The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

First Man On the Moon Neil Armstrong Dies at 82

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former U.S. astronaut, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82, U.S. media reported on Saturday.

Armstrong underwent a heart-bypass surgery earlier this month, just two days after his birthday on August 5, to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the moon's dusty surface, Armstrong said: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

The Apollo 11 moon mission turned out to be Armstrong's last space flight. The following year he was appointed to a desk job, being named NASA's deputy associate administrator for aeronautics in the office of advanced research and technology.

He left NASA a year later to become a professor of engineering at the University of Cincinnati.

The former astronaut lived in the Cincinnati area with his wife, Carol.

Susan

Legendary songwriter Hal David dies in LA at 91
Sep 1, 7:38 PM (ET)
By BOB THOMAS and CHRISTOPHER WEBER

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Hal David, the stylish, heartfelt lyricist who teamed with Burt Bacharach on dozens of timeless songs for movies, television and a variety of recording artists in the 1960s and beyond, has died. He was 91.

David died of complications from a stroke Saturday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, according to his wife Eunice David.

He had suffered a major stroke in March and was stricken again on Tuesday, she said.

"Even at the end, Hal always had a song in his head," Eunice David said. "He was always writing notes, or asking me to take a note down, so he wouldn't forget a lyric."

Bacharach and David were among the most successful teams in modern history, with top 40 hits including "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head,""(They Long to Be) Close to You" and "That's What Friends Are For." Although most associated with Dionne Warwick, their music was recorded by many of the top acts of their time, from the Beatles and Barbra Streisand to Frank Sinatra and Aretha Franklin. They won an Oscar for "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" (from the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"), Grammys and Tonys for the songs from the hit Broadway musical "Promises, Promises."

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

I will show my age and say 'Man, Starship sure has changed since I saw them on tour back in the 80's!' I'm not sure but I think the only one in the band that was there back then is Mickey Thomas. :eek:

Lead guitarist for Starship dies in Nebraska

NORFOLK, Neb. (AP) — Mark Abrahamian, the lead guitarist for the rock bank Starship, died of a heart attack after a concert in Norfolk, Neb., his road manager said. He was 46.

Road manager Scott Harrison said Abrahamian collapsed after a performance Sunday night.

"We had just finished the show. We were back in the dressing room eating. He apparently told the bass player he wasn't feeling well," Harrison said Monday.

Abrahamian went into the next room and was talking to his fiance on the phone when he collapsed, Harrison said. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Harrison says an autopsy was done Monday.

"It's a shock to everyone," Harrison told The Associated Press in a phone interview from the airport in Omaha, where he was waiting for Abrahamian's fiance. They planned to get married in December in Hawaii, Harrison said.

Starship was the opening band for a concert that also featured Survivor and Boston.

Harrison said Abrahamian hadn't mentioned any health problems to him, but he apparently had been telling his fiance.

"He had been having chest pains for a while," Harrison said.

Harrison said Starship's concert on Monday in Orem, Utah, was canceled.

Abrahamian joined Starship 11 years ago. Starship's history goes back to the 1960s with Jefferson Airplane and in 1980s Jefferson Starship.

Abrahamian lived in Austin, Texas. Funeral services are pending.

---------------​

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan dead at 54

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Clarke Duncan's fiancee says the Oscar nominee for "The Green Mile" has died while being hospitalized following a July heart attack.

Publicist Joy Fehily released a statement from Clarke's fiancée, the Rev. Omarosa Manigault, saying the 54-year-old actor died Monday morning in a Los Angeles hospital after nearly two months of treatment following the July 13 heart attack.

The 6-foot-5, 300 pound Duncan appeared in dozens of films, including such box office hits as "Armageddon," ''Planet of the Apes" and "Kung Fu Panda,"

Duncan had a handful of minor roles before "The Green Mile" brought him an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor. The 1999 film, based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, starred Tom Hanks as a corrections officer at a penitentiary in the 1930s. Duncan played John Coffey, a convicted murderer.

Susan

Early laptop designer Moggridge dies at 69
Sep 9, 5:50 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Bill Moggridge, a British industrial designer who designed an early portable computer with the flip-open shape that is common today, has died. He was 69.

The Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum said Moggridge, its director since 2010, died on Saturday from cancer.

Moggridge is credited with the design of the Grid Compass, a computer that had a keyboard and yellow-on-black display that sold for $8,150 when it was released in 1982. It was encased in magnesium and seen as rugged, and was used by the U.S. military.

The computer made its way into outer space aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery in 1985.

