Season 7 Discussion

Okay, same deal -- loved part and hated part.

I loved Keppler and seem to be one of the only people who loved the rest of the Fannysmacking arc. I actually liked Big Shots a lot more than Fannysmacking. Greg faces a tough but split-second decision in Fannysmacking, but it's Big Shots where he really has time to think about tough choices, and, as a result, IMO, where he really shows his character. Most importantly, it's the tough choice he makes here -- effectively doing everything he can to forgive the James family and even help them -- that show that he's the CSI who, despite all odds, can maintain his idealism and trust in the world. He encounters the darker side of the world and the ambiguity of justice that goes with it, and yet he still comes out of it without being overwhelmed by the cynicism that seems to afflict much of the rest of the team.

Personally, I also really admired CSI for taking on the issues of race posed in this arc. Even as a Greg fan, at the end of the day, I could see both sides of the story and really feel for the James family, even if they made some poor choices. Altogether, I thought Post Mortem and Big Shots helped turn the arc away from the 'bad fanfic' arc it could have been (as Athersgeo said) and into real intelligent and deep television.

I probably don't need to say that watching this season made me a Greg fan. :)

I hated every aspect of the MK storyline, which might have more to do with GSR. Still, the serial cases are just getting old, IMO. There can only be so many before they stretch credibility. I thought the Keppler arc was amazing. Honestly, at that point in the series, I preferred Keppler to Grissom. He was such an enigma, and, as someone already said, everything that Ray should have been. I wasn't even that invested in the character, but I was still bawling like a baby when he died. That whole scene, along with everything leading up to it, was just brilliantly done.

Season seven was the season I seriously thought of ending my love affair with the show. The Miniature Crime Scene Killer was nothing but a ruse for GSR. It was a season TPTB caved to a small but vocal minority because they were worried about Grey's Anatomy.

However, there were some great episodes for me. Redrum was good, except for watching a group of men in power force Catherine to turn against her team, but it was a good reflection on how men still retain the authority in law enforcement.

I loved Happenstance with Nick singing to Mandy. I loved Fallen Idols, that was awesome acting on George's part.

I loved Keppler, he was very angsty. I wish they hadn't killed him off.

Other than that, it stank.

Last edited:
Season seven had it moments. Unfortunately, it was the GSR season. If I had to see Sara work one more case with Grissom I was going to scream. :scream:

The miniature killer arc could have been better, but they blew it with making a GSR thing. However, the miniature's were really cool.

Redrum was a great episode as we saw Nick take charge and rallied the troops to get to the truth. However, I think they blew it when Nick left angry at the end of Redrum and everything was fine in the next episode. There should have still been some tension between him and Catherine and did something when Grissom returned and he found about it. Up the miss the mark there.

Keppler was ok. Like Grissom, he was a quirky character.

Loved Nick singing to Mandy. It's those little things that make CSI great.

Season seven was definitely the season that CSI took a wrong turn and went with GSR. Sorry, but it ruined the show to a certain degree.

The emphasis on GSR was...a little much at times(Dead Doll ceased to be about Natalie and the Minis. It could have basically been titled, "Jorja Fox Has To Leave The Show So Let's Set Up Some Conflict")but after 6 years of wanting some interaction between the two characters it was only right to allow them to have some fun this season with their relationship. I thought season 7 was a fairly nice season. It was different but in a good way.

Back