Science in the news

Yay!

I'll try to find some interesting articles, ones that hopefully won't bore anyone to pieces.

Heres one:

Michael Jackson, the law & psychology

For the record, I dont really agree with the author of this article. But its still interesting.

Here's one for the Moms out there:
Mom, Give Yourself a Break!

And here's two for the teens out there:

Teens and Body Image

How Teens Spend their Time

And one for all of you happy people out there:

The Science of Happiness

And for everyone who has a cellphone:

Cell Phone Addiction

FOR THE RECORD: I've tried to keep these as non-controversial and non-boring as humanly possible (except for maybe the first one).

Hey csifreakaholic - thanks for posting those ;) Well, all that stuff about MJ I never knew, especially the stuff that he did/happened to him when he was younger and growing up with his family. And thank goodness I'm no longer a teenager! (not that I was ever really like that anyway) :D

Are people really that addicted to their phones? :eek: I'm a student and I'm sure I could live without mine for a few days - after all, there are other methods of communication :rolleyes: though obviously I understand about people who really need them because they constantly have to keep in touch, like business people :)

I'll post another article mid-week sometime - maybe Wednesday or Thursday. ;)

Robocop is here?

Robot guards to patrol shops and offices
Jun 23, 12:04 PM (ET)

TOKYO (Reuters) - Burglars beware, robot guards are here.

In an idea straight out of science fiction, robots could soon begin patrolling Japanese offices, shopping malls and banks to keep them safe from intruders. Equipped with a camera and sensors, the "Guardrobo D1," developed by Japanese security firm Sohgo Security Services Co., is designed to patrol along pre-programed paths and keep an eye out for signs of trouble.

The 109-cm tall robot will alert human guards via radio and by sending camera footage if it detects intruders, fires, or even water leaks.

Such robots are vital from a business standpoint when considering Japan's aging population, Sohgo Security said.

"In the near future, it is certain that securing young and capable manpower will become even more difficult ... and the security industry will feel the full brunt of the impact," the company said in a statement.

Around one in five Japanese are now 65 or over and the proportion is expected to rise to one in three in 2040, according to government data.

Sohgo Security is negotiating with several clients, and after an initial trial run hopes to begin offering a robot-assisted security system within a year, the company said.

Pricing has yet to be decided.

>>> Pasers on stun? <<<

Riot control ray gun worries scientists
Published: July 20, 2005, 12:22 PM PDT
By Reuters
From CNet's News.com

Scientists are questioning the safety of a Star Wars-style riot control ray gun due to be deployed in Iraq next year.

The Active Denial System weapon, classified as "less lethal" by the Pentagon, fires a 95GHz microwave beam at rioters to cause heating and intolerable pain in less than five seconds.

The discomfort is designed to prompt people caught in the microwave beam to move away from it, thereby allowing riot-control personnel to break up and manage a crowd.

But New Scientist magazine reported Wednesday that during tests carried out at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, participants playing the part of rioters were told to remove glasses and contact lenses to protect their eyes.

In another test they were also told to remove metal objects such as coins from their clothing to prevent local hot spots from developing on their skin.

"What happens if someone in a crowd is unable for whatever reason to move away from the beam?" asked Neil Davison, coordinator of the nonlethal weapons research project at Britain's Bradford University.

"How do you ensure that the dose doesn't cross the threshold for permanent damage? Does the weapon cut out to prevent overexposure?"

The magazine said a vehicle-mounted version of the weapon named Sheriff was scheduled for service in Iraq in 2006 and that U.S. Marines and police were both working on portable versions.

This sounds like a cool, though a little scary idea ;) obviously, like the article states, they would have to be cautious with the device, and do rigorous tests (hopefully) to make sure it doesn't damage anyone's health - it could be pretty serious if it did. I wonder how much this cost to develop? I would wonder if perhaps there are safer ways to manage a crowd ;) but I guess if they can prove it's safe and works well, then they'll probably use it.

Thanks for posting Dynamo :) - you know, I gave up on this thread eventually...not enough people interested in Science these days, I guess it isn't cool anymore :eek: no wonder I hide in Forensic Science so much :eek: :D speaking of which, where the hell's Agertays gone to?? I miss him :(

Finnish broadband equipment maker Teleste claims to have a new Ethernet-to-the-home product which could boost cable modem speeds up to 100 megabits per second. The technology could debut as early as 2006. It's 50 times faster than today's average cable broadband speeds, Jukka Rinnevaara, CEO of the small cap manufacturer, told Reuters.

*giggles at jukka*

Sorry. It must be a common name in Finland. *giggles again*

But great for the finnish, they've invented another thing. :D

Space, the final frontier...

Discovery Set for July 1 Launch

The Space Shuttle Discovery and its seven-member crew are set to launch from NASA's Kennedy Space Center at 3:49 p.m. EDT on Saturday, July 1.

Commander Steve Lindsey and his crew will continue evaluating new shuttle safety improvements during the 12-day mission. They'll also carry supplies and a third crew member to the International Space Station. At least two spacewalks are planned.

Whoa! This thread of mine is old! :eek: :lol:

Thanks for the info Dynamo, I didn't know they were launching it today - going to read up some more about that now. I always like, erm... space stuff :)

I didnt know they were planning a new space launch. Where to! The moon? ;)

Trust you to be interested in this kind of thing, Dave. :p

kazzy said:
Trust you to be interested in this kind of thing, Dave. :p
Better yet, I am on loan to a hotel in Orange City, Florida, helping to train some new staff members. I get to see the launch (weather permitting)from my boss's house, about 60 miles away.

ETA Cocoa Beach FL forecast: Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 87. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Maybe Major Nelson can get Jeannie to remove the threat of rain.

Edited to add: Due to weather problems, today's launch has been scrubbed and had be rescheduled for Sunday, July 2, at 3:26pm Eastern time, weather permitting.

actually the internet is over 20 years old. sorry learnt that one in college. what about that drugs firm that did those clinical trials in uk (TeGenero) the volunteers who tested the drug TGN1412 SUFFERED MULTIPLE ORGAN FAILURE.(sorry caps) well the company has filed for bankrupcy.
which i think is the best thing for it.
what does anyone else think about drug testing?
dont know if this is the right thread?

Dynamo1 said:
Better yet, I am on loan to a hotel in Orange City, Florida, helping to train some new staff members. I get to see the launch (weather permitting)from my boss's house, about 60 miles away.

ETA Cocoa Beach FL forecast: Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 87. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Maybe Major Nelson can get Jeannie to remove the threat of rain.

Edited to add: Due to weather problems, today's launch has been scrubbed and had be rescheduled for Sunday, July 2, at 3:26pm Eastern time, weather permitting.
Hey Dynamo,at the end,Were you able to see the Discovery's launch yesterday?

Back