Science in the news

wibble

Corpse
Hey guys, in response to TBonz's suggestions/overhaul of the Misc forum I thought I'd start this thread as I thought it would be interesting to keep up with developing science in the real world and learn some stuff about what's going on out there :D I'm not really into Chemistry or Physics, so if people who are would like to post news articles (or put links in to them), then please do, as I'm a Biologist so I'll probably just be putting up Biology articles :) I also want every to be welcome here so please join in if you find anything interesting! :cool:

Just as a note, there is a thread in the Forensic Science forum on this board if people find news articles specific to that field (just to avoid confusion and prevent this thread from being locked). Thanks ;)

The first one I'm going to post is about how the DNA of prehistoric cave bears has now been sequnced, and hopefully this will lead to us being able to find out more about the Neandertals (our nearest relatives). I think this is quite a breakthrough as ancient DNA is very difficult to recover and is usually very degraded. This article reminds me of Jurassic Park :) Hope you all enjoy it too - I'm going to post two links, one to a more detailed version and one to a more condensed version from the New Scientist website.

Detailed

Condensed

Let me know what you all think! ;)

Good deal...this will be a good thread for general science areas...thanks for mentioning the specific forensic science threads and I want to encourage anyone to post interesting articles and whatnot in there to open up discussions, as well as interesting articles and the like in this thread for discussions!

Thanks, wibble1 and I'm looking forward to this thread!! :) :D

urgh, I thought I just posted in here. Obviously not. :mad: :D

Anyway, I thought that two links were pretty interesting (I'm a biology dork) and it's so fascinating how they are able to extract DNA from a 40000yr old cave bear and comparing it to bears and dogs nowadays. :D That's so freaking cool!

urgh, I thought I just posted in here. Obviously not. :mad: :D

Anyway, I thought that two links were pretty interesting (I'm a biology dork) and it's so fascinating how they are able to extract DNA from a 40000yr old cave bear and comparing it to bears and dogs nowadays. :D That's so freaking cool!

I'm glad some poeple are interested at least :rolleyes: I'll see if I can find another article later today or maybe over the next couple of days :) Glad you guys like it! ;) Maybe I try and find articles that might appeal to people more or ones that are easier to understand for non-scientists :D ;)

its amazing how these days we can do things like that!
Just 10 years ago we didn't have the internet, and look how far that has come!
Look at how far DNA has come, 20 years ago we didn't have the power and knowledge to extract DNA, but now we can date a mummy back 40,000 years by DNA!!!

I think that is freaking cool!!!!

I agree! I love these TV shows where they show how they use new technology on an ancient mummy or something, and what we can deduce from it. I saw one recently on Tutankhamun (sorry, I know that's spelt wrong) which was fascinating coz they were using technology to try and find out exactly how he died - it was fascinating!!

I think it's amazing what we can do now and what developments in technology will bring in future years, though sometimes I wonder whether it will just end up causing more harm than good if you see what I mean :)

I don't know if this fits here, but here it is anyway. Its actually astronomy based, but thats science right?

Earth's "Bigger Cousin" Detected

And another one:

Blasting a Hole in a Comet

And on the same topic (from another viewpoint)

Hubble Telescope to View Comet Collision

These two events are the only things happening in the world of astronomy in the last while

csifreakaholic! What would I do without you?!! *sobs* thanks for resurrecting this thread, and you other guys too! I was gonna post something else in it but as I didn't have any replies to my last post in this thread, I didn't wanna get busted for double-posting :(

To help celebrate the resurrection of this thread I'll post a linky for you. Hmmm,... ok, here's a nice short one about a new species of jellyfish I think you may like to cast your eyes over. I love jellyfish - they're so cool, the way they look all innocent but actually can be harmful and some very toxic/dangerous :D. Hmm, maybe I'll look up some more info about this later and find out which ones are really dangerous etc. Enjoy! ;)

csifreakaholic! What would I do without you?!! *sobs* thanks for resurrecting this thread, and you other guys too! I was gonna post something else in it but as I didn't have any replies to my last post in this thread, I didn't wanna get busted for double-posting :(

You're welcome. I got a favour to ask of you, can I post the interesting psychology articles I find on here in your thread?

Psychology IS a type of science, after all.

And don't worry about the "double-posting" thing. The Mods here are pretty nice about that sort of thing as long as it doesn't become a habit. (I think!)

Thanks csifreakaholic - yes, psychology articles are most welcome :) Look forward to them ;) and thanks for the tip about double-posting - appreciated :)

Yay!

I'll try to find some interesting articles, ones that hopefully won't bore anyone to pieces.

Heres one:

Michael Jackson, the law & psychology

For the record, I dont really agree with the author of this article. But its still interesting.

Bipolar Disorder in the USA

Heres one of interest to people who like psychology, not one for people who dont.
*PS. You have to press skip this welcome screen to see the article*

Here's one for the Moms out there:
Mom, Give Yourself a Break!

And here's two for the teens out there:

Teens and Body Image

How Teens Spend their Time

And one for all of you happy people out there:

The Science of Happiness

And for everyone who has a cellphone:

Cell Phone Addiction

FOR THE RECORD: I've tried to keep these as non-controversial and non-boring as humanly possible (except for maybe the first one).

Back