Tacky and Tasteless!

I don't see anything wrong with it.... So what if people what to remember 9/11 with a coin...... It not any worse then people paying for a stamp with Elvis or Princess Di on it... :)

meshellb2001 said:
I don't see anything wrong with it.... So what if people what to remember 9/11 with a coin...... It not any worse then people paying for a stamp with Elvis or Princess Di on it... :)

I agree with you, I don't see what everyone is getting so upset over.

Even though, Im not an american but I still found this tacky, this is just a way for those people to cash on this tragedy that occured 5 years ago, if we/they wanted to remember them, they would've erected a monument for those who died. :rolleyes: And it is still too soon.

And I'd never buy a Princess Di coin!

needmorecsi said:
meshellb2001 said:

I agree with you, I don't see what everyone is getting so upset over.

Here are my problems with it.:

1. I don't like the fact that it can be both a coin and a statue. It means that the Towers can be proped up and very easily knocked down. See the tastelessness of that?

2. The fact that the ads(both print and t.v.) gush about how the statue is made from "actual silver recovered from Ground Zero!" That's downright ghoulish in my opinion.

3. Each coin costs thirty dollars, but only five dollars are going to charity. That means that the people making this coin get twenty five dollars per coin. Let's say they sell ten coins. The charity will get fifty dollars, and this coin company gets two-hundred-fifty dollars. These people are cashing in on a horrible tragedy which most people still have very vivid memories of, even if, like me, they didn't lose any loved ones or happen to be anywhere near New York at the time.

It does seem a bit tacky, doesn't it? But people can get away with just about anything these days. Personally, as a New Yorker, I'd never buy one. I'd find another way to help out a charity.

coin collecters maybe..I would never buy it..it's pathetic that the makers of the coins make money for something tragic..

Back