Season One Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by PraetorCorvinus, Oct 22, 2009.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

I think that all three have actually grown quite a bit. For me, Catherine is much the way she was in the beginning, but maybe not as "snippy" as she could be at times. Nick has been through a lot, but I feel like we see his true personality come through, only now he's saddled with a higher responsibility and so can't necessarily just let go the way he once could. Same with Greg. I actually feel like Greg has grown the most of all the CSIs, but we just don't always get an opportunity to see it. But I think we are this season. So, overall, I've very happy with the way this season is shaping up.

Also, I appreciate the greater screen time that Doc Robbins has been receiving. He, like Brass, is a great character, and it's nice to see him being given his due.

2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I think Greg has grown the most too. I mean he started off as the somewhat immature lab tech to now a full CSI who's maturity level is where it should be considering his age and position now. I think they have all grown but then again it has been 10 years...some change is bound to happen.

I do agree I would like to see them smile more. Back then they had a lot more light hearted moments. Now it seems they are rare.

3. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I was watching a chunk of season 1 this afternoon (well, what else are ya gonna do when there's four inches of ice on the ground outside?...!) and one thing that struck me quite hard is that the order in which the episodes were broadcast doesn't seem to in any way match production order and, heck, renders some of the story a little...odd.

I mean, the most obvious thing is George Eads' hair which goes from long to short to long (well, comparatively long in both cases) in a three episode period, and there's nothing to suggest that there's supposed to be that much of a gap between the second episode (which I think was Blood Drops) and the third episode (which would be Anonymous), but there's other (slightly less shallow) things, too.

I mean, there's a conversation in I-15 Murders where Grissom and Brass are talking about the fact that Grissom's now in charge at the lab and Brass is back in homicide, which would make much more sense if this was the third or fourth episode in the season - by the eleventh, you'd think they'd have both long since settled into their new positions!

Also, there's the whole Sara investigating Warrick for the second time thing. Grissom's justification for her doing it is that Ecklie won't see her as being biased, but given that she's an established team member by this point, I'm not sure that would hold water.

And that's not even touching the places where relationships seem to go backwards or the fact that Cath gets notice of the Child Services review on her and Lindsey in Blood Drops but that doesn't get picked up again until Sex, Lies and Larvae.

So is all that just me? Or, if it's not me, does anyone know why they decided to alter the episode order?

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

According to the CSI companion I-15 Murders was filmed and produced as the third episode. The network (put that as CBS) told them that since this was their first season they had to come out with their first 3 episodes being as strong as they could be so it was bumped until later in the season and replaced with Crate 'n Burial which they thought was a stronger episode. Why they put it in where they did I don't know. It just shows that they were aired in a different order from what they were filmed in. :)

Susan

5. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Aha. The age old "network meddling" - at least I now know it's not just my imagination! :lol:

Although, if I-15 Murders was slated to be third, where does that leave Sex, Lies and Larvae which does seem (story-wise) to come immediately before I-15 Murders...or did that one get rewritten to fit in with the network meddling?

6. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

Just watched "Unfriendly Skies" again and I have to wonder how this episode would have been different, especially Grissom's little speech at the end, had it been written after 9/11.

Btw, this is one of my favorite episodes of S1. I love how involved Brass is (wow, what happened to that in the later seasons) and his scene with the little girl is priceless!

7. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I'm starting to write some in-depth episode reviews, starting from the beginning.

Here's the first one:
    1x01 Pilot

Feel free to continue any discussion here in this thread (or at the link as well)