The Find Her Series #1 ; Butterflied Again (G/S)

Chapter Seven

Sara stared at the computer screen. That couldn’t be right. There could be a hundred Laura Sidle’s in the world. Sara read further, Dani was born in a prison, San Francisco State Prison, to be exact. That was where Sara’s Mother was, as far as she knew anyway. Her Mother was in jail for life, for the brutal death of her Father.

“Who’s Dani’s father?” Sara asked quickly. Grissom noted the shake in her voice, like she was trying not to shed a tear. He scrolled down and glanced through some information, until he found what he was looking for.

“Her Father was a security guard, fired on the day of Dani’s birth,” Grissom said. Sara had already read this information as Grissom had scrolled down to it.

“Why doesn’t she have her Father’s name?” Sara asked. Grissom wanted to correct her, and tell her that it was also her Mother, she needed to get used to that fact, but maybe now wasn’t the best time to bring that up.

“Her Mother requested her name be ‘Sidle’, I guess Dani’s Father was only her Father through DNA, nothing more,” Grissom said and sighed.

Sara nodded, taking in the information. After a moment of silence, Sara spoke, “How can we be sure?”

“We can ask Dani about it, you have to talk to her anyway,” Gil said, finally looking over at Sara, who was standing straight, with her arms crossed. She nodded, but clearly would rather not talk about it. “We can go now, or later, Sara,” he added, offering comfort.

Sara fought the tears; she didn’t know why she wanted to cry. Dani could be her sister, she should be happy. Maybe Grissom understood it better than Sara did, he was trying to be comforting. Sara swallowed, hopefully swallowing the tears with it. No, the tears were still there, tickling the back of her eyes, itching to reveal themselves for all to see, rather than the walls of Sara’s apartment, as they usually did.

Usually, when Sara went home from work, after cheating all the overtime she could, the loneliness would remind her of all the times she would run to her room when she was younger, running away the farthest she could without being beaten. She would lock the door of her tiny, white room, while listening to her Mother scream in pain because of the beating she was being given for not making a good enough dinner, even though the dinner was perfectly fine.

Since Grissom moved in with her, she was able to hide from being reminded of her dark childhood, and hadn’t cried much in a long time. She hadn’t thought of it until now, when her tears that had fallen down her cheeks on a daily occurrence tickled her eyes, torturing her to stop fighting and to let them free.

No,’ she told herself. ‘You’re at work, you can’t cry here.

“Sara?” Grissom asked, snapping Sara back to reality. This released the tears, sending them out into the open. “Sara, honey, what’s wrong?” Gil asked. He wanted to hold her, calm her down, but they were at work, and they both agreed to keep professional at work.

Sara sniffled, “Nothing,” she answered. She wiped the tears away, but more fell down her cheeks.

Grissom sighed. “C’mon, let’s go for a drive,” Gil said. Sara nodded, and wiped away the tears as best as she could. So she could leave the lab without any questions.

Grissom got up and walked in front of Sara, she followed behind him. They both walked out of the lab, catching only one person’s eye.

Greg Sanders watched as Sara and Grissom left the lab, leaving him to wonder why she was crying.

Yay! T'internet! *does a happy dance* Great updates....nice to read when I got back from the holidays. Although I did kind of expect them to be related...cus of the way you described how they looked so alike, but still excellent writing. Hopefully another installment soon?! Pretty please, I'll be very good...if only for an update. :) :lol:

laters, tigger_willows xoxo

Chapter Eight

Sara was sitting in the passenger seat of Grissom’s car. She managed to stop herself from continuing on crying now. Grissom reached his hand out and put it on her shoulder. Sara turned to him, wanting to smile at him, but her emotions weren’t letting her.

“Thanks,” she managed, her voice cracking in the middle of the word. Grissom smiled, then returned his hand to the steering wheel. Sara stared out the window, watching them pass by cars and people living their lives normally, as if it was any other day. Why couldn’t Sara keep that feeling. Of course, normal for Sara was crying at least once a day, which probably isn’t normal for most people.

Why are you crying? What is so wrong with a sister? She’s younger than you and is a girl, she’s nothing like your brother. Sara shook her head a little. You thought you forgot him? How could you? All those years, when you thought it was normal. No. It wasn’t. You let yourself believe it was normal, but you knew that it wasn’t. Sara blinked, hoping her mind wouldn’t remind her of everything all over again.

Oh please, does it just scare you to see someone else with the Sidle name? Or to you, it’s the Sidle curse. You’re not the only one like this, so why pity yourself. Why make Gil pity you? I’ll tell you one thing, he isn’t pitying you for getting a sister. No, he knows there’s something greater than that worrying you, troubling you, making you cry, making you tear up inside.

“Want some music on?” Grissom said. Sara felt like screaming thank you to him, but he didn’t know the battle that was going on inside her head, and he wouldn’t know what he was being thanked for. She nodded, unable to get the words out to say yes to the simple question that was asked.

You can’t get rid of me that easily. Sara started singing the song that was playing, her words coming out easily and without shaking or dieing now. “Is it worth the pain, with no one to blame for all my insecurities, how did I ever let you go,” she sang. The words made more tears prick the back of her eyes. Grissom looked at her, sadness in the depths of his eyes that saw into Sara, not through her.

“You know the song?” He asked conversationally.

“Pins and needles, by Billy Talent,” she answered. It seemed that as long as Sara wasn’t talking about her problems, she could speak fine. It had always been like that. You’ve always had trouble telling anyone your problems. Guidance counselor, parents, foster parents, friends, teachers, even Grissom.

Grissom nodded as they reached the hospital. They got out of the car, and the voice known as Sara’s conscience went away. They walked in and told one of the people at the front desk they were there to see Dani, the kidnapped victim. Then Sara and Grissom were guided to Dani’s room, the little girl was looking at a book and talking to a brown-haired boy.

