Tea and Scones ~ english thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poppylvsgriss

poppylvsgriss Police Officer

hello, I'm from rotherham in south yorkshire. To be honest its a bit a rubbish but i have affection for it cos its my hometown and i've come back to it. At least your pretty much guaranteed a good night out here though! :lol:
    thank the lord Sheffield is near by! :lol:

going to see Kasabian tomorrow (shoot the runnaaaaaaar). i'm quite excited! :D

i cannot make cakes whatsoever, but like Lvodkadiet i'll happily have a slice aswell! yum! :D

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

^Oh, Kasabian! I hope you have a great time. :)

I do quite a lot of baking, and I love baking bread too. I also have Nigella's 'domestic goddess' cookbook although I'm not convinced that I will achieve domestic goddess status any time soon. :lol: I'm already planning to make some scones over the weekend.

I'm from York.

3. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

Cake all round then by the looks of it. Hope you enjoy it.

I used to go to Uni in Lancaster and loved it. I also love Bedford (have a friend there) and I tend to go to the Hallam Arena in Sheffield for gigs as well as Nottingham (have a friend in Worksop so near both). Been to York once on a staff resi. Didn't do much work.

If there was one thing you could change about this country what would it be? You can't go for weather though as thats too obvious.

4. KirstyW

KirstyW Dead on Arrival

Sarah when did you study at Lancaster? My brother John (Mechatronics and Engineering) and his girlfriend Liz (Maths and Philosophy) both studied there. John worked at Furness bar for a number of years before he finally decided to join the real world last Nov.

5. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

Happy Birthday KirstyW hope you have a lovely day, and welcome, I am pretty new here myself but am having a great time! I have been to Corby in Bedfordshire, is that near you?

Ryansnuttytart your question about what would you change about this country really had me thinking, but do you know what I couldnt really think of anything, I actually amazed myself. I think overall we are a pretty cool country I know we have our problems but its a much safer and friendlier place to live in than tons of other countries and although the thought of living in Las Vegas sometimes appeals while watching the show I doubt I would actually like to live there or anywhere else really.

6. KirstyW

KirstyW Dead on Arrival

Thank you Lvodkadiet for the birthday wishes :D

I've got friends from Corby and have visited there, but more on the outskirts of Corby rather than the center. BTW it's in Northamptonshire not Beds but you're not far off :), it's about and hour away if the roads aren't busy.

The one thing that annoys me about this country, is the ripping up of green belt land for development even though there's plenty of brown site land surrounding it. They are building 4 new villages next to my village and it almost makes me cry to see all the trees and hedgerows that have been destroyed, especially knowing that normally a diverse range of birds would nest there later this year.

7. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

KirstyW firstly Happy Birthday. Hope your having a good one. I studied at St Martins and not Lancaster Uni. I was there between 1996 and 1999 (I so miss it).

Lvodkadiet I am with you. I couldn't really think of anything about this country I don't like. So many people moan about it but it's home. We have the countryside, beaches and all in such a small area. Although I do agree that it's not nice that green belt is ripped up.

8. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

Happy Birthday to you ryansnuttytart hope you had a good day!

I have been down to the coast today, my parents live in Walton on the Naze, which is a typical english sea-side town, with a pier, deckchairs and lots of ice cream and we love it (especially as there is a pie and mash shop too (all the Eastenders out there will know what I'm talking abuot!). Weather was great today too, first sunny day of the year I think. :cool:

9. poppylvsgriss

poppylvsgriss Police Officer

i went to the coast on saturday! can't beat it can you? fish and chips, ice cream. some pintage on the sea front. lovely day! :D

10. KirstyW

KirstyW Dead on Arrival

Wish I lived nearer the coast, I love the sea.

*Jealous*

11. csi_fan_uk

csi_fan_uk Police Officer

Be careful what you wish for! ;) :p

I grew up in Grimsby which is technically near the coast being alongside the Humber Estuary and being a fishing port and all. However, I left when I escaped to university and the only reason I ever return is to visit my family. But I do not what you mean - I used to love day trips to non-industrialised coastal places with nice sea-fronts like Skegness and Scarborough.

Nowadays, I live in Bolton. Which doesn't have a sea-front but does remind me of Grimsby except with things to do like a cinema with more than three small screens etc... :lol:

Actually, I do miss the fish and chips in Grimsby. Proper fish complete with the skin on one side and tail (you don't have to eat it) fresh from the docks - none of this strange small, rectangular blocks of white flaky meat that passes for fish in these parts (currently residing in Bolton - I like it - except for the bad fish obviously... :p)

PS: Pixu - I adore your Ianto icon! Makes me laugh every time I see it! :lol:

12. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Whoa. I used to live in Bury not that many moons ago. Bolton has a nice shopping city, Burys was, not so great. :lol: Apart from it's apparent world famous market. :rolleyes:

13. KirstyW

KirstyW Dead on Arrival

And I grew up in Chadderton, so we could have been neighbours at some point :). Still visit the folks up there but it has lost a lot of its character with the expansion of the motorways and all the new estates popping up.

Our long term plan is to move to the Isle of Mull a small island off the West coast of Scotland and believe me despite it's remoteness I don't think I'll tire of the views.

14. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

If money were no object, I'd love to move to a little place called Hook, which is in Hampshire. It's so nice, from what I remember. :)

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.