The Politics of CSI:NY

As people who have visited the Warm Welcome thread recently will know, I am American, and I can vote in the upcoming Presidential election for the first time. I have been trying to keep up with the political goings-on and have learned a few things in the process.

So you're all probably wondering what the heck this has to do with CSI:NY. Well, this is the place to post what political affiliations/ beliefs you think are held dear by the characters. If you think Lindsay is a Democrat or Adam is in the Green Party, tell us.

That being said, I'd like to post a few ground rules. No bashing of characters, past or present political leaders, or of other's opinions. Please remember that much of the information in these posts will be made of generalizations. For example, most Republicans are in favor of capitalism and small government. Don't get your tail in a knot if you are a minority on some issues. Please be civil; I don't want my very first thread to be shut down by the mods because of an argument. There are enough other reasons for it to be removed. Also, if you think a character has really obscure political beliefs, give us a basic overview of the party platform. Don't simply say, I think Danny is in the Star Trek Power Party, and leave it at that. Explain.

So, is everyone clear? I'll go first.

I think Mac is a Republican, mostly because he has a picture of Ronald Reagan in his office. Go Reagan! Mac was also kind of creeped out by the 'committed threesome' in 'Stealing Home'. He's pro-military as well; I don't think I need to explain that to anyone.

I can't really think of anything for the other characters, though I think Adam is a Libertarian, because, to the best of my knowledge, Libertarians favor small government and are somewhat liberal when it comes to social issues. With Adam's past, I can't see him submitting to big, bad government very easily, and he has no problem working with social situations that would seem odd to the conservative world.

Now that I'm done monopolizing your time, have at it!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to ponder this one for a while, but I definitely agree with you about Mac, in part because I know Sinise is a Republican. Mac's military background also leads me to think he's probably a Republican.

I would suspect Danny is a Democrat--I think he comes from a very working class background and I'd bet his father was a Democrat and his father before him...and I can see Danny being very much a guy who votes with his family.

I'll have to think about the others.

I agree that Mac is probably a Republican because of his military background and the pic of Reagan in his office. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if he's not overly fond of the Bush administration because they got a lot of flack after 9/11. I seem to remember hearing that Bush's most recent election campaign used images of 9/11, which I can't imagine Mac taking to too well. I don't think Mac would blame the Bush admin. for 9/11, but he may have been none too happy about how they handled it, and about the various revelations that came out about their prior knowledge of a coming attack.
Of course, he could be a Democrat, and the pic of Reagan is in his office because Reagan would have been his Commander in Chief for a period while he was in the Marines (1983). But yeah, I think he's a Republican.

I think Danny is a Democrat for the same reasons Top41 gave. But I don't see him caring too much about politics, he's probably the kind of guy who does vote, but who only remembers to do so at the last minute.:lol:

Flack for some reason I think is Republican. I'm not sure why, it just 'fits' with his character for me.

The others, I'm not sure.

Of course, he could be a Democrat, and the pic of Reagan is in his office because Reagan would have been his Commander in Chief for a period while he was in the Marines (1983). But yeah, I think he's a Republican.

The pic of Reagan is another big indicator--I'd forgotten about that. I can see him being displeased with the Bush administration--a lot of Republicans are--as well.

I also remember him telling Horatio that NY has the death penalty in either "MIA/NYC" or "Manhattan Manhunt," as a reason to try the killer in NY. Something along those lines--I do recall him being pro-death penalty.

I think Danny is a Democrat for the same reasons Top41 gave. But I don't see him caring too much about politics, he's probably the kind of guy who does vote, but who only remembers to do so at the last minute.:lol:

Yeah, I don't see Danny being really political--he probably doesn't get into debates and that kind of stuff, but I definitely think he votes.

Flack for some reason I think is Republican. I'm not sure why, it just 'fits' with his character for me.

I can see that, too, if for no other reason than Flack is probably big on criminal justice and tough sentences for murderers, rapists, etc. I can also see him being pro-death penalty.

