Should the dying be allowed to take illeagal drugs?

Calihan

Captain
With the debate about medical euthanasia, I thought I'd ask should the terminally ill be allowed to take drugs such as marijuana or ecstasy.

I think if someone is dying and is only given the drugs in a hospital or hospice or any other place with tight control over the drugs. Becoming addicted isn't really an issue f they're already dying, so I personaly can't think of a downside. Maybe have good cuts of the drugs, that are professionally manurfactured insteadof coming from the street.

Please share your thoughts about this.

Well, I think it's fine. My aunt (who has Parkinson's disease) gets marijuana from the government, and it actually helps her somehow (I'm not sure how, but my grandma, grandpa and her said it does.) So I think it's okay, because (according to my aunt) they help the dying or the ill feel better.

Yes. Drugs like marijuana shouldn't even be illegal, in my opinion, as it's less harmful than some legal drugs (namely alcohol and tobacco). I see no problem with giving the terminally ill products that'll make their last days a little more joyous.

I think its good and bad. i mean people sell perscription drugs already, and if marajuana was a legal drug, dealing would get easier for some people.

but than again i do because if it helps these people, i'm all for it.

I know that marijuana is used in medical purposes but ecstacy?

I'm sorry but you cannot compare alcohol to drugs, such as marijuana, because it's not that addictive. Bad for your health, yes when used a lot, but if drugs get you hooked on in one/two time use alcohol doesn't do that. Alcohol also doesn't make you imagine thingsthat do not exist.

i know marijuana helps with nausa or something with cancer patients. if it were me id rather try other medications.
im not sure what other illegal drugs you think the dying should have access to. the only one i can think of is coccaine was originally a pain killer, but we have better legal ones now. plus some of the illegal drugs induce dependacy after one use. if i were dying i wouldnt want to spend my last days going from fix to fix and being drugged out of my mind all the time. there are better things out there

Ok please don't shoot me down for my views.

All drugs are addictive in some way or other and it doesn't matter how often you take them. That includes caffine, alcohol and illegal drugs. It's more about how your body reacts to the drug not what the drug can do. Thats why some drugs can has no reactions to some but to others can cause damage.

I personally have trouble making a decision on this. I think only those in that position can make a decision and even then I think it would be incredibly hard. Part of me wants to say they should be allowed to but then again what if the next day they come up with a miracle drug (rare I know). I don't think I'll ever be able to truly make a decision.

I think it should. Marijuana already is legal here, but in countries where it is illegal, it should be legal to take marijuana when you're terminally ill. It helps people to have a better life (even when they're sick).

And ecstasy? Never heard about that either (in medical purposes).

I think there may need to be many more tests done on different drugs to see what there medical properties could be. I do believe that most illegal drugs could, if looked into, have more useful, legal uses but only in their pure form.

I'm sorry but you cannot compare alcohol to drugs, such as marijuana, because it's not that addictive.

Can't I? Lets compare the amount of people who drink to the amount of people who smoke. They have groups for alcoholics, but not marijuana addicts. Alcohol has killed thousands and thousands of people, marijuana has killed substantially less.

I've been drunk and I've been high, and I can tell you that for me, the high was much more enjoyable. This was a couple of months ago, and I haven't had any cravings or withdrawal symptoms. I've got only one friend who is addicted to marijuana, but about two dozen alcoholics.

The Netherlands has it right. Legalize it.

I don't know about this one, its a really hard question, and my answer may start to contradict itself.

Should they dying be allowed illegal drugs? Possible, if it honestly makes them feel better. But, are we talking getting the drug illegally ie drug dealer, or like getting it from a hospital/hospice etc?

I personally, from a non-dying point of view think that there are better, more legal ways to relief pain, nausea etc. My nan had cancer and she had chemo, which made her feel awful. But never once did she want to take illegal drugs, as she said she would rather remember her last days on earth when she got to heaven, and have lived life with no regrets. But, if someone is dying,a nd they are in constant pain, nauseating etc, wouldn't it be kinder to let them have the drugs?