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

'Down in the Boondocks' songwriter Joe South dead at 72

http://todayentertainment.today.com...oondocks-songwriter-joe-south-dead-at-72?lite

By The Associated Press
Singer-songwriter Joe South, who penned hits like "Games People Play," and "Down in the Boondocks" in the 1960s and 70s, has died. He was 72.

South, whose real name was Joseph Souter, died Wednesday at his home in Buford, Ga., northeast of Atlanta, according to Butch Lowery, president of the Lowery Group. The company published South's music. Lowery said South died of heart failure, but did not know any other details. South also wrote the Grammy-nominated "(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden."

South was an inductee in the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. He played guitar on Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools," Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" and albums by Eddy Arnold and Marty Robbins.

Singer Andy Williams dead at 84
With a string of gold albums, a hit TV series and the signature “Moon River,” Andy Williams was a voice of the 1960s, although not the ’60s we usually hear about. “The old cliche says that if you can remember the 1960s, you weren’t there,” the singer once recalled. “Well, I was there all right, but my memory of them is blurred — not by any drugs I took but by the relentless pace of the schedule I set myself.”

Williams’ plaintive tenor, boyish features and easy demeanor helped him outlast many of the rock stars who had displaced him and such fellow crooners as Frank Sinatra and Perry Como. He remained on the charts into the 1970s, and continued to perform in his 80s at the Moon River Theatre he built in Branson, Mo.

In November 2011, when Williams announced that he had been diagnosed with bladder cancer, he vowed to return to performing the following year: His 75th in show business. Williams died Tuesday night at his home in Branson following a yearlong battle with the disease, his Los Angeles-based publicist, Paul Shefrin, said Wednesday. He was 84.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/09/26/andy-williams-dead-moon-river/

'Pink Panther' actor Herbert Lom dead at 95
Sep 27, 9:21 AM (ET)
By CASSANDRA VINOGRAD and JILL LAWLESS

LONDON (AP) - Herbert Lom, the Czech-born actor best known as Inspector Clouseau's long-suffering boss in the "Pink Panther" movies, died Thursday, his son said. He was 95.

Alec Lom said his father died peacefully in his sleep.

Herbert Lom had a handsomely lugubrious look that was suited to comedy, horror and everything in between. It served him well over a six-decade career in which roles ranged from Napoleon Bonaparte - whom he played twice - to the Phantom of the Opera.

The London-based star appeared in more than 100 films, including "Spartacus" and "El Cid," and acted alongside film greats including Charlton Heston and Kirk Douglas.

But Lom was most famous for playing Charles Dreyfus, boss to Peter Sellers' befuddled Clouseau in the popular "Pink Panther" series, from "A Shot in the Dark" in 1964 to "Son of the Pink Panther" in 1993.

"It was a delight to him later in his career to be cast by Pink Panther producer and director Blake Edwards in a comedy role opposite Peter Sellers, and he hugely enjoyed that move," Alec Lom said. "He had many funny stories about the antics that he and Peter Sellers got up to on the set. It was a nightmare working with Peter because he was a terrible giggler and, between my father and Peter's laughter, they ruined dozens and dozens of takes."

Born Herbert Karel Angelo Kuchacevic ze Schluderpacheru in Prague in 1917, Lom came to Britain at the start of World War II and began his career as a radio announcer with the BBC's overseas service.

His first major movie role was as Napoleon in 1942's "The Young Mr. Pitt." The career that followed saw him cast often as a villain.

In "The Ladykillers," one of the best-loved British films of the 1950s, Lom played a member of a ruthless crime gang fatally outsmarted by a mild-mannered old lady.

Horror roles included the title character in Hammer Studios'"The Phantom of the Opera" in 1962, and Van Helsing in 1970's "Count Dracula," opposite Christopher Lee.

A postwar American career was stymied when Lom was denied a visa, though he later appeared on U.S. TV series including "The Streets Of San Francisco" and "Hawaii Five-O."

In the 1950s, Lom also had success on the London stage playing the King of Siam in the original London production of the "The King And I" at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, opposite Valerie Hobson.

'Sons of Anarchy' star found dead in Hollywood murder mystery

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Investigators believe "Sons of Anarchy" actor Johnny Lewis brutally killed his elderly landlord Wednesday before falling to his death as he tried to escape police whose sirens he heard approaching.

A large pool of blood where Lewis' head crashed onto the pavement remained Thursday in the driveway of a house that has been the temporary home for actors and producers visiting Los Angeles to make movies for decades.