I can see that, too, if for no other reason than Flack is probably big on criminal justice and tough sentences for murderers, rapists, etc. I can also see him being pro-death penalty.

That's why I think Flack is a Republican, I just couldn't put my finger on it before. Thanks Top!
Flack is big on criminal justice/tough sentences, and I bet his dad was too. I just can't see Flack being a Democrat. Like Danny, I think he votes but probably doesn't talk politics too much.

I've been kinda wondering about what the characters' political beliefs were (how nerdy do I sound? :p).

I do agree that Mac would probably be a Republican, for reasons listed above.

I think Stella would be a Democrat, or somewhere in-between. One reason is because of how she reacted in "The Lying Game" to the murder of the transgendered person makes it seem like she would be for equal rights for GLBT people. Also, she grew up in the system, and in a couple episodes it seems like she might not have been too happy with it. Now I don't think that that necessairly means she has a Democratic or Republican like view on that-it depends on how she would change the system, but I kind of think she'd like more help for the poor in the form of welfare, health care, etc.

I pretty much agree with the opinions of Danny above.

I think Flack would be a Republican as well. I can sort of see him being raised in a religious (possibly Catholic?) family, and being raised to that specific set of morals, which is usually the same set of morals as in the Republican party. Also, as said above, he seems like he'd want harsher punishments for criminals.

I think Adam would totally be a Democrat. I'm not gonna lie, one of the main reasons is that he's a pretty young guy, connected to technology, and a lot of Democrats now are younger and politicians in the Democratic party (such as Obama) have been using technology to connect with younger voters. Also, I think he'd be fairly accepting as far as GLBT rights go (not that all Republicans aren't, but the party generally doesn't support rights such as marriage and adoption).

Lindsay-Umm...as of now, I can't think of anything. I'd guess Republican, but I don't really have specific reasons.

And...that's it.

^Yeah, I think you're dead on about Stella. I can see her being an Independent, but tending more towards being a Democrat.

I agree with you about Adam as well, for the reasons you listed.

Lindsay--honestly, I don't know. I could see either really.

I want to say Hawkes is a Democrat, but in part that's because Hill is so politically active. So I'm not sure. Thoughts on him? I think he'd definitely be in favor of stem cell research and would be pro-choice, so I'd think he'd be a Democrat because of that as well.

For Lindsay I feel like she would be Republican. I don't have any solid basis for my reasons. I think it stems from her violent past with her friends. Not to be an idiot but is it the Democrats or the Republicans that are more supportive of the death penalty? Because I think its the Republican (also based on what you are saying about Mac and Flack) and I feel like she would be in support for it based on her past.

I agree with you Top41, I also want to say Hawkes is Democrat based mainly because of who Hill happens to support.

For Lindsay I feel like she would be Republican. I don't have any solid basis for my reasons. I think it stems from her violent past with her friends. Not to be an idiot but is it the Democrats or the Republicans that are more supportive of the death penalty? Because I think its the Republican (also based on what you are saying about Mac and Flack) and I feel like she would be in support for it based on her past.

It's the Republicans who support the death penalty. I can actually see most of the CSIs on this show being in favor of it, because of the horrible things they see every day. The only ones I think might be against it are Danny, because he's got such a big heart, and Hawkes, because he's a doctor and because I can just see it being against his principles.

It's the Republicans who support the death penalty. I can actually see most of the CSIs on this show being in favor of it, because of the horrible things they see every day. The only ones I think might be against it are Danny, because he's got such a big heart, and Hawkes, because he's a doctor and because I can just see it being against his principles.

I think Danny would be in favour of the death penalty only for people who kill or molest children, because those are the one class of criminal he has really shown outright disgust and no sympathy at all for. But otherwise, I can definitely see him being against it.
I agree with you about Hawkes being against it because he's a doctor and it's against his principles.

Of course, just because a team member supports a certain party, doesn't mean they agree with all their policies, because most people in RL don't agree with all of their party's views/policies. So Mac could be a Republican and disapprove of the Bush administration, and Stella I think is probably a Democrat, but stilll supports the death penalty.

