Photography Competition: CSI - WINNERS UP!

Re: Photography Competition: CSI

I was thinking about entering this competition but I'm just looking for clarification about one of the rules:

BlueCurl said:
4. The photograph must NOT be manipulated in any way using Photoshop or any other such program. This competition is about how good a photograph you can take, not about what you can do with an image using Photoshop, etc. That is what the Fan Art forum is for.

What exactly do you mean by manipulation? I know it might seem obvious, but to me that would involve adding or changing the photograph using picture editing software, but in the last challenge two of the photographs had borders on them which I assume were added after the photograph was taken using some editing software? :confused: So, is it OK to add stuff like that to the picture?

Manipulating photos:

For the saturation, white/color balance, levels part... Those can be set by hand before taking a photograph by hand with SLR camera's. If I shot an image in raw format I can still change those even after I shot the photo. So if that is really changing a photo I don't know. People are commonly argueing about that around the globe... For one part those things you make appear with the balance, leveling or saturation are already in your image but is not the way you took it. For some okay for some not. I'm not going to say you can or cannot do that.. It is not visible anyways unless you really take it to the extreme but that also ruins your photograph most of the time!

Burn tool.. i.e. Photoshop... Basicly it is not allowed.

Sharpen... When applied good it is not noticeable... When it is you have a problem :p

Borders do not manipulate the photo... It just adds something to it that makes your and other brains think it’s like a complete piece of work and since you do not mess with the photograph itself I’m allowing borders.

Cropping: I always take a lot of photos with the goal to crop since I cannot get into a better position or my zoom hasn’t got enough reach and so on. So then it would raise the question if it is manipulation or not. In one way I already had that image in my mind with the crop bfore taking the photo... On the other hand I do cut a piece of photo away. Could go both ways. I have seen many cropped photos even before I was running this competition here and I’m pro cropping so that is why I allow cropping.

Filters & layers... No way. simple as that... That is pure manipulation. (With filters I mean the ones that put a effect to a photo by using a photo editing program.. not the filters that can be put onto lenses)

Rotate. Like putting that horizon straight and so on. Some as cropping...

Any other questions about other photo editing tools... Feel free to ask! :rolleyes:

Hopes this helps...

SpeedleCSIMiami said:
I have a question, the series photos you want that all one huge photo??

See the extras of the theme.. it's in there...

erm, i have no photo software what-so-ever so i guess im out for the series photo. i would have no way of putting 3 photos together! :lol: at least i already got my csi photo in, cant wait to see what other people came up with!

For the ones not having photo software... If you send in your 3 photos for the serie shoot before I go on my holiday I can fit them into one file. However you have to mention how you want them in the file..

I am trusting you guys for your honesty that I'm not merging all those entries :lol:

With these competitions, I have always considered cropping to be a form of manipulation, so I haven't cropped any of my photos. Couldn't that be considered a means of making the photo better than it really is? e.g, if someone takes a photo with too much sky, they could just remove some of the sky. Then again, if we're all allowed to do that, it is an even playing field.

Also, many people don't have editing software, so I'm wondering if adding things (eg. borders) to enhance a photo could be a slightly unfair advantage.

I realize this is just a bit of fun, but I'm just throwing my thoughts out there really! ;)

I agree with Lucy. If its something that can't be done with the camera itself (adding filters to the lens, setting color tones if its digital), then to me its manipulation (using ps to crop, sharpen etc..).

Just my two cents.

Sent my CSI photo in, finished the Series, and not to just figure out Abandoned and then I can send the last 2 in. :D

For the ones spilling their thoughts. I rather have that than everyones stays quiet in some chair behind their desk.

Since I am not going to change anything during a competition the previous mentioned rules apply for the CSI theme. I haven't recieved a rules risking photo for either serieshoot or abandoned shoot. For those themes and any following theme these below rules will apply.

Sorry for things to be a little messy and unclear at the moment. I'll add the following rules to the initial post as well when we start with the next themes.

RULES FOR PHOTO MANIPULATION (themes serie shoot, abandoned & following)
1. Additions on your camera; setting manual options, filters, other than the normal lenses, etc are all allowed.

2. Saturation, white balance, colour balance, levels; NOT AFTER taking the photo.

3. Burn, sharpen, borders, filters (editing program filters), layers; Not allowed

4. Cropping; Allowed

5. Rotating; If you have a photo taken with the long side as the height you have to rotate it when it comes from your camera. Of course that 90 degrees rotate is allowed. To put horizons straight and sort of stuff will be considered as manipulation.

Even though most of the manipulation can be done without being noticed. I trust you guys on your honesty! If someone wants to use another tool that is not here on the list you can always ask me if it is allowed or not and I'll add it to this rules list as well.

No borders?

They aren't really manipulating a photo. Borders add a finishing touch to the photo, just as a perfect gleam of the sun does. It's a frame, you're not directly editing anything. I don't really see how they distinguish between a "real" shot and an edited one. :confused:

Rules are rules, but I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

Most people don't use borders or frames on their pictures. So would it be fair if someone else did the same? To me not using border and frames or any other additions ensures that everyone has a fair chance. Using objects in a picture to frame seems to be allowed though.

I've made all the changes in photoshop or something a no go as it basicly was... I was really doubting about both borders and cropping...

Both borders and cropping were allowed before I ran these competitions. Because a lot of people were spilling their thoughts about them.. both here and by PM. I made the decision to pick one that (borders) I will not allow in the future and one (cropping) that I will still allow. So both sides would meet with each other.

I'm not going to change the above rules as they are now. It is already a little messy now and I don't want to make it worse.

One more day and a few hours before the deadline for the ones that still want to send in their photograph!

---- VOTING TIME ----
You can decide who's the best photographer in this round! Read the rules, watch all the photos and vote!

---- RULES ----
READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE VOTING:

1) First, and most importantly, please look at ALL of the photographs submitted before deciding on which ones get your vote. All you have to do is click on the link to each photo. This is so everyone has a fair chance of getting a vote and therefore a banner.

2) Don't vote for your own photo - why anyone would want to do such a silly thing is beyond me, but if you do, I will know and your photo will be disqualified from the competition.

3) The same thing applies if you reveal which photo is yours. This competition is an anonymous one.

4) Don't tell your friends which photo is yours so that they'll vote for it - that is a sad and pathetic thing to do, not to mention unfair on all the other competitors.

5) I don't want to see any unnecessary negative comments about any of the photos (i.e. no bashing). There is no need for it.

6) Please only vote for 3 photos.

You should give your first vote to whichever photo you like best, your second vote to whichever photo you like second best etc. It is important that you do it like this. Whoever has the most points at the end of voting wins, with the contestant that has the second highest number of points getting second place, etc.

---- PHOTOS ----

Good luck to all the entrants, and thank you for your photos. Fantastic work guys! Here they all are:

01. ___ 02. ___ 03.

04. ___ 05. ___ 06.

07. ___ 08. ___ 09.

---- IMPORTANT ----

Please PM me if you don't see your photo!

Back