Lewis, 28, whose acting resume included "The O.C." and "Criminal Minds," appeared dead when the first officer arrived at the home in the Los Feliz neighborhood near Griffith Park, LAPD Commander Andrew Smith said Thursday.

The officer went inside the large house where neighbors reported hearing screams from a woman and glass breaking, LAPD Commander Andrew Smith said Thursday. The house "appeared to have been ransacked," with furniture broken.

Katherine Davis, its 81-year-old owner, was found dead on the second floor of the three level house in a "gruesome scene" police said. Her cat was found dead nearby, Commander Smith said.

The owner of the home next door and a painter working there were attacked by Lewis before his fatal fall, Smith said. Their facial injuries were minor, he said.

Police suspect drugs may have been involved, but "we don't have any hard evidence that says he was on anything right now," Smith said.

The toxicology report from the autopsy that the Los Angeles County coroner was conducting on Lewis Thursday would be crucial to determining if the actor was under the influence of drugs, Smith said.

"After 'bath salts,' new drugs are coming out all the time and young people try new drugs all the time," Smith said. "That's, of course, one of the things that our detectives are going to look into, whether he was using that or anything else."

Lewis lived in the home, which is on a winding, narrow residential street on a hillside on the eastern edge of Hollywood, about two weeks, Smith said.

Lewis is credited with playing Kip "Half Sack" Epps in 26 episodes of "Sons of Anarchy" in the FX Network drama's first two seasons, according to the Internet Movie Database. His character was killed off in the finale of season two.

"Sons" creator Kurt Sutter, in an extended Twitter posting Thursday, called Lewis' death "a tragic end for an extremely talented guy, who unfortunately had lost his way."

"I wish I could say that I was shocked by the events last night, but I was not," Sutter's tweet said. "I am deeply sorry that an innocent life had to be thrown into his destructive path. Yes, it's day of mourning, but it's also a day of awareness and gratitude. Sadly, some of us carry the message by dying."

This week's episode of "Sons of Anarchy," a series based on a violent motorcycle gang with graphic violence, included the death of "Opie," a major character.

Sutter's Twitter posting noted "the sad irony of it happening two days after opie's death is not lost on me."

Sutter told TV writer Alan Sepinwall in an interview published in December 2009 that "Johnny wasn't happy on the show."

"Creatively, he really wanted out of his contract," Sutter told Sepinwell. "We had ongoing conversations, and we decided we'd find some noble way for him to go."

Lewis played Dennis "Chili" Childress in nine episodes of "The O.C." in 2005 and 2006, according to IMDb.com.

His last work was in an independent movie, "186 Dollars to Get Out," which was scheduled to release this month, the IMDb.com listings said.

Lewis -- whose full name is Jonathan Kendrick Lewis -- was born and raised in Los Angeles, although he holds dual U.S. and Canadian citizenship, according to his IMDb biography.

Davis, who lived in the home for decades, "typically rented to people in the movie industry, writers and actors, and they would come up here because it's a wonderful, quiet neighborhood," Smith said.

David Thoresen, who has been service the home's garden fountain for five years, said Davis was a small woman, standing no more than 5-feet, 3-inches tall.

"She was the happiest, nicest lady I ever met in my life," Thoresen said. "I loved Kathy."

Susan

^^ Interesting...one of my Facebook friends posted about this before it was known who it was...happened a few houses down from him and a neighbor called to tell him. Weird.

And in other sad news...

Alex Karras, an All-Pro defensive lineman who went on to even greater fame as an actor, died Wednesday morning at his Los Angeles home. He was 77.
Craig Mitnick, Karras' attorney, said Karras was surrounded by family.

Karras had been suffering from dementia and it was announced Tuesday that his kidneys were failing.
He was chosen 10th overall by the Detroit Lions in 1958 out of Iowa and was a four-time All-Pro defensive tackle over 12 seasons with the team.

Karras' best-known roles were as the dad in the 1980s sitcom “Webster,” and as Mongo in the Mel Brooks comedy "Blazing Saddles," in which he memorably punched a horse and later uttered the classic line, "Mongo only pawn in game of life."

In the 1980s, he played a sheriff in the raunchy comedy “Porky's” and starred as Emmanuel Lewis' adoptive father, George Papadapolis, in “Webster.”

“Perhaps no player in Lions history attained as much success and notoriety for what he did after his playing days as did Alex,” Lions president Tom Lewand said.

Karras' wife, Susan Clark, said earlier this year that her husband's mind had deteriorated to the point that he could no longer drive and couldn't remember recipes for some of the favorite Italian and Greek dishes he used to cook.