I don't know if my post made any sense what so ever, but its my jumbled views, and yeah *shrug*

~xJemmax~

Showtime said:
I'm sorry but you cannot compare alcohol to drugs, such as marijuana, because it's not that addictive.

Can't I? Lets compare the amount of people who drink to the amount of people who smoke. They have groups for alcoholics, but not marijuana addicts. Alcohol has killed thousands and thousands of people, marijuana has killed substantially less.

Getting addicted to alcohol aka becoming an alcoholist takes some serious drinking and many days in a row. Sometimes get hooked easier, some don't.

Don't mix those who like to drink to those who are addicted to drink. When I lived away, it was so damn great to get in the bar with friends 3-4 times in a week. Then when you had no money, then you didn't drink.

Let's be rational here. Think how easier it is for people to get alcohol. It's legal (for those in legal age). Of course there's more users, of course there's more accidents/crimes/whatever with it. But I'm sure if marijuana was free for all and consumption got to same level with alcohol - it would beat alcohol with all its problems.

Saying "marijuana is more safe than alcohol because it has killed less" is the same when you'd say that shooting a person to the head is not as bad as stabbing someone to death, because shot to the head kills your right away.

DaWacko said:
Getting addicted to alcohol aka becoming an alcoholist takes some serious drinking and many days in a row. Sometimes get hooked easier, some don't.

It's exactly the same for such drugs as marijuana (which is all I'll speak for as it is all that I've tried). Recreational drinking and recreational drug use is much the same, just I find the latter a much more relaxed environment.

Don't mix those who like to drink to those who are addicted to drink. When I lived away, it was so damn great to get in the bar with friends 3-4 times in a week. Then when you had no money, then you didn't drink.

I say the same for marijuana - not everyone who smokes is an addict and they should not be treated as such (or as criminals). Neither a joint nor a beer is going to have any long term or adverse effects, considering you go about it sensibly.

Let's be rational here. Think how easier it is for people to get alcohol. It's legal (for those in legal age). Of course there's more users, of course there's more accidents/crimes/whatever with it. But I'm sure if marijuana was free for all and consumption got to same level with alcohol - it would beat alcohol with all its problems.

I disagree. Look at places like the Netherlands: they don't have a higher death rate from cancer, they don't have an ungodly amount of accidents from DUIs, though I'm sure that drinking is still more popular.

Saying "marijuana is more safe than alcohol because it has killed less" is the same when you'd say that shooting a person to the head is not as bad as stabbing someone to death, because shot to the head kills your right away.

Absolutely not. While marijuana has been linked to some forms of cancer, most of the victims were also tobacco users and heavy drinkers. Its been speculated to actually prevent Alzheimer's and inhibit growth of some tumours.

I'm not advocating handing out a reefer to little kids and telling them that its good for them, but I disagree entirely with the general consensus that it's more harmful than drinking and/or tobacco use.

^As for tobacco. I hate it. I'd make it illegal if it was possible.

So marijuana for medical use? I guess... I can't answer more clearly because I'm just more familiar with painkillers and stuff that they give to dying people so they wouldn't suffer.
There's a reason why everyone cannot buy serious painkillers.

But there is no one and absolute truth "it prevents Alzheimer". There affects many, many things - not just marijuana. Just like "smoking kills you younger" My grandma smoked over 60 years and she died in age of 87 (her aorta went puff one night).

Just like alcohol in small doses helps you in many things.

Alcohol and tobacco is hard to ban anymore, because those have been with us so long - but we can stop having more stuff that is a risk for our health. There is no such a thing than "less harmful drug". They are all addictive. And if you still claim alcohol is more addicive - christ, I should be dead and total alcoholist already.

I'd still like to hear from Calihan what medical use ecstasy has.

As for dying people, I'd legalise euthanasia before marijuana.

Back