The International Thread

Where In The World Are You?

• Total voters
I speak Indonesian(0f course),few words in Arabic and English.My English still a bit messy,even after all the hard work i put to pass CAE exam in Bournemouth.I've been to Malaysia,England,Wales,Singapore,and Hong Kong.I've got family in England so i go to England quite frequent.In fact i'll be there for this summer holiday.It's ashamed i won't be able to catch some episodes of csi ny 4.Axn is only playing season 2 and 3 repeatedly in Indonesia..

Whoa Jacuqie. Not only do you know where Taiwan is, but you have actually been here! That was...surprising. :lol: And you're right, the weather in the south is very different from it is in Taipei (me = born in the south and now living in Taipei :D) Although I probably shouldn't complain too much about the heat in summer considering Gaelen is from a Malaysia where the heat is even worse and is now living in Africa. LOL.

Everyone around here sounds language-talented. It's really amazing that a lot of you speak so many languages. I speak Mandarin, Taiwanese, English, German and a bit of Japanese. I was German-majored in college, but I have never been too any German-spoken countries. :D

Although I probably shouldn't complain too much about the heat in summer considering Gaelen is from a Malaysia where the heat is even worse and is now living in Africa. LOL.
Actually, contrary to popular belief (of all things burn under the African sun), the weather here is actually quite pleasant. We get 4 seasons, (granted, spring is like - one day :rolleyes:) and the temperatures have a good range. It's only flaming if you stand under direct sunlight, but if you're in the shade, it's not bad at all. The air is dry, so you don't sweat (unlike Malaysia - where sweating like a pig is the understatement of the year) and...yeah. It's hard to explain because everyone thinks Africa means OMG! no water! Everyone lives in mud hutts!! :lol:

If you look at South Africa, it's actually pretty well developed, and Cape Town's Canal Walk is, if I'm not mistaken, the largest shopping mall in the southern hemisphere (it is massive). :)

Hehe I know about South Africa and a few southwest African countries, but I have to admit that I didn't have a good idea about where in Africa Namibia was (I do now. *slaps self*). :D Hmmmm I'm quite interested in moving to somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm curious about what Christmas and New Year are like in summer. :lol:

^I've lived in the Southern Hemisphere all my life (aside from Germany that is). :lol:

I'm interested in moving to the Northern Hemisphere, where I can actually experience a white Christmas for once - otherwise it's during the summer and I'm sitting here imagining snow as everyone else complains about it :lol:

And when I'm complaining about the cold, everyone's in their shorts cause it's summer! :p (It's actually pretty annoying). The only great part is when everyone else is complaining about the heat, I'm nice and cool. ;)

*Never answered my own question*

Erm I can speak English of course *no comment* but I can speak quit good french when I put my mind to it! Well I hope I can seeing as I have my french oral exam next friday :lol: Oh...I can speak the random Japaneese word due to the fact that I do martial arts but I dont think I could get something to eat with the word 'punch' :guffaw:

Erm countries.....Erm England (obviously), Wales,France, Portugal, Create, America (Florida) and Lanzarote

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Argentina
Ghawazee

Austrailia
tiara4Carmine

Austria
Clairelangley

Belgium
_Hush_

Brazil
owlki

Bulgaria
Phobia

Canada
dl_shipper34
flacksgirl7
WhosLaughingNow
catey1234
Elwood21
CSI_in_training
DuCaineluver93
buddrick
Nick_Wolfe_Danny
Flackie_boo
CSINUMIA000
Snowbird
luvingmyHoratio
Lampdor
fxcanadian
Crank
Shevonne
JulieAnn
Jacquie (Ontario)
DragonflyDreamer

China
Jimhaung

Cyprus
athens

France
celtess
Joaninah

Finland
DaWacko

Germany
LivingEnd
StellaFan
CSI_NY_Addict
Lonia
Britta
BlueDemon
Jay1987
Teardrop
nel2h
Brinchen
MiaCharlize

Greece
Dims
Hungary
Cathwarfan
Cimponelli

Indonesia
gue_nih
kitsun3gari

Ireland
Ceindreadh
Stardust1989
origin-nknown (But lives in Wales, UK ;))

Italy
Orison
Cecily
Vertigirl

Kuwait
miami85 (soon moving to Barcelona)

Lithuania
ametista

Malaysia
Kimmychu
DAnNSfreak
sHiNNizLe
Gaelen (Currently in Namibia, AKA Messermonroe)
tinieyhasbi
togo2hot