Sara peered in, looking through the door. Dani looked up and saw Sara at the door. The boy noticed Dani’s gaze had now focused itself on something other than the book or him, and looked at the door to see a brunette woman looking in. Sara took this as her cue to go in, Grissom followed.

“Hi Sara,” Dani said happily, “Grissom,” she said nodding towards the grey-haired man standing beside Sara. “This is my best friend, Adam. Adam, this is Gil Grissom and Sara Sidle from the crime lab, and Sara is my half sister.”

Sara stared at Dani, she already knew?

Wow! Very good. Really enjoyed this chapter. I wonder how Dani knows sara is her half sister? Keep up the good work, and hopefully there will be an update soon.

Laters, tigger_willows xoxo

Chapter Nine

Dani looked at Adam after introducing Sara as her half sister, which put Sara at ease. She glanced at Grissom, who looked just as astonished as she was. He noticed that she was looking at him and turned slightly to her, his mouth was opened slightly, showing his surprise, an emotion he rarely let out of his barrier.

“Adam, you should go, get something to eat, or something, come back later, okay?” Dani asked. Adam looked at Grissom and Sara, and then back at Dani.

“Okay,” he said and nodded. Dani smiled at him, and then Adam left the room.

Ignoring the rock in the middle of the room, Sara crossed her arms and smiled. “Boyfriend?” She asked.

Dani gave out a little laugh, “No, he’s my best friend.” Sara’s smile faded as she remembered why she was in the hospital room. She stepped further into the tiny room and sat in the chair that Adam had been sitting in. Grissom stood beside her, for support, he hadn’t planned on saying anything since Dani would probably be more comfortable around Sara.

Dani had already sensed Sara’s mood, and knew what she wanted to talk about. It was Sara’s expression when Dani had introduced her as her half sister to Adam that gave her away. Dani liked boasting her intelligence in subtle ways. She saw the solemn look in Sara’s eyes when she was at the door and knew that Sara must have figured out that they had the same mother. So, Dani had decided to tell Sara she knew about it, catching her completely off-guard.

Dani was watching Sara, trying to figure her out. Somehow, she couldn’t. There were too many emotions that Dani couldn’t detect. Grissom was even harder to understand only through expression.

“Dani…” Sara started, “How did you already know I was your half sister?”

“Was?” Dani asked. “You still are.”

“Dani,” Sara said, slightly more force in her voice.

“Well, I’ve visited my mother in jail a few times, and she told me about her other daughter Sara, she told me I looked a lot like you, and told me your last name was Sidle, like mine was,” Dani explained.

“Do… you know why,” Sara paused, “she’s in jail?”

Dani’s eyes traveled to the wall past Sara. Solemn overtook them. “Yes,” she said quietly. “My foster parents wouldn’t tell me, they were too… scared of the impact it would have on me. They would only tell me she was in a bad place. When I was old enough, they told me that they were going to take me to visit my mother, then they took me to the jail.”

Sara was avoiding Dani’s eyes and staring at the ground. Grissom wanted to comfort Sara, but he couldn’t, not while they were at work.

Dani looked at Grissom, who was watching Sara. Dani then looked at Sara briefly, then back at Grissom.

“Why are you still on the case?” Dani asked.

“What?” Sara asked, finally looking up.

“The guy… who kidnapped me is dead, and you’re still here,” Dani explained.

“I had to talk to you about our mother,” Sara said, a slight bit of anger in her voice.

“If you only wanted to talk about our mother, you would have come on your own time,” Dani’s eyes traveled to Grissom, “and alone.”

“You’re smart,” Sara said, even though she had realized it a while ago. Dani nodded slightly, she didn’t need to be told she was. “The semen we collected… from you… was a match to Jason Kenyres.”

“That was who kidnapped me,” Dani confirmed, “He told me to call him Jason.”

“Was anyone else involved with your kidnapping, Dani?” Sara asked in a light tone.

Dani shook her head, “No, it was only him. The whole time I never saw anyone else.” Then Grissom’s cell phone rang.
“Grissom,” he answered and walked out of the room.

“Sara, what’s going to happen to me?” Dani asked, tears in her eyes.

Sara stared at Dani. “What do you mean?”

“Another family, another change I guess,” Dani said, her eyes away from Sara.

Sara smiled, “Dani, I’m not going to let you live with another foster family. Once I get your adoption papers, I’m signing them.”

Dani’s eyes brightened and a smile appeared on her face. “Really?” She asked like a kid about to get a triple chocolate ice cream cone.

Sara smiled, “You’re family, and… I know what it’s like being in foster care.”

Dani sighed, “Why didn’t you ever visit mom?”

Sara looked at Dani with quiet eyes. “I… was scared of her, I didn’t want to see her. I moved to Vegas… and used that as an excuse and an answer when I asked myself why I never see her now.”

Dani was looking at Sara, with an understanding expression on her face. “She’s waiting for you.”

Sara’s eyes met Dani’s and there was silence. They stared at each other, saying more than words ever could. Then Grissom walked into the room. He noticed that they weren’t talking, and decided to speak.

“Sara, can I talk to you?”

Sara got up, not saying anything to Dani and followed Grissom out of the room.

“That was Catherine, they finished searching Jason Kenyres house, they found a chair with hand cuffs attached to it, that’s where he kept her. There was no sign of anyone else living there or visiting there for a while,” Grissom said, passing the information to Sara.

“So he did and he’s dead?” Sara asked.

“They said they’re going to close the case. There’s nothing else we can do,” Grissom said and sighed.

Sara smiled, “Well, I’m doing more.”

Grissom raised an eyebrow, demanding answers.

“I’m adopting her,” Sara said, unable to wipe the smile off her face.

Back