“This physical beating that he took as a football player has impacted his life, and therefore it has impacted his family life,” Clark told the Associated Press earlier this year. “He is interested in making the game of football safer and hoping that other families of retired players will have a healthier and happier retirement.”

^^^
Wow. That's so sad. I suspect these types of chronic sports injuries are much more prevalent than the industry will admit. My heart goes out to his family, who no doubt endured much heartache even before his death.

RIP, Alex Karras.

Gary Collins, TV Host and Actor, Dies at 74

Gary Collins, who won a Daytime Emmy in 1984 for hosting Hour Magazine and worked a variety of acting and emceeing gigs in a career that spanned five decades, died of natural causes early Saturday in a Biloxi, Miss., hospital. He was 74. Collins scored a total of six Daytime Emmy nominations during Hour Magazine‘s eight-year run in the 1980s, and hosted the Miss America pageant from 1985-1989. In the 1960s and early ’70s, he starred in series such as Iron Horse, The Sixth Sense, and Born Free. Later, he appeared in episodes of The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Charlie’s Angels, and Hotel, among others. Collins’ last credited role came in a 2009 episode of Dirty Sexy Money. At the time of his death, Collins was reportedly separated from his wife of some 45 years, former Miss America Mary Ann Mobley. Collins is also survived by one child with Mobley, and two others from a previous marriage.

'Emmanuelle' star Sylvia Kristel dies at age 60
Oct 18, 7:22 AM (ET)
By MIKE CORDER

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - Actress Sylvia Kristel, the Dutch star of the hit 1970s erotic movie "Emmanuelle," has died of cancer at age 60.

Her agent, Features Creative Management, said in a statement Thursday that Kristel died in her sleep Wednesday night. Kristel, a model who turned to acting in the 1970s, had been fighting cancer for several years.

Her breakthrough came in "Emmanuelle," a 1974 erotic tale directed by Frenchman Just Jaeckin, about the sexual adventures of a man and his beautiful young wife, played by Kristel, in Thailand.

She went on to star in several sequels to "Emmanuelle," as well as in Hollywood movies including "Private Lessons" in 1981.

Natina Reed, R&B singer (Blaque)/actress, 32

ATLANTA (AP) — Authorities say R&B singer Natina Reed, known as a member of the female group Blaque, was killed Friday (Oct. 26) after being stuck by a car in metro Atlanta. The Gwinnett County Police Department said in a news release Sunday that the 32-year-old Reed was hit late Friday while in the roadway at an intersection on U.S. 29 near Lilburn.olice say the driver called 911 for help, and someone tried to revive Reed on the scene. She was later pronounced dead at Gwinnett Medical Center.

It’s unclear why Reed was in the road. Police say the driver wasn’t at fault and won’t be charged. Blaque’s hits included “808” and “Bring It All to Me” in the late ‘90s. Reed was also in the movie “Bring It On,” released in 2000. Reed would have turned 33 on Sunday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Dees, songwriter (Oh Pretty Woman, It's Over), 73

Bill Dees, a Texas-born singer/songwriter known for his writing collaboration on some of Roy Orbison's biggest hits, died Oct. 24 in Mountain Home, Arkansas following a battle with brain cancer. He was 73.

Born and raised in the Texas Panhandle, Dees played guitar and sang with a band called "The Five Bops," gaining enough recognition to perform on an Amarillo, Texas radio station. He eventually made his way to Nashville, where his meeting Orbison led to a collaboration that produced a string of successful songs for Monument Records including the hits "Oh, Pretty Woman" and "It's Over." In 1967, Dees co-wrote all the songs for the Orbison album and MGM motion picture The Fastest Guitar Alive.

Beyond his work with Orbison, Bill Dees wrote hundreds of songs, a number of which were recorded by performers such as Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Skeeter Davis, Glen Campbell, Billy Joe Royal, Frank Ifield, Mark Dinning and Gene Pitney. In 2000, he recorded his own album titled Saturday Night At The Movies, a compilation of songs previously sung by Orbison that had been written with Dees and some that Dees had written alone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Campbell, music journalist (AP), 78

NEW YORK (AP) - Mary Campbell, whose childhood affection for the big bands and opera she heard on her radio set the stage for four decades as a music writer for The Associated Press, died Friday (Oct. 19). She was 78.

Campbell died in Bloomington, Ind., according to her sister, Ruth Miller.

From symphony to rock 'n' roll, from Duke Ellington to Beverly Sills to the Dixie Chicks, Campbell covered the entertainment scene, earning respect from the artists she wrote about and devotion from the public who followed her profiles and reviews.