Netherlands
dutch_treat
Marns
Jodi
CSISenna
Jools
Carmine_lover
4blueeyez
Roosey

New Zealand
kiwifan
magicmunchies
Hannah
melbel
Kiwi_girl
NZGirly

Norway
CSI_Andersen
Kinehelene
CSI_DannyFan

Portugal
CSI_Dani

Romania
Lorelai
miss_blue
AngelTaylor

Sebia
milena

Singapore
Lessien_Tinuviel
spikegal

Slovakia
Carolina

South Africa
Althea
Carmeena

Spain
Poison girl (PG)
lunadeagosto
Hormiga
Rtelgeuse
vas NYPD

Sweden
NinaM
SvartaBaskern
Distraction

Switzerland
CSIAnnStokes

Taiwan
EricaSJ

The Philippines
chaostheory08
mulder8scully5
peewee_sal
ranma
Cara1090
Mandy9578
kayfeb (based in Brunei)

UK
nattybatty55
Kat1974
silencer
Twinkletoes
jendai
Fruitbat (FB)
Bella363
gypsy
Joolz
Dawni
bumble_bee89
faith666
Macslady
Elsie
LeanneUK
Msgirl
Newyorklover
Gaby
grssom89
Danistheman
HC_4_my_birthday
Thegluups
AliGtr
CalleighD
Tequesta (Orkney Isles)
Shady
Aiden_Burn
Stella_Taylor
Aconnell
Seren y Gogledd
Alexis_taylor
hairy0haggis
HoratioFan4ever
Sammie
xxmaybe (moving to Canada soon)
ryansnuttytart
Aphina
Ali57
Adorable_Crazy
SomethinSomethin
Xkawx
Madsion Louise
rachaelm
MichelleK
CSItaylorgirl
Sherry
shazza 018
Poppet

USA
Ruth (Chile)
CSI Kat (Michigan)
Wolfesgamergirl (Wisconsin)

Venezuela
CalleighWolfe

Total= 157

@Liffy...Italy is fixed :D

@Elsie, I was wondering, am I spamming by posting this list near the top of each page?

Last edited:
@Elsie, I was wondering, am I spamming by posting this list near the top of each page?

Hmm. Do you need the list? If people are saying which country they are from when they first post in the thread and also posting in the poll then maybe the list is kind of redundant.

I have to admit that I don't read the list, but if other people find it useful then of course it's fine. But no more than one per page, and remember to include your own 3 lines of discussion as well as the list when you post it. :)

I'd never post it twice one page but I might even just post it every other page ;) I took a while to add all the names so I thik it'll be shame to delete it.

And of course i'll always post at least three lines of discussion ;) Thanks

@Liffy...Italy is fixed :D
And it took you how long to do that? :lol:

Ooh! Japanese! I love Japanese (and all things anime :D )!! It's like a life-long dream of mine to one day learn to speak Japanese (and of you Japanese speakers around here?) :lol:

Oooh...I'd love to go to Japan too one day...and die from eating too much sushi!!

Eigo ga deki masu ka?

Ooh, I love Thai food too! Gah, anybody here know what "Nasi Ayam" or Hainanese Chicken Rice is? :drool:

I'm hungry! :scream:

I really need to go find some chillies to chew on or something. :lol: Damn, if I'm lucky I get to go back to Malaysia in June and I'll be stuffing myself with as good food till I explode! :lol:

Haha Liffy, I love Hainanese Chicken Rice! It's comfort food for me actually. I put a lot of chilies in my soy sauce. :lol:

As for the languages I speak...Well, where I live, everybody is at least bilingual. English is my first language. Tagalog is the local dialect I speak. I've taken Spanish lessons since I was a child. I can understand it and speak it but I still tend to butcher it. Italian I'm a bit familiar with since it's closely related to Spanish.

I'm from south-west Germany.
Apart from German I speak English (not exactly fluently but well enough). My only problem with English is my horrible mix of accents: In school I was taught British English, so I spoke British English with a (slight?) German accent. Then I started watching movies (and TV series :D ) in the original version which usually is American English. So now it's a foundation of British English mingled with colloquialisms from US films and series and presumably adorned by a German accent (I don't know any English native speakers, so I can't confirm...)

Apart from that I speak French (I live about 15 km away from the French border, but Alsatians tend to speak German to tourists who try to speak French, so I don't get much practice...).
At school, I had Latin as first foreign language.
I once began learning Russian and Spanish but didn't pursue them further.

At university, I decided I needed a distraction, so I began learning Chinese. I did it for one year, got as far as ~250 signs and about 4 weeks after the course ended, I had forgotten about 80% of them...

At university, I decided I needed a distraction, so I began learning Chinese. I did it for one year, got as far as ~250 signs and about 4 weeks after the course ended, I had forgotten about 80% of them...
^Oh that's the one hard thing about chinese, you have to learn so many different things for the language to work; the strokes of your characters, the word itself, the tone of the word etc...etc..

Tones suck, you mispronounce one and the word becomes completely different :lol:

Haha Liffy, I love Hainanese Chicken Rice! It's comfort food for me actually. I put a lot of chilies in my soy sauce. :lol:
MMmmmm....chicken rice....

Tones suck, you mispronounce one and the word becomes completely different :lol:

That's not only true about Chinese but English as well. Mispronounce something in English and you may just mean something entirely different. Haha, that one though is pretty funny. :lol:

Back