I agree with people who think Lindsay is a Republican. Like Mac and Flack she seems in favour of tough sentencing, and considering what happened to her as a teenager, she would be especially in favour of tough justice.

I think Danny would be in favour of the death penalty only for people who kill or molest children, because those are the one class of criminal he has really shown outright disgust and no sympathy at all for. But otherwise, I can definitely see him being against it.

Agreed--Danny has no stomach for people who hurt children, so in those cases, yeah, I'd see him being in favor of it.

Of course, just because a team member supports a certain party, doesn't mean they agree with all their policies, because most people in RL don't agree with all of their party's views/policies. So Mac could be a Republican and disapprove of the Bush administration, and Stella I think is probably a Democrat, but stilll supports the death penalty.

Definitely true, and I don't see any of them being hardliners in either party, either. About some of the issues, perhaps--like the death penalty--but I don't see any of them as extremists.

I agree with people who think Lindsay is a Republican. Like Mac and Flack she seems in favour of tough sentencing, and considering what happened to her as a teenager, she would be especially in favour of tough justice.

True--I can see that, too.

There is an article in the News bit about Hill supporting Obama, and that has added to my feeling that Hawkes is a Democrat, in the same way that Gary's being a Republican makes me think Mac is one too. I do think the actual actors' RL political leanings influence how their characters' political leanings are seen by fans, unless the character is deliberately written in a different way.

I wonder what Sid's politics are? I can see him voting, but I don't know who for. He seems quite a traditional guy in some ways - he has a wife and family to whom he seems very devoted (he mentioned a young girl reminding him of his daughter, the 'Thanksgiving' scene in AHTYMA) - I think he probably believes very strongly in family values, but I guess both parties promote that? I can see him supporting a party that's strong on pushing scientific/medical research because of his job. But he's not as big on technology as Adam is.

I can see Sid as a Dem or an independent. He seems pretty open with his views...with almost everything. (As Stella can attest to. :lol:)

I'm sure the actors are the complete opposite, or independent. [shrugs] Who knows.

Hill is friends with Barack. The "Barack The Vote" shirt is awesome!

O-BAM-A! O-BAM-A!

:thumbsup:

There is an article in the News bit about Hill supporting Obama, and that has added to my feeling that Hawkes is a Democrat, in the same way that Gary's being a Republican makes me think Mac is one too. I do think the actual actors' RL political leanings influence how their characters' political leanings are seen by fans, unless the character is deliberately written in a different way.

I wonder what Sid's politics are? I can see him voting, but I don't know who for. He seems quite a traditional guy in some ways - he has a wife and family to whom he seems very devoted (he mentioned a young girl reminding him of his daughter, the 'Thanksgiving' scene in AHTYMA) - I think he probably believes very strongly in family values, but I guess both parties promote that? I can see him supporting a party that's strong on pushing scientific/medical research because of his job. But he's not as big on technology as Adam is.

I can see Mac being a Republican because of his military background, his liking for order with slight leanings toward authoritarianism, plus his seemingly not being open to things like Threesomes and stuff, and just his overall persona.

Stella, I can see being a Democrat. Her openness, her growing up in the Foster Care system, etc. She seems like she'd be tough, but fair and empathetic.

Hawkes, I see as a Democrat. His openness, his empathy and willingness to reach out. I see him as very liberal

Flack, I see more Republican/authoritarian. There's a certain way you do things, and there's certain things you JUST DON'T DO. Or even think about.

Danny, I'd say was more liberal/Democrat. His seeming empathy and understanding of the things people do seem to point to that.

Sid, I almost seem as being Liberal or Libertarian. Sort of a Do what you do, but don't hurt anyone.

Adam, similar to Sid, I think. He's very open with regards to social issues and things like gender/sexuality.

Lindsay, It's hard to tell. I don't really know enough about her to say what her political beliefs are.

Speaking of not knowing enough to tell, I can really see their social leanings through the cases and whatnot, I'm just not sure about their fiscal/economic leanings.

Back