Movie pianist Art Ferrante dies in Fla. at 88
Sep 21, 11:43 AM (ET)

LONGBOAT KEY, Fla. (AP) - Famed 1960s-era movie pianist Art Ferrante has
died at his Florida home at age 88.

Ferrante's longtime manager says he died Saturday of natural causes in
Longboat Key, about 60 miles south of Tampa. Along with partner Lou
Teicher, Ferrante recorded themes to movies such as "The
Apartment,""Lawrence of Arabia," and "Cleopatra."

Ferrante and Teicher were known as "The Movie Theme Team" and performed
together for 40 years after meeting as children at The Juilliard School in
New York.

Teicher died last year at age 83.

Ferrante is survived by his wife, daughter and two granddaughters.

William Safire, speechwriter and columnist, dies
Sep 27, 2:56 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Pulitzer Prize-winning conservative columnist, language expert and former White House speechwriter William Safire has died. He was 79.

His assistant Rosemary Shields says Safire died Sunday morning at a Maryland hospice. She says he had been diagnosed with cancer.

Safire spent more than 30 years writing on the Op-Ed page of The New York Times. In his "On Language" column in The New York Times Magazine and 15 books, Safire traced the origins of words and everyday phrases such as "straw-man,""under the bus" and "the proof is in the pudding."

As a speechwriter in the Nixon White House, Safire penned Vice President Spiro Agnew's famous phrase, "nattering nabobs of negativism," a tongue-in-cheek alliteration that Safire claimed was directed not at the press but Vietnam defeatists.

Lucy of 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' fame dies

Lucy Vodden, who provided the inspiration for the Beatles' classic song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," has died after a long battle with lupus. She was 46.Her death was announced Monday by St. Thomas' Hospital in London, where she had been treated for the chronic disease for more than five years, and by her husband, Ross Vodden. Britain's Press Association said she died last Tuesday. Hospital officials said they could not confirm the day of her death.

Vodden's connection to the Beatles dates back to her early days, when she made friends with schoolmate Julian Lennon, John Lennon's son. Julian Lennon, then 4 years old, came home from school with a drawing one day, showed it to his father, and said it was "Lucy in the sky with diamonds." The elder Lennon seized on the image and developed it into what is widely regarded as a psychedelic masterpiece, replete with haunting images of "newspaper taxis" and a "girl with kaleidoscope eyes."

Vodden lost touch with Julian Lennon after he left the school following his parents' divorce, but they were reunited in recent years when Julian Lennon, who lives in France, tried to help her cope with the disease.
He sent her flowers and vouchers for use at a gardening center near her home in Surrey in southeast England, and frequently sent her text messages in an effort to buttress her spirits.

Angie Davidson, a lupus sufferer who is campaign director of the St. Thomas' Lupus Trust, said Vodden was "a real fighter" who had worked behind the scenes to support efforts to combat the disease.
"It's so sad that she has finally lost the battle she fought so bravely for so long," said Davidson

Stephen Gately formerly of Boyzone, has been found dead.

No details as yet, although he appears to have been holidaying in Majorca.

Not a musical favourite of mine, but he seemed quite a grounded young guy. Desperately young. Very sad news.

Bluesman who recorded as Freddy Robinson dies

LANCASTER, Calif. – Bluesman Abu Talib, who recorded and toured with Ray Charles and Little Walter under his given name, Freddy Robinson, has died. He was 70.

His daughter, Linda Chaplin, said Talib died of cancer Thursday at a hospital in Lancaster, about 70 miles north of Los Angeles.

Talib was born Fred Robinson in Memphis, Tenn., and changed his name to Abu Talib in the 1970s when he converted to Islam.

Chaplin said her father first heard the blues when her grandfather, Otis Robinson, took him along to a "juke joint." He was too young to go in but he'd watch the musicians through a window.

He was inspired to play and improvised an instrument out of bailing wire attached to the wall of a barn when he was nine, she said.

His former manager, Vernell Jennings, said he saved his money and ordered his second guitar from the Sears catalog at age 13.

"He had that guitar his whole life and still played it. It was called Bessie," Jennings said.

Talib could play well by ear, and he was always in demand at clubs, Chaplin said. When he moved to Chicago, he had to go to school to learn how to read music.

He played with Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf and pianist Monk Higgins and recorded and wrote several songs including "Black Fox," "At the Drive-In," "Bluesology" and the blues instrumental, "After Hours."

Chaplin said one of her father's favorite songs, "Sister Sharp Eye," was based on a real person he knew from childhood, a friend of his aunt's who used to run a gambling house and tell people that she had eyes in the back of her head to spot cheaters.

Jennings said Talib would tell funny stories between songs and have the audience in stitches.

"He had a song called 'Double Ugly' about his best friend who married an ugly girl, about how they had to hide all the mirrors. He had a great sense of humor," Jennings said.

Recently, he recorded a jingle for Southwest Airlines, and dressed up in a funky suit for the commercial, she said.

He had seven children with his first wife, Mary Robinson, who died, and one daughter with his second wife, Zakiyyah Talib.

Stephen Gately formerly of Boyzone, has been found dead.

No details as yet, although he appears to have been holidaying in Majorca.

Not a musical favourite of mine, but he seemed quite a grounded young guy. Desperately young. Very sad news.

R.I.P Stephen, you will be sadly missed :(

i'm unexpectedly sad about stephen gately. i was never a boyzone fan really (i was - and am - a take that girl through and through), but i saw him live (in Joseph) 3 times, and i really liked him :(

That's sad about Stephen. I think I've heard a few of Boyzone's songs, but I couldn't tell you the title of them. I like Ronan Keating though, but had no idea he used to be in Boyzone.

Back