"Mary Campbell is a most admired reporter, not only because she writes so well but also because she knows an interesting story when she hears about it," celebrated conductor-tenor Placido Domingo once said.

At a party for the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary in the 1990s, Mary Travers politely greeted the many luminaries in attendance but spent much of the evening huddled in a corner with Campbell, catching up with her old friend.

"It will be hard to think of The Associated Press without Mary Campbell on its staff," said crooner Tony Bennett upon her retirement in 2000.

Few witnessed as much rock history as Campbell. She was there when the Beatles played Shea Stadium in 1965, reporting that their show was "better than the World Series, the All-Star Game and 50 grand slam homers rolled into one." She interviewed Elton John before he even had a recording contract. She would recall talking to Janis Joplin around the time of Woodstock, and how the singer confided being torn between the rock 'n' roll life and her desire to raise a family.

One of her favorite stories was visiting the set of "Saturday Night Live" in 1976, when George Harrison was a guest. The ex-Beatle, seated in his dressing room, was initially abrupt with Campbell, offering one-word responses to her questions. Then, a second guest joined the conversation: Paul Simon, who greeted Campbell so warmly that Harrison, too, opened up.

"Mary was completely and authentically herself, which charmed her colleagues and the many performers she interviewed over the years, from Tony Bennett to Mick Jagger to members of the New York Philharmonic," said Kristin Gazlay, an AP vice president and managing editor. "If you met her, it's impossible to ever forget her. She is greatly missed."

Larry Sloan, publisher ("Mad-Libs" co-founder), 89

TIME.com - Larry Sloan, publisher of one of the world’s best-loved language games, died Sunday (Oct. 14). The Mad Libs series of books has brought roars of laughter to the American households since the 1960s. He was 89.

Mad Libs, in which players complete sentences with random words and then read back the results, was originally shunned by book publishers and game manufactures. But now, more than 110 million copies have been reportedly sold, according to the Los Angeles Times. The Mad Libs series has become a roadtrip favorite: all you need to play is a pen and some basic knowledge of grammar.

B.B. Cunningham, singer/keyboardist (The Hombres, Jerry Lee Lewis), 70

AP/E!News.com - B.B. Cunningham, a longtime keyboardist and backup singer for legendary rocker Jerry Lee Lewis as well as leader of his own band The Hombres, was gunned down early Sunday morning (Oct. 14) in Memphis. He was 70.

Police said Cunningham was working as a security guard at an apartment complex on Memphis' southeast side, when he heard a gunshot at the neighboring Cherry Crest apartments and went to investigate about 2 a.m., according to The Memphis Commercial Appeal. Police didn't provide details, but they said when officers arrived, both the 70-year-old Cunningham and a 16-year-old boy were found dead from gunshot wounds.

Born Blake Baker Cunningham Jr., the keyboardist and singer established a national reputation in 1965 as a member of the touring version of Ronnie and the Daytonas, known for the song "G.T.O." That band eventually became the Hombres.

Cunningham's perhaps best known for his distinctive organ riff and gravely vocals on The Hombres' garage rock classic "Let It All Hang Out," which hit #12 on the Billboard Top 40 Pop Chart in Fall 1967 - the group's only charting hit. Cunningham was joined in that group by guitarist Gary McEwen, bassist Jerry Masters and drummer Johnny Hunter. Hunter committed suicide in February 1976 at age 34. Cunningham's brother, Bill, was a member of The Box Tops.

After the Hombres' career slowed, Cunningham went to work behind the scenes at the famed Sounds of Memphis Studios. In 1971, he moved to Los Angeles where he served as chief engineer at Independent Recorders, working with the likes of Billy Joel, Elton John, and Lou Rawls.

Cunningham ultimately returned to Memphis a few years later and launched his own studio. He had been a member of Lewis' band since 1997. His solo album, "Hangin' In," was released in 2003.

Tim Johnson, Nashville songwriter, 52

Tim Johnson, a hit songwriter who served as a board member at the Nashville Songwriters Association International and mentored numerous writers, died Sunday (Oct. 21) after a lengthy cancer battle. He was 52. A Noti, Oregon native, Johnson was known for co-writing the singles "I Let Her Lie" by Daryle Singletary, "God Only Cries" by Diamond Rio, "Do You Believe Me Now" by Jimmy Wayne, "Things That Never Cross a Man's Mind" by Kellie Pickler, and "She Misses Him" by Tim Rushlow